• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post Sandstorm Thoughts (serious topic)

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
Westcoast streams are always hard to catch for europeans but being sick I was able to watch it late in the night. Hurray for that. I want to give you guys a quick review of y impressions.

First of all regarding the stream:

The overall stream layout was decent. I especially liked the desert themed background, went well with the tournament being held in Arizona and obviously fitted the name sandstorm.
What I dislike was that the bracket rounds were listed in a really awkward position. Below the event name and above their sponsors. That’s not really the eye-catching spot and I’m sure some people might have overlooked it completely, which probably left them clueless at which point in the bracket the participants were. Also the player cam was too small for my liking.
Quality was watchable on source (didn’t test any lower settings) however obviously not vgbc quality. Had the feeling there was a problem with deinterlacing from time to time as well, but no biggie.

A twitch chat over 3k viewers is always expected to be flat out disgusting unless you have really strict moderation. MVG had a few mess ups in the running, non of them intentional and few of them their fault, but it wasn’t a big deal at all, at least what I can say from my stream experience, since i didn’t attend the event obviously. However the fact that there are always a bunch of ignorant people hating, who also refer to the information they get from their twitter celebrities, a rumour spreads really fast. The twitch chat was flooded with "MVG sucks", "Give us GimR" etc. posts and for little reasons that were actually to be experienced from the stream viewer. The problem here I see is the domino effect. This bad reputation gets ingrained into the majority of viewers even those who had no problem with the stream at all and thus the company loses supporters. But for what reason? Because the stream lagged for a short period of time? Because the stream is so bad that it’s unwatchable? Was that even the case?

This leads me to my next point. People need to stop giving too much credit to the top professional’s opinions. Especially when they are extremely biased like Leffen’s is. How can people still support him? What has this guy ever done for the smash community? You could argue that he is a top player that contributes to the hype at tournaments. Yes I give that to you. But other than that he is extremely infantile and destructive. Watch his twitter. Between the countless johns you can only see him criticising in the most destructive and disrespectful way. He justifies that by saying that he likes to name things as they are but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Fact is he intentionally tries to put down others for whatever reason and people seriously need to stop listening to him. As well as stop accepting most top player’s opinions as a set in stone fact.

Gameplay-wise only Westballz could really impress. This time even tough so many good players attended, this tournament was no portrayal of melees beauty. But seeing Westballz insane shield pressure sure was worth the night.

Top Bottom