• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer Socratic Discussion Thread

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Speaking of Ganondorf, something interesting I learned today...

Ganon cannot hit a crouching Squirtle with ANY of his grounded attacks. Good way to force him into the air. XD
That's not entirely true... side-b, d-tilt, and I think dash attack can all connect. It does limit his options by a lot though. Dodging the wiz kick with a crouch is pretty funny
Squirtle can crouch under warlock punch XD
Good to know.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I have a little nugget of information for you as well. As far as I have seen this isn't documented anywhere.

You can Baton Pass any time PS1 is changing forms on any given form. It's due to the ground falling out for a moment after every transformation. (Which is what forces grab releases)

It's really hard to time, but I haven't actually tried to match it up with the 8 minute timer yet, so there might be a way to time it like the Klaptraps on Japes. But I guess change times might vary a bit since it actually has to load the pokemon. But if you can time it anytime within the pokemon's "entrance" animation you should be able to hit anyone hoping to get a free hit off.

Surprise Jabs, Bullet Seeds, & Flys anyone?

T-block

B2B TST
How did I not see this post? ^

That's pretty cool...I think we should compile a list of ALL places where Baton Passing is possible, including banned stages. I just found recently that the Arwings on Corneria have interesting Baton Pass properties... I tried it on one that was moving backwards, but it flew off the screen before I came out, and instead of dying the pokeball was floating in the air like with Pictochat.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
How do you guys deal with Pikachu's ftilt? It comes out so fast and outranges Squirtle's ftilt.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Hmm, maybe I'm just not spacing it right. Seemed that Pikachu's ftilt was outranging me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How do you guys deal with Pikachu's ftilt? It comes out so fast and outranges Squirtle's ftilt.
Uh...Shield it?

It's certainly punishable if you shield it.

Is it really a move that Pikachu players use often? It doesn't have a lot of range, as far as I know...D-Tilt seems much more annoying to me.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Uh...Shield it?

It's certainly punishable if you shield it.

Is it really a move that Pikachu players use often? It doesn't have a lot of range, as far as I know...D-Tilt seems much more annoying to me.
I'm not sure how often most Pikachu players use it. I played KPrime for the first time this weekend, and it was my first Pikachu practice. He used dtilt a bit, but ftilt was used a lot more. I tried shielding it, but I just wasn't able to get the timing down. If it's not that big a deal to other PTs, it must be because I just don't have the Pikachu timing down.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I played kprime last month as well, ftilt can be powersheilded then do a quick fair.
How'd you do against him, Magik? I beat him once, but he beat me pretty solidly most of the time.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983

This tether is amazing. Stop getting gimped. :ivysaur:

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
I think we should discuss what we can do with Squirtles Crouch. Like what moves/grabs we can avoid and then punish by crouching.

Similar to the crouch > rest with Jiggs in melee.

Maybe Crouch > Upsmash/Uptilt.

Discuss.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
crouch under jabs imo

you might be able to crouch under grabs too. i know wario during the landing lag of nair can avoid grabs like that.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Do we have any footstool banana locks? Seems like a good bit of characters are starting to discover this.

Kith

Smash Ace
What ever happened to the Ivysaur and Charizard tactical discussion threads o.O. Have we given up? :006::002:

T-block

B2B TST
This thread was pretty cool.

Has anyone tried playing so that you're never fatigued, no matter what? Like...less emphasis on what percents you're both at, etc., and just focus on getting a good cycle going throughout the match.

I'm not saying it's how we should play tournament matches, but I think it's pretty interesting when practising. It gets you looking at how you get switch opportunities, and the fact that you're switching so much means you get practice with all three.

Kith

Smash Ace
That's one thing I noticed (and was very impressed) about Reflex's PT. There are some points in a match where it is just illogical to approach (Usually on stages like Pokemon Stadiums or Pictochat, etc.) He uses those chances to switch out and rest up his pokemon/refresh his moves. There are times that he'll even cycle all the way back to his original pokemon.

Reflex, I was meaning to ask you. Is that the main reason you go to Pokemon Stadium so much?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's one thing I noticed (and was very impressed) about Reflex's PT. There are some points in a match where it is just illogical to approach (Usually on stages like Pokemon Stadiums or Pictochat, etc.) He uses those chances to switch out and rest up his pokemon/refresh his moves. There are times that he'll even cycle all the way back to his original pokemon.

Reflex, I was meaning to ask you. Is that the main reason you go to Pokemon Stadium so much?
It's certainly on the cards. As a PT player, you need every advantage you can get, and sometimes a few extra seconds of energy and refreshing stale moves is totally worth it.

I also like the fact that the stage gives you space to move, as well as having conveniently-placed platforms throughout (as well as a place to Zero Switch).

A question I haven't checked yet--You know how grabs auto-release at a certain point when the stage type changes? Would it cause a Zero Switch with good timing?

Probably not, but I figured it's worth a look.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
A question I haven't checked yet--You know how grabs auto-release at a certain point when the stage type changes? Would it cause a Zero Switch with good timing?
It does, but the timing's tricky. I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm pretty sure T-block tested it.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
It's certainly on the cards. As a PT player, you need every advantage you can get, and sometimes a few extra seconds of energy and refreshing stale moves is totally worth it.
Then why as a unfatigued squirtle do you hold down the a button after you make a kill? That's like the fastest way to get your squirtle fatigued.

That goes for all of you, I always see in all your videos you guys doing something like doing aerials with charizard and ivysuar, after you KO an opponent dont do anything that would make your pokemon more tired.
Been bothering me.

Kith

Smash Ace

I also like the fact that the stage gives you space to move, as well as having conveniently-placed platforms throughout (as well as a place to Zero Switch).

Probably not, but I figured it's worth a look.
I can't find the thread anymore (and I can't search for it >.<) but did you ever read Nick Riddle's post about jumping through the windmill's fans in Pokemon Stadium?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Then why as a unfatigued squirtle do you hold down the a button after you make a kill? That's like the fastest way to get your squirtle fatigued.
Because Squirtle looks like he's taunting the opponent and telling him to "Come on," like Fox's taunt.

I can't find the thread anymore (and I can't search for it >.<) but did you ever read Nick Riddle's post about jumping through the windmill's fans in Pokemon Stadium?
I did not, though I figured out that you can while screwing around on that level. I've been purposely doing it ever since, but I don't know of any practical applications for it.

Top Bottom