• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll Of The Week #3 - Should Sonic Be In The Next Smash?

Should Sonic Be In The Next Smash?

• Yes, most definitely!

Votes: 315 43.2%
  • No, absolutely not!

Votes: 223 30.5%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 192 26.3%

• Total voters

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Okay, I've seen a lot of debate about this: should Sonic be in the next Super Smash Bros? A lot of people claim that the thing that makes the SSB series great is that they are for Nintendo All-Stars, not Videogame All-Stars. Others, however, believe that the addition of Sonic to the SSB series would be awesome, for it'd show a unity between Sega and Nintendo and finally offer the first videogame where the two appear.

So, what is it? Should he be in or out (or maybe you're not sure yet)? I for one would like to see him in. I think it could only make SSBR more popular, help sell more Revolutions, and you know what, if you really want it to be a "Nintendo All-Star" game, just have you and your friends avoid him and any kind of level / item he brings along as well.

So yup...sorry to get this third poll up late, I've been playing Halo 2 for the past few hours when I should have been reading and studying for a midterm...*sigh*

Krekko

Smash Apprentice
I really don't care if Sonic is in the game or not but it would be good though if Sega characters made apperances, which would mean another group of characters for our use.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
Well, the more the merrier, I say. Also, Krekko is right. That might mean appearences from other Sega characters.

CrusaderMokuba

Smash Rookie
Id rather see more Nintendo charaters enter the fray then anything eles, so sad to say but NO! No outsiders :)

DooDahDizzle

Banned via Administration
i personally feel that, that was a bad poll question...a pathetically bad poll question

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
mc-killa said:
sure,he should definitly be in the next smash,simply because,nintendo owns him now so why not(i mean its a really good idea)
O RLY? since when? Sonic is still owned by Sega, bub. Just though I'd let you know.

Anyway, for some reason I could almost see sonic in SSBM on some grounds of borrowment. Also as a promotion for Sega. However, Sonic carries with him the aura of death and sour chi. So if he were in Smash he might infect it with bad mojo, bad joojoo, or worser still bad voodoo.

Really, though, my offical stance is indifference.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
OMFG NO!!!! No really, Sonic will just screw the whole point of SSB. The only reason he could be in for me is to finally destroy that **** thing... Otherwise... HELL NO! Nintendo only people... Daaaamn why are you guys even in here? Good, you like SSBM... And why? Because of it's style and charm. This would be TOTALLY destroyed if some gay hedgehog walks in there. Call me a fanboy but I dont care, Sonic should NOT be and and will NEVER come in.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
DooDahDizzle said:
i personally feel that, that was a bad poll question...a pathetically bad poll question
Really? It seems pretty even, so I'd say it's turning out to be a good question. If it was bias one way or the other, completely, then there would have been no point. But it's interesting to see everyone's take on it, and to see if more people would want him in or not. In fact, I think it's it an awesome question, and I'm proud of myself for thinking about it.

So there.

:p

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
sonic sucks. balls. i remember going on about this like 5 pages at the beginning of the revolution thread (page 40 or so?) and if sonic is in this game there's gonna be a GIANT "dead pixel" on my tv screen where his character selection thingy is. waterproof paint yeah!

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
<3 Lol chi <3

I'm gonna have to say no on the Sonic idea because I like my falcon being the fastest and sonic, at sonic speed of course, can run faster than falcon. I dunno I am going on a game tour in Japan and I might meet some very important people concerning SSBM and the revolution so I might just ask them about this.

Jorj

Smash Rookie
I think it would be fine for Sonic to join. He is cool enough. Besides, even though sonic is owned by sega, most sonic games are given to Nintendo, if you can't see that.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
Jorj said:
I think it would be fine for Sonic to join. He is cool enough. Besides, even though sonic is owned by sega, most sonic games are given to Nintendo, if you can't see that.
I don't remember this ever happening. Not to mention that doesn't support your arguement that he will be in SSBR.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I voted for "I don't care". But it would be nice to see him in just so I could rub it in the faces of all those idiots on IGN who seem to want to burn a cross on your lawn if you even mention Sonic.

hell no he shouldn't be in! all he cood do is spin anyway, doesnt matter either way though because hes not in no matter what....hes gay.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
mc-killa said:
sure,he should definitly be in the next smash,simply because,nintendo owns him now so why not(i mean its a really good idea)
Well then go tell Iwata and Miyamoto, because I'm sure that's news to them. Unless that was sarcastic, which I hope it was. Sonic should not be in SSB3. I would somewhat like to see Mario and Sonic in the same game, maybe in something like a game with chars from many different companies, etc, but that doesn't need to be in Smash, so keep him out.

Chaotix_0

Smash Apprentice
Listen Up!

For the Longest Time, I have been a Sega fan. It was tragic when Sega died (speaking on the hardware scale) but I was overjoyed to find them still functioning on a software scale in the games of other consoles. Sonic has had new games created on Nintendo Consoles, and as of now, he has more Nintendo games than Ness. So why shouldn't he be in the next smash. It makes perfect sense, he could be a fast light character, with special attacks clearly defined by his games. A rollout-esque SpinDash move and some sort of bouncing movement/attack would make him not only different from the other slew of characters, but hilariously fun to play. Tails should also be included, he could be the only character besides Peach able to use hover, and he could be another character with a SpinDash, to keep Sonic from feeling too out of place. Just because you guys never played the old sonic games, doesn't mean you can formulate an opinion of him based on his latest (quite terrible) console games. And whether you like him or not, he is, as I previously stated, in more Nintendo platform games than Ness, or Marth, or Roy, or Fox, or Falco. Not including him in the next Super Smash Bros would be blatent discrimination, hasn't Sega suffered enough injustices?
...In case you were wondering, I voted Yes

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chaotix_0 said:
For the Longest Time, I have been a Sega fan. It was tragic when Sega died (speaking on the hardware scale) but I was overjoyed to find them still functioning on a software scale in the games of other consoles. Sonic has had new games created on Nintendo Consoles, and as of now, he has more Nintendo games than Ness. So why shouldn't he be in the next smash. It makes perfect sense, he could be a fast light character, with special attacks clearly defined by his games. A rollout-esque SpinDash move and some sort of bouncing movement/attack would make him not only different from the other slew of characters, but hilariously fun to play. Tails should also be included, he could be the only character besides Peach able to use hover, and he could be another character with a SpinDash, to keep Sonic from feeling too out of place. Just because you guys never played the old sonic games, doesn't mean you can formulate an opinion of him based on his latest (quite terrible) console games. And whether you like him or not, he is, as I previously stated, in more Nintendo platform games than Ness, or Marth, or Roy, or Fox, or Falco. Not including him in the next Super Smash Bros would be blatent discrimination, hasn't Sega suffered enough injustices?
...In case you were wondering, I voted Yes
Ohhh noes! Sega will go bankruptcy only because Sonic isn't in a Nintendo game... Dude grow up. Sonic aint gonne be in there, he will never be. Yeah Ness had less Nintendo games then Sonic. But Ness also had less PS2 and Xbox games then Sonic. Sonic is gay. He shouldn't be in.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Resting_Fox said:
O RLY? since when? Sonic is still owned by Sega, bub. Just though I'd let you know.

Anyway, for some reason I could almost see sonic in SSBM on some grounds of borrowment. Also as a promotion for Sega. However, Sonic carries with him the aura of death and sour chi. So if he were in Smash he might infect it with bad mojo, bad joojoo, or worser still bad voodoo.

Really, though, my offical stance is indifference.

well,technically theyre third party with nintendo.

Samael_78

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't really care if Sonic is in the next smash bros or not but I heard from my friend that the whole SSB series was meant to be a collaberation of varied characters (and items) from only Nintendo games. And isn't Sonic from Sega?

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
Wow...a lot of fanboy short answers here...I'd say it would be nice to have Sonic and Tails in it. He's not a pure Nintendo character, so what? Some people don't like him, so what?

I voted "I don't care" though, because it doesn't really matter if he's in it or not, he'd just be a nice surprise for SSBR, that's all.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Koops said:
Sonic is not a nintendo Character and smash Bros is a nintendo character game so why include sonic into it?
To sell more copies, mainly. Who wouldn't want the first videogame that stars Mario and Sonic together? If he's in, he definitely won't be a hidden character; he'll be on the box art, and it'll be advertised a lot.

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
Yeah. Here we go.

This is actually quoting myself from the Sonic War in the early days of the Revolution topic.

I have been putting a lot of effort into trying to convince you all that and why Sonic the Hedgehog can not be in the due sequal to Super Smash Bros. Melee. For comfort, I have tied this effort of mine down to the following conclusion. Just for clarifying purposes.

-----Let's start by saying that SSB64 said on the back, and I quote:

'Super Smash Bros. is the biggest, baddest brawlin' bash, starring all your favourite Nintendo characters.'

Nintendo stated on the E3, that a Wifi Smash Bros. game would be available at launch of the Nintendo Revolution. I will assume that Nintendo was talking about a NEW Smash Bros. game, which I will from hereby on refer to as Super Smash Bros. Revolution (SSBR).
Now about the quote: as subjected to opinion as the word "favourite" is, so factual are the words "Nintendo characters". This could mean no other thing but for the Super Smash Bros. franchise to be about Nintendo characters only.

-----To continue, on the back of the case of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, it says, and this is another quote:

'Sega, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Adventure are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Sega Corporation.'

This means, for a fact, that Sonic the Hedgehog is sole property of Sega (certainly, a bit under the quote, it does say 'licensed by Nintendo' - but this means that Nintendo has licensed that particular game of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Not the character Sonic the Hegdehog).

-----Well then, I'll try to describe for a bit how the gaming-industry works.
When a certain company holds the rights of a certain character, no other company may use this character in a game, unless they, one way or another, obtain (most likely, buy) the rights of this certain character.

The rights of Sonic the Hedgehog are being held by Sega. Hence, there are three options for Sonic the Hedgehog to make it to SSBR.

The first one; Nintendo buys the rights of Sonic the Hedgehog.
I consider this to be out of the question, since the Sonic franchise one of the last, and certainly the greatest trump cards Sega holds to prevent itself from proceeding into total oblivion. That is an exaggeration, don't pin me down on it.

The second one; Nintendo shares the rights of the Smash Bros. franchise with Sega, and this one we can, too, put in a box that says 'things that are not going to happen'. Nintendo's Smash Bros. game on the N64 was immensely popular, and Super Smash Bros. Melee actually turned out to be their best selling game on the Gamecube. Nintendo'd be mad if they shared the rights of the Smash Bros. franchise with Sega (or anyone else), because they know as well as we do, that SSBR is most likely going to be one of the most popular games on the Nintendo Revolution.

About the third option we can be brief; if SSBR was being developed by Sega, they could, as developers of SSBR, put in the characters they have the rights to. This, for instance, happened with Mario Kart GP, developed by Namco, where Pacman appeared, also licensed by Namco.

-----Now to look at what some of you have said to prove me wrong.
There is supposed to be an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto in some Australian magazine, where he would have said Sonic the Hedgehog was intended to be in Super Smash Bros. Melee. But consider this; if Miyamoto would claim such a thing in an interview, he would at least have to have had a lot of people at Nintendo to agree with him (and this includes their topmen). If Miyamoto and Nintendo's other topmen really intended for Sonic to be in the game, he would simply have been there.
But since a lot of people question the integrity of this certain magazine, and it therefor can be said not to be a trustworthy source, I consider this argument based on nothing anyway.

The other one; it was said that, if Pacman could appear in Mario Kart GP, then so would Sonic be able to appear in SSBR. But two subparagraphs above this one, I have already explained this. Namco holds the rights to Pacman, and since Namco made Mario Kart GP, they were licensed to put Pacman in.

So, that's an oldie. But still works. ^__^

Runt

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is one of my favorite characters and he has some of my favorite videogames, but i think putting Sonic in the game wont really make it a nintendo game anymore. I think it will ruin the game.

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
Bornfidelity, I did not read your post. Sorry, I have no time, but if you're saying he won't be in, you're right. HOWEVER, it's a pole about whether or not you want him in.

This is a weak poll, not many options at all. :|

Cross-Blade

Smash Cadet
No, if Sonic were in there, it would just kill the game with a stab wound to the face. And I say that because it would very much degrate what SSB is all about. On top of that, exeptions would lead to more exeptions, which would lead to more exeptions, to lead to even more exeptions, and SSB will be exactly what it wasn't made to be.

Dry-Bones

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you on Tails, Pichu. But I don't care if he's in, just as long as that freakin two-tailed fox isn't always right beside him whereever he goes. Period. Tails is just stupid.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Born, I question whether you're really in the gaming industry or not (you try to talk as though you are, but have you been to the GDC? E3? Who do you know in the industry?).

For example, your sentence "If Miyamoto and Nintendo's other topmen really intended for Sonic to be in the game, he would simply have been there." That's complete and utter bull. More often than not, something that a game developer really wants to put in a game won't be there. In Prince of Persia they had to remove a boss fight that the lead designer absolutely loved and wanted to put in; however, due to time constraint, money issues, size of the game, and all other factors, it was impossible to put in and fix all the bugs associated with it. Things don't get done just because the bigwigs want them to be done. Things get done because they're practical. I'm sure that Miyamoto and other bigwigs wanted to put more characters into SSBM. But that didn't happen, did it? Granted I'm sure that they're satisfied with the final product, but I know that they feel they could have improved on it more. All devs feel that way about games.

Now, as for Sonic rights and issues, yes, the SSB is a huge cashcow for Nintendo. However, it's perfectly plausable and possible that Sega and Nintendo will negotiate a contract that would allow Sonic to appear playable in SSBR. Hell, it wouldn't even have to be for any money, just the sheer PUBLICITY of Sonic in SSBR would increase Sonic sales. Hell, I would probably have never bought Metroid Prime had it not been that Samus was in the SSB series. And I wouldn't have even considered picking up F-Zero had it not been for C.Falcon being in both F-Zero and SSB. I want to play the games that the characters from the SSB series come from, as do many other gamers. And putting Sonic in SSBR would only boost sales for both companies. Who honestly would not purchase the game in protest of having Sonic and Mario together? Out of the millions of people who bought the game, let's say, what, 100 random rabid Nintendo-fans? And how many more will think "Wow, Sonic and Mario together, I remember playing Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World back when I was a kid, perhaps this game is worth picking up."? A lot more, that's how many, and more interested sales means more potential money.

Top Bottom