• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer: Too Hard to Get Used to in 1 minute?

Kuzodav

Smash Rookie
Most of you are aware of the Gamestop Tourney coming up.

I'm planning on using Pokemon Trainer, and those who I've told say I won;t stand a chance or that I'm 'ballsy' because Pokemon Trainer is a character that you need to 'get used to'.

I've seen the in-depth analysis on these pages.
I've seen the COMPREHENSIVE guide on YouTube.

I think people are going to underestimate Pokemon Trainer users. He seems like any other character, except with more options and more advantages.

I dunno, 1 minute might be pushing it, but I feel confident that I can get a handle on PT quickly enough.

People act like Pokemon Trainer's controls are seventeen buttons instead of two. I think this is a downfall of most opponents.

What are your thoughts?

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
I think you're overconfident.
Pokemon trainer is really strong, it's true, but if you plan to play him, you have a lot on your plate.
You have to :
1. Adapt to the physics of the game. Depending on how familiar you were with melee, this can be easier or harder. The more familiar you were with advanced melee play, the harder it might be to transition.
2. Pokemon trainer itself. His character, while strong, isn't as straightforward at all. They're strong, but their kill moves are kind of hard to land unless you're good at edgeguarding with squirtle, or can land a nice upair with ivysaur at ~110%
4. Ivysaur's recovery, while really long ranged and not that difficult to get used to, isn't something I'd want to grapple with in the one minute, single elim I have to play.
5. On top of that, you have to land a kill and survive in one minute. Squirtle and Ivysaur, the two better pokes at killing, aren't charizard, the best pokemon for surviving

If you really want to play Pokemon trainer, I'd play squirtle only. His recovery is about on par with Charizard's as far as vertical range goes anyway(horizontal Charizard has squirtle beat by a lot cause of gliding), but is fast and small to avoid many attacks. If you're familiar with melee's aggressive style, or even smash64's aggressive style, squirtle will probably come to you the easiest.

Ivysaur is who I would play if I had played the game before, because he has the easiest time getting kills in general, with the capacity to damage quickly and a reliable and fast uair for kills. However, his recovery is ONLY tether recovery, which I would really, really recommend against experimenting against when the tournament conditions are the way they are.

I don't really like power characters, so I wouldn't play Charizard. You might get run over by a fast character and plus his KO moves are kind of hard to land. You will probably survive the full minute though.

Un..
In summary, I would not do it unless you want to play PT like a single character, in which case I'd play squirtle. Of course, in one minute, one pokemon is all you'll have time for. It is a pretty ballsy move, to play PT imo.

DaHoodedGuy

Smash Rookie
if you watched and seen atleast most of the moves of 1 pokemon and undertand thier properties(spikes, combo potential, and finishing), then you should be just fine. Just watch out for ledgehogging when you are using ivysaur's upB

Nihil

Smash Rookie
I'll be playing with Charizard only, I need the kill in one minute and survive the rest.
There's no time to build up damage as squirtle, im taking em down in one swoop

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
i was also planning on using PT for the gamestop tourney
after reading the in-depth analysis and a massive amount of gameplay vids
just be aware of which characters u gotta counter,
like bowser's a heavy so squirtle would be good
for pikachu id probably use charizard to overpower it, etc.
im sure ull get it down in the first 10-15 seconds

what im thinking is first try to survive the minute to get a feel for the game
n then jus run it in the rematch

im personally using ivysaur as my starter, defensive n ranged moves
hopefully ill percent build enough to knock them away then switch to charizard for teh ROCKSMASH! :D
or u can start with charizard to try to gimp ur opponent with fair :p
but im not feeling squirtle starting because i dont think 1 minute is enough time for an annoyer
and plus hes the lightest >.>

Card

Smash Lord
I seriously don't want to burst everyones bubble, but if it's your first time playing Brawl and you are at the GameStop tournament, DON'T USE POKEMON TRAINER...

He's really not a "1 minute character". My first EVER match in Brawl was with P. Trainer (Squirtle) and I did HORRIBLY. If anything, pick P. Trainer any time after your first match. Your first match should be getting used to the whole new physics engine and speed of the game.

Just my personal humble opinion...

solidpit

Smash Cadet
IF you're going to use PT, use Ivysaur, spam Bullet Seed, then move in with an upsmash, or an uair.

epi_adict

Smash Rookie
I just got to play the game at best buy, they had a demo set up and I can say that pokemon trainer will take more than a minute if you are against a good player. I did beat a level 7 computer in a 3 stock on my first try, but I stuck to charizard who is easily the fastest to learn. Although I did learn something else... it will take even longer to relearn a melee character. I tried playing shiek and IC and did horrible comparably, so I would say that it is possible to use PT as long as you study the potential KO moves you should know what to do. Just hope you don't get paired against a player who imported. I however just got a call and "due to inclimate weather to protect mine and their safety" gamestop canceled to tournament and midnight launch... and just lost my sale to walmart who is in the same parking lot and "of course will be open and have the game."

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
like bowser's a heavy so squirtle would be good
for pikachu id probably use charizard to overpower it, etc.
...Pikachu ***** everything. This game isn't reality based at all. The little electric mouse is faster and gayer than Charizard. all it has to do is spam dsmash to win. seriously.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
PT definitely gets some gettin used too, that is if you want to use it to it's fullest potential, getting used to all three chars takes a good couple of days, at least for me anyways, knowing what to use when, and what ranges each move has, but if you want, then go ahead

Top Bottom