• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Oh I'm sorry? Did Plank stick his neck out for the community and try to make a really awesome that everyone will remember and have a good time at for no reason? So you're saying TOs shouldn't try and make tournaments very large and just play it safe. Plank had every reason to believe P5 was going to be big. It just so happens that it wasn't.

But your'e right. Most people would not have tried the same thing. Most people wouldn't take the risk to try and serve their community something better than what we're used to.
This guy. Plank was an idiot for running taking the risks he did, and you're an idiot to believe that he couldn't run a big tournament without under taking the risks that he did. Tourneys like Apex and Genesis were ran without the TOs burdening themselves with the risk that Plank did. It's Plank's own fault for being such an idiot and he doesn't have a right to use the community's money to cover up his mistakes.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Alright cool. Plank is an idiot TO. In fact, he is worst TO ever for making such bad decisions. TOs should never try and out do themselves and their previous tournaments by taking risks to make the experience better. Lets just let this community die a slow painful death.

You win. I'm done posting.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Plank man, fair play to you for posting.

That took balls.

I really really hope the community understands what is happening to you right now as well as them.

All the best man, you're gonna need it. :(

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
Plank should have at least tell about the risks of the tournaments in the thread beforehand. Like that there might not be prize money at all and stuff. I think he gave the wrong picture to people, when he didn't clearly say that in the thread before hand. He should have made clear to everyone, where the prize money comes, like if there are x amount of entrants, prize money is this and stuff. And the most important, is he should have made it clear there might be no prize money at all if not enough entrants.

I think he owes to pay them back, little by little, but still.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
What you aren't understanding is plank took this risk for the good of the community and to provide you guys with an opportunity for a really nice venue and tournament and good time OUT OF HIS OWN VOLITION. Plank did it for the love of the game never planned to make a profit (no TO does) and what you aren't understanding is that if no one does that and takes the risks than no tournaments will happen and the community will die. It was a necessary "evil".

How you can not see just shows me your ignorance or stupidity. Plank obviously is a great planner as he has run many successful events before this. So what you are saying is people should only host national tournaments if they can plan better than plank? That leaves it up to .02% of the community to run tournaments left. How are we suppose to keep having national tournaments with that small of a pool of people left to run them? And then those people are going to be worried about if they mess up or turnout isn't as expected they either have to go into deep debt or get sued or arrested? Cmon open your eyes a little.

i never said he hadn planned **** well in the past so how bout u learn to read @sshole. what im saying is that because he planned **** well in the past the fact that he made such a grave error is uncharacteristic to say the least. the mistakes he made, like not counting for cancelations etc were the things he needed to account for and didn this time. and as long as TOs never touch the pot they have no worries about being sued.

Pi

Smash Hero
Plank planned for more people to show & get rooms, they did not

A tournament fee is a fee to enter a tournament.
I paid 10$ to enter a local, and the winners got a gift card, or a free meal ticket. Should I sue because it explicitly states that I should receive a return of the actual money I put in? No.

Plank did exactly what any one of you would have done in the same situation, he paid off the things that needed to be paid off immediately. The hotel actually had a case against him if he failed/refused to pay. There was no garantee'd prize money.

If you're trying to sit there and tell me that if you were to owe a company, in which you signed a contract requiring you to pay, thousands of dollars, and it was a choice between doing that or not doing that and paying out 'prizes' to winners of an event you hosted you would take the hit from the Hotel/company?

Bull ****.

Plank ****ed up with this event, he spent beyond his means, and he took a hit for it. But if you go into any event like this and expect 100% to get paid without signing any sort of contract, or understanding exactly how funds were being distributed then you are a child and need to grow up. Don't spend beyond YOUR means unless you are certain you can cover them.

That is a mistake both the players who are hurting from not receiving money, and plank, have made.

Learn from your mistakes and move on. Ya'll acting like plank isn't hurting from this, you really want to put the man in thousands of dollars worth of debt? Or in jail? Put that stain on his record because someone didn't get a prize from winning a video game tournament? After all he's done for this community?

Ya'll are disgusting.

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet
Did you guys even read his post? Jeez. Plank is 100% justified in everything he said in it. I support you 100% plank thank you for hosting such an amazing event I know how hard it is just to run locals and I can't even imagine how some one could have the drive to do what you did 5 times.. truly incredible thanks for your contributions to our community. I'm sorry I bugged you for the setup discount now.. at the time I had no idea that this was on your shoulders or I wouldn't have bothered you about it. Good luck.

Edit : All you people saying he needs to be brought to justice and be sued and all that are just really dumb. Thats just going to discourage anyone in the future from ever wanting to TO national tournaments again. Don't you realize that TO's do this AS CHARITY WORK!? They don't even expect to make a profit they do this all for the love of the game if you try to sue or put people in jail as soon as it doesn't workout perfectly no one is ever going to host again and you won't even have opportunities to make money off of smash tournaments. Wake up.

Edit # 2 : What good would suing some one with no money do anyway? Your not gonna get money from some one who doesn't have any + it just hurts the community so what good comes of it? Think a little instead of just raging.
Best response in this thread.

I for one understand where Plank is coming from.

I believe everyone needs to understand one thing. Attending was a choice, it was not mandatory. It was not mandated, nobody held a gun to anyone's head and said "You better ****ing go to this or i'm going to cut your balls off and shove them down your throat." I honestly believe that people, who in some retrospect can be angry but at the same time just want a way to vent their fustration.

I'll give you an example. Armada's plight.

He was not forced to come, people made a way for him to get there. He expected to do well and win some money, understandable. HOWEVER, he made future plans for something that wasn't solid by borrowing more money to pay for a trip to Genesis. Now he is out money and owes people. Does Armada have the right to be mad, yea, but i'm not seeing such a drastic difference in Planks situation and Armadas as far as similarities. Yet no one is holding Armada responsible for his actions, but everyone is holding Plank on a cross for his.

This is stupid, a lot of people are in honesty are not open minded or just not willing to understand the situation past their own narrow minded view. It really is depressing to know that some of the community, which i had high respect for can stoop as low as some people are.

Again, this doesn't apply to everyone, but tho those who are just flat out being ignorant about the entire situation and are only looking at it from one view. When in the begining, it was your choice to attend. It's not like he made off with the money, he just made sure he concluded buissness with the venue first.

I'm actually going to just venture off and say why don't we cancel all nationals for the sake of not letting this happen again. Keeps everyone satisfied right?

CY

Smash Ace
Alright cool. Plank is an idiot TO. In fact, he is worst TO ever for making such bad decisions. TOs should never try and out do themselves and their previous tournaments by taking risks to make the experience better. Lets just let this community die a slow painful death.

You win. I'm done posting.
rofl I love how you act like what plank did is perfectly fine. He is an idiot for this event and his decisions were HORRIBLE. He chose to run this event with no money, with no back up plans, with only a hope and a prayer that the event goes perfectly. It has nothing to do with outdoing previous tournaments if he can't ****ing back it up. yeah, I'm going to run this really cool event guys, but basically you're just paying to have a really big international smashfest with no prize money. Plank was extremely irresponsible and he deserves all the flak he is getting and he better pay off the earned winnings of the players.

edit: and did plank even let people know that there was a possibility of no prizes? that majority of your money would go to paying off the hotel? probably not I'm assuming. so yeah keep on praising plank with his horrible decision making.

DJRome

Smash Hero
just lol laijin

here is what selfish means:
"concerned chiefly or only with yourself and your advantage to the exclusion of others"

what plank did was selfish, not us expecting payouts.

if he pays everyone their prizes, 1 person is in debt. instead, 22 people are in debt.

how is that not selfish on plank's part again?

again, u seem to be confusing urself. u say ur not defending his actions but in fact u are. u say that he has the right to refuse to payout anything in this situation. but you completely ignore the fact that at EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT, the venue fee and the entry fees are separate. in fact, that is why they are distinctly paid and listed

just because everyone else would have done it doesn't mean it's right. so you say if ur in debt u would steal? sorry, but that's in fact not true. don't speak for everyone else

also, eggm, ur a ******. im glad $mike gonna make u feel it. who cares if it is possible to have that "good time" that plank provided?

if i walk into a restaurant, ask for food, pay for food, and they turn around and say, "sorry, resources low. no food. no refund. go away, we're closing" i would say, "hey, this is plank's 5 pound of chicken bucket of horse**** restaurant right here"

we all understand risk. if u chose to take it, that is ur decision. but don't steal from others if it doesn't work out

all you mother****ers who think it's okay since we decided to attend deserve to die. seriously. society doesn't want ******* like you. if i decide to go outside and someone shoots me, is it my fault? if i go to a restaurant and they undercook my food, is it my fault? holy **** u smashers are ********. i really want to punch u through this screen right now

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Basically Plank knew there was a possiblity this could happen and didn't say anything to anyone before hand, I'm pretty sure no one would have travelled if they knew this could happen. So in short without people there wouldn't have been a tournament, so basically what Plank did was steal people money and give it all to the hotel. Hope you guys enjoyed giving that hotel free money rofl.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
In spite of all this.

Let not Curse plank, LETS HELP HIM!

Everyone! Tomorrow! Call the hotel and tell them to refund Plank for the rooms!

We know that he stole, but if we help him, there might be a pot after all. This is an injustice!

I might sound a bit silly here, but, did you see all those charges?

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Best response in this thread.

I for one understand where Plank is coming from.

I believe everyone needs to understand one thing. Attending was a choice, it was not mandatory. It was not mandated, nobody held a gun to anyone's head and said "You better ****ing go to this or i'm going to cut your balls off and shove them down your throat." I honestly believe that people, who in some retrospect can be angry but at the same time just want a way to vent their fustration.

I'll give you an example. Armada's plight.

He was not forced to come, people made a way for him to get there. He expected to do well and win some money, understandable. HOWEVER, he made future plans for something that wasn't solid by borrowing more money to pay for a trip to Genesis. Now he is out money and owes people. Does Armada have the right to be mad, yea, but i'm not seeing such a drastic difference in Planks situation and Armadas as far as similarities. Yet no one is holding Armada responsible for his actions, but everyone is holding Plank on a cross for his.

This is stupid, a lot of people are in honesty are not open minded or just not willing to understand the situation past their own narrow minded view. It really is depressing to know that some of the community, which i had high respect for can stoop as low as some people are.

Again, this doesn't apply to everyone, but tho those who are just flat out being ignorant about the entire situation and are only looking at it from one view. When in the begining, it was your choice to attend. It's not like he made off with the money, he just made sure he concluded buissness with the venue first.

I'm actually going to just venture off and say why don't we cancel all nationals for the sake of not letting this happen again. Keeps everyone satisfied right?

ok lets be real here, Armada is da **** at smash. when he comes here he places in the money. id have bet all kinds of money he would place in the money at p5. its really not that dumb to assume ud be getting some money from p5. also if im not mistaken he only borrowed the money after p5 since he assumed he was bout to get money from getting 2nd in singles and first in teams. and if u try to say that isnt a valid assumption then u sir can go eat a d!ck.

so their are clearly differences between planks situation and armadas

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet
just lol laijin

here is what selfish means:
"concerned chiefly or only with yourself and your advantage to the exclusion of others"

what plank did was selfish, not us expecting payouts.

if he pays everyone their prizes, 1 person is in debt. instead, 22 people are in debt.
That, right there, was funny.

Everyone made the choice to attend man, what about everyone who didn't even make it out of pools, should he have to pay them back their money too?

Sure he made a choice to go all out, but then people made a choice to go. I don't get it, i just don't understand how he's being selfish and most others are not. When in fact, those who are expecting these payouts are being even more selfish if they didn't even help or understand that he needs to cover the costs of the whole operation.

BigWenz.

You Sir, are a *******.

So because he is good at smash, it's ok for Armada to **** up. But not Plank, who was trying to set up a great tournament? It's called favortism, which is what you are clearly portraying.

Check yourself before you address me son.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
You Plank ***-kissers make me sick.

I bet if it was a Brawl TO that hosted a Melee tournament and ****ed up like this you guys wouldn't be all "Hey, let's thank him for hosting a well-ran tournament"

I didn't know stealing the pot money gets you praised nowadays.

Pi

Smash Hero
'22 people in debt'

Lol. Re-open that tab you dictionary.com'd selfish on and search 'debt'

You Plank ***-kissers make me sick.

I bet if it was a Brawl TO that hosted a Melee tournament and ****ed up like this you guys wouldn't be all "Hey, let's thank him for hosting a well-ran tournament"

I didn't know stealing the pot money gets you praised nowadays.
This was a brawl and melee event, and there you go with your assumptions again. Are you trying to imply that you brawlers would be singing a different tune if this was hosted by a well known and respected brawl TO? Don't even bring that **** up, there's already a big enough pile.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
hmm

I still think it should have been outlined that if something along these lines were to happen, something could happen to the prize money before hand. And possibly set up a contingency plan, if at all possible, in case said bad thing happened. This should have all been clearly outlined in the opening post of the tourney thread so everyone is on the same level of understanding. I bet you if he had that in his opening post none of this would be going down right now.

I'm not sure if anyone actually cares that he paid the hotel instead of the smashers, because alot of people would do that in this particular scenario, youre right. What they DO care about, is that he was placed in that situation in the first place.

Taking a small risk may be ok, such as if you have to finish the tourney at a different location cause your risked it finishing before having to pay for another day for the venue or something, but taking such a huge financial risk that if your risk is wrong literally no one gets paid? That kind of risk is just not smart or responsible, i dont care how big the TO is trying to make it.

and dont mind laijin he's just trolling cause he didnt win any money. Put him in armada or ally's shoes and I bet he'd be one of the other salty people who didnt get paid.

also, lol @ people trying to bring up melee players vs brawl players in this dispute? Real sign of staying on point in the argument there guys... Im pretty sure hungrybox is the 2nd saltiest mofo in this entire state right now.

Plank has planned great stuff in the past, and if he planned such a huge financial risk from the beginning WITHOUT WARNING ANYONE FIRST WHEN HES CLEARLY COMMENTED THAT HE KNEW ABOUT IT BEFORE THE TOURNEY STARTED, then you'll find it hard for alot of people to honestly feel bad for him.

For the record, i always believed him when he said he didnt have the money. I didnt think he pocketed it. I believe his entire story, but that doesnt make it right

CY

Smash Ace

Everyone made the choice to attend man, what about everyone who didn't even make it out of pools, should he have to pay them back their money too?
what's funny is your argument. it's a competition for money, who exactly should the people who didn't make it out of pools get money back?

good argument, kid.

7 years

Smash Rookie
I think i'm understanding a bit of what's going on. If this situation is purely because of those hotels getting ready to **** Plank with debt if he does not pay (and as a spur of the moment, Plank uses money from the tournament to pay), then I suggest future TO's to not mess with hotels ever again unless they clearly know what they are doing/getting into and are ready to face consequences should something like this arise.

BigWenz

Smash Ace

Sure he made a choice to go all out, but then people made a choice to go. I don't get it, i just don't understand how he's being selfish and most others are not. When in fact, those who are expecting these payouts are being even more selfish if they didn't even help or understand that he needs to cover the costs of the whole operation.

BigWenz.

You Sir, are a *******.

So because he is good at smash, it's ok for Armada to **** up. But not Plank, who was trying to set up a great tournament?

hey monkey learn to read. from what i gathered armada borrowed money after p5 was over. so ur saying that he shouldn assume hes about to get paid when every other tournament hes been at he got paid when he placed in the money. GTFO with dat bull****. dumb***

ANTi_

Smash Hero
'22 people in debt'

Lol. Re-open that tab you dictionary.com'd selfish on and search 'debt'

This was a brawl and melee event, and there you go with your assumptions again. Are you trying to imply that you brawlers would be singing a different tune if this was hosted by a well known and respected brawl TO? Don't even bring that **** up, there's already a big enough pile.
Plank is known Melee host...

Let's say if... Keitaro ****ed up like this, All the melee heads would bash the **** out of him.

Don't even deny that because all of you know its true.

DJRome

Smash Hero
people expect when they lose, they get nothing.

just like when people win, they expect winnings. in fact, even losers expect winners to get winnings.

so again, i will rehash since u plank supporters don't get it. why should everyone carry the risk for plank?

in fact, im going to ask everyone here to invest in some stocks. i will not invest anything. if we gain, we'll split the earnings. if they go belly up, no big deal. i didn't invest **** anyways

the fact that he provided the opportunity to "make money" for the winners is irrelevant. for obvious reasons

BigWenz.

You Sir, are a *******.

So because he is good at smash, it's ok for Armada to **** up. But not Plank, who was trying to set up a great tournament? It's called favortism, which is what you are clearly portraying.

Tesh

Smash Hero
In spite of all this.

Let not Curse plank, LETS HELP HIM!

Everyone! Tomorrow! Call the hotel and tell them to refund Plank for the rooms!

We know that he stole, but if we help him, there might be a pot after all. This is an injustice!

I might sound a bit silly here, but, did you see all those charges?
He made a deal with them and didn't hold up his end. Unless he doesn't know how to read, the hotel did no wrong here. Plank should have his *** kicked for this response. The community didn't tell him to overspend and overextend his resources. He may have done it with good intentions, but that doesn't mean everyone he may have been trying to help is now accountable for his error. He promised prizes, he collected money for prizes, and he kept the money to fix his own mistake to serve himself. If you want to take these risks, you need to be upfront with everyone beforehand. I guarantee that people would not have traveled to this tournament if he had warned of the risks of no payment.

As far as the money being for the "event", its a tournament. The EVENT people were all headed to was a tournament with prizes. People didn't travel across the country/ocean to just hang out and lose a bunch of money. They went to your EVENT with the expectation of it being a TOURNAMENT WITH CASH PRIZES.

What else can be said, I hope Plank gets what is coming to him. For those that say Brawl players are immature for wanting their money, would you say its immature to punish criminals? Because Plank is a thief.

Life

Smash Hero
Cool heads will prevail here.

Plank got screwed over here, far worse than you guys--the guy owes random people from across the country thousands of dollars. Srsly. Calm down and give him time. If he delays forever in repaying people, THEN you'll have a right to be angry, but for now, stay cool about it.

At the same time though, don't let him totally off the hook either. He still owes you all. You just act like rage can solve the problem, when that totally is not the case.
I'm with this guy. :awesome:

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
Arguing is kinda pointless. Let's let the small court to decide whether plank is guilty or not. In the end, Justice will win. And the best part is, we don't have to argue, nor decide whether plank did right or wrong. If Plank and others feel he didn't do anything wrong, then I'm 100% sure Plank doesn't fear at all if this goes to court. If he is innocent, why worry, right?

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet
hey monkey learn to read. from what i gathered armada borrowed money after p5 was over. so ur saying that he shouldn assume hes about to get paid when every other tournament hes been at he got paid when he placed in the money. GTFO with dat bull****. dumb***
Look, again. Did he have the money BEFORE he made these plans?

Apparently not.

Again, check yourself. You're being stupid, immature and you apparently can't type worth a damn. Reading your posts gives me cancer of the eye.

You would do better to find a good solution, than ***** more about something you can't do much about.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Wow what?
Are you trolling or are you just confused/********?
I mean if you trolling, I'd just lol.
But if you're serious...then wow.
The king of moronic posting coming at me now.

Look at the post i made just now ^^^ tell me im not right.

DJRome

Smash Hero
again, who the **** cares about the reputation of the community. 10k is owed u a89f298nh2398vba9pw8b3vaw9p8bvawp98ejafcs

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Look, again. Did he have the money BEFORE he made these plans?

Apparently not.

Again, check yourself. You're being stupid, immature and you apparently can't type worth a damn. Reading your posts gives me cancer of the eye.

You would do better to find a good solution, than ***** more about something you can't do much about.
if im giving u cancer than thats fine by me. and u clearly are a moron for thinking that armada assuming he was going to get money THAT HE F**KING EARNED is wrong.

Pi

Smash Hero
if im giving u cancer than thats fine by me. and u clearly are a moron for thinking that armada assuming he was going to get money THAT HE F**KING EARNED is wrong.
Armada is in financial troubles right now because he spent money that he did not have.
He bought his G2 ticket before getting paid from plank, if he had waited, things would have been fine.

I am not saying this to be mean, or to imply that armada is a bad/stupid person, he is a person, he made mistakes and now he's in trouble for it. The same goes for plank.

I have sympathy for both Plank & Armada, and all the winners to an extent, but this does not meant that plank is the only person to blame here.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i don't see why people are saying he should have used his own money, when he clearly stated that he didn't have the money necessary to cover the costs, and dipped into what he had to.

This is just more proof that the melee community sucks. I have never met or spoken to Plank, but he is an amazing person, honest and everybody giving him **** has no business being part of this community.

Shenanigans

Smash Cadet
Assuming from the get go, is wrong. He did well, and he is a great player, there is no disputing that. However, you shouldn't make huge decisions off of assumptions (this goes for plank and Armada).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom