• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible fighters block?

Imp

Smash Apprentice
I've played the smash series since it first came out on the 64, and I've realized something. No matter how much I play, I can only get to a certain skill level on every character; and no further.

Now, this wouldn't be to bad if that skill level was a little better, but I would only consider myself a good casual. An example of my problem: Me and a friend have been playing brawl since it came out against each other. Due to my prior knowledge of the game, it was rather easy for me to be better then him from the get-go. I have improved since the game came out, but yesterday I noticed my friend that I've been dominating for the last week has turned the tables.

Is there any way to get around this invisible wall I seem to be stuck at? Perhaps it's because I keep doing the same thing expecting a different result, but how do you fix that?

Regards,
Imp

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. " - Einstein

The answer to your problem is simple: just experiment and try new things. You will find new areas. Gaming is like golf, no matter how good you are there is always something wrong.

D

Deleted member

that problem you are having is what makes the tier list so real

ArchangelRaziel

Smash Cadet
You seem to be experiencing something I myself did a while ago... It's hard to improve unless you can find people who are able to give you new ways to improve. What seems to be happening is that your friend is learning how you play, and is changing how he plays accordingly, whereas you aren't learning to further your own game to counteract his progress...

Imp

Smash Apprentice
Well, its not completely a landslide for him, we just go back and forth now. My problem is theres nobody in my area thats that much better then me to improve against. My main problem is aerials, but I never can seem to apply them to the game. The people I play stick to the ground so usually I just get usmashed/utilted when I make an aerial attempt.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. " - Einstein
Yeah thats what I was thinking about when I made this post :p.

Thanks for the help though!

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
Well, its not completely a landslide for him, we just go back and forth now. My problem is theres nobody in my area thats that much better then me to improve against. My main problem is aerials, but I never can seem to apply them to the game. The people I play stick to the ground so usually I just get usmashed/utilted when I make an aerial attempt.

Yeah thats what I was thinking about when I made this post :p.

Thanks for the help though!
nah, you can get better, you just have to change what you are doing, and as a result your friend will change. i can't really tell you how you should approach cuz i don't know what character you are using, but if all your friend does is stay planted on the ground, try projectiles and throws.

Imp

Smash Apprentice
Trying to main diddy, probably wont work though because I can't get him down to well. I'm good with Wolf/Fox/Falco and usually use them in a serious fight. Otherwise I'll use Link, Dedede (who I suck with but he's so fun!), PT, Pikachu, DK, Bowser, and the rest I barely use.

Mama

Smash Ace
Trying to main diddy, probably wont work though because I can't get him down to well. I'm good with Wolf/Fox/Falco and usually use them in a serious fight. Otherwise I'll use Link, Dedede (who I suck with but he's so fun!), PT, Pikachu, DK, Bowser, and the rest I barely use.
I'd say because you can't get Diddy down you should pick him up. He'll probably wind up being exactly what you need to break out of your slump. Learn the Diddy tactics and current play styles and you're bound to step your game up a few notches. Because he's so different you wont fall back into your old ways as often as the characters you're used to. After a while, you'll be able to think clearer when you play and choose what you want to do more often than acting on instinct.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
There are a few reasons for the, to quote previous posters, "slump".

1) It's almost impossible to get better when you win. On the other hand, unless you're a moron you'll get better almost all the time when you lose. Thus, your friend was vastly improving while you weren't improving in any recongnizable way.

2) It's ALL about mindgames. If a player who played melee's Bowser went up against a Sheik of similar tech skill, but the bowser totally outmatched the Sheik in mindgames, the Bowser would win (look at gimpy). If you do the same thing over and over, you have no mindgames.

Top Bottom