• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokedex Entry 13: Wolf

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
First, of course wolfs smashes are faster, but charizards Usmash is pretty good here, specially on building damage, because charizard is probably not going to KO wolf at the top of the screen, wolf is gonna die at the side, on the bottom because he went too far and couldnt recover or being gimped by zard. About the tilts, the forward and down tilt outrange wolf, and dtilt is quick, charizard wins in the tilts department, wolf has better air game, blaster botters zard, but flametrhower also botter wolf, charizard outranges wolf "at close range" and can shieldgrab him... i see it as 55-45 or 40-60 for zard

Fearmy

Smash Ace
First, of course wolfs smashes are faster, but charizards Usmash is pretty good here, specially on building damage, because charizard is probably not going to KO wolf at the top of the screen, wolf is gonna die at the side, on the bottom because he went too far and couldnt recover or being gimped by zard. About the tilts, the forward and down tilt outrange wolf, and dtilt is quick, charizard wins in the tilts department, wolf has better air game, blaster botters zard, but flametrhower also botter wolf, charizard outranges wolf "at close range" and can shieldgrab him... i see it as 55-45 or 40-60 for zard
it is very tough to approach Wolf, this probably is a disadvantage, Zard owns close range, wolf owns in the air and w/ the blaster. but what i mean to say is that the smashes clank, my bad (or atleast that's how i remember it, but eh doesn't really matter much wolf is too good :( ).

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
55:45 squirtle
45:55 charizard
40:60 ivysaur
45:55 pt

that's the consensus gheb and i came to. you can continue to argue it, but that's what i'll update into the chart, and gheb has updated it into his index.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
I somewhat agree with steeler, except i think charizard should be neutral, but overall those numbers are ok
@charizard92:Squirtle is the only one with an advantage acording to steeler

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
zard gets camped hard. i think we are fortunate to get near neutral here.

Toby.

Smash Master
zard gets camped hard. i think we are fortunate to get near neutral here.
QFT. Zard gets camped really, really hard. It's very hard to space wolf because he has blaster shots and the wall of wolf. Moving past those he has a faster jab that charizard and so can hit charizard out of the grab release -> jab string.

The main problem as I see it is that Charizard's spacing game suffers a lot when he can't get into the air. His poor walking speed stops him from making fine adjustments on the ground, and so when we face a character like wolf who boasts excellent aerial control things get real hard.

Jabbing, grabbing and dtilt are about the only things charizard can do that will keep up with wolf's speed. Even then it's so hard to pin him down that life is still very difficult.

I hate this matchup so much. So much.

It has always seemed like at least 60:40 to me. But I'm happy to go with the majority.

For the record I've played plenty of wolfs, so I think I know a little about this matchup.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle: Avoid the swing of a gun when they shoot lazers, it's basically the only thing that wolf can use to start a combo that Squirtle can't DI out of.

Ivy: Stay on the ground. If he gets you in the air, it's game over.

Charizard: SH back and Rock smash is always handy against an approaching wolf. Try to keep up with wolf's air game, avoid constant Dsmashes to be King of the ground.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
the one huge thing in zard's favor is off stage game completely dominates wolf. at high levels of play, a pro pt should be able to always gimp/kill wolf.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Yeah but wolf pretty much dominates most of the match. Thats why I am giving it the 40:60. When in killing range, zard certainly has the options to decimate wolf, but that option isn't the natural one.

Toby.

Smash Master
Potentially, yes. At those low %'s wolf also has a plethora of options that leave gimping him anything but easy. Charizard also has to get past wolf's very reliable spacing just to get a shot at the grab. Also remember that the grab->bthrow->fthrow only works at low percentages, so as soon as we damage him a little that advantage goes out the window.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
I was not talking about the btrhow to fthrow, its not reliable. I was talking about something like a single fthrow or bthrow near the edge, a ftilt or dtilt, etc... but i agree on that wolf may evade the gimp ( my wolf's recovery sucks a lot, gotta work on that), anyway charizard still has some stuff going for him, so its not a **** matchup, i like it 55-45 but if you wanna do it 40-60 i can see why

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
here is gheb's insight (wolf main)

Squirtle:

The hardest pkmn for Wolf. Squirtle would easily have the advantage, if he wasn't so easy to KO. His mobility in the air, his small size and his fast moves make him hard to pressure or let's better say impossible to pressure. Be campy. Stay on teh ground, use your best options out of shield and finish him asap

55:45 Squirtle

Ivysaur:

Ivysaur is easier. She has some overpowered finishers, be aware of them. Other than that she's got nothing on you. Wolfs faster and easily outcamps her. He's also better in the air. You should stay out of the air though. Ivys anti-air game is good. She's easily finished as she lacks a decent recover

60:40 Wolf

Charizard.:

The easiest Pkmn for Wolf. He's huge and slow so use agressinvely bair to pressure him into oblivion. He's very slow in the air and on the ground so use your mobility to zone him and get him pff the stage. Don't try to gimp him though. His recovery has SA frames, which makes him hard to gimp for Wolf. It shouldn't be necesary though.

65:35 Wolf

Overall...it's hard to say. The longer Squirtle is in play, the harder it get's. But since Wolf has the advantage over Ivy and Zard it should be slightly in Wolfs favour...I guess

Discuss

and here is mine

okay. squirtle combos wolf to hell. squirtle's utilt on low percent wolf means like 50% when done correctly. water gun is a lulzy option for gimps, but squirtle's aerials can also do the job just fine, particularly dair due to its trajectory. camping isn't going to bother squirtle at all, he likes being in the air. dsmash is probably squirtle's biggest fear because of its trajectory.

55:45 to 60:40 advantage for squirtle.

ivysaur is outcamped. but that's alright. up close, ivysaur outranges all of wolf's options with bair, ftilt, and jabs. bullet seed does a load of damage on wolf because of his fall speed, and a blocked fsmash is a good opportunity for it. ivysaur can gimp wolf with frequent bairs, and instant tether kills a wolf needing to sweetspot, which is difficult enough as it is. both can gimp each other pretty well.

it's close to neutral, imo.

charizard is bad for wolf, honestly. he can shieldgrab anything wolf does in the air. and charizard is not slow. both attack and movement wise. flamethrower does ridiiiiiiiiiiculous amounts of damage to a recovering wolf. i'm talking like 30% bare minimum. and wolf will have to di away, back off stage. flamethrower as an approach is a good option. reflectored flamethrower will just clash with the rest of the flames, so that isn't a problem. but power shielding the lasers to get into range is fine enough. out of shield zard will be able to grab wolf out of a lot of things. zard can also kill wolf pretty well, dtilt has a nasty horizontal angle that wolf will not be able to recover from at like 100%, when complemented with an edge hug.

advantage charizard.
Yeah, this is a pretty iffy situation, flamethrower can be usefull but you'd have to pull it out of the blue and use it. Like you said flamethrower> recovering Wolf. Squirtle stands some chance, it's just he is a decently easy kill to C-stick spammers. Ivy, wouldnt suggest spamming Razorleaf(kinda obvius) ummm I think Ivy stands a good chance with his Nair, Dair, Fair and he can rack a few % with his Bair. What I usually do is combo with Nair and Ftilt, I think this would be effective. Otherwise I cant think of anymore I want to say.
I played a Wolf yesterday evening in Wi-Fi with no lag, and the Wolf used an onslaught of lasers to keep me away. He did a big keep away game and when I try to get in close, he just back hopped away even further. Charzy was racking damage and Squirtle was trying to get some hits. Though Ivy couldn't smash him with upsmash much at all. It was just so laggy on the move itself. With him using his shield to shine hit to stun, he was able to use it while I was close to the edge to affect the pokemon negatively. I remember my Squirtle got hit and he was knocked off the stage and couldn't recover. In a few matches I was getting close to possibly win, but that keep away game was really working me over. :( Any tips for that? He seems like a good Wolf player. I played against his Marth far better than his Wolf.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Ugh last night I faced a Wolf that kept jumping high in the air and my guys couldnt really touch him so I dont know how to face against a Wolf player. Who plays defensivly, like what moves to use against Wolf.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Ugh last night I faced a Wolf that kept jumping high in the air and my guys couldnt really touch him so I dont know how to face against a Wolf player. Who plays defensivly, like what moves to use against Wolf.
yeah the Wolf I played did that too, especially if I wanted to jump up to vine whip him. It was always out of range. Plus this Wolf shuts you down for even trying to do an upsmash with all the lasers and use of shield. I could only really rely on side smash. He was one tough character. :(

Top Bottom