• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possible Fox tactics?

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I was trying to think of some Fox tactics/techniques the other day and I came up with a few. They will need testing, of course, which is something that I can't do, but they seem practical:

Short hop "reverse" laser - You can't do a true reverse neutral B anymore, but I had an idea to remedy this. You can run, crouch cancel, shine, turn around in the shine, short hop, and shoot. I'm not sure if you can still turn around in the shine but I don't see a reason as to why it wouldn't be there if it was in Melee. I think the shine will stop your momentum for the most part but this is still far from useless, 'cause I don't see another option when running away except one that involves pivoting, and you'll probably be past your chance to dash dance by the time you'll want to consider shooting your laser.

Pivot'd up tilt - It would be pretty hard to do an up tilt out of a dash dance in Melee, but with the addition of the C-stick's new functions, this is now possible. First, you dash, then turn around and hit up on the C-stick at the same time which causes Fox to do an up tilt since you are holding a direction now. You are also turned around now, and as we all know, Fox's up-tilt hits behind him.

Drill kick to grab/jab or continuous AAA combo (against a shield) - This is probably the most impractical sounding right now but basically, the idea is that from an l-canceled drill kick you might be able to do a few things against a shield since your landing lag isn't much at all. You might be able to go in for a grab or if there isn't enough time just jab, and in that case, you might as well go for the full combo, or maybe just to the second one to see if they rolled away yet or if they got damaged trying to grab or whatever. I think the opponent will have some difficulty predicting when the time to grab is right, since the drill kick is multi hitting and a mistimed button press could mean getting hit by the drill and potentially combo'd.

Criticism and thoughts of all kind welcome.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
We can't know till it is released but if it works that would be great.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
the new tactics need to revolve around the new nature of his moves, (you are doing that already) for example, the F aerial has a use now, the only thing I can think of off the top of head is an unorthodox edgeguard:

Step 1: knock opponent far enough off the edge to force them to use recovery move.
Step 2: After opponent performs 2nd jump, and before a recovery move is implemented, intercept with F aerial and drag them down and away from the stage.
Step 3: perform 2nd jump and recover immediately while opponent attempts a futile recovery.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
The reason I said it was the most impractical one was because Gimpy says there is hardly any shield stun, but it's almost counterbalanced by the fact that your opponent might not want to grab you immediately, as I said in the first post.

I'm almost 100% sure that the Pivot'd up tilt will work though.

smashvillain18

Smash Cadet
I was trying to think of some Fox tactics/techniques the other day and I came up with a few. They will need testing, of course, which is something that I can't do, but they seem practical:

Short hop "reverse" laser - You can't do a true reverse neutral B anymore, but I had an idea to remedy this. You can run, crouch cancel, shine, turn around in the shine, short hop, and shoot. I'm not sure if you can still turn around in the shine but I don't see a reason as to why it wouldn't be there if it was in Melee. I think the shine will stop your momentum for the most part but this is still far from useless, 'cause I don't see another option when running away except one that involves pivoting, and you'll probably be past your chance to dash dance by the time you'll want to consider shooting your laser.

Pivot'd up tilt - It would be pretty hard to do an up tilt out of a dash dance in Melee, but with the addition of the C-stick's new functions, this is now possible. First, you dash, then turn around and hit up on the C-stick at the same time which causes Fox to do an up tilt since you are holding a direction now. You are also turned around now, and as we all know, Fox's up-tilt hits behind him.

Drill kick to grab/jab or continuous AAA combo (against a shield) - This is probably the most impractical sounding right now but basically, the idea is that from an l-canceled drill kick you might be able to do a few things against a shield since your landing lag isn't much at all. You might be able to go in for a grab or if there isn't enough time just jab, and in that case, you might as well go for the full combo, or maybe just to the second one to see if they rolled away yet or if they got damaged trying to grab or whatever. I think the opponent will have some difficulty predicting when the time to grab is right, since the drill kick is multi hitting and a mistimed button press could mean getting hit by the drill and potentially combo'd.

Criticism and thoughts of all kind welcome.

Well, I heard that you can lcancel, but as far as short hopping and wave dashing they are getting ride of that. Nice thread you have here. Fox is going to be a beast. I'd wasn't muchof a Fow user, but his FS looks very useful. Gonna enjoy fighting as him, as well all the characters in brawl. Who knows who's gonna show up. Hopefully, we can all find a place to trade wii codes. If you want to, please save me as a friend and leave me your wii code in a note. I'll reply with my code.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I got some too. I'm gonna kick em, and then shoot em. Then grab! And throw them off the side. Thats a good one.

:D

I'm no Fox expert but it seems like you did quite a bit of brainstorming for this.

-Onyx

Leatherface

Smash Cadet
Ok, The non-fox user's question is gonna be, "is there a counter strategy against fox?" because he was by far the best opponent SSBM had, so if you people can tell me i can beat you guys up, it would be nice :)

Banned via Administration
his playstyle is going to be very fast and "hit and run" style. he might have a few combos but fo rthe most part they won't do much. get ready for cowboy foxes raiding banks!

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... Apparently the C-stick worked like Melee did at the Whobby thing, so I'm afraid the second technique won't work now, which is a shame because I was really looking forward to using it. Hopefully you can customize the C-stick to use tilts.

Top Bottom