• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Geist

Smash Master
this is true

people should play this game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiHQN1q8ln4
it's not really a game but it's halloween soon and it's free

it's inspired by a sort of creepypasta-esque website that catagorizes paranormal phenomenon encounters called SCP
there's more than one game in alpha phase that are based off of these stories that are in development so far, and imo this one is the best put together one so far.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ok here is one of the characters I was having a hard time drawing.

It's incomplete though, he's missing hands for one.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
guys i got the cintiq to work...

gotta find a way to download and reinstall adobe master collection cs5...

but until then i'm practicing with it on FireAlpaca...

as;ldkjfa;lkdsjf i'm getting used to it really quickly... so excited...

i'll share things that i draw every now and then

but for the most part i'm going to keep 90% of my current project a secret

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just realized making the spiked bracers in that angle is horrible...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was looking through the digimon artwork from Bandai.

...Maybe the Bandai digimon artwork did inspire me some with my drawings. But I did draw similar to what I do now before I heard of Digimon

Geist

Smash Master
Lots of influences are totally subconscious and a lot of the time aren't even related to the thing you're designing.
I had a spaceship design completely ripping off the shape of a building here in vancouver and I had no idea I pulled the idea from that until someone pointed it out

:phone:

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Man, trying to get yourself to paint after a long day at work can be really hard

Also doesn't help that I'm the slowest painter in the world, and by the time I get going it's already time for bed

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm surprised a high school has AP art. Maybe my high school just didn't take art seriously

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Isn't that where all AP classes are? I thought AP classes were college-level courses usually offered during high school junior and senior years

cannedbread

Smash Lord
it just wasn't very enjoyable honestly

i haven't enjoyed drawing anything since

like maybe it's just pen and paper i don't enjoy i don't know

maybe 3d design would be fun or something but i've never tried it

and yeah that's basically what ap courses are you get like college credit for it too i think

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
What type of things were you doing in the class? Maybe it was the teacher; bad ones can ruin any subject

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't that where all AP classes are? I thought AP classes were college-level courses usually offered during high school junior and senior years
I just mean there wasn't an AP art in my school. There was only 1 art course at all

cannedbread

Smash Lord
i had to create like 2 portfolios during a school year

one was called a concentration it involved making 12 pieces centered around a specific theme or idea

i chose shoes after spending a long time thinking about something too specific

the other section was called breadth and i had to create another 12 pieces that were mostly just eclectic pieces that showed how versatile i was i guess

i had to work more than the other students because i skipped pre ap art so i didn't have anything else to put in my portfolios so i had to basically make 24 good pieces in one school year and it was soooo much work

like i dropped my lunch period to draw and basically spent any free time i had in school drawing

most of my concentration were scratchboard carvings because they were really easy and i could make a bunch of good looking ones in a short time span

the others were just contourish sketchey ink drawings but i got sick of doing that fast

i can't paint to save my life so yeah

my teachers were really cool and helpful though

i never even got my scores yet

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wow your school does take this stuff seriously.

We just painted and drew random stuff and everyone got an A if they completed the assignment on time

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo

one was called a concentration it involved making 12 pieces centered around a specific theme or idea

the other section was called breadth and i had to create another 12 pieces that were mostly just eclectic pieces that showed how versatile i was i guess

i had to work more than the other students because i skipped pre ap art so i didn't have anything else to put in my portfolios so i had to basically make 24 good pieces in one school year and it was soooo much work

like i dropped my lunch period to draw and basically spent any free time i had in school drawing

most of my concentration were scratchboard carvings because they were really easy and i could make a bunch of good looking ones in a short time span

the others were just contourish sketchey ink drawings but i got sick of doing that fast

Sounds pretty similar to what I remember my AP Studio Art class being like. If you do decide to go into art for college, I think the credit counts towards a class like Drawing I or something similar, just make sure you tell them about it so that it gets used up (mine didn't)

Doing scratchboard and ink drawings for a whole class sounds pretty rough, I think most people would get sick of that too. Maybe try expanding into more mediums and into color, since it sounds like you're mostly doing things in black and white. Learning about color and painting tends to open up a whole new world of inspiring things, even when you're not skilled with them yet. If you're like me and scared to pick up a real paint brush but still want to learn how to paint, get a tablet and start messing around in Photoshop.

Art should be about opening new paths in your thinking and just expanding your mind indefinitely

cannedbread

Smash Lord
yeah it was pretty kinda sris

towards the end of it all we had to mail it off and have orientations and stuff

i was the only one who had actually finished so i had to help everyone mount stuff to mail it off to be like rated

some of us took it really seriously but most of the class just did it for credits

Geist

Smash Master
Man, trying to get yourself to paint after a long day at work can be really hard

Also doesn't help that I'm the slowest painter in the world, and by the time I get going it's already time for bed
I challenge you 1 on 1 for title of slowest painter
to the death
gentlemans rules
no reference and layers for every color

That's what my AP art was like
only I took it 4 times since paying the fee to recieve college credits wasn't required and I ended up being an unofficial assistant teacher and the instructor running the class didn't want me to leave :V

C.SDK

Smash Ace
What I do when I'm bored:

Original stock image

New edited image

hahaha :embarrass:

I've been really itching lately to do something so hopefully I go through with it and if it's not too terrible, I might share it with you guys, haha.

EDIT: I did this for the SSBM paint rage thread. Is that how one blends on teh computer? (see Fox.)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My media teacher decided to put me in both 3D and advanced 3D next quarter because our school might be getting rid of 3D in the spring.

...Well, that kind of sucks

It's actually because the previous dean overspent their budget making a monument to themselves. (In the form of a fancy student center named after them)

He said I can used the advanced 3D class to work on my regular 3D stuff and can use anything I pick up in it for the other class

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone know what the boy comic equivalent of "magical girl" is/ called? I'm guessing it's something like a Super Sentai, but can you have a super sentai like series without giant morphing robots?

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Cute art Luvsic! The Peach and Fox drawing is about Melee I'm guessing?
Thank you! (:

Yes, indeed. The SSBM paint rage thread is where people use MS Paint to illustrate qualms that they may have in Melee. This one in particular is about Peach's way2good crouch-cancelled down smash.

AE, I have a question! I have some ideas for some stories/novels and I am sitting here not knowing what viewpoint to use, how to start, or when I do start, I can't see how I can convey what I see in my head through writing. I feel like the only way I can do this is through film or visual novels. My mind thinks like the way a movie plays and closely related to visual novels. Am I just visually oriented? I mean, I'm not saying I can't write simple stories now and then, but I tend to get imaginative/creative and my stories get overly complex and I can't convey those images through writing.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Thank you! (:

Yes, indeed. The SSBM paint rage thread is where people use MS Paint to illustrate qualms that they may have in Melee. This one in particular is about Peach's way2good crouch-cancelled down smash.

AE, I have a question! I have some ideas for some stories/novels and I am sitting here not knowing what viewpoint to use, how to start, or when I do start, I can't see how I can convey what I see in my head through writing. I feel like the only way I can do this is through film or visual novels. My mind thinks like the way a movie plays and closely related to visual novels. Am I just visually oriented? I mean, I'm not saying I can't write simple stories now and then, but I tend to get imaginative/creative and my stories get overly complex and I can't convey those images through writing.
I always think that thinking visually about a story that you're writing is always better, as it gives you a more clear view on how exactly everything looks, sounds, and the atmosphere of it. You just want to make sure that you don't just focus on the speech and characters; that's something a lot of people do, and it ends up feeling more like a script.
All I can say is put every detail into words pretty much, but don't be too repetitive/redundant. If you can visualise it then you'll have an easier job putting it on paper, just make sure you do so.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
AE, I have a question! I have some ideas for some stories/novels and I am sitting here not knowing what viewpoint to use, how to start
Start however you like. :D It's your story, so no one can tell you it's wrong. Try out different viewpoints--if one doesn't work, do another. The story won't be perfect on the first attempt.

or when I do start
Right now. The longer you put it off the longer you'll spend worrying about this stuff. Just find some paper and get started.

I can't see how I can convey what I see in my head through writing. I feel like the only way I can do this is through film or visual novels.
Why not both? Write it out and do storyboard/comic panels--and see which form tells the story more effectively; words can be just as effective at conveying imagery/moods as actual pictures. Writing may not turn out to be the best method in the end, but at least give it a chance.

The main thing is to just try stuff and accept mistakes as they come. I think you'll find a lot of your answers by sitting down and working.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm thinking about helping fund http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14214732/kaiju-combat-giant-monsters-awesome-fighting-onlin for the $500, which they say that you can get your own designed monster into a FUTURE TITLE. future title being a key word. (As it implies not necessarily the first they develop)

IF I got my monster in one of these titles, and people liked the design, would that be something you could put on a resume? It's design in game would be done by a different artist though. Don't know how much that matters

THIS is what I'm thinking of doing for it.
Edit:

Now those that followed my drawings may think. Hey, parts of that think look oddly familiar. That's because the thing I showed before is based on this guy. Only friendlier. This is a monster I originally designed when I was like 10 or something

Top Bottom