• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - Most important matchup to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hello -Insert Character Board Here-,

I'm conducting a character-wide poll about each character's most important matchup. This is simply out of curiosity of the current metagame and every person's stance on their character.

Each person get's 1 vote, regardless of character board, your first vote will be the only one counted. So please only vote for your main character. Make's my life easier if I'm not having to triple-check everyone.

Please keep in mind this isn't your most difficult matchup. I want to hear your most important matchup. There is a slight, but significant difference in this. If your worst matchup is Jigglypuff - do you consider Jigglypuff an important matchup to actually learn? Doubtful. So please vote for the most IMPORTANT matchup.

Of course, your most important matchup may be your hardest one. But just keep the above in mind.

You can vote now if you wish, and if you cannot find this topic in your main's board. Please wait as I must wait 30 seconds between each thread to post a topic. I am going in alphabetical order and I will reach your main eventually.

Thank you.

SuSa.

EDIT:

Delta-cod - Meta Knight
Sinister Slush - Game and Watch
Poltergust - Marth
bigman40 - Marth
burntsocks - Meta Knight
Z'zgashi - Diddy Kong

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
After 7 months of playing competitive i'll list Some characters (Not all) that I've played in tournaments and out of these i'll choose the one I know nothing about but had a hard time winning/losing against willist in the fight.

Meta Knight - Faced only decent ones, no pro MK's yet in tourney sets.
Snake - Morningstar Big boss Pyledriver and Mike2 the only snakes so far. I can handle this MU though
Diddy Kong - No pros yet, beat them all.
Wario - Pyle's Wario I beat, Loko's I could've beaten but suicided in tourney set.
Marth - Played only Nike's Marth but never beaten.
Olimar - Played Tofer and denti, beat Tofer's lost to Denti's.
Pikachu - Only Pikachu i've played is K Prime, lost all matchs against him.
G&W - No pros yet, but they're kinda difficult to win against.
ZSS - Only played Paw, won against him barely.
Toon Link - Played Santi only, lost once to him, Beat him at Laurels Ragequit
R.O.B. - heytallman only I believe, Beat him.
Pit - Wingless, random pit, -Krystedez-, Beat two lost to Krys
Peach - Only played Castro, He beat me once in tourney set, I beat him at Laurels Ragequit
Luigi - Only Big Lou, lost badly against him
Sonic - Espy and Turbo, Beat Turbo lost to Espy
Samus - Only played Xyro, Almost won but sadly lost.

For a MU Yoshi probably needs to learn and also a bit difficult... My vote goes towards Game And Watch

:320:

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Most important?

Hm... tough call. It needs to be a bad match-up, but also a common one. I'll say Marth. Lucario may be Yoshi's worst match-up, but Marth falls right below him and is far more common.

:069:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Thank you for not saying Metaknight Polter.

<3
Susa

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Just needed a vote man. =P But thank you.

I know a vote was needed, but I usually put too much thought in some posts.
But mentioning people I lost too/won against makes me remember the match a bit and how it turned out that way from either side.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Wait, just out of curosity, can I ask why Marth/Lucario is so bad to you guys?

(I'm not saying I don't think it is; I actually have no clue at all...lol)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Most important?

Hm... tough call. It needs to be a bad match-up, but also a common one. I'll say Marth. Lucario may be Yoshi's worst match-up, but Marth falls right below him and is far more common.

Marth and Lucario are common?

Thank you for not saying Metaknight Polter.

<3
Susa
*Lives in Tri-state*

Wait, just out of curosity, can I ask why Marth/Lucario is so bad to you guys?

(I'm not saying I don't think it is; I actually have no clue at all...lol)
Marth can zone us pretty hard, and it's IMPOSSIBLE to kill Lucario, since his Dair stuffs most of our kill moves.

D

Deleted member

Meta knight obviously.
Snake is easy, diddy is alright if u gay him, Falco is easy, marth is medium, G&W is pretty hard, lucario is really hard but i dont think its that important idk.

Imo we would beat marth if dancing blade didnt **** us so bad. Even still its not that bad idk why people whine about it
Lucario i can beat if my mindset is good, but i have to be like at the top of my game or even lucarios worse than me beat me :/ Its rough

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I think I'm strange in the way that I don't have problems with mk other that my states 2nd best player who mains him, but I still take him to at least the last stock so I consider that pretty good. I also haven't had many problems with our other so called hard mu's, namely marth and lucario, but the mu's I consider hard (the spacies; fox, falco, wolf; and tink) aren't very popular. Now even though the mu isn't that difficult for us, the character I'd say is most important for yoshi to learn is Diddy Kong. He's a fairly popular character and pretty much every area has at least one. The reason I choose him is because a lot of the experience from fighting other characters doesn't carry over to him, because when you do face him, you're no longer playing brawl; you're playing banana brawl. A lot of times, diddy only wins because people don't know how to deal with this new form of gameplay. If you take the time to learn it, yoshi has TONS of options against diddy due to this new gameplay factor, but most don't actually know how to implement or abuse them.

So I vote diddy kong.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I would have to say any matchup that deals with electrical stun damage would be first priority.
It can reallly be the most fatal of things for a Yoshi.
What does that have to do with anything?

Besides, the characters that do have good electric attacks (ZSS, Pikachu, and Olimar) don't give Yoshi much trouble at all. In fact, I believe they are all even (well, maybe not Pikachu).

D

Deleted member

You did not just say that. :troll:

$3mm at the next tourney we see each other at?
MM for as much as you want.
I am very confident that only snakes of notably higher skill level will beat me

Airborne

Smash Lord
I would also probably say Marth. Knowing how to fight him requires us to be able to place eggs exactly where they need to be, have our spacing on point (weaving in and out of sh*t, NEVER landing next to this female without our DJ), knowing when to reset, knowing how to punish landings correctly and accordingly, etc. I could also say this for Olimar, but Marth gives us a harder time overall, when fighting Olimar is all about punishing landings and not getting punished upon landing.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
But... we slightly win against Lucas. Besides, there aren't enough of them for them to be of top priority.

And Falco... are you talking about his down-B? It's not that big of a deal (except for the fact that we can't ECE). Besides, Marth is harder and shows up about as often as Falco.

In any case, I don't understand why you're focusing on the electrical properties of certain moves. They're the same as any other move...

Veel

Smash Apprentice
Meta Knight is, on average, the character you will be fighting the most.
Marth is probably the hardest match up of a commonly played character Yoshi has.
Lucario is not that bad in my opinion.
Game&Watch is a horribly underplayed character from what I've seen.

Any character could be it if you are going on a per person basis if you consider local scenes. In larger tournaments you could argue because MK is the most prominent character in the metagame, he is everyone's most important match up. But if you were getting at that point you would not have to bother to poll people.

So I'll cast my vote for Marth.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Sockz, if you do not run this trash into the ground

you will lose any and all respect points you've built up with me

since the very early days when we had to teach you how to roll

in Melee

THAT WAS A VERY LONG TIME AGO SIR

DO NOT DISAPPOINT ME

D

Deleted member

This trash as in Susa's snake? Or this trash as in this thread?

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
LOL @ this thread.

LOL @ GnW being hard. He's really not.

IMO, the most important MU to learn is Marth. He's prolly the MU where we have to play our smartest.

I know I don't play Yoshi anymore, but my input is still good imo

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
LOL @ this thread.

IMO, the most important MU to learn is Marth. He's prolly the MU where we have to play our smartest.

I know I don't play Yoshi anymore, but my input is still good imo
I feel like drilling the Marth MU with a competent opponent can actually really improve yourself as a player, since you need to have your spacing and reads on point at all times to do well at it.

Lol @ GnW issues.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I feel like drilling the Marth MU with a competent opponent can actually really improve yourself as a player, since you need to have your spacing and reads on point at all times to do well at it.
This.

Playing NEO in friendlies at MLG Orlando and Kadaj a couple of months after have definitely helped improve as a player.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Lol @ GnW issues.
As Susa said, it's not hardest MU, and I don't think it's hard. It's the one where it's the most Important MU.
I didn't think it was Diddy King, Falco, Toon Link, or the usual characters. I just thought maybe GnW Marth or Wolf that'd make us have to space or actually think hard and read them pretty good to win the match.
Since I kinda knew most Yoshi's would vote Marth, I went along with GnW to see the flow of things since there's like 30+ other characters who's votes will be combined with ours.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush

Please keep in mind this isn't your most difficult matchup. I want to hear your most important matchup. There is a slight, but significant difference in this. If your worst matchup is Jigglypuff - do you consider Jigglypuff an important matchup to actually learn? Doubtful. So please vote for the most IMPORTANT matchup.

Of course, your most important matchup may be your hardest one. But just keep the above in mind.

most important =/= hardest.
Susa Quote = Answer to Sharky -nods-
If only I knew what this =/= buisness meant, I see this everywhere.
Still learning Brawl Terms.

Airborne

Smash Lord
[/color]

Susa Quote = Answer to Sharky -nods-
If only I knew what this =/= buisness meant, I see this everywhere.
Still learning Brawl Terms.

That's not a Brawl term... that's like, middle school algebra and higher terms. >___>

I don't think Marth is our most difficult MU either.

I personally think the MU is overrated
It's not, but the fundamentals that are inherited from this MU are vital to becoming better overall.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
As Susa said, it's not hardest MU, and I don't think it's hard. It's the one where it's the most Important MU.
I didn't think it was Diddy King, Falco, Toon Link, or the usual characters. I just thought maybe GnW Marth or Wolf that'd make us have to space or actually think hard and read them pretty good to win the match.
Since I kinda knew most Yoshi's would vote Marth, I went along with GnW to see the flow of things since there's like 30+ other characters who's votes will be combined with ours.

I know that it doesn't have to be the hardest. MK isn't the hardest.

I judge importance of MU knowledge based on how frequent the MU occurs and how well you need to know it to do well in it. MK fulfills these two points very well, at least in my region, because he's incredibly common. Also, if you don't know how to beat certain moves by heart, on reaction, then you're ****ed.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
I agree with delta. Mk is the most important mu to know, probably for everyone. Diddy and oli would be ahead if they were nearly as common as mk, just because they are really wierd mu's, that are both extremely winnable for yoshi, but you will get destroyed if you don't know the mu.

I feel like you don't really need to know the marth mu to do decently vs him. You realize his sword has really long range and it hurts, and you just play really smartly. There aren't really any special tricks to know in the mu besides his up b beating your jab and making the only way to gimp him edgehogging, and that he has extra ending lag after up b'ing to the ledge and jumping.

marthsword

Smash Ace
:yoshi:

since the very early days when we had to teach you how to roll

in Melee
I don't understand this joke. But it's by far the funniest thing I've ever read.

The metagame is riddled with Marths. No other high tier has ever given me so much trouble, and one legitimate complaint - no tricks/gimmicks on him.

I'm going to move this conversation towards Samus as a difficult (though not the most important) MU. Stage-dependent, have to play so cautious...

D

Deleted member

Marth isnt even hard i dont understand just upsmash and dont get side bd.
I thought shiris joke was funny too .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom