• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Best doubles partner for Luigi

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Whenever I watch team tourneys, I always watch for moments when the fighters chain moves together into an effective offense. But when watching some other tourneys, certain teams will look more or less cohesive. That got me wondering. Who is the best partner for each character? Well, since I’m a casual Brawler, and I don’t have the expertise to judge, so why not ask the experts? I originally tried this on GameFAQs, but the users in general were immature, or not qualified to give the information. Then I remembered the specific boards on Smashboards, so I brought the poll here. So who do you think the best partner is for Luigi?

Rules:

- The poll will last for a week. If it becomes popular, it may last longer.
- You may only vote for one character.
- Assume friendly fire is on.
- Assume there are no items.
- After posting your answer, give a detailed reason why you choose that character. If you don’t give viable information, your vote will not be added.
- You may ask to change your vote if you have a viable reason.
- Discussion on your choices is allowed. NO FLAMES!!!
- If you vote Pokemon Trainer, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you vote on the Pokemon Trainer poll, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you want to use videos to explain your reasoning, feel free to post them, but remember. I play this game casually, so you have to explain what parts of the video are important and why they are important.
- You may vote on multiple polls.
- If issues occur, I may add or remove rules, so be sure to review the list.

Bowser – 0
Captain Falcon – 0
Diddy Kong – 0
Donkey Kong – 0
Falco – 2
Fox – 0
Game & Watch – 1
Ganondorf – 0
Ice Climbers – 0
Ike – 0
Jigglypuff – 1
King Dedede – 1
Kirby – 0
Link – 0
Lucario – 0
Lucas – 1
Luigi – 0
Mario – 1
Marth – 0
Meta Knight – 0
Ness – 0
Olimar – 0
Peach – 0
Pikachu – 1
Pit – 0
Pokemon Trainer – 0
R.O.B. – 0
Samus – 0
Sheik – 0
Snake – 0
Sonic – 0
Toon Link – 0
Wario – 0
Wolf – 0
Yoshi – 0
Zelda – 1
Zero Suit Samus – 0

Replies: 13

If your vote isn’t tallied, you may have done one of the following:

- You voted for multiple people or didn’t make your answer clear
- You voted for multiple characters
- You didn’t give a good reason.

kamikazeman1

Smash Rookie
Seems like fun.
My choice would have to go with Falco for the following reasons:

If you are smart, you know that Falco (your partner) will laser spam and camp the stage. Assuming he short hop double lasers, you can crawl to you opponents and immediately go into AAA combo or utilts into various air combos

Also falcos ground camping (illusion to be exact) can be very useful as an interrupt / launcher at higher %. While falco owns the ground, luigi will be free to nair/bair/u-air.

Lastly, though im not sure, i think falco can laserlock a footstooled opponent or luigi can fireball lock in the same situation

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Also falcos ground camping (illusion to be exact) can be very useful as an interrupt / launcher at higher %. While falco owns the ground, luigi will be free to nair/bair/u-air.
I thought he preferred the air. XD

Seriously, though. I'd have to go with Falco as well, 'cause Falco can use lasers to keep opponents away and rack up damage, whist Luigi goes in with Aerials and goes in for the KO afterwards.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'd have to say maybe GaW. You can throw some fireballs for GaW's bucket so he can wipe it out and bust ***. Both have amazing recovery so that's not worried. If one is needed to recover, GaW can use his upair to help give some vertical height for Luigi. Both are excellent aerial game users. GaW's dtilt helps alot on his ground game and probably saves Luigi. And the most common thing you'll see in luigi doubles is your teammate grabbing the oppenent, and giving you a oppunity to do a shoryuken =D

I'll post more later g2g.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Choose someone that covers Luigi's weaknesses...G+W, Falco and Lucas have great ground games, and Luigi can heal Lucas/bucket up G+W so there's a plus for both of you. Mind you, it recovers quite a lot and when 3 of Luigi's Fireballs are bucketed it's a very strong attack... So I'm gonna go against the flow and say Lucas :p

My Partner in Smash uses Mario and with his cape comes really odd mindgames. It doesn't hurt to put some faith in the Mario Bros...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah I am going to have to go with Mario, Nintendo did it right when they made the Super Mario Bros a great pair on their own.

-Mario has fireballs that can be used for spacing where Luigi can use his on the ground.

-Mario has a considereably decent recovery with his cape not to mention a reflector.

-Mario has F.L.U.D.D., could be used to gimp recoveries where you would be risking getting yourself hit trying to do it in range.

-Mario can use his up-b if he finds himself trapped in a combo, or if by accident Luigi hits Mario with a dash attack it would cost Luigi in the process but you could rack up more damage with Mario's up-b.

I play an okay mario, just thought I would post what I think.

He also has a good airgame.

kamikazeman1

Smash Rookie
hmm i never thought that team attack would be used as an advantage as far as healing/bucket i might have to reconsider but in all seriousness i think laserlock into shoryukens might have some potential

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
hmm i never thought that team attack would be used as an advantage as far as healing/bucket i might have to reconsider but in all seriousness i think laserlock into shoryukens might have some potential
The trouble with that is they either have to trip on their own and you have to be positioned correctly when that happens or you have to footstoll them to the ground which can only be done at a low level if you try to pratfall them ont the platform without them comnig back up from it, not to mention you and your opponent have to jump moreorless at the same time.

kamikazeman1

Smash Rookie
yeah i can see the problem with laserlock, and the only way i can see forced trips is either dtilt with luigi or falcos shine but hey, it could happen :laugh:

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I wanna say Zelda would be a great ally. Luigi can Nair through din's fire, which leads to easy camping by Zelda with Luigi taking care of them in the air. Zelda can easily defend herself on the ground as well...

TheZeroFaReal

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu. Here in Vegas, a pikachu and I land a bunch of pikachu down smash to fairs and dairs when they pop up. Also, our signature kill is...

Pikachu Grab -> Luigi Up B's -> Pikachu Down B's

The most successful kill in teams ever =P.

Pikachu is not only quick, but a character that racks up tons of damage and can kill. You just need to see which mixes and matches work.

Razz113

Smash Cadet
Lets see If you go Mario you might be able to use the water with Luigi's traction to do some nice tricks, on the other hand you could go with a yoshi who can trap people in the eggs for a really easy ko at like 50-80% (i.e. Fsmash and UpB). Also another route might be going with The ever so loved and lowest KO for luigi Jigglypuff, I know sounds crazy right well hear me out first Sing, Rest in the air that can still KO, the recovery) the Roll she has doesnt hurt wigi much either if you can time it and jump when she rolls at you knocks an opponent in the air and wigi takes full advantage of it.

My vote is for the ever unpopular JIGGLYPUFF.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Pikachu. Here in Vegas, a pikachu and I land a bunch of pikachu down smash to fairs and dairs when they pop up. Also, our signature kill is...

Pikachu Grab -> Luigi Up B's -> Pikachu Down B's

The most successful kill in teams ever =P.

Pikachu is not only quick, but a character that racks up tons of damage and can kill. You just need to see which mixes and matches work.
YOU, need to help me sir, do you know of any smash tournaments here in vegas, I have been trying to find one but no success, and nobody over SWF is helping...

LongCat90001

Smash Cadet
I vote for 2 Luigi's because:
Luigi is great for both racking up damage and KO
Fireball could get really annoying/useful if they doing SHfireball
Let's say a Luigi misses with his fire punch 50% of the time, 2 Luigi's means more hit fire punches. Also Luigi only needs a split second to be able to land a fire punch and a fireball from one Luigi would guarantee that.

**Luigi is PWG**

Top Bottom