• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post-Rock

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
The first time that I ever heard a post-rock band was entirely by accident. I remember it well because it was one of the best concerts I've been to. When Smashing Pumpkins reformed I fanatically bought tickets the very moment they went on sale. I was so excited that I was going to get to see Billy Corgan do what he does best (besides boss people around). Anyway, on the way to the show I ate some special brownies, and a couple other things of that sort that I can't mention in this part of the forum, but, let me tell you, I was feeling very very good. Somehow I safely made my way to the venue, which was an awesome orchestra-suited concert hall.
The opening band was called Explosions In The Sky and I had never heard of them before, but by this time I was in the twilight zone and thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and sit down before I did anything stupid. Just then they started up. It was the perfect music for my mental state and lulled me to waving depths that I had never achieved in listening before. I loved it, and it was nearly as awesome as the main act.

Now, about a year later, I'm obsessed with post-rock. Basically it's music made by normal rock instruments, but presented in a whole new way. Each instrument, including voice, is used as just another sound to contribute to the whole aural setting.

Some post-rock bands you guys need to check out:

Kwoon - A fantastic French band that really floored me the first time I heard
"I lived on the moon". Watch the video, you won't regret it.
Explosions In The Sky - They are really good and have some epic songs. There are no vocals in their music.
Mono - Who many believe to be the main inspiration for Explosions. This band from Tokyo is amazing. Don't pass them up!
Sigur Rós - My favorite post rock band. I can't get enough of these gods from Iceland. Jónsi Birgisson's bowed guitar playing and falsetto singing is indescribably ethereal. If you only have time to try one of these bands, go with this one. I have so much more praise for them, but I should just let you experience it for yourself.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I've never been able to get into post-rock. I've heard Sigur Rós praised and acclaimed many a time and tried checking them out but it's just not for me. I'd figure it would be your 'mental state' at the time but I can't speak for everybody else, so I guess I just don't pick up on post-rock's nuances. I tried to listening to some song by Explosions in the Sky, couldn't get into it. The Kwoon song was better but still did nothing for me, although the video was fantastic; reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfiqrkV_ZqI. I'd go listen to Mono but ultimately feel it would be fruitless.

But speaking of explosions in the sky, I was recently wondering what a nuke would look like if it detonated in the air, would anybody be able to answer this on the side?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I've never heard it called post-rock before (I've always just called it "ambient"). I'm familiar with Sigur Ros and Explosions In The Sky, and I do think they're both very good at what they do. I just don't feel strongly enough about this type of music to be a real fan. Once in a while, I'll be in the mood for it, but eh.

That Kwoon video was very nice. Though it's most certainly a case of the sound aiding the visual rather than the visual aiding the sound. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I'm listening to Mono now, and like the others, they really are pros at what they're doing. I'm listening to Kidnapper Bell on their myspace, and now that it's starting to pick up, I'm really diggin' it. But I think it took a little too long to get here (which I think is my main problem with most songs of this nature). I'm a relatively patient person, but I see no reason to have 3 minutes of the same, looping, atmospheric sound. I think most of these artists don't get creative enough with their pacing. It's either one, long, drifting melody or a slowly (very slowly) escalating sound that climaxes for a while before coming back down and fading out.

It's a good sound though.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
But speaking of explosions in the sky, I was recently wondering what a nuke would look like if it detonated in the air, would anybody be able to answer this on the side?
I'm pretty sure that nuclear bombs are detonated in the air above their target, but that might just have been the ones dropped on Japan during WWII.

But as for the music, it's just no my thing, but I can see why people like it.

Peek~

Smash Lord
God Is An Astronaut
Tuna Laguna
As the Poets Affirm
Austin TV
Battles
By the End of Tonight
Junius

Some of my favorite Post/Math-rock bands

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
I think I own a copy of Sigur Rós's ( ) somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. I really gave them a try a couple of years ago when that album came out, but after listening to them for awhile I never really got into them. Which is weird, because it seems like the type of music I might like. But there was just something missing in it.

Does Mogwai count as post rock? I've been digging some of their new stuff recently, but only in a super passive way. I'd hear a song playing and wonder who it was because I liked it and recognized it, and then realized it was Mogwai. And that happened a bunch of times with the same song. But post-rock has never gotten me too excited in the same way other music does. It's just a good space-filler usually.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
At first I thought you were going to call Smashing Pumpkins post-rock. Thank god I was wrong(I like SP and all, but that's not the point).

Mogwai wins this.

Can we discuss post-punk at all?

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Bugs in Amber is one of my fav post-rock artists.

Unfortunately my HD broke and I lost most of my knowledge of the genre, but you should check them out.

I've seen Explosions live and they're amazing, but I can't say the same about most of their "studio" recordings.

65daysofstatic blows them outta the water.

I sorted through some mix CDs so I have a few more I'll recommend:

pg.lost
Mouth of the Architect
This Will Destroy You
Vessels
Red Sparowes (A MUST LISTEN TO)
Bark Psychosis
The Album Leaf
The Octopus Project
Envy (I forget which album, though... the singer does guest vocals for a Mogwai song)
Maserati
Kayo Dot
Ef
Eaten By Tigers

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Battles don't really fit in with the post-rock tag when you look at the usual kind of bands that earn that tag, in my opinion.. Math rock, I would say is definitely more fitting. Although, tagging them with 'unrelenting awesomeness' is also accurate.

Mogwai for kings of post-rock. <3
Anyone know My Bloody Valentine? they came well before post-rock, but I reckon they have a bit in common with modern post-rock bands. Vocals used more like an instrument than as a mean of conveying lyrics, epic walls of sheer guitar noise. Loveless is a total masterpiece.

KMB23

Smash Journeyman
Battles don't really fit in with the post-rock tag when you look at the usual kind of bands that earn that tag, in my opinion.. Math rock, I would say is definitely more fitting. Although, tagging them with 'unrelenting awesomeness' is also accurate.

Mogwai for kings of post-rock. <3
Anyone know My Bloody Valentine? they came well before post-rock, but I reckon they have a bit in common with modern post-rock bands. Vocals used more like an instrument than as a mean of conveying lyrics, epic walls of sheer guitar noise. Loveless is a total masterpiece.
you win, because your username is my favorite mars volta song.

but seriously. i love post-rock. i like 65daysofstatic, EITS, and this will destroy you the most.

Top Bottom