• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - Most important matchup to learn

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hello -Insert Character Board Here-,

I'm conducting a character-wide poll about each character's most important matchup. This is simply out of curiosity of the current metagame and every person's stance on their character.

Each person get's 1 vote, regardless of character board, your first vote will be the only one counted. So please only vote for your main character. Make's my life easier if I'm not having to triple-check everyone.

Please keep in mind this isn't your most difficult matchup. I want to hear your most important matchup. There is a slight, but significant difference in this. If your worst matchup is Jigglypuff - do you consider Jigglypuff an important matchup to actually learn? Doubtful. So please vote for the most IMPORTANT matchup.

Of course, your most important matchup may be your hardest one. But just keep the above in mind.

You can vote now if you wish, and if you cannot find this topic in your main's board. Please wait as I must wait 30 seconds between each thread to post a topic. I am going in alphabetical order and I will reach your main eventually.

Thank you.

SuSa.

EDIT:

King Funk - Marth
Ramses - Marth
Blacknight99923 - Marth
Micklem - Marth
Clowsui - Meta Knight || N/A Marth Boards vote instead
FGCU Viper - Meta Knight
-DR3W- - Meta Knight || Changed vote on Page 2
Slain Avenger - Kirby || May have voted in another board.
hippiedude92 - Meta Knight || May have voted in another board.
swordsaint - Meta Knight
M@V! - Meta Knight
Kasper! - Meta Knight
Yikarur - Snake
King Funk - Marth
BluB - Meta Knight
SlashTalon - Ganon
Gamegenie222 - Pikachu

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
uggh....
probably marth......
the second would be metaknight because I want to eventually go falco against metaknight
I'm really iffy
because I can go other characters against metaknight I don't want to ditto, or go metaknight against marth

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
I would also say marth
I didn't expect so many people to agree with me tbh

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
i imagine there will be a wave of mk votes before long lol

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Well Larry we don't all play MikeHaze regularly.

Marth, I guess.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I think everyone is silly for saying Marth.

I think due to fact MK dominates all levels of the metagame he's the most important MU to learn. No matter where you are there is always going to be Metaknights, and even if you're a character with a 5:5 or 55:45 with MK, if you don't know the MU, you're not going to win against many Metaknights even if overall you're a better player than them.

I am curious as to why so many said Marth though. He's a popular character for sure, but not nearly as dominant in the game as MK. The Marth MU is also a lot easier to play than the MK MU. There's such a small chance that one slip up can result in a death on Marth (unless you're at 0%) but on MK a small slip up can be punished by his good combo and string game which will lead in to his unmatched gimping game. Which if you don't know how to handle, will be the biggest problem you've ever faced.

And a FTR Susa, I think only allowing people to vote once is a poor decision which could affect some characters votes. Especially for people that have a legitimately high level of knowledge for multiple characters. You could be hurting the potential for more accurate results by telling someone like (as an example) Atomsk that he can't give his opinion on Ice Climbers and Dedede, or Hylian and....everyone.

M@v

Subarashii!
Metaknight, simply for the fact that he is the most common tournament character, and 95% of the time you will have to beat a metaknight in tourney if you want to make it far into the bracket.

Yikarur

Smash Master
this is region depended, in Europe overall it's definitly Marth, in germany it's Snake.
I say Snake.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I said Marth because of living in Europe. There are more good Marths than MK's and I still believe Falco loses that matchup 45-55.

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
this is region depended, in Europe overall it's definitly Marth, in germany it's Snake.
I say Snake.
Yeah Yika...
If there were more Marth in Germany then just 2 or 3, I would say Marth is the most important matchup. But there are way more Snakees, so I will stick with Yika.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I said Marth because of living in Europe. There are more good Marths than MK's and I still believe Falco loses that matchup 45-55.
What do you mean 'still believe'. It's been that way for a long time now and I highly doubt anyone disagrees.

EUROPE: If Europe had more MK's would you agree that MK would be the most important MU to learn? If so, I think that's the answer you should go with. I don't think Susa was really asking about what's your regions most dangerous characters. Otherwise nearly every player that comes from Europe is going to say Marth, regardless of what character they play. He was asking what matchup is most important to learn for your character, not for your region.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Well it's kind of obvious that everyone uses Meta Knight.

But if we're gonna be that stupid, fine, Meta Knight.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
If a character knows the Falco matchup and you don't know that character's matchup, chances are you are going to have a tough time.

Asking people to be nonsubjective in a "most important" thread is ridiculous

Personally I think avoiding grabs against Pika and ICs are just as important as knowing how to space Marth/MK

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
EUROPE: If Europe had more MK's would you agree that MK would be the most important MU to learn? If so, I think that's the answer you should go with. I don't think Susa was really asking about what's your regions most dangerous characters. Otherwise nearly every player that comes from Europe is going to say Marth, regardless of what character they play. He was asking what matchup is most important to learn for your character, not for your region.
If your region had loads of marth mains then would marth be your answer? Of course. It'd be the MOST USEFUL matchup to learn... I believe that was what the question was. That doesn't make it non-chararcter-dependent: if everyone in your region mained ganon, that would (I'm guessing) not be your answer, since you should be able to beat ganon without MU experience.

The main reason people say MK is because of how many people use him, so you can't really use the argument that lots of marth mains in europe =\= marth being the most important MU to learn here.

Anyway, it's not just about abundance of players with specific mains; I think the marth votes stem from the fact that he's a matchup that you must have experience with, otherwise his spacing and combos will wreck you.
Don't get me wrong, mk is obviously going to be a very useful MU for any character, but falco's old tricks kinda work. If you play like you would anyone else (or a bit more cautiously) it shouldn't be too much of a disaster. It'll probably be harder than other characters (obviously) and if you don't know the MU well enough you will probably lose. Imo if you don't know the marth MU you will definately lose. (Just an opinion; don't get mad if you disagree).

[ Edit: someone just voted ganon; that destroys my previous argument :( ]

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I say Pikachu is our most important matchup to learn cause them yellow rats **** on our Space *****

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
What do you mean 'still believe'. It's been that way for a long time now and I highly doubt anyone disagrees.

If this does not take into account character importance in relation to regions or even character specific matchups, then those threads are absolutely ******** and senseless. It's like making polls all over the boards on SWF and asking everyone "Who is the best character in the game?".

No offense, SuSa.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I
And a FTR Susa, I think only allowing people to vote once is a poor decision which could affect some characters votes. Especially for people that have a legitimately high level of knowledge for multiple characters. You could be hurting the potential for more accurate results by telling someone like (as an example) Atomsk that he can't give his opinion on Ice Climbers and Dedede, or Hylian and....everyone.

Yea, that way a group of 4-5 people could go to every single board and vote "Hurr Durr GANON!!!"

It's to keep trolls and people trying to altar results by voting multiple times at bay. I could allow two votes per person, but then I'm more prone to human error and mistallying votes.

Keep in mind I'm doing this 100% by hand. Including running 37 threads, answering questions, and updating the OP's on a near-hourly basis.

If you'd like to redo this and allow multiple votes, by all means, go ahead.

@person above me
Read this post

swordsaint

Smash Master

Yea, that way a group of 4-5 people could go to every single board and vote "Hurr Durr GANON!!!"

It's to keep trolls and people trying to altar results by voting multiple times at bay. I could allow two votes per person, but then I'm more prone to human error and mistallying votes.

Keep in mind I'm doing this 100% by hand. Including running 37 threads, answering questions, and updating the OP's on a near-hourly basis.

If you'd like to redo this and allow multiple votes, by all means, go ahead.

@person above me
Read this post
Well, if you used your own common sense, it'd be easy to tell who's trolling, and who's not.

Micklem

Smash Apprentice
To be fair
Susa got a lot of work to do for this already
No point making it harder just so that people can vote twice

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I don't understand. Since so many more people use/counterpick Meta Knight than any other character...statistically why would any other be as important? I thought it was already perfectly clear that the higher you go on the tier list the more important the match-up.

This might as well be a "what is your worst match-up" thread. . .

I say Pikachu is our most important matchup to learn cause them yellow rats sh*t on our Space *****.
. . .

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
What exactly is the goal of this?

To find out the most "important matchup"? Important how?

You said this is based on a Characters most important matchups not personal worst, isnt every matchup equally as important? Considering losing to ganon is still losing, just the same as losing to MK and Marth.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
What exactly is the goal of this?

To find out the most "important matchup"? Important how?
" important |imˈpôrtnt|
adjective
of great significance or value; likely to have a profound effect on success, survival, or well-being "

Most important in the tournament scene is Meta Knight, for all characters, because he is the most recurring and overused character this game has ever seen. Not to forget that he's the ****ing best and will absolutely obliterate you if you don't know the match-up.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Right. To what significance does adding more topics about "MK and Marth need to be talked about!" help with that?
Putting anything but MK makes it personal, so I'm not sure.

BTW about your edit: No, not all match-ups are equally important in the end. The primary one that stands above all others is Meta Knight.

Ares

Smash Journeyman
ICs should be every character's most important MU, because there are much harsher penalties for errors. If you get grabbed it's done.

Top Bottom