• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - Most important matchup to learn

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hello -Insert Character Board Here-,

I'm conducting a character-wide poll about each character's most important matchup. This is simply out of curiosity of the current metagame and every person's stance on their character.

Each person get's 1 vote, regardless of character board, your first vote will be the only one counted. So please only vote for your main character. Make's my life easier if I'm not having to triple-check everyone.

Please keep in mind this isn't your most difficult matchup. I want to hear your most important matchup. There is a slight, but significant difference in this. If your worst matchup is Jigglypuff - do you consider Jigglypuff an important matchup to actually learn? Doubtful. So please vote for the most IMPORTANT matchup.

Of course, your most important matchup may be your hardest one. But just keep the above in mind.

You can vote now if you wish, and if you cannot find this topic in your main's board. Please wait as I must wait 30 seconds between each thread to post a topic. I am going in alphabetical order and I will reach your main eventually.

Thank you.

SuSa.

KayLo! - Meta Knight
Tagxy - Diddy Kong
Captain L - Diddy Kong
~automatic - Meta Knight
King~ - Diddy
Roller - Ice Climbers
gallax - Meta Knight
Zodiark - Meta Knight
Leaf. - Meta Knight

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Hmm not sure if I remember all the characters.

Im going to say Diddy Kong. It actually takes more then just playing the matchup, lol. I might change this later.

Edit: please remove vote or change to Fox.

SuSa

It's to make counting votes x10 easier and because I only wanted each person to have 1 vote as to not be able to go to every board and say "MK hur durrrrr" or something stupid like that.

Letting people vote in each board would be a DISASTER. Because I don't know how well they know that character, etc.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Pretty much understood why.

If you plan to check how many times people vote, can't you keep a higher tally of how many since you are technically keeping a tally of 1 on everyone. Though by higher i mean 2 cause a significant amount of people have 2ndaries..

but probably too late to change it now without too much unessessary work of telling everyone.

SuSa

No, because that now requires more effort. I have a good memory of names and information so currently I know most people who have tried to vote in 2 boards.

Increasing this to 2 would mean I'm more liable of making a mistake and letting people end up slipping through, etc.

Because once I tally each boards - I'm tallying the boards as a whole. So... need it as simple as possible. I'm doing this all by hand and don't want to spend forever tallying stuff, while still keeping things relatively accurate.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Meta Knight is the most dominant character in this game and has a comfortable advantage over Pika.

King~

Smash Champion
diddy- knowing this character really makes a diffrence in how well you do vs him

inb4herpderpitsthesamewitheverycharacter

i really wanted to say falco though, cause losing to them iggas is annoying. and sometimes you just dont be in the mood to hear it.

Roller

Smash Legend
Alright, well. If you are asking the most important mu for us to learn taking into account our area's metagame, I would say ICs. Because MI has an absurd number of them.

But for pikas in general, assuming I didn't live here... I'd agree with the consensus and say Diddy.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Alright, well. If you are asking the most important mu for us to learn taking into account our area's metagame, I would say ICs. Because MI has an absurd number of them.
I definitely had some regional bias in my answer, although I'd probably stay with MK even if I was thinking about the metagame overall.

Honestly, how often is a Diddy gonna get in your way? Not that often. MK is the most used, most dominant character in the game by far, and knowing the MU well is much more useful than knowing the Diddy matchup (which you will run into a lot less in most regions) imo.

I mean, you could say the same thing for Olimar or ICs or Peach or others that you guys are saying for Diddy: they're all MUs that don't play anything like others, and they're all arguably as hard as Diddy. But MK is the character you're most likely to meet in tourney, and you need to know the matchup well against a good, non-generic MK.

Also, everybody has a pocket MK -- at least over here. EVERYBODY. He's the ultimate CP character that does well on many many CP stages. Diddy? Not so much.

Roller

Smash Legend
I definitely had some regional bias in my answer, although I'd probably stay with MK even if I was thinking about the metagame overall.

Honestly, how often is a Diddy gonna get in your way? Not that often. MK is the most used, most dominant character in the game by far, and knowing the MU well is much more useful than knowing the Diddy matchup (which you will run into a lot less in most regions) imo.

I mean, you could say the same thing for Olimar or ICs or Peach or others that you guys are saying for Diddy: they're all MUs that don't play anything like others, and they're all arguably as hard as Diddy. But MK is the character you're most likely to meet in tourney, and you need to know the matchup well against a good, non-generic MK.

Also, everybody has a pocket MK -- at least over here. EVERYBODY. He's the ultimate CP character that does well on many many CP stages. Diddy? Not so much.
We honestly have just as many Diddy's around here as MKs and more ICs, pikas, and snakes. There are only like 3 MKs in MI.
And yeah, some people have pocket ones (but not nearly everyone here), but I am not afraid of a pocket mk.

But yeah, MI and the midwest in general has a messed up metagame.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Gotta say MK.
Even though a top diddy is right in my neighborhood, when it comes down to it, the world will turn to the mask for assistance.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
rofl, nice we've turned a simple poll into a debate. So much for accuracy. Id appreciate if my vote were removed, if not change my answer to Fox.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Uhh, what does a debate have to do with accuracy? It's a forum. Discussion is gonna happen.

Nobody's forcing anybody to switch their vote.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Yeah, it was silly to not expect it. I shouldve thought about it before I voted.

Fera

Smash Rookie
Brazil is such a different place...
Well, from our top 10 national players, we have 2 MK's, so MK is still an important match, but our top 10 is so diversified (Snake, Peach, Wolf, ZSS, Diddy, Wario, Marth, Olimar) and as a Pika player I have to say Marth.

It's a tough match for the yellow hamster and above all we have a lot of them. Last champ we had 4 good marths out of about 30 players, and no MK main.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
for every reason that kaylo mentioned in her usually way over detailed but perfectly accurate post, mk. most dominant char in the metagame, and has good matchup against us (not worst matchup, but not tooooooo terribly far away from it). without learning the mk matchup you are leaving yourself soooo open vs pocket mks and the like.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Diddy or Marth, Pikachu has a longer trip animation leaving him to be punished. Marth because, well... hes marth

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Diddy or Marth, Pikachu has a longer trip animation leaving him to be punished. Marth because, well... hes marth
The poll isn't about which MU is the hardest.

Also, see: what I said in the other poll thread.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
The poll isn't about which MU is the hardest.

Aahh, I thought this meant for Pikachu, what should we learn the most, and since Diddy and Marth give ME personal issues...

Ok, then yeah, Metaknight since thats about 1/4 of the smash community

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Metaknight because of the sheer # of them. Every character board should have MK since you will PROBABLY be playing more MKs than any other single character

But...if you are doing it my "Learn this or get ****ed up" it should be snake. If you don't know the MU you will get WRECKED, but after you learn it it is in our favor for sure.

Edit: People should AIM me when they can so I can get their minds off of Marth being difficult....it really isn't.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Me thinks SuSa is just using these polls as a way to show mk is over centralizing the metagame as an argument to ban him.
Ya think? XD Oh well, happy to help the cause even though I'm not really pro-ban.

Although tbh, the fact that almost everyone says MK isn't even close to a reason to ban him imo. If that's part of SuSa's plan.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Falco. im srs. In my region we have a lot of falcos, and i feel like a good amount of pikas have been getting knocked out by falcos lately, myself included. so many ppl look at the mu and think omg cg pika *****, but its not as easy as getting a grab and u win. esam may say it is free, but the results of good pika players aside from him lately says different, goes to show its not an 80-20, theres much more to knowing this mu than just knowing the cg. its a very slow and patient match on both sides, and it is important to know this mu so as to not just try to bank on the grab.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
It's definitely at least 70:30. What other pika falco match has gone on before Prime vs DEHF? If anything that shows how bad the MU is because DEHF has WAY more skill and yet Prime could've (and should've) beat him at least in one match.

Of course you can't focus solely on the grab, but to be an even half-decent Pikachu you need to know your basics and what to do without the grab.

Roller

Smash Legend
My pika was beating Tyrant's Falco at smashfests this past week. And his is probably the most legit one I've played. I'd say the mu is 65-35 though. If you do what ESAM said in I think it was the platform canceling thread or something, and just crouch on the edge/ledgegrab if he does the jump to laser, you force him to approach, and you SHOULD be able to get the grab there in most scenarios. If you get the stock lead, this matchup becomes wildly in our favor. But if they manage to kill you first it is possible you could be in a bit of trouble.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Not really. So you take 70% and then kill him. Guess what? That's one grab...

I was playing DEHF in a friendly, I died first. I proceeded to 2 stock him, so I had to take all 3 of his stocks without losing a single one. It is a really bad MU when you are both the same skill.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Didn't he beat you in some of those friendlies, though? I mean, they were just friendlies, but since you brought it up.......... I heard y'all went pretty even. Just hearsay of course.

Anyways. Whatever the MU ratio is, I do think a lot of people focus on the CG too much and end up losing because they try too hard for the grab. For people having trouble with Falco, I suggest learning the MU without the CG so that if you can't get the grab, you're not completely ***ed out.

Top Bottom