• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Platinum

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=1330]Pokemon Platinum[/drupal]

This game is awesome, its arguably the best 4th gen game ever created. I love all of the freedom you get on it too, things like getting Gardevoir and Electivire when you fight Volkner for the first time or getting other pokes really early. And other things like like teaming up with NPCs like Ms. Cheryl or Buck, and together you two pwn stuff with style and get completely healed afterwards
To top it off we have the best mascot ever, my buddy.....GIRATINA!!!!

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
True, 3rd Gen was too goodz. I like Platinum more though because of its better graphics and everything overall XD Emerald will always stay with me though, I will never forget it..never. :)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
brb trainin' mai uberz

pokesmashfighter won the thread over, 1st and 2nd were the only really good games.
Hoenn and Sinnoh are fun, but they can't compare, they just have too many problems that got fixed.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
This game is awesome, its arguably the best 4th gen game ever created.
Well, considering there are basically only two and this one is the only "improved" version...it'd be hard to argue otherwise. =P

And other things like like teaming up with NPCs like Ms. Cheryl or Buck, and together you two pwn stuff with style and get completely healed afterwards
That was actually in Diamond and Pearl, too.

From how far I am, it's certainly better than Diamond and Pearl, but I haven't gotten to a point where I think I'm going to really notice the difference yet. The only difference thus far is the expansion of the Sinnoh Dex -- which is nice, since I can build a creative team rather than being stuck with the same type of theme. Most of the changes come later on in-game, though, and I'm only training for the third gym now, so I haven't really noticed a lot of the changes yet.

It's certainly good, better than Diamond/Pearl, but they were my least favorite games yet, so that doesn't say a whole lot. I wouldn't say it beats out Emerald for me yet, probably doesn't beat out Ruby/Sapphire, definitely doesn't beat out anything before that. First gen = Second gen > Third gen >>>>> Fourth gen.

§leepy God

Smash Master
My friend loves this game so much, his favroite character is the girl trainer and he started as her. >.>

Yea, this game is great, though I don't have wifi still, lol.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
I think 4th gen is a bit too slow, but I think I only like 3rd gen for the nostalgia of the music and the PERFECT graphics, but I like the music in the 2nd and 1st gen.

I like the expansion of the dex. I CANZ GETZ SCIZORZ!

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
pokesmashfighter won the thread over, 1st and 2nd were the only really good games.
Hoenn and Sinnoh are fun, but they can't compare, they just have too many problems that got fixed.
They just seem more fun in comparison because we were younger back then.

Really, Emerald was the best game so far. Battle frontier, 'nuff said. 2nd gen got old way before Emerald did.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Emerald only had some of my favorite Pokemon. It was a fun experience, but just couldn't compare to these others. Even now, I still like them better.

Being able to get Pikachu, Squirtle, Charmander, AND Bulbasaur in Yellow version? That was just amazing.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
3rd Gen was my favourite, probably cuz Ruby was my first Pokemon game I owned. I remember not liking Pokemon much around when Emerald came out, and telling myself that if I didn't buy it I would soon not like Pokemon at all. I bought it, and I have to say that was the best Pokemon game I had ever played. I completed the Pokedex without cheating too, which makes me like that game a lot more. I have about 400 hours on that game.

Platinum is pretty good too, there's a lot of things that struck me as impressive when I first played it. Even though I didn't understand a word of the storyline except my name, [and my rival's name] it was a great game that really made up for the dumb stuff in the previous games. I'm mad that I can't go on the GTS without having to look at the Japanese>English translations of the game though...

:035:

Arbutus

Smash Rookie
Lolololol I miss Red version now. <3 I cried in Lavander Town, no joke.

I was one MASCULEEEEN child.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They just seem more fun in comparison because we were younger back then.

Really, Emerald was the best game so far. Battle frontier, 'nuff said. 2nd gen got old way before Emerald did.
:laugh::bee::):ohwell::(:crying::cry:

Zook, you always win. So if you say something failtastic, then you cause a paradox. Don't create paradoxes. They cause the universe to poke everyone in the universe in the eye simultaneously.

QED; Not allowed.

Nostalgia certainly does help them, but think about it this way; we wouldn't be discussing the games today if the original games weren't good and popular enough to spawn sequels and such.

Plus, while I believe first gen is the best, "lol battle frontier" isn't a good argument against second gen. Second region > area with interesting battles.

Third gen was great, HIGHLY underrated (mostly because people bash it incessantly), and Emerald was amazing. But first and second gen aren't loved only for nostalgia.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
:laugh::bee::):ohwell::(:crying::cry:

Zook, you always win. So if you say something failtastic, then you cause a paradox. Don't create paradoxes. They cause the universe to poke everyone in the universe in the eye simultaneously.

QED; Not allowed.

Nostalgia certainly does help them, but think about it this way; we wouldn't be discussing the games today if the original games weren't good and popular enough to spawn sequels and such.

Plus, while I believe first gen is the best, "lol battle frontier" isn't a good argument against second gen. Second region > area with interesting battles.
It depends on why you play Pokemon, I suppose.

2nd gen has day/night, access to two seperate regions (one of which has the benefit of nostalgia), and, as some may say, a better all-around region. And nostalgia, of course. But replay value? Sure, you could catch 'em all, but without friends, the game becomes pretty boring.

3rd gen (more specifically Emerald) has secret bases (tons of fun), vastly different areas, and the Battle Frontier. But it has TONS of more replay value than, say, Red version, simply because of the Battle Frontier. Once you beat everyone in any of the previous games, you either could not battle them again (with the exception of the E4, of course), or had to wait for them to call you (could you call them?). And they weren't very challenging when your Pokemon got up to the higher levels. In Emerald, however, the Battle Frontier presented an entire new way to continue your adventure, and even get better at the game itself. You couldn't have a level 100 Charizard with Fire Blast, Hyper Beam, Flamethrower, and Fly and get very far in any of the battle facilities (or whatever they were called).

If I could only play 1 Pokemon game for the rest of my life, I see no reason why to pick any game other than Emerald.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
I gotta say, Pokemon Platinum is my favorite game. Although I think the first generation of pokemon is the best, platinum is the best game.

Not gonna lie, I didnt even start playing pokemon til a few years ago. In fact LeefGreen was my first game. Now that was a good game. I actually completed the game without cheating in any way. I know its a remake of RBY, but it was still very fun.

Then, like a year ago, my friend gave me ruby. That game is really fun too, except i think the 3rd generation of pokemon is the worst. In fact, i still havent beaten ruby cause i kinda lost interest.

But then again, look at platinum. it has almost everything. good gym battles, a ton of pokemon, a battle frontier, and a ton of stuff to do on wifi. I like platinum the best cause of all the things you can do after you beat the pokemon champion.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
:mad::mad:

It depends on why you play Pokemon, I suppose.

2nd gen has day/night, access to two seperate regions (one of which has the benefit of nostalgia), and, as some may say, a better all-around region. And nostalgia, of course. But replay value? Sure, you could catch 'em all, but without friends, the game becomes pretty boring.

3rd gen (more specifically Emerald) has secret bases (tons of fun), vastly different areas, and the Battle Frontier. But it has TONS of more replay value than, say, Red version, simply because of the Battle Frontier. Once you beat everyone in any of the previous games, you either could not battle them again (with the exception of the E4, of course), or had to wait for them to call you (could you call them?). And they weren't very challenging when your Pokemon got up to the higher levels. In Emerald, however, the Battle Frontier presented an entire new way to continue your adventure, and even get better at the game itself. You couldn't have a level 100 Charizard with Fire Blast, Hyper Beam, Flamethrower, and Fly and get very far in any of the battle facilities (or whatever they were called).

If I could only play 1 Pokemon game for the rest of my life, I see no reason why to pick any game other than Emerald.
But replay value isn't everything. While I love replay value and am a very big fan of it, most of the time, what you used to be really entertained by gets boring. Whereas, if the game has a solid storyline (for lack of a better word, I just mean the main adventure), you can technically go back and replay it and have more fun than you could from just the same thing over and over again. I mean, I think the game I've put some of the most hours into (possibly, although it's hard to say for sure since I don't know any of my hours for sure) is probably Metroid Fusion -- because I've replayed it 28 times.
Even further along that path, if replay value really meant the best game, we'd be talking about how fourth gen is the obvious victor. Online battling/trading. And I'm pretty sure neither of us think that, Zook. =P

First gen ACTUALLY wins for me. It's not just nostalgia, although I know everyone thinks it is (with fairly good reason). Here, let me quote my arguments from a thread in the Poke Center from a while back.

The series has definitely progressed since R/B/G/Y; shiny Pokemon didn't exist, Natures and Abilities were created, better graphics made, more complex plots, a divided bag...lots of stuff. Too many things to name. Things were changed, like Magnemite and Bite's type once Dark and Steel were introduced. Even Gust changed types--it used to be Normal. It thoroughly confused me when I was replaying the games, but that's because I'm used to the new.

In any case, I think the original games were the best. The sprites contained an originality that hasn't been matched at all since those games. Now the sprites look great, but something about them almost bores me a bit. You never get bored of the original sprites. The music of the original games was also, in my opinion, the best music yet. The music of the Silph Co. in particular was REALLY memorable and awesome. I bet it'd sound really great if someone did a metal remix of it. The music all perfectly matched the situation, and the cries of the Pokemon are still being used today. Thank god they haven't changed. While they could update them since they're still Gameboy quality, (especially for the 3D games) the cries are good enough that, while it would be nice to have them upgraded simply so they sound better (same exact cry with better quality, in other words), it's not necessary.

As for [the argument of] competitivity...for a game like Pokemon where single player is the majority of the game, I say bah to any sort of regards to competitivity. It's great if you want to compete and have tournamnets for it, but you can't say a game is worse for not being something it's not supposed to be. And if the first game in the series wasn't competitively viable, that should've set the standard, and the addition of that ability for newer games should be an addition. For the topic of Smash Bros, it was viable competitively for the first two games, and now in Brawl, it is no longer because Sakurai didn't want us to play that way. Not to start that debate here, but as a counter-example; Pokemon is competitive as an extra, Smash Bros is not.

Plus, as you may or may not know about me, I am a retro gaming type of guy. I almost always love the original better, or at least one of the older games. I like A Link to the Past best for Zelda, Super Metroid best for Metroid, and Donkey Kong 64 best for the Donkey Kong games. On that topic, I'll quote myself from another thread:

New games have killed video games forever. It's doubtful that the same concept of just having a game to play to have fun will ever come back; now we NEED a text-heavy plot, amazing graphics, a million and one additions, and games have to have a purpose; Wii Fit so you can become fit, the whole Wii to "bring families together". Whatever happened to the days of the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis where games like Sonic & Knuckles needed only brief cutscenes that showed you that Knuckles is your enemy and then that Robotnik betrayed him and he's on your side now, or Super Metroid in which an intro cutscene with text was all that was necessary?

Old games will forever hold a magic that can never be obtained again, unless video game developers end their blind creation of so-called "innovation". I used to have the mindset of "new games are better". For about a month after Brawl came out, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. But I came on these boards and had my eyes opened to what gaming has become, and while it ruined some games for me, it gave a new life to old games and I wouldn't go back to my old mindset for the world.
As I say, out with the new, in with the old.
For the music argument, you can add "The Road to Cerulean from Mt. Moon". (Yes, I am going to bring that into every single Pokemon discussion I get into.)

I love all generations (yes, even fourth) in their own way; but first gen easily wins for me.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
I used to like 1st-3rd gen a lot, but when considering all of the new things you can do I lean more towards the 4th gen.

Here are a few of my dislikes of them:
1st gen: Can't run, graphics suck, and too glitchy. Or do I have to remind you all of missingno? ;)

2nd gen: Hated the fact that giant dogs always run from you, Red doesn't talk on there, Misty is supposed to like Red/Ash, and semi-good graphics.

3rd gen: With the night and day thing gone, gameplay got boring a bit.

4th: There is nothing wrong!

1st-3rd gen just have better music, everything else isn't favorable...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
1st gen: Can't run,
Fair enough, but not game-breaking.

graphics suck,
-_-
No.

They are 8-bit, but last time I checked, that didn't stop Super Mario Bros. from being a classic. Don't say they "suck". They don't suck. The graphics on the Wii suck, because they COULD be better and the Wii just didn't feel like being as advanced. For Pokemon's time, they were fine.

Also, graphics are not a good enough argument for a game being bad.

and too glitchy. Or do I have to remind you all of missingno? ;)
People that love first gen mostly love MissingNo, from what I know. I don't think they have to be reminded, nor do I think they think it's "too" glitchy.

2nd gen: Hated the fact that giant dogs always run from you,
Cresselia and Mesprit do that in fourth gen, too...

Red doesn't talk on there,
*FACEPALM*

Are you serious? You dislike second gen because ONE character doesn't say anything? That makes it all the more epic, anyways.

Misty is supposed to like Red/Ash,
No. Second gen is not the Anime. This is not relevant or true.

and semi-good graphics.
Again, graphics don't matter that much.

3rd gen: With the night and day thing gone,
It's upsetting but I barely noticed it. If you're looking for it, you notice it; otherwise, it works fine without it.

gameplay got boring a bit.
Since that's really general, it's hard for me to argue against it...I'll give you a pass on that one.

4th: There is nothing wrong!
You're right.

The Pokemon don't suck, the organization doesn't look ridiculous, there isn't a complete imbalance of types (Ponyta being the only fire type before the National Dex in D/P?), there aren't too many legendaries...

I could go on if you want.

Don't be a fanboy, please. If you say there is nothing wrong with a game, that's being a fanboy. I love Super Metroid and say it's the best game ever. But I still admit it has SOME issues. NO game is perfect.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Brawl is perfect. :)
*GGLLLAAAAARRRREEEE*

-_______________-

No.

Don't make me go off on a rant about Brawl here. Believe me, I will. =P
But I don't want this thread getting off-topic.

ndayday

BRoomer
I hope you don't think I'm serious.

Like Firus said, no game is perfect. Not one.

One of the most unnecessary yet pretty fun features in Platinum is the minigames you can play over Wi-fi. They're kinda fun, yet clearly aimed at younger kids...balloons and contraptions with confetti are definitely not the most pleasurable things for older people. Other then that, I personally hate the layout of the GTS.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, I was pretty sure you were joking. I just didn't know for absolute sure and I didn't see a way to express that very well in my post.

But yeah, I still haven't tried the minigames. Do you get anything from the minigames or are they just to play for fun?

ndayday

BRoomer
I think you get some kind of points, and as far as I can tell it isn't very useful. It's just entertainment for about 10 minutes, if you get hooked to a particular game. I still prefer the Game Corner, even though it isn't close to comparing to the GSC or RSE Game Corner in terms of a challenge. At least, that's what I think.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough, but not game-breaking.

I hate walking :p

Also, graphics are not a good enough argument for a game being bad.

Graphics are very critical, I wouldn't play a game that had bad graphics

People that love first gen mostly love MissingNo, from what I know. I don't think they have to be reminded, nor do I think they think it's "too" glitchy.

Ever since my sister caught a missingno that turned into a Lv. 100 Pigeot that only knew tackle and growl, I never liked it :mad:

Cresselia and Mesprit do that in fourth gen, too...

That doesn't mean that I don't hate them for that, the cool but annoying dogs started it :mad:

*FACEPALM*

Are you serious? You dislike second gen because ONE character doesn't say anything? That makes it all the more epic, anyways.

Yes I'm serious, I tire of the main character not talking but this is taking it a bit far, Red could of said "Lets Battle........"

No. Second gen is not the Anime. This is not relevant or true.

But how epic it would be if it were like the anime >.<

Again, graphics don't matter that much.

Graphics mean serious business

It's upsetting but I barely noticed it. If you're looking for it, you notice it; otherwise, it works fine without it.

The day and night thing made the game more realistic, besides time not moving is kinda weird....

You're right.

The Pokemon don't suck, the organization doesn't look ridiculous, there isn't a complete imbalance of types (Ponyta being the only fire type before the National Dex in D/P?), there aren't too many legendaries...

I could go on if you want.

Don't be a fanboy, please. If you say there is nothing wrong with a game, that's being a fanboy. I love Super Metroid and say it's the best game ever. But I still admit it has SOME issues. NO game is perfect.

I agree that in diamond and pearl there was an imbalance of types, but platinum changed all of that ;)

I can be a fanboy if I want, who're you to tell my not to do so? :p

I know that no game is perfect, but this game fits me and that's all there is to it. :)

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I really disliked 3rd gen for some reason. 4th gen is pwnzors, imo. Platinum looks fun too, but I don't know if I'd get it. I've already got Pearl, you see.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I hate walking :p
Then use your bike.

Then you're really shallow and are going to miss out on a lot of awesome games because you can't stand a game that doesn't look like real life.

Ever since my sister caught a missingno that turned into a Lv. 100 Pigeot that only knew tackle and growl, I never liked it :mad:
Why...does that matter at all? Oh no, you have a level 100 Pidgeot that only knows Tackle and Growl.

Release it! Wow, what a concept. Or better yet, don't catch a glitch Pokemon unless you're willing to face the consequences. In this case, considering your game is perfectly safe, I'd say the "consequences" are relatively mild.

Just because you have some really random vendetta against something doesn't mean the entire game is bad because of it.

That doesn't mean that I don't hate them for that, the cool but annoying dogs started it :mad:
And Mesprit and Cresselia continued it. Not to mention they're both crappy Pokemon in the first place.

Yes I'm serious, I tire of the main character not talking but this is taking it a bit far, Red could of said "Lets Battle........"
That's not a legitimate reason to dislike a game. At all.

But how epic it would be if it were like the anime >.<
Well, considering you wouldn't actually have to do anything because Ash would guilt all of the Gym Leaders into giving you badges...I'd say it'd pretty much suck.

Graphics mean serious business
No, they don't.

The day and night thing made the game more realistic, besides time not moving is kinda weird....
Time moves, do you not remember the clock you set in the beginning? Day and night still occur. There's just no specific schedule for Pokemon, there's no events that occur on a specific day, and there's no visible difference.

It made it more realistic but it's not game-breaking. I was more concerned about the removal of the second region than "ZOMG NIGHT'N'DAY".

I agree that in diamond and pearl there was an imbalance of types, but platinum changed all of that ;)
No, it didn't. There's still a much larger number of water Pokemon than other types and a smaller number of fire Pokemon than other types. It's just not as significant as in D/P.

I can be a fanboy if I want, who're you to tell my not to do so? :p
If you're going to be on a forum around other people, blindly defending a game and being absolutely ignorant is not going to get you any brownie points.

Being a smart alec isn't going to win you any brownie points either.

I know that no game is perfect, but this game fits me and that's all there is to it. :)
Good. Then you can like the game. Say you like the game. Don't list off inane reasons and false statements to defend the fact that you like it.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I like the game so far, but I can't call it the best 4th gen game if you are also putting in spin-offs, where as Mystery Dungeon: EOT&D take that place imo. Best pokemon games on the DS to me.

But overall, it's a GREAT improvement to Diamond/Pearl. I especially look forward to getting to the battle frontier. 3rd gen was complete without it and hopefully it completes 4th gen also.

edit: Agreeing with Zook also. Emerald was way to fun replay wise. That's what I want platinum to be also. If it has as much replay value as Emerald (discluding online functions) then I'd be the happiest guy on earth.

2edit: STAY AWAY FROM DAWN VIPER :mad088: :mad088: :mad088:

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
Graphics mean serious bussiness
I hate people who think that is true. Graphics has absolutely NOTHING to do with the gameplay and how good the game is. Sure, it helps but look at Megaman 9. That game came out last year and had NES graphics. It looked like this:

It got an 8.5/10 on Gamespot and came out on the PS3

Sonic Unleashed, another game rated by Gamespot, came out for the PS3 and had gorgeous and lush graphics. It looked like this:

It got an 3.5/10 on Gamespot and came out on the PS3. That is considered EXTREMELY HORRIBLE.

Try and argue THAT point. Graphics mean nothing.

EDIT: The SU picture doesn't like explode the screen width anymore.

Top Bottom