• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer, Potential Wasted?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Well, besides having the potential of being his own character and using HMs and TMs, Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon have had some poor special move designs. Here is what I believe would have been more suitable moves for PT's Pokemon:

Charizard

^ Fly: Instead of working the way it does, Charizard would ascend vertically, then charge downwards diagonally.

> Fire Blast: Charizard releases a fire ball which grows the farther it travels

Neutral Dig: Charizard digs underground. You can move him around and release the button to have him re-immerge.

Final Smash Blast Burn: Charizard unleashes a fireball, which when makes contact, has similar effects to a smart bomb.

Ivysaur

^ Vine Whip: Fine as is

> Leech Seed: Drains the foe of life and gives it to Ivysaur

Neutral Solar Beam: Chargable beam that charges quicker on certain stages and at certain times (sun=quick charge)

Final Smash Frenzy Plant: Similar to Dr.Wrights attack. A large plant spawns in front of Ivysaur that lasts a long time and catches anyone in it's radius.

Squirtle (the most already creative of the bunch)

^ Waterfall: Very creative choice to begin with

Neutral Hydro Pump: Same as water gun, just under different name

> Special: Fine as is

Final Smash Hydro Canon: A controlable water beam that catches anyone strcuk by it. Long range, goo duration of time, medium damage.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but people would probably be pissed if Charizard didn't have a short range fire breath type move.

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
That would be neat. The only thing I don't like about it is Charizard's dig. That would be like ******** =\

Black/Light

Smash Master
The only thing I am not too happy about is Rock Smash but from what I hear it can be a pretty good atack. Fly. . . been there. Pit's B^ and IMO should stay that way (Maybe Im bias but Fly and S. Toss seem to be people's assumptions of what a PC Char should have based souly on the animes a** kicking Char. Never liked that idea).

But Im pretty much cool with it as is. Would like for Char's B^ to end in a glide and not the useless fall but w/e.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The only thing I am not too happy about is Rock Smash but from what I hear it can be a pretty good atack. Fly. . . been there. Pit's B^ and IMO should stay that way (Maybe Im bias but Fly and S. Toss seem to be people's assumptions of what a PC Char should have based souly on the animes a** kicking Char. Never liked that idea).

But Im pretty much cool with it as is. Would like for Char's B^ to end in a glide and not the useless fall but w/e.

What did you say?

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Pokémon trainers can't fight themselves. If they could, they wouldn't be training Pokémon.

Considering a lot of Smash's terrain, Dig wouldn't be very practical for Charizard.

I'm really fine with the moveset. Probably the most practical of all the possibilities. Personally the only thing I'd change about the PT is going for Bulbasaur and Wartortle, but that's just my taste.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Pokémon trainers can't fight themselves. If they could, they wouldn't be training Pokémon.

Considering a lot of Smash's terrain, Dig wouldn't be very practical for Charizard.

I'm really fine with the moveset. Probably the most practical of all the possibilities. Personally the only thing I'd change about the PT is going for Bulbasaur and Wartortle, but that's just my taste.
The dig factor would make just as much sense as peach pulling turnips and Olimar getting Pikmin from anywhere.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Oh yeah.
Maybe I'm just biased against its size...
The size is probably the biggest factor, you are correct. I just listed one of many possibilities, there are others besides dig. Wing Attack, Fire Spinc, Sword Dance e.c.t.

Black/Light

Smash Master
What did you say?
In a nut shell, I use to not like rock smash but Im ok with it now and Char's B^ sucks and shouldn't have been made to work like that if it's "fly". (should make him go into a glide atleast)

Seison

Smash Journeyman
I think It would have been cool if Charizard's ^B was a slower version of pikachu's. The first jump would be exactly what his current ^B is, and then if you so chose, at the peak of the first jump you could slam the control stick in another direction, and Charizard would dash quickly in that direction, with a firefox-like animation. It's almost like what Rhubarbo said for his ^B except you have the option to choose whether or not you want the downward(or w/e direction) motion.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Red is fine as he is.
Deal with it.
Um, some of us aren't "complaining" about red at all. I hope you took the time to read the whole page before making an ignorant comment like that.

Red IS fine how he is, and we HAVE "dealt with it", but are we not allowed to talk about different possibilities? I don't agree that his potential was wasted at all, so try to read more than the first post next time.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
I think PT is fine the way he is. The only thing I'd change is to have a different Final Smash for each Pokemon.

If anyone makes a Landmaster joke, I'll ****ing kill you. For real realz.

PanamaConMan

Smash Cadet
I personally don't think dig for charizard would make any sense at all(i know you listed other possibilities)
I just wish Charizards flamethrower attack was longer range and you could control the angle of it.

metahunter

Smash Apprentice
the pokemon trainers potental is actualy very high just nowon has figured out how to youse ihave the basic idea but have to get better before claiming that im a good PT user
but my ways potental is looking pretty high

PS: my way is switching depending on the situation not after you die or your oponet dies

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
The dig factor would make just as much sense as peach pulling turnips and Olimar getting Pikmin from anywhere.
I completely disagree. Pikmin and turnips being magically plucked from a flat surface is far more passable compared to a 8-10ft dragon digging a huge tunnel for itself on a thin platform (like Final Destination) who will then all of the sudden magically disappear. Ofcourse in a grand scale one can argue that everything in this game can be fantasized, but up to that extent? I would be horrified if the devs ever chose that as an attack; not very aesthetically pleasing. But anyway, I do think the PT is fine as it is, although Leech Seed isn't a bad idea, though I can't imagine it being made that effectively. Self-healing would be a big flaw for any currently existing SSBB character. Self-healers would normally have weak attacks to offset the healing power. Then again they can make it so it doesn't heal that much... but that would be a pretty useless power overall if that was the case. Hm..

Helios42

Smash Cadet

Well, I'm glad they chose Ivysaur. Ivysaur just doesn't get enough love, it's always the near-forgotten one. I like pt as is, maybe make water gun more usefull, but, other then that, I think it works increadably:bee:

I also really like the idea of all the pokemon attaking at once, it makes it look really cool. I liked the suggestions, and, it's definitly fun to talk about, but, I personallly really like how all the moves turned out, especially razor leaf, I was hoping for that from the begining.

S2

Smash Lord
PT is pretty much fine the way he is. The suggestions aren't bad, but not really any better than what's in the game.

If you've played Brawl, you'll know that PT is a ton of fun. One of the coolest newcommers by far.

So what if you'd never teach you Charizard rock smash. In Brawl, the move feels awesome every time you do it. That's what matters.

PT is a good character who is fun to play as. I think he was done pretty darn well.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Gotta remember though, Ivysaur and Squirtle doesn't frenzy plant or hydro cannon.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
The only thing currently that is annoying is Rock Smash. But I can work around that and find a way to use it. So, PT is great as is. NO NEED TO CHANGE.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I just wish Squirtle's Water Gun was a bit more useful, giving it a range attack it kind of needs. That's the only thing I wish for, everything else is pretty good already.

Charizard

^ Fly: Instead of working the way it does, Charizard would ascend vertically, then charge downwards diagonally.

> Fire Blast: Charizard releases a fire ball which grows the farther it travels

Neutral Dig: Charizard digs underground. You can move him around and release the button to have him re-immerge.

Final Smash Blast Burn: Charizard unleashes a fireball, which when makes contact, has similar effects to a smart bomb.

Ivysaur

^ Vine Whip: Fine as is

> Leech Seed: Drains the foe of life and gives it to Ivysaur

Neutral Solar Beam: Chargable beam that charges quicker on certain stages and at certain times (sun=quick charge)

Final Smash Frenzy Plant: Similar to Dr.Wrights attack. A large plant spawns in front of Ivysaur that lasts a long time and catches anyone in it's radius.

Squirtle (the most already creative of the bunch)

^ Waterfall: Very creative choice to begin with

Neutral Hydro Pump: Same as water gun, just under different name

> Special: Fine as is

Final Smash Hydro Canon: A controlable water beam that catches anyone strcuk by it. Long range, goo duration of time, medium damage.
Well thank god you didn't design the character. Dig for Charizard? No. Squirtle and Ivysaur can't even learn Frenzy Plant and Hydro Cannon, and the real Final Smash idea is much more creative than yours. And you seem to think it's a good idea to take away Squirtle's signature Water Gun attack (wtf) and Ivysaur's Razor Leaf. And Bullet Seed is one of its best attacks as well. All of your changes sound like what any random noob here at the boards would come up with before the moves were revealed. It's so bland.

Kirbykares

Smash Cadet
If all you complained about was one attack, and you agree with everything else, why does the title say Pokemon Trainer, Potential Wasted?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
rock smash doesn't fit with charizard's character, but it's such a badass move that it doesn't matter.

water gun, on the other hand, fits perfectly with squirtle's character, but it's such an *** bad move that it doesn't matter.

ivysaur is fine. ledge guarding is bull though.

water gun could have at least gotten better range or something. :S same with mario's fludd.

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
Well thank god you didn't design the character. Dig for Charizard? No. Squirtle and Ivysaur can't even learn Frenzy Plant and Hydro Cannon, and the real Final Smash idea is much more creative than yours. And you seem to think it's a good idea to take away Squirtle's signature Water Gun attack (wtf) and Ivysaur's Razor Leaf. And Bullet Seed is one of its best attacks as well. All of your changes sound like what any random noob here at the boards would come up with before the moves were revealed. It's so bland.
Give him a break, he was just stating his opinion. You didn't have to be that harsh.

Top Bottom