• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post-Apocalypse Texas Showdown (PATS) 2- feat. DoH, Mojo, AustinRC, Brolylegs, and more!

Noc

Smash Journeyman
On a side note, the internet at the venue is ok, but streaming might by tough on their wifi. I hear that 4G LTE coverage is pretty good there though, so if anyone has a 4G smartphone with a tethering app and plenty of data available there could be a good quality stream.
Some good info on tethering: http://www.pcworld.com/article/261928/the_ultimate_android_tethering_guide.html. To give an idea of how much data would be needed, streaming at 400-500 kbps bitrate on average (decent/good quality) uses 175-220 MB/hr. Note: I personally have not tested streaming via 4G tether.

Obsoleet

Smash Rookie
OhH hey guys, I'm thinking about doing a gift exchange during/after the tourney. Just tell me if you wish to partake and I'll add you to the list. Find me on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/0bsoleet and I'll message everybody by the 18th of who they are getting a gift for. 10$ max is preferred for the item. TEXAS HYPE!

baka4moé

Smash Champion
I don't get it

I'm like "hey here I don't wanna take your money" and you guys are like GIVE HIM MORE

Yeah I'll money-match :p
I think that's just a couple people, who want to at the very least play you in a "serious" setting. It seems a good number of houstonians are fine with you not entering lol.

edit: please record sung vs wobbles mm

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know if Tarzan/Kalo/etc are coming to this?
Tarzan usually makes it out to most tournies so I expect him to be there barring some sort of scheduling conflict or something. Kalo I'm less certain about. He just kind of shows up whenever he feels like it and I don't have his number so idk.

I think that's just a couple people, who want to at the very least play you in a "serious" setting. It seems a good number of houstonians are fine with you not entering lol.

edit: please record sung vs wobbles mm
Tell sung to let someone know when they're doing their mm so we can put them on a recording setup, we should have plenty.

D

Deleted member

any housing available for saturday night? we're about 80% sure 2-4 of us will go and id rather just drive in saturday morning since it starts late. but if it ends late id rather not drive through the night.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
any housing available for saturday night? we're about 80% sure 2-4 of us will go and id rather just drive in saturday morning since it starts late. but if it ends late id rather not drive through the night.
I think I'm housing Sung and Co. on Friday night so I can house Louisiana Crew on Saturday night. If plans change and Louisiana comes on Friday or Sung and Co. stays until Sunday, that's fine too, but some people will probably have to sleep in sleeping bags or something.

D

Deleted member

floor is fine. that's awesome man thanks so much. my number is 225-892-4778

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
OhH hey guys, I'm thinking about doing a gift exchange during/after the tourney. Just tell me if you wish to partake and I'll add you to the list. Find me on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/0bsoleet and I'll message everybody by the 18th of who they are getting a gift for. 10$ max is preferred for the item. TEXAS HYPE!
Sounds like a good idea to me, I think that would be a cool way to end the day.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
For secret santa, each participant is randomly assigned another participant to give a gift to. The giver knows who the recipitant is in advance, but the recipitant doesn't know who his "Santa" is until he recieves the gift.

For White Elephant each participant brings a wrapped present. Every participant is then assigned a number at random. Number 1 goes first and chooses any of the gifts from the pile to unwrap. Every following player has the choice to either open a new gift or steal an already opened gift from someone else. If your gift is stollen you then have the options to open a new gift or steal. A single gift may only be stollen twice over the course of the game.

Personally I would prefer White Elephant. I don't like having to personalize my gifts and WE is more fun anyway.

Obsoleet

Smash Rookie
Ya, so looks like the majority of the people want to do White Elephant gift exchange. So if you want to partake, just bring a gift.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
So we now have someone with unlimited 4G LTE that has volunteered their phone so we can have a good quality stream.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Yo, I have no clue who you are, but good luck. I hope you make it out!

Also, I need a teams partner.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
nope, but there is a tourney coming up in san antonio, and I have learned everything that I can learn on my own. so all that's left is to fight a capable human player (and not the noobs the think they're good)

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
If you're from SA you should hit up MC Clusky and other san antonio smashers and try to carpool/bus with them.

Shroony

Smash Rookie
Greetings all, first-time poster here.

This tournament really intrigues the hell out of me. Got two buddies of mine one living in Houston, and we would love to attend.

Here's my question:

"If we can't wave dash worth a damn, will we get our ***** handed to us?"

Grinin

Smash Journeyman

This tournament really intrigues the hell out of me. Got two buddies of mine one living in Houston, and we would love to attend.

Here's my question:

I'm not going to lie... yes. BUT you should all definitely come anyways! The melee community is actually really friendly and open to new players, despite the fact that we all act like ****s to each other lol. Show up, enter in the tournament and see how you guys stack up and don't be afraid to sit down for some friendlies and talk to people. Everyone is really nice in person and won't hesitate to play some matches and give advice. I promise you guys will all get better and learn more about the game in one day at a good tournament than in months of dumping on CPUs.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman

Here's my question:

Grinin pretty much said it all. You guys will get your ***** handed to you, but you will get so much out of it. In the time that I've played smash, I'd have to say that my first tournament was my favorite, just because of how my friends and I had just started playing seriously for a few months prior, practicing tech and preparing, and all this build up to our first tournament just made it that much more exciting.

Shroony

Smash Rookie
The honest truth, I love it.

Gonna practice my wave-dashing up till the 22nd. Thanks for the replies and I'll see you guys there. Look forward to meet you all.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
To be completely honest, wave dashing isn't that important (depending on your character I guess). What is important is that you work on basic character control, L-canceling, etc.. Wavedashing is a super useful tool, but as a new player you need to learn how to execute basic moves/combos and develop spacing. Anyways, I'll see you there.

:phone:

dawn001

Smash Ace
The honest truth, I love it.

Gonna practice my wave-dashing up till the 22nd. Thanks for the replies and I'll see you guys there. Look forward to meet you all.
i know this video is old but it does show u all u need to know.... watch it and apply them into your metagame.... welcome to the Houston smash scene bro....enjoy..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE#

:phone:

RedGamer

Smash Ace
on a silver platter with extra decorations and a side of advice! :chuckle:

Edit: realising that they say the world's gonna end on the 21st, but this tourney took a s*** on that idea and says "f*** you, mayans!"

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I could go if this was sunday :(
:c
Damn, that sucks, that would have been awesome if you could make it out. I wanted to keep it as far away from Christmas as possible, but I didn't want it to be during school, so I picked the day after my last final. How long are you in town? Maybe we could get a smashfest going the next day.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing you get in late on the 22nd? Well that's a bummer, let me know the next time you'll be in Texas and I'll set up a tournament for then.

WizzJones

Smash Cadet

Here's my question:

yea same here man haven't played melee in years but i def want to stop by and give it a go
sounds fun ive been to a brawl tourney and it was cool just the fact that everyone used metaknight kinda killed it for me but anyways ill try to stop by for this no doubt

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
yea same here man haven't played melee in years but i def want to stop by and give it a go
sounds fun ive been to a brawl tourney and it was cool just the fact that everyone used metaknight kinda killed it for me but anyways ill try to stop by for this no doubt
Hope you can make it!

+1 full setup

looks like Bear is taking me to this before I move back to Pittsburgh :D
Nice! I'm glad you can make it before you move.

Top Bottom