• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Stadium

toiletduck

Smash Rookie
Lol @ comparing baseball fields to stages.

If a field had walls that moved inward and outward throughout the game randomly, including mid-play, and the distance to each base changed then maybe that would be comparable to PS.

BTW, Stadium is a great stage, but really..it's not a "fair" competitive stage. It sucks when there is a hype match and the stage transforms and we just watch two players sit there because they both know they would be giving up their advantage to do anything other than sit there.

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
Lol @ comparing baseball fields to stages.

If a field had walls that moved inward and outward throughout the game randomly, including mid-play, and the distance to each base changed then maybe that would be comparable to PS.

BTW, Stadium is a great stage, but really..it's not a "fair" competitive stage. It sucks when there is a hype match and the stage transforms and we just watch two players sit there because they both know they would be giving up their advantage to do anything other than sit there.
You didn't actually explain how the stage is not fair. Random /= unfair. If I'm playing poker and I get a flush and you get a pair of 3's, that's completely fair.

Again, disliking a stage should not be grounds for a ban. When you win a match, use your stage ban effectively.

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
You didn't actually explain how the stage is not fair. Random /= unfair. If I'm playing poker and I get a flush and you get a pair of 3's, that's completely fair.

Again, disliking a stage should not be grounds for a ban. When you win a match, use your stage ban effectively.
you cant compare a fighting game to poker. when you get a bad hand in poker you get to fold your hand and wait for a good hand. you only lose a very small amount due to the blinds and ante. you are almost never forced into a situation where you have to play a bad hand when you know your oppenents have better ones

its not that i dont like the stage.

this is just a quick example i found.
game 2
armada gets two rock transformations and both of them just get waited out mostly. ppmd was trapped on the cliff for part of the first transformation because an upsmash or upthrow upair on top of the rock would have been a really low percent ko. ppmd had to use all of his respawn platform time and invinvcibility to try and stall for the second transformation. it didnt heavily affect the outcome of the game but even toph commented on how this transformation heavily favors fox and it was unlucky for ppmd to get a double rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEsp996TGak

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
you cant compare a fighting game to poker. when you get a bad hand in poker you get to fold your hand and wait for a good hand. you only lose a very small amount due to the blinds and ante. you are almost never forced into a situation where you have to play a bad hand when you know your oppenents have better ones

its not that i dont like the stage.

this is just a quick example i found.
game 2
armada gets two rock transformations and both of them just get waited out mostly. ppmd was trapped on the cliff for part of the first transformation because an upsmash or upthrow upair on top of the rock would have been a really low percent ko. ppmd had to use all of his respawn platform time and invinvcibility to try and stall for the second transformation. it didnt heavily affect the outcome of the game but even toph commented on how this transformation heavily favors fox and it was unlucky for ppmd to get a double rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEsp996TGak
It does favor Fox. So if you are playing against a Fox and its your counterpick, you ban the stage. Now you don't have to go there. Simple as that, right? I understand where you are coming from, I totally do, but I still don't see how the stage would ever need to be banned. The transformations slow the game down and that's okay. They don't even really happen that often.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
In that case, you'll still be able to counterpick against them afterwards should you lose.
Stadium forces you to adapt to what is going on around you, and if you can't do that then you'll surely lose. The stage is fine if you look at the mental side of it instead of just what you see happening in game.

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
like i said before. i personally love the stage. i am not trying to say it is an unfair stage with the perspective that it favors fox, and i get what your saying with adapting to the situation although when you rely too much on that logic you could also argue that items should be turned back on. obviously they shouldnt. having random transformations at random times doesnt belong in a competitive setting. in MY OPINION i think the jank of stadium is overlooked because of how great the neutral transformation is.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
The thing about the jank being overlooked I feel. Though I personally don't see it as jank so much as just a very small inconvenience.

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
how would you compare stadium to brinstar?
both stages transform randomly at random times
yes brinstar has the lava that changes edgeguarding but you can also use it to combo
i think they are kind of similar and should either both be allowed or both be banned

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Brinstar isn't perfectly flat right? I feel like that affects movement way too much. Not to mention the lava. Though I don't really like any of the illegal stages that much other than a couple so my opinion on them probably doesn't mean much.

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
just curious of your thoughts. yoshi's story and some of the stadium transformations are not flat. the lava is annoying sometimes but if you can watch it and pay attention to it, you can use it to combo with or survive longer. something i would argue players can adapt to, but i dont think it should be a legal stage. also for the record i hate playing on brinstar lol

thanks for having an actually civil debate without just throwing out "salty and bad". i definitely understand your opinions its just we have a slightly different view of what should be in legal for tournament. it is tough to say that we should ban another stage on an already short list of stages.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Yeah man. The thing with Yoshi's is that the majority of the stage is flat, only the edges are slanted, so it doesn't matter as much. I just don't think any stages should be added or removed, the list we have now is good unless maybe some new meta develops that makes more stages viable.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
how would you compare stadium to brinstar?
both stages transform randomly at random times
yes brinstar has the lava that changes edgeguarding but you can also use it to combo
i think they are kind of similar and should either both be allowed or both be banned
Yes Brinstar should be back. Thank you, someone who understands

SmokeOut

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2406-5837-9935
If PS was just the starting transformation it would be great. I really like PS2 in Project M. The only transformations that are jank are the rock and fire forms. As much as I hate when those 2 pop up and would prefer the stage never be played it just won't happen. Just have to ban it when you can.

Last edited:

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
Stadium is fine. Ar first glance, Kongo may seem better, but PS doesn't support game-breaking stalling as much. Neutral is great, Grass would be a neutral stage on its own, Water would likely be a counterpick, Fire is fine if you stay away from the tree (it's your own fault if Peach dsmashes you from the inside or Fox shine infinites you from the side of the tree. As for rock, avoid the pit, and, regardless of fairness, cliff battles are hype af.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
It does favor Fox. So if you are playing against a Fox and its your counterpick, you ban the stage. Now you don't have to go there. Simple as that, right? I understand where you are coming from, I totally do, but I still don't see how the stage would ever need to be banned. The transformations slow the game down and that's okay. They don't even really happen that often.
Now here's a problem. If you're not marth why shouldn't the fox take you to fd for a matchup that is just as if not more fox favored? And if you are marth why shouldn't fox go to dreamland instead?

For counterpicking the problem isn't that stadium gives fox a polarized matchup it's that for every character fox has at least 2 polarized stages (except falco and debatably marth)

I agree that a stage being good for a character isn't a reason to ban a stage (if so I'd be fighting to ban fd) but your solution is kinda full of holes.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I definitely think that Pokestad should be banned for competitive play. Its the longest horizontal stage and has an extremely low ceiling; if we got rid of kongo jungle because of camping, then this should aptly be banned aswell. Not to mention it has walls, that janky lip near the ledge on the rock stage, the whole cliff, and teching the windmill. Its just a stage that really favours one character disproportionately out of any other while still providing him with an extremely reasonable alternative (aka fox has a choice between PS or yoshis).

On that note though, people should stop talking about this as if it will make the game less fun; we spend most of our time playing friendlies anyway, so its not like we have to play by the tournament ruleset all of the time... Turn on banned stages and have fun. Friendlies are about exploring your character and movement options, and most importantly fun. Unless winning is your only source of fun, than you shouldnt have a problem with a more balanced stage set.

And on a further side-note, I think that with the progresses being made to 20XX and hacking melee in general, that we may see a larger variety of tourney-legal maps, and with their incorporation, a new paradigm in stage-selection, counterpicking, and mindgames :)

Last edited:
Nonhacked games are easier to run tournaments on than hacked games. A lot of setups run on Gamecubes. It's just too much easier. I don't think 20XX would ever get a strong implimentation

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
YOSHI'S STORY SHOULD BE BANNED BECAUSE OF RANDALL, PLS BAN YOSHI'S STORY
FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS SHOULD BE BANNED BECAUSE OF THE MOVING PLATFORMS, PLS BAN FOD

Bones0

Smash Legend
The benefits of having a stage with a unique 2-plat layout outweigh the detriments of a couple jank transformations (imo). Ideally, we'll get to a point where memory cards can allow disabled transformations on GameCubes at which point it can be tourney legal (alternatively, it could be done with an AR disc). Until then, just learn to camp better and it's not a big issue.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I don't understand where the Pokemon Stadium hate comes from. It's a great stage and probably the most exciting one to play on. Oh but it changes every now and then. And? The only variation that's a little annoying to play on is the one with the large cliff and it's still not terrible, you just need to play well.

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
How can anyone hate this stage? As a Marth player who occasionally plays Falco this is by far my favorite stage. I don't see any reason to get rid of it. With unique platforms in neutral and several interesting transformations it's the most exciting to watch and play on.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Doesn't LOL have randomness? It's 1 of the biggest competitive games out there. I think a little randomness can be tolerable
The only RNG in the game is crit chance which is something you build into for that chance.

Outside of that it really doesn't exist that much, and even then crit chance is a % you build into and can affect via item/runes.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
same for the cars in mute city. LEGALIZE MUTE CITY PLS.
As a fan of Mute City, I think any stage with hazards and a main platform that is small, soft, and ungrabbable should be illegal.

Poke floats is too balanced, fun and hype pls ban.
Poke Floats is fun, yes, but some of the moving floats are far from balanced, not to mention the Wobbuffet troll...

Yes Brinstar should be back. Thank you, someone who understands
The lava's existence isn't the problem, it's the rising of the lava that makes it an illegal stage because it limits space too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, what's 20XXTE? New hack pack?
A guy who goes by the tag Internet Explorer is making a 20XX Tournament Edition. The main points are that you can disable stage hazards for PS and Dreamland, has the ability to record/playback replays, and it can load on Gamecube memory cards. Also eight character tags are available. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzjYJD3i0Mc here's a link to the first dev update and you can see more progress in his later videos.

King Koala

Smash Rookie
A guy who goes by the tag Internet Explorer is making a 20XX Tournament Edition. The main points are that you can disable stage hazards for PS and Dreamland, has the ability to record/playback replays, and it can load on Gamecube memory cards. Also eight character tags are available. here's a link to the first dev update and you can see more progress in his later videos.
Thanks for the link, this looks amazing I've always wanted replays in melee

Top Bottom