• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Posture

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
I don't think i've ever seen a thread relating to posture

Would you guys say that sitting posture is important when playing?

i usually hunch over and do well, but once in a blue moon ill sit with my knees up and do crazy **** i didnt expect
posture be crazy son

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
its possible there is a "superior" way to sit while playing a video game but I'd assume the position you are most comfortable in is what you should be doing

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
^

pretty much this

real talk I always sit on the floor, sit like L, or mix in between leaning back and in when playing, depending on the seating arrangements.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
One of Australia's best Melee player played a finals of a national a year ago with one hand under one of his knees. And won the last match via time out.

He's so seriously laid back when he plays.

_Rated D.R.K_

Smash Apprentice
I agree Blacknight as well. Playing while sitting upright helps me to stay focused . However, Playing in a relaxed position allows me to do stupid combos lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
well, people are kinda posting what they are most comfortable playing with

i personally like my shirt over my face and i concentrate best when i'm leaning forward elbows on knees

but the "best" posture is obviously sitting up straight lol

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Lay down ussually. Either on my front with my torso weight supported on my shoulders, or on my back with my head on a pillow.

Sideways is ewwwwwwwwwww

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I stand up when playing, hop alil from side to side when i'm hype, sit down when I die straight after i kill somebody, but this only goes for at mhome. In tourneys i just stand

Jem.

Smash Master
I sit a little forward, I feel like I can't try as hard if I'm sitting back.

I think "composure" would be a great discussion too. You can see it on peoples faces when they want to win so badly, when they've given up, when frustration happens, etc.

OverLade

Smash Hero
^I agree with Jem. One of the most satisfying feelings is sitting down to play someone who's leaning back, ****** them, and watching their entire demeanor change. They lean forward, tense their arms, and focus on the screen. It's no coincidence that people just do this naturally.

If I'm leaning back while playing someone it's because I believe I can beat them easily (leaning forward allows you to excert more mental effort by fixating your visual box (or something)).

OverLade

Smash Hero
Its never too late to start. I've never invited someone to a tourney who said they didn't like it!

OverLade

Smash Hero
I had parent johns for over a year after brawl came out. During this period I was still one of the best players in Florida, but had no way to prove myself. Luckily I had the fact that I won my 3rd tournament (beating FLs best players) as a justification to let me keep going to tourneys, but you just gotta work with them.

I'd be a liar if Parent johns still dont affect my ability to go to tourneys (Im 19) but you should introduce them to people who can take you to tourneys (this can be daunting if your parents are foreigners etc but its the best way to try). If they feel comfortable with who you're with when you're at tourneys than that's the first step.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm going to see if I can find some people to go with me. I'm a pretty bad player though so I can't really use that to help. There is an anime con I'm going to next month that has a Brawl tourney though, I'm probably gonna enter that.

Thanks Red ^__^

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I sit a little forward, I feel like I can't try as hard if I'm sitting back.

I think "composure" would be a great discussion too. You can see it on peoples faces when they want to win so badly, when they've given up, when frustration happens, etc.
They call me the flytrap because my mouth is always wide open when I concentrate in a match.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
sometimes I kick my feet up and play when im just playing friendlies
otherwise i just sit up straight and play with my arms on my legs or whatever, posture completely straight and watching my opponent's character with the rest of the match/stage/ME being taken in through my periphials.
Lets me get reads like none other :)

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how I sit, I think it varies based on chair etc... BUT I do sit further away from the TV than most, I think. Everyone sits so damn close, but I can never see the whole screen like that... or it's harder to focus on %s, so I sliiiide back and get a good view of the WHOLE picture :)

Orko

Smash Apprentice
I go from sitting up straight to hunched over very frequently, so I basically do ab crunches. :p It all depends on where I'm placed and how much pressure I'm under.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Different posture might emphasis different playstyles.

Its hard to say, but when I like, stretch out and chill I do the stupidest things offensively, but fall for the dumbest things.

When im on my knees though I play more defensively.

Top Bottom