• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Banned Characters in Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
I think a character should only be banned if the character is game breaking. If the character being banned leads to much more match diversity and a much more interesting metagame, in other words, a much better game, than I think it can be justified.

Akuma in ST is a good example. With him not banned/soft banned, the metagame of ST consists of 'air fireball' (exaggerating of course, but y'know...). The game is, according to the 10+ years of ST play, better without him.

A lot of the times I've heard people say "Well, if we ban the top character, then the second best is now the new best; banning the top doesn't fix anything." This is not even close to logical.

Perhaps a very simple example will show my point. A game of 5 characters, A-E, exists. A is the best, and the rankings go alphabetically to E, the worst. Now, A is 10 times better than E. B, the second best, is only twice as good as E. Because A is so dominating, he is the only character that has a hope of placing well in any tournament that matters. The game, which had a cast of five, now consists of just A. The metagame is just A. All the strategies are just A.

If we ban A, the balance of the game suddenly becomes leagues better. It becomes feasible to see any of the remaining four characters in a tournament match, as the gap between best and worst has become significantly reduced. The metagame is more in-depth, as the number of match ups and strategies to now gets a significant boost. While there's still a best character, good ol' B, he's nothing like nasty A.

I think bans are only justifiable when we reach this kind of situation, where having a character unbanned only detracts from the game. And I don't think that sort of situation has any real possibility of showing up in Brawl.
This is the best explination I've heard yet and basically clears alot of stuff up. I agree 100%

Very well said.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yeah, Gnosis explained it wayyy more in depth than I did. Mine was a simple version of what he said, but I mentioned Akuma too!!! :)

I also mentioned Nekrid from soul calibur 2, who is banned in tourneys for OBVIOUS reasons.

This thread is over now, gnosis just sealed it in my opinion. I see no further reason for discussion, but do with it what ye wish. Im outta here :p

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
lurk moar for the love of all that is good!

But he's banned because he's a console exclusive character and his stats are better.

Hey, how 'bout ban space animals? My low tiers can't win because of them. WAH! D;
Necrid's console-exclusive? I thought the triad of exclusives was Link-Heihachi-Spawn, one for each console?

And yeah, Nec is pretty frigging brutal. Mainly due to the whole having fast attacks, strong attacks and a lot of long-range attacks in the same character with no penalty, a very awesome speed while still being strong, and a very low lag after most of his attacks. Basically, he's a character with almost no downsides. Also, I find it very easy to send the oponent off-ring with him, but that might be due to my rivals sucking :p

That said, I play Cassandra anyway ;)

okami473

Smash Apprentice
Whatever, i know lots of people thing Metaknight will be imba, but rly he has fast, cool-looking sword attacks. They will all probly be weak and shortranged. I also doubt he will have that much horizantal speed. Meda knight dosent rly phase me, but i will use him caus ehe looks cool.

o yeah, if u want an unbalanced game try playing DotA. wikipedia it.
EDIT: and if you wana play a game unfair for strait people try DOA:EBVB 2

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
Oh don't get me started...

How do you think DotA is unbalanced? The only character I can think of off the top of my head that takes relatively no skill to play and will completely destroy late game is Naix (Lifestealer).

Although I've heard Puck (Phase Dragon or whatever) is pretty unfair. To be expected though for a new hero.

But back on topic, uh, yeah. Gnosis pretty much just destroyed any possible conversation or rebuttal. Good show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom