• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

LoliLovesRain

Smash Master
I haven't posted anything in a while O_O I'm workign on two commissions one of Madoka and the other of Hinagiku xD plushies of course tho

Oh before I forget you guys should vote for nick riddle for the BBR interview thingie xD it's here Hi Dgames social xD this is my post so i can sub to this thread xD because yeah :) You're all awesome annnnd

can you vote for Nick riddle here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14736835#post14736835 ? :3 yesh yesh thank you !!!!!!!!~ <3

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I just got an Intuos4 recently, it looks and feels so great. I installed it on a computer with photoshop but I still haven't figured out how to paint on that.

Hichez, I've seen lots of people say good things about Monoprice tablets http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841 They're definitely affordable anyhow. If you want a slightly more well-known brand, the Genius Mousepen 8x6 goes for around ~$50. I had that before I got my Intuos and I've never had any problems with it, it's just that the pen made my hand hurt.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
I have an Intuo3 "special edition" tablet that I had originally purchased for $380 3 years ago but "stuff" happened and I only wound up using it on maybe 20 separate days before ultimately forgetting about it. (-.-)

I should've known better than to make that kind of purchase back in the day when I have little skill in drawing. It only wound up putting me a couple hundred dollars in the hole. I'll just be sticking to the sketchpad for now.

I am also jealous of Cintiqs but damn... I could get that musical instrument I wanted for that price. Are you getting the 12WX or a larger one?

Geist

Smash Master
My poor wacom bamboo is being held together by the dreams and wishes of children who still believe, and a bit of masking tape.
Chok you have my jealousy, though to play the typical snobby artist I don't like relying on painting on the smaller cintique screens since the color is somewhat unreliably skewed. Not on those large desk sized ones though I tell you.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
actually yeah

i am gonna save up for a longer time for the 22HD

but still

feels good to know i'm well on my way. i'm about halfway for that one

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This is something I just recently did. I am unhappy with the end result. The anatomy of his upper left leg is ****ed and his abdomen is positioned awkwardly in comparison to the rest of his body and the values in his red underwear doesn't help with that, either. Also, I didn't want to put much focus on the cape, and that shows.

OH WELL! I plan on doing another super hero drawing. But probably with different media. Just thought I'd show you all so you know I'm not dead.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
At least you're aware of your own errors, should be easier to fix them for next time. And we're glad you're not dead.

I'm impressed by pretty much anything decent with colored pencils though since I can't use them to save my life.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Colored pencils are pretty bangin, if done right. Get some textured paper, layer on multiple colors, you can get some real emotional coloration from it. Just know your colors and what looks well with what. But you know how art is; Sometimes it's what doesn't work well that could potentially evoke stronger feels.

Geist

Smash Master

This is something I just recently did. I am unhappy with the end result. The anatomy of his upper left leg is ****ed and his abdomen is positioned awkwardly in comparison to the rest of his body and the values in his red underwear doesn't help with that, either. Also, I didn't want to put much focus on the cape, and that shows.

OH WELL! I plan on doing another super hero drawing. But probably with different media. Just thought I'd show you all so you know I'm not dead.
So I'll start this off by touching on the most fundamental things, and then start going more and more into nit-picky detail.
There are problems present that developed in very early stages, so what I recommend you practice most from what I see from your results are the first and foremost figure drawing steps, before details, or even structure becomes a thing. Everything is going to be built off these first steps and without them, you'll miss things like force, movement, anatomy, structure, all which come together to create a natural looking pose. Right now, your pose is very rigid and artificial, suggesting you either didn't start off mapping everything out, or you jumped ahead too quickly into structure. You probably are at least somewhat aware of figure drawing steps, but just to re-itterate, I made a small and simple tutorial a while back of the making of one of my drawings. It might help you with basics a bit.

So moving on to anatomy, it looks like everything important is there, just not all in the right place. The fickle thing about anatomy is that it starts to look kind of silly when you draw too much attention to it. Instead of making everything structured with lines, you'll be better off leaving that job to shading and color. At the very least, don't have lines that are so thick show everything off. Lines are best suited when they help create and emulate the feel of a third dimension, and since life doesn't exist with outlines, drawing a single line to represent a bicep or an abdominal region. This is best show in superman's thighs and kneecaps, where you've allowed shading to take place of straight linework, and you've defined the kneecaps with more general, organic lines. Compare this now to his right arm, which does the complete opposite of both these things, using a single oval to define a bicep and leaving the colored pencil shading to do nothing but create egg-like bumps underneath his skin. I think if the entire drawing was done in the same fashion as the legs were done, it would be 30x better at least, overall. That being said, the lines in the legs do seem a bit thick and dark, kinda like you were going for an inked look and then bailed last minute.

Onto colored pencil usage, I'll first say that they take a whole lot of patience, and they really need time and care, but you know this already. I still have to say it though, because a single part that looks hastily done, or any time there's not enough layering going on, it shows. I'm talking about the cape, but you probably already figured that out too. Impatience happens, but it really drags everything else down with it, which is a pity because colored pencil is so permanent to work with and there's no reversing a lot of the times.
Next time you work with colored pencils, start with the darkest regions first. The pitch blacks and the dark blues/purples will be there by the end no matter what layering you use, so they go first. Keep your pencils sharp, because they become less consistent and get nasty textures if you don't keep them in good condition. Keep your pencil strokes neat and tidy, following the curvature of the surface and building up in darker areas. A well done colored pencil drawing should have no less than 20 layers of different colors and shades working as gradients and blends to make a much more vast array of colors than the 24 or so that you initially are given in a package.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
So I finally found the grip pen to my Intuos3 tablet after having lost track of it and the classic pen that came with the set during moving. It only took two years, and that classic pen still goes for $50. >.>

Geist

Smash Master
nah, I was planning on doing some for stuff like facial expressions, figure drawing part 2, clothing, lighting, color, digital painting basics and some other ones, but they take a long time to make.
Also I accepted your friend invite on cghub :D

neous

Smash Journeyman
Halp

I'd like to kindly request some digital camera purchasing advice.

Ive been searching for a bit, and i feel pretty lost. I dont know anything about cameras really, so im looking for something easy to use. I really need something better than the quality on my phone.

what ill be using the camera for:
if i were to paint some walls, some as big as an average room's walls, and some really big ones, i'd like to be able to take good pictures of the final products. I also want to be able to record the painting process in high quality.

im looking for something portable and durable, as i may be going to some dirty places,
and something with a good battery life so i can record the process without having to recharge too much.

any advice is appreciated

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
DSLRs are quite suitable for that. The cheapest runs at about roughly 500~600 gold doubloons. I have a Nikon D3000 and has been quite satisfactory in quality. The single downfall that has me not use it as often as I would like is the fact it does not have Video recording (I think I love video editing more than taking pictures). With that said, the next iteration, the D3100, includes video recording.

I can't speak on video quality, but I can confirm it will be better than most video dedicated cameras on the market (HD is a buzzword in the camera world because you can have a great resolution, but a crappy photo regardless; Look at phone cameras today on smart phones and you'll know what I mean).

For what you're looking for, you might have to buy a specialized lens that doesn't come in the box; that'll run you up a couple hundred extra.

I recommend DSLRs because they are, without a doubt the best cameras to choose. You'll have a little scuffle over namebrands Nikon and Canon, and I can't tell you why one is better than the other, but you would not regret the choice. The are expensive, but not without good reason. You'd be using yours for a life time. Those other posers just can't stack up to that kind of quality.

Also, check Adorama.com. If you find a camera that you like and they supply one that's refurbished, you can chop off nearly an extra 300 off the price tag.

Geist

Smash Master
neous- what zio said

SO I JUST GOT AN INTUOS 5
I KNOW MOST OF YOU KNOW FROM SKYPE BECAUSE I KEEP SAYING IT BUT I HAVE TO OFFICIALLY DOCUMENT IT ON THE INTERNET

so to celebrate, here's Lokii and Alleycat cosplaying as plusle and minun

dawwww

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I checked this thread, to, you know, keep up with the artsy people here who all adore me.

I was not disappointed.

Brent, keep up with your divine quest.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really want to learn painting, but last time I bought stuff it was SUPER expensive. Anyone know paper you can paint on that isn't as expensive?

...The paint was expensive too, but I think I can deal with it

Edit: I actually specifically want to learn watercolor, but I always flip flop

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Okay, watercolors can get preeeettty pricy
But it's worth it

Student grade supplies run a lot cheaper, so make sure you are getting the student grade

Pro grade is VERY PRICY. But it's because the pigment is much more refined/pure, and has a more vibrant color.
Got to work with pro grade gouache....
Holy crap the colors ; u ;

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is kind of a weird question, but do you think it would look good if you had different layers you painted on different pieces of paper and cut them out and put them on top of each other to form and art piece. Or would people think it would be unsophisticated/ lazy

It' just an idea I had for a very specific project

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Yay, that site's really nice Bren, I'm doing one of their challenge thingys.

Also Lokii and Ally are so cute awww

I really want to learn painting, but last time I bought stuff it was SUPER expensive. Anyone know paper you can paint on that isn't as expensive?

...The paint was expensive too, but I think I can deal with it

Edit: I actually specifically want to learn watercolor, but I always flip flop
I've always used Strathmore 300 series paper, it's 140lb and cold-press. I've never really used any other paper, but I haven't had any problems with this. I don't stretch my papers but with this I can just tape down the edges and it won't wrinkle much. I recommend that you don't use lightweight papers for watercolor though, especially not papers not made especially for watercolor like cardstock, that stuff comes apart real easy and it soaks up all the water. You can paint on both sides too if you're just practicing.

I'm curious, what kind of paint are you using? I used to use a 12-pack of Reeves tube watercolor that cost $10. The color wasn't as brilliant as professional quality watercolor but it was still pretty good, and I have unfinished tubes from 9 years ago that still work. I did this http://global-wolf.deviantart.com/art/Boundary-143620032 with these paints and the Strathmore paper. I don't know what Reeves pan watercolor are like though.

I buy my art materials online on ****blick, everything there is less than the list price. You can browse other papers and paint there too, they have a review system.

Edit: Oh also tube watercolor lasts a loooooooooooong time haha

Edit2: Um, I just noticed it censored part of the name of the website. You can probably find it pretty easy anyway I guess.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not a painter. It's just something I want to do.

I've got a lot of ideas, sketched some things out.

When sketching what I want to paint out, oddly I go about it a lot differently than when I just draw.

If I end up never painting these I'll upload just the sketches I did for the paintings because the sketches themselves turned out pretty good

Edit: Well here's the sketch

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
You're getting so old now! You'll need your "back in my day..." tirades and cane pretty soon.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Turned 21? I was on a beach vacation with my friends on my 21st birthday.

We all got wasted

Top Bottom