• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Possibly a new style of approach

RobertZombie

Smash Cadet
(sorry about the crappy english and lack of proper american smash lingo im not american >.<)

Reverse aerial short hop auto canceled uairs !!!

It was my 1st time using Ganon at a local tourney even thou he is my main (i usually use TL or Zelda)

and i came across a defensive dedede player on FD that keeps camping and throwing those "babies" at me every approach that i did he predicted (from Dash attacks, rolling even aerials).

Also the problem with Filipino local tourneys you can't "counterpick" and you have to stick to your character.

So i had to work around it i started doing reverse uairs as a desperation. and surprisingly it worked i was able to approach him without getting punished by tilts or grabs or even babies. As long as i keep my distance from him a bit only touching him with my toes. It also provided better aerial pressure and protection than normal SH canceled uairs with the same lagless result and provided great mix-up potential with reverse "thunderstorming".

Also I noticed that there was a small chance he would "Trip" after getting hit by my toes in the face while hes on the ground which you can follow up with f-smash, f-tilt, dair or even a choke.

Anyways sorry if its old. I just wanted to contribute thanks guys.

Sliq

Smash Master
I thought about doing this, but it does very little damage and makes it impossible to shield grab should they retalitate (since you are facing away).

I haven't tested this, though, so it could be good.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I thought about doing this, but it does very little damage and makes it impossible to shield grab should they retalitate (since you are facing away).

I haven't tested this, though, so it could be good.
What about reverse Up-B out of shield? I don't really know how fast it grabs compared to shield grab, but it could work maybe.

RobertZombie

Smash Cadet
i could tell you this thou it made the crowd look lolz

the damage aint that great but its a great approach and pester tactic

sliq try doing a JC side b, RAR thunderstorm or another uair out of a shield

seems slow but i just found out about this at the locals yesterday so it needs more situational testing

il be sharing this info over fellow local Ganon users to have it tested out (I know only 2 lolz).

im gonna try it out in a few friendlies later after work

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
This is pretty interesting never tried reverse u-airs as an approach I would always just go with straight u-airs or a DA or thunderstorm. Thanks for posting this.

Sliq

Smash Master
i could tell you this thou it made the crowd look lolz

the damage aint that great but its a great approach and pester tactic

sliq try doing a JC side b, RAR thunderstorm or another uair out of a shield

seems slow but i just found out about this at the locals yesterday so it needs more situational testing

il be sharing this info over fellow local Ganon users to have it tested out (I know only 2 lolz).

im gonna try it out in a few friendlies later after work
All of those options take too long. Your opponent can shield or spot dodge before they'll get hit.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
All of those options take too long. Your opponent can shield or spot dodge before they'll get hit.
i guess it all depends how you execute these options. in melee -ganons uair was a good gimp/approach(backwards uair that is). in brawl it isnt as good,
but you can still edge guard with it.

i dont know about approaches against a grounded opponent, it probably worked because your opponent was DDD, aka he was fat and easy to hit.
(a good opponent will recognize your patterns and...SHIELD the uairs)

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
It's a viable approach, but the part of the move that hits grounded opponents takes a little while to come out. Therefore smarter opponents can come in and punish with a quick move before Ganon hits them with his feet. I use it more as a retreating defensive move, and switch it up with retreating b-airs, which both snuff out most aerial advances.

If you hit them with a reverse u-air though (at the tip usually) you can get off Gerudos, DA, and occasionally f-tilt at lower percents. So its a **** good move, just not so much as an approach. It loses its effectiveness against smaller characters and players who know they can punish it when you advance with it.

I suppose if they advance after a missed reverse u-air, turnaround jab or f-tilt might be quick enough to stop them. Not sure though.

RobertZombie

Smash Cadet
after a bit of testing.....

i managed to surpise alot of people at the start when they get hit and slip :laugh:

sliq was right getting powershielded leaves you too open after that move auto cancelled or not although murder quake worked a few times (until i got predictable)

its a cool retreating option but since it kinda leaves you a bit open on startup which can be punished by fast people like marth (better than just plain running away i guess)

and kinda sucks against smaller people like lucas or meta... :ohwell:

the approach worked for a few times until i abused it :laugh:

anyways the idea is still fresh and im sure we can work something here with a few mix-ups or something.

Top Bottom