• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Post your Bowser tactics here (More Spam Stoppage)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok with the influx of new topics about little things you do with Bowser how about we keep them to this one thread. That way we can arrange things a little bit easier.

Keep in mind to post with thought as they will be reviewed and discussed by other bowser mainers on the board so just throwing out random things that can just be Airdodged out of is unacceptable :).

If we find something to be extremely good or important, i'll edit this original post to include all the information we Garner.

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Well one thing I do that I'm not sure about many people using is I utilize the Bowser Bomb.

I occasionally do a short hop followed by a bowser bomb or if an opponent is stupid enough to be directly below me at a relatively high damage after knocking me into the air I score some good KOs with it.

Second thing I like is the Bowsercide, I use it when I can win with it as a final blow or if I can reset the damage gauge if there is the same amount of stock and I see the opportunity.

Another thing, roll f-tilt, it works so well against quick characters, I have also found that I like to get the the grabs going with all that power Bowser has, why not utilize it in the grab game?

Fire Breathe pwns, just remember that lol.

I especially like these tactics and they certainly do work for me. I think that with the power you've got in your thumbs, just utilize it in as many ways as possible, I mean don't do anything stupid but utilize that strength.

TakDragon7

Smash Lord
Heatwave City, where air conditioners dont do jack
What I like doing is when I have them cpu's around me, I use his down A and it helps when they are coming towards ya too. It can kill them when they have some pretty good damage on them.

Whenever the cpu is in the air , I use the bowser bomb and they fall for that as well. It's weird how these cpu's are now. lolz

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Don't talk about fighting CPU's because they are extremely abusable.

Bowser bomb has way to much lag to be entirely effective imho

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I don't advise Bomb usage on any online players, not from the air, anyway.

The best time to use the bomb is when someone is up and at an angle from you and you're on the ground. Use the bomb then because it puts Bowser in the air VERY quickly and can catch them off guard.

While I have yet to test it, I believe the bomb from the ground might work particularly well against Fox/Kirby players who like to short hop and down+A into you. I've heard the Down+B has SA on startup, but I've yet to confirm it. If it works, it would likely knock your attacker into the air and bomb them.

I'd test it, but I've no reliable way to communicate to most people I play online with...sigh...

Buuman

Smash Ace
One thing I'd like to add is the good ol traditional fortress hog, just want to clarify the "way" if u will, to initiate it in this version of smash. If you're going for a fortress hog, make sure you are facing the stage, u can hold away from the stage, but that instant you're about to fall to your death, hold toward the stage, definitely much harder to do in this version, but going to get it down so I have options, if you are facing away from the stage and u go for a fortress hog, there is no way u can grab the edge. This has probably been verified but I thought I'd remention it

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I like to use the koopa claw to grab opponents mid air when they try to recover. like Ill jump off the edge, grab them, and go down. it works realy well too because it gives them a even further distance to cover when they try to save themselfs.

I also like to use the bowser bomb when I am knocked realy high into the air, it brings me back to the ground fast and can even suprise my enemies.

I sometimes use a shor hoped down air into a group of opponents if it is a free for all, sends the everywere. works effectivly against pit.

Buuman

Smash Ace
One thing that I find ****ing amazing, is infinite jumping in a sense, but after you do one immediately up air or f air at the peak of the second jump and you can cancel it with more klaws, I find it an extremely offensive approach,

my bad, and a back air and neutral air suprisingly as well xD

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
Advanced Bowser Strategy Guide
Version 1.1 (will be updated)
4/5/08

This is a guide to the SSBB character, Bowser. I will do my best to keep this guide up-to-date.

Bowser (A.K.A Koopa King)

Bowser is back for his second appearance in the SSB series since his debut in SSBM. I created this guide on the basis that Bowser is one of the most improved characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

This is an Advanced Bowser Strategy Guide. I will cover move damage, move tactics, and final smash, but not move detail. This guide is intended for players who are already familiar with the basic mechanics of the game and wish to expand further on their battle strategies. Now lets Begin!

(1) Glossary of Terms:

Frames- The animation of an attack, dash, roll, etc.

Edge Guarding- Staying at the edge of a stage and preventing the opponent from coming
back to it. This can be done through different means.

Infinite Jump- See part (3)

Super Armor- invisible frames when a character is unable to flinch when doing an attack (See the “Super Armor List” thread in the Brawl Tactical Discussion section for more information about this).

Shield Grab- Using the shield to block, then grabbing afterwards. Important for countering rush-ins and dash attacks.

Short Hop- Tapping the jump buttons quickly to perform a small jump inches above the ground.

DI- Stands for Directional Influence. When being tossed or knocked away by an attack, there are frames in which the player can influence where the character will be by using the Control Stick or C-Stick. This is done for purposes of spacing or mind games. An example of this would be Smash DI, which is done by keeping the control stick tapped in the direction you want the character to be influenced.

(2) Bowser's move list:

Standard A- 5% for each hit (10% damage total)

Strong Attacks:

Forward Tilt- 11%
Up Tilt-12%
Down Tilt- 14% first hit; 11% second hit (25% damage total)

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air- 13% average damage; 9% w/frames
Forward Air- 13%
Back Air- 15%
Up Air- 17%
Down Air- Damage varies; 2% w/last frames

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash- 33% at close range; 21% medium range; 46% charged (close range); 29% charged (medium range).

Down Smash- 21% (9% w/last frames); 29% charged (12% charged w/last frames).

Up Smash- 20% when above; 15% when in front at close range; 28% charged when above; 21% charged when in front at close range.

Special (B) Attacks:

Fire Breath- 8% when tapped ones. Damage varies depending how long button is pressed and length of time opponent stays within flames.

Koopa Claw- 18%

Whirling Fortress- 35% damage (Tested on another Bowser)

Bowser Bomb- 24% on ground w/first hit; 20% without hit (includes air version)

(3) Advanced Move Tactics:

Bowser's Fire Breath and Koopa Claw special attacks:

Bowser's Fire Breath is improved considerably from Melee because it's more difficult to escape the flames. A useful tactic is to rush in at times with short-hop Fire Breath to space opponents (spacing in really important in Smash Bros generally speaking). This can add pressure to the opponent and gives you some breathing room to think about what they're going to do next (usually, they'll jump over Bowser or escape the flames by going behind him; the later requires extremely good DI).

Bowser's forward B attack (the Koopa Claw) should be his main focus as it's key to most of his aerial games. As many of us at Smash Boards community know, this is essential for his infinite jump (for those of you guys that don't remember how to do this, do the Koopa Claw just inches above the ground when in the air, and this will open up a new jump for Bowser. Do the Koopa Claw move near the ground again and keep mid-air jumping. This is essentially his infinite jump.

Aerial attacks and Edge Guarding:

Bowser has a variety of useful aerial attacks at his disposal. Up air has good priority since it comes out pretty fast, it's powerful, pressures opponents, and it's great for vertical KOs. His neutral air attack is useful for dash-ins and can be used for aerial confrontations. Back air comes out fast and helps for edge guarding (To do this, hang on the edge, let go of it, midair jump, and perform the back air attack). Forward air has excellent priority at the edge, comes out fast, and can also be used as part of his mid-stage game when rushing in.

Down air can act as a surprise tactic when landing and can give you some breathing room since the last frames of this move can prevent a counter-attack. When near the edge, down smash works as an anti-rolling recovery tactic. Forward smash can work, as it now comes out faster than it did in Melee. Forward tilt (the jab) is also helpful near the edge since its quick and tends to cancel out some of the opponents anti-edge guarding attacks. Down tilt is insane for close-quarter edge guarding and is probably the most used tilt attack for this purpose.

Mid and close-range game:

Bowser has many attacks and techniques that he can utilize for his mid and close-range game. The standard attack is essential for close-quarter confrontations and the knock back helps for spacing. Forward tilt comes out fast as previously mentioned and can be utilized for anti-dash-in purposes. The same can be said for this down tilt; except that it has a bit more range than the former. Up tilt acts as a pretty good anti-air move and the knock back of this attack can lead to juggling possibilities.

Down smash is good when the opponent is rolling behind you. Forward smash can be used for purposes of mind games at mid-range since Bowser leans back to perform the attack. This can put the opponent in a false sense of security since this move appears to have a slow release; but in reality, this move comes out faster than most people think. His up smash serves the same purpose as his up tilt, except that it comes out faster and deals more damage.

Whirling Fortress and Bowser Bomb:

The Whirling Fortress lost priority in Brawl for two reasons: First, the attack doesn't cover the same distant it did in Melee. The increased distance-coverage of this attack led to edge guarding possibilities at mid-range. Second, the move lost the power it had in Melee, since it was possible to vertical KO characters at high percentages. Nevertheless, the move still can be used for edge guarding, albeit not as well as in Melee.

The Bowser Bomb is heavily improved from Melee. The attack comes out much faster now and can be used as a surprise tactic in the air. A new addition to this special attack is the trapping effect that is evident when performed on the ground at close-range. With the addition of Super Armor to this move, it can become very deadly at close-quarters, especially if the opponent doesn't see it coming.

Advanced tactics and countering:

Bowser's improvements, such as increased speed in attacks and reduced lag in moves, pave the way for many strategies. When playing a mid-stage game and grabbing an opponent, (either through shield grabbing or dash grabbing) vertical tossing can lead to juggling possibilities. Shield grabbing is a vital aspect to Bowser's game as well because he isn't pushed back by many attacks when he's shielding. This is attributed to his massive weight /size. Sometimes, the opponent might play a prediction game against Bowser.

There are three ways to go around this:

• The first one is to wait for the opponent to finish performing an attack, then dashing in and grabbing them.

• The second one is to wait for an opening, dash behind them, and grab. This is important when the opponent is trying to anticipate you rolling behind them or when you are pressured in a corner.

• The third and possibly safest strategy is to jump over their attacks. Your opponent will be used to you short-hopping, so this can be used as a surprise maneuver.

Copyright 2008. Bowser and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are registered marks of Nintendo/GameFreak/Hall Laboratory. No part of this guide may be reproduced without the consent of the author.

Please email me at ymorel87@gmail.com if you have any questions conserning this guide.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
The only really notable strat i've found with bowser is if someone is recoverying. Run to the ledge, start up neutral B, and aim it strait down. If they are going to get back, you may as well help them while racking up % while you are at it. Also flame as characters are on the ledge can sometimes be beneficial

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
Why would you use F-smash to guard an edge. Thats just asking to get punished.
I covered the part that said the move comes out quicker than people think. I also remember saying that it "can" be used for edge guarding; meaning I never said you "should" use it.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Well, i love the infinite jump for approaching at certain times. It actually works wonders as a mind game, and you can do any aerial out of it. His dash attack is also good every now and then when someone isn't expecting it. Bowsercide of course, but only occasionally, if only to level the playing field.

And oh yea...U-air=awesome.

**EDIT...also, fsmash is viable as an edge guard in brawl. It comes out extremely quick and takes people by suprise. However I'd definitely go with his flames still...

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I'd just angle his F-tilt off the edge cause it reaches out forever, and like doesn't take timing.

F-smash isn't viable with autostick sweetspot.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
Using the down smash as an anti air rush.

This might not be such a good idea, since if it misses, you're done for. But generally, when the opponent is at high percentages and can be KO'd, and at the same time the opponent is air rushing you, using the down smash can sometimes get the kill.

Of course, the general safe way to counter aerial rush is always shield and up-B imo.

phate

Smash Apprentice
One thing I have found effective is using my f-air (purposely missing) and DI'ing back with it to the point that i turn around when I hit the ground. When my opponent comes rushing in, I up-tilt and get them from behind me.

Top Bottom