• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's good to have some sort of goal in mind when you're drawing and want to improve.

It doesn't have to be anything seriously complicated ("I'm going to sit down and draw a masterpiece comic book today"). Draw what you enjoy, and when you run into trouble look for reference to make it look like how you want.

But unless you plan on making a career out of your drawings, seriously, who cares if they look 'terrible'. Just have fun with it for your own sake. :D Drawing is awesome but only do it if you want to.
This is all part of my problem. I don't know what to improve as I suck at everything atm, I don't know what I like to draw and I am usually too lazy to start doing it. I really wanna draw, but I just can't get that paper and start drawing stuff.

neous

Smash Journeyman
soon, i'm gonna start hardcore promo-ing that gallery that you guys helped me with, along with my submission to the gallery: a "kids" book.

rough build available to read: http://imgur.com/a/zdquC#0

a few of you already have favorite pages.
if memory serves correctly:
aly likes m
geist likes f
and ofc wemp likes p

:D

edit: i agree with blu assassin.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
So guys, I was derping around on the internet looking at concept art, and I kinda realized, I really need to ramp up my game..
I haven't really been improving TOO much over this year. I have a tablet, but no clue how to really digitally paint. Or color in general actually ._.
So I was wondering since there's like, so many really good artists around these parts, maybe one of you guys would be willing to take on a student :3? Just wondering if anyone is interested (also I don't know whether I'd make a new thread or not, so I kept it on the safe side and put it in the social.)

Tl;dr, I'm not really impressed with my artistic skill, Want to get better, would reallly appreciate a teacher/tutor of sorts.
Thank you so much to anyone who considers this x)

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'll upload vids of digital paints maybe sometime
I'm not the best, but I know color stuff pretty okay :o traditional coloring is my specialty....and I love digital colorin to pieces <3
(ps Im gonna buy a bajillion copics someday. I has 3. Now I need moarrrrr)

:phone:

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
So guys! I decided to remake the first plushie I ever did since I was looking at my first and going "damn I could have done different stuff" since I kind of just winged it with her since I had no clue what I was doing but yeah SOOOOOOO after a few more plushies I made this one I styled her a little differently well just the hair since now others can style her hair cuz I gave it that ability :D Improvements~ Still have a way to go before i'm amazing but i like the re-made plush :D

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
So guys, I was derping around on the internet looking at concept art, and I kinda realized, I really need to ramp up my game..
I haven't really been improving TOO much over this year. I have a tablet, but no clue how to really digitally paint. Or color in general actually ._.
So I was wondering since there's like, so many really good artists around these parts, maybe one of you guys would be willing to take on a student :3? Just wondering if anyone is interested (also I don't know whether I'd make a new thread or not, so I kept it on the safe side and put it in the social.)

Tl;dr, I'm not really impressed with my artistic skill, Want to get better, would reallly appreciate a teacher/tutor of sorts.
Thank you so much to anyone who considers this x)
Can you pm your art? Dont worry I wont post it and Ill give you a rating from 1-100

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm currently working on a guilty pleasure:

Western Steam Punk.

However, I fear the longer I work on it the more surreal it will get. I'm not very good working within the confines of reality

I am, however, studying a lot about the culture back then, including beliefs, superstitious, etc. to make parallels. Even if it's going to be completely different from the reality we know

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
:O I like the new title of this thread :3 also, currently working on so many things ;-; i will show you guys later!!!!!! <3

I wanna see more of your drawings and stuff peoples~ I used to paint but i wasn't very great xD

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
:O I like the new title of this thread :3 also, currently working on so many things ;-; i will show you guys later!!!!!! <3

I wanna see more of your drawings and stuff peoples~ I used to paint but i wasn't very great xD
I'm curious; what exactly do you make your plushies out of? Do you, like, sw or glue stuff together? I'd like to know so I can better appreciate your plushies. The more I see them, the more I want one haha.

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
Well I sew everything xD either by my machine or by hand. Like for outfits a lot of times i'll need to hand sew the attachments.

Ummm I use various types of fabric? all humanoids get made from deer suede. Clothes depend i mean typically it's suede/pleather/comfy flannel. uhhh suede is the best xD if it's pokemon it's either made from anti-pill fleece (cheaper) or minky xD

I hand paint the faces unless someone tells me to embroider but for minky fabric i can only embroider.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *blinks* I get reference pictures, draw out the character, then make a pattern and ....then i work from there xD sew it up put stuffing and close it xD I mean that's like a general idea of what I do xD IT'S ALL SUPER FUN!

Geist

Smash Master
Ah I remember my days of gimp.
Decent tutorials. A few things were done in the first vid that I actually wasn't familiar with. I think you could have also gone the route of alpha masking and layer effects with gradients.

Also this thread has been strangely inactive lately. >_>

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I prefer photoshop to gimp.

Everything is more intuitive with photoshop. Or maybe it's because I learned photoshop first.

Regardless, there are still things I haven't figured out how to do with Gimp that I could easily do with photoshop

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
I'm pretty terrible at using a tablet to draw TT_TT I prefer to just do traditional pencil sketches xD Or paint. Painting is fun :) You guys wanna see one of my recent pencil drawings? lol it's in pencil tho...so there isn't color o-o i just liked it xD

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I like using my tablet, but I usually sketch stuff out by hand, scan it, then trace it in Photoshop. I find it a lot easier to make stuff look good that way.
I think it's just because I don't use my tablet enough on its own anymore. I used to only use my tablet but then I got too busy to draw on my comp or something and did more stuff in a sketchbook.

Photoshop elements 5 da bess.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Ordered ImagineFX magazine's How to Draw and Paint Game Art and How to draw and paint anatomy specials off the internet

......IMPATIENT......
I WANT.....
NOWWWWWW

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
I have to scan it onto my computer then but I actually might not cause you guys are all way better and I'm terrible lol Ugh like I might do it though ...maybe depends on how I'm feeling :D

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Do it!!!

I have a question about pixel density, if anyone is up to it. So the iPhone 4S has a pixel density of 328ppi. When making a wallpaper for it would you need to change the default ppi or would simply making it the image in the native resolution of 640x960 work. Or am I just being dumb. I still trying to grasp what exactly ppi means when it comes to actually creating stuff. I get that it stuffing more pixels into a smaller space, but that is about all I getting.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
ppi is Pixels per Inch, so basically how many individual pixels are in one square inch of the screen. If you want to make a full-resolution background for an iPhone, make it have 328 pixels per inch resolution and the same aspect ratio as 640:960 (it doesn't necessarily have to be 640x960 but it should have the same length:width ratio).

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I have to scan it onto my computer then but I actually might not cause you guys are all way better and I'm terrible lol
You don't think we're going to like make fun or something do you?

I feel like the regulars around here are fairly nice about stuff like that...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea. nobody is mean to beginners! in reality most of us are still budding amateurs, and all in the same boat. we're here to help each other, and if anybody gives mean criticism that isn't constructive, it's best just to ignore it. that person's just being a bully. and i haven't seen any here

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
XD well okay sorry about the pic quality I had to use my phone and what not :/ but this way you guys can see my drawings and not just plushies xD

Hopefully that works lol
Ugh I can't see it blargh ill figure it out when I'm home I guess

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
XD well okay sorry about the pic quality I had to use my phone and what not :/ but this way you guys can see my drawings and not just plushies xD

Hopefully that works lol

You used the dA page link in the image xD
I right click the image and copy image location to get it
So this is your drawing
[COLLAPSE="i like drawing by LoliLovesRain"]
(img)http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/142/2/6/i_like_drawing_by_lolilovesrain-d50qx5i.jpg(/img)[/COLLAPSE]

A portrait-- Swag~ Details too. How do you feel about the hair?

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
Thanks for that haha I remember doing it once noooo idea why I forgot that xD and how do I feel about the hair?? I actually kind of liked it xD like right where the ear is I like lol I have a lot to improve on with drawing though o.o

The hair if I look at it like just it didn't seem as natural like it doesn't have pieces out and stuff you know? Sorry I'm not great at explaining orz

Geist

Smash Master
So I might be the only one who's aware of this, but HondaFoo's art has been buzzing around the featured page of http://cghub.com/ for a few weeks now. For those not in the know, cghub is a forum for professional artists, so I give him my congrats on that. That's pretty awesome.
I think he goes by tsuaii on that iirc

Geist

Smash Master
dead thread is dead
I've decided to start posting my daily studies and exercises so you guys can get some helpful anatomy reference, and an idea about the stuff I do to improve my skills.

female back anatomy, 15 minutes

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
All of the gustas

Also, yugioh playmat progress <3 v-13 from brayzbroooooo (ct DLC color)
Microns, prismas, neopikos on a blank white playmat

Geist

Smash Master
Lookin good lokii
lambda always had a nice tummy

As promised, my daily study (from yesterday lol)

Faces without any reference - focusing on different head angles, 5-15 minutes each
I hate her nose so much

Geist

Smash Master
So I had a pretty interesting assignment in Zbrush class, we had to crate an alien or monster of our choice by warping the facial features of a sculpt we had previously made (I made nathan fillion lol)
but yeah then our goal was to create anatomy for our creature in portrait and in profile

So here's the anatomy of a Drell lol

The 3d sculpt took about 5 hours, the paintings about 20-40 minutes each
click for a slightly larger image

Glynis1993

Smash Rookie
Well, that is my first check out to www.smashboards.com ! We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a regional community in the exact same niche. Your phorum supplied us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous task!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Well, that is my first check out to www.smashboards.com ! We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a regional community in the exact same niche. Your phorum supplied us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous task!
:nifty:

-actually, I think I got it.

Top Bottom