• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll of the Week #5 - How Many Characters Will Be In SSB3?

How Many Characters Will Be In SSB3?

• 25-28

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • 29-32

Votes: 42 7.3%
  • 33-36

Votes: 110 19.1%
  • 37-40

Votes: 144 25.0%
  • 43-46

Votes: 56 9.7%
  • 47-50

Votes: 43 7.5%
  • 50+

Votes: 66 11.5%
  • I have no clue, I'll be happy with whatever

Votes: 92 16.0%

• Total voters

Digamma

Smash Journeyman
I have to say 37-40, Although that's being very optimistic. I doubt very much that they will put in that many characters but I sure hope they do.
There would be alot more strategy to counter-picking and I think the game would be more fun with more characters as a whole.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm going to say 43-46. If they take out direct clones(and make them viable costumes, but in the same space, like in Mortal Kombat Trilogy), then they would be able to have more than enough characters. Many choices available, and possibly hidden bosses.(being the Metal Bros. and Giant DK, since Master Hand and Crazy Hand would be too wierd...and Giga Bowser playable is just too good. Especially if they make him easier to work with!)

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
I think 35 characters. That is 10 new characters and a good leap (however not as big as from SSB to SSBM) to mark that something has happened.

dr.neo

Smash Champion
This is the Revolution we are talking about REVOLUTION at first i dont think they were expecting ssbm to become as big as it did. They are going to put a huge leap from ssbm and the new one for revolution. This is a guess but i think there will be at least 60 characters. i dont think they will be up for downloading.What do you all think about that!

Sh3iK

Smash Rookie
think of it, would you play ssbm3 on a ****in' tv remote

so intense

unless they release different controllers like i already talked about

Sh3iK

Smash Rookie
p.s. sorry i have a life outside of game forums and don't check for upcoming releases of games

i'm only doing this one because i've pwned everyone i've played in smash and i thought maybe i could meet some real game.

saiyansnake

Smash Rookie
Sh3iK said:
p.s. sorry i have a life outside of game forums and don't check for upcoming releases of games

i'm only doing this one because i've pwned everyone i've played in smash and i thought maybe i could meet some real game.
Ah my friend, thats the beauty of the new Smash. With the online addition you WILL find some new, real game everyday. Just hang tight.

CuckooOfTime

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to say 37-40. Seems the most logical. Though I'd like to believe that they'd double the number again, that would just make it way too hard on them, plus that would leave virtually no new characters for (hopefully) another entry in the series. 37-40 sounds the most reasonable.

Oh, and Sh3ik, there are plenty of people here to "pwn" you. Trust me. Almost any of the regular posters would more than likely ruin you in smash. Can you even l-cancel yet? Do you even know what l-canceling is? Get back to me when you do.

Man, I could probably even 4-stock you. And I suck compared to some of the people here.

Hopefully you get pwned by a mod for double-posting :dizzy:

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
50+

If they continue with their 'doubling' thing they've got going on, then there should be 50 characters and 60 stages. Which would rock...a lot.

Of course, I'm being very optimistic, but if I say it enough, it'll come true! ;)

EDIT: But I'd much rather have around 40 characters if they were just going to have a bunch of lame copies of characters again.

Pichu OH MY GOD!

Smash Rookie
You people act like "If Nintendo adds too many characters, there won't be room for new ones" The Revolution opens the door for Nintendo to create new characters and series. THe next game after the SSBrev probably won't arrive for 5 more years......plenty of time for new stuff I say (and bringing back some of the ole old 1 game characters)

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
All I can see Nintendo doing is filling in the spaces that they missed out for other characters from SSBM (Wario,Toad,Diddy Kong,King Boo(?)) and perhaps add in a few faces from their gamecube line.however gamecube has had some tough times,and their games haven't produced such fantastically wacky characters as Nintendo used to.Even though the gamecube has got some brilliant games,I cant see many of the characters making a good placement for SSBR.Krystals the most likely.and maybe the crappiest of them all,Waluigi,might make a place too.I'd also love to see someone from Paper Mario in there(Dry Bones),and Advance Wars.but alot of people want characters that most(including myself)havent heard of.so there would be no point in putting them in.Granted most hadnt heard of marth roy or ness beforehand,but they were very big in japan.

Penetrago

Smash Apprentice
yeah i agree with cpt. zeppo they will be adding to the rooster to make it stronger, it would be nice to see ganon not being a clone, maybe a sword? but he is really cool just now aswell so i don't know if they'll kepp him they way he s or change him.being a gamecube n00b i don't know that many nintendo characters they could use, some dragonball z characters would be good but they arent nintendo so there was no point in bringing that up, also they would have to be made fair as they would ****.some me sowrd characters would be nice but not enough so as they become this big majority and shade out the cartoony characters,maybe they'll bring in an animal crossing guy who'll be really ****e , maybe that guitar playing dog , and he could smash people with his guitar and use a move similar to 'rest' and play it and knock them out.

Krekko

Smash Apprentice
If there were more then 45-50 characters, it would just be too much in my opinion. It will make matches and tourny's more intresting because of the wide variety, but you can't have so many different strategies for so many characters and different play styles. Also, some are going to want to use the new controllers, which make take a good while to even get used to before figuring out how they are going to play with a character. If there ends up being so many characters, this game is going to be something else for sure =).

Sh3iK

Smash Rookie
CuckooOfTime said:
Oh, and Sh3ik, there are plenty of people here to "pwn" you. Trust me. Almost any of the regular posters would more than likely ruin you in smash. Can you even l-cancel yet? Do you even know what l-canceling is? Get back to me when you do.

Man, I could probably even 4-stock you. And I suck compared to some of the people here.

Hopefully you get pwned by a mod for double-posting :dizzy:
apologies everyone. i play a little too much halo on live so when i get called a noob i go off the walls. And don't underestimate me, i'm sure i can get pwned but then again so can everyone. And i don't know if there's a topic about this already but i really do hate c-smashers. I almost lost today because someone kept c-smashing as fox. And to the post above the one i quoted, and characters from golden sun would be sick, and tales of symphonia would be nasty too. Imagine playing as older Mithos in smash bros:psycho:

and again sorry for my noobish behavior

GAmer1991

Smash Apprentice
meleeman5000 said:
50 would be perfect for like a Revolution Revilation game. The game to finalize smash bros.
Finalize? I personally would like more than 3 smash games.

To Sh3ik, If the player you mentioned was spamming, then couldn't you just counter it with something just as annoying of your own?

Back on topic, I would like maybe 30-35 characters. anything above that seems like too many for me.

Dapenda

Smash Champion
there more characters there are, the more clones there will be, i personally prefer brand new chars as opposed to clones

Sh3iK

Smash Rookie
GAmer1991 said:
To Sh3ik, If the player you mentioned was spamming, then couldn't you just counter it with something just as annoying of your own?
No, it's kind of good training, fighting against a spammer. In a way. I just had to dodge like a tank though and go all guerilla warfare on his a$$ with dash attacks.

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
I think there will be more clones. And more clones of single players. Think like this: nearly every character has 1-3 clones. Say, if you pick Link, you can choose between Link and Young link. If you pick Captain Falcon, you can pick between him and three other F-zero racers. Same basics with almost everyone who could convieibly have a clone. The clones would be slighty different just like in SSBM.

Clones, to me at least, are a bouns and shouldn't be seen as cop-outs from making 'real' characters.

dr.neo

Smash Champion
Here are the characters i think they will deffinetely consider. there will be balloon fighter, another character from fzero there will be more kongs prolly k rule. there will deffinetely be wario im also thinking boo and i am now tired of typing

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Dapenda said:
there more characters there are, the more clones there will be, i personally prefer brand new chars as opposed to clones
Except that clones are last minute additions, so it's either clones, or less characters. I think we all would perfer clones to less.

No clue to how many, whatever's good as long as there's more than one character.

Crono[Nes]

Smash Rookie
37-40 i think, of course sheik/zelda separated . . . and waiting for kingboo appearing as the final character :p, probably 1-2 more ´pokemons ( dunno which ones ) maybe another zelda character, another kong, of coursemore mario characters and myabe some new games characters

Sh3iK

Smash Rookie
nuro said:
Let me make an educated guess here.

SSB had 12 Characters SSBM had 25(26 w/ sheik)

Thats about double. So I'd say they will double the SSBM amount giving them around 50.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2289/ssbr2c0yp.jpg
i don't know if that link is real yet or just really good photoshopping. i haven't checked. i've seen tons of these including this one http://www.geocities.com/dewluigi2002/biggie.jpg which is the worst. but that covers everyone i can think of. minus of course the fabled "sonic and tails". i have a friend who still thinks you can use them and claims to have played as them.

p.s. i haven't checked if sonic and tails are in the link above because that thing is beastly.

Krekko

Smash Apprentice
Sh3iK said:
i don't know if that link is real yet or just really good photoshopping. i haven't checked. i've seen tons of these including this one http://www.geocities.com/dewluigi2002/biggie.jpg which is the worst. but that covers everyone i can think of. minus of course the fabled "sonic and tails". i have a friend who still thinks you can use them and claims to have played as them.

p.s. i haven't checked if sonic and tails are in the link above because that thing is beastly.

Wow, that is a terrible character screen. Luke and Darth Vader? Batman and Hulk? Some of those are just plain stupid, even if it is a joke. Moon and the 2 faries from Majora's Mask? You gatta be kidding me. Whoever made that....meh

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Well according to that, there are 71 characters. And that's a rather overstuffed list considering they included Dribble and SPitz. :confused:

About it's authenticity. Hell no, it's not real. If it were real all the characters' portraits would most likely be derived from their in-game 3D models, Pit, Several Pokemon, and all the Zelda, Golden Sun, and Fire emblem characters are still in animated form. Not to mention that screen is completely lacking in a back button of Teamplay button as in SSBM. Now the Back I could understand missing, but an absent Teamplay, No way.

However, It's not a bad design, the hexagons I mean. Cut off everything below the fourth row and you've got a reasonable number of characters.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I voted for 50+. Lately more & more fighting games are starting to have close to or over 50 characters. The new Mortal Kombat game that's coming out later this year has been confirmed to have over 60 characters, & it's not even going to be for the next gen consoles.

It's even easier for Nintendo to have a lot of characters for SSB then it is for most fighting games, because they don't have to create new characters. They just select already existing characters from various other games, where as games like Soul Calibur & Mortal Kombat have to come up with new characters from scratch.

So I think there's a very good chance to see over 50 characters in SSB3, but 40 at the very least. I think all you people who voted for less then 40 are crazy, I could name 15 characters off hand that almost have to be added this time around.

Zenith

Smash Ace
Maybe not 50, but maybe between 37-40.
Nintendo is real focused with their games and they aren't like other fighting game producers.
They stay on a simple task, so basicly, their just gonna fix up the gameplay.
You never know, there might be NO new characters.

BLAZIKEN IN SSBR PLEASE

Top Bottom