• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Power Shielding

UnicornTears

Smash Rookie
Power shielding is when Player A shields at the exact moment that Player B's hit box comes in contact with Player A's body. A "bink" sound is heard and Player A has complete control of the situation. He can easily punish Player B for power shielding removes recovery frames that normal shielding offers.

Let's face it, power shielding in brawl is too easy. The benefits of power shielding are overwhelming and the application of what can be done after power shielding is extremely important to how fast you can punish another character.

Power shielding removes the frames that make you lose time when you lower your shield. It enables you to quickly punish your opponent if they are within range, etc.

Power shielding multiple hits is like blocking in SF. It could open up a window of opportunity for a completely blocked Snake AAA combo or Snake's F-Tilt.

Power shielding is a high risk tactic. If you shield too early, you don't hear the "bink" and there is no power shield. This is a better case scenario than if you shield too late. Shielding too late causes your character to be hit by the move you were trying to shield. With practice, players can shield perfectly and punish players that have had all their moves power shielded.

Power shielding can also come in handy when approaching projectile spammers like Falco or Pit. It allows players to almost continually approach their opponents with only a split second of break time for power shielding arrows or lasers. It may be hard to determine the proper time to power shield, but with practice it should become half as easy as normal shielding.

VENOIYI

Smash Rookie
if u could find or make a video to show everyone i think the point your trying to make would be more usefull.

UnicornTears

Smash Rookie
everyone knows what power shielding is, i just wanted to bring it up to see what others think of it. Is it more important than spot dodging?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd say it's more important than spot dodging actually. Besides grabbing, basic(smash and regular)attacks are the only realistic thing people use to kill. If you can ps any attack, you'd be practically unstoppable. That is... if you could anticipate grabs and spotdodge when neccesary too.

AzSvFeZ

Smash Lord
everyone knows what power shielding is, i just wanted to bring it up to see what others think of it. Is it more important than spot dodging?
I think its more important than spot dodging, if you ps you completely screw over the other player for enough time to counter, but this is a little more difficult to master...

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Why are people so pissed about different strageties being applied? This is brawl, not Melee.

I find power shielding more useful, but hey, to each his own.

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
When you can power-shield perfectly, you are almost untouchable, and yes it has become even easier, but no one will be able to PS everything perfectly, thus the game will go on.

My remedy to PS'ing is the air. :D

Phoenix Reborn

Smash Cadet
Power Shielding is almost akin to the Parrying System in Street Fighter III. I haven't perfect shielded consistently enough to tell whether or not you can continuously do it, but mastering it and perfecting your reflexes will make you a deadly Brawler. I think PS'ing is amazing for attacks that you can see coming, but I personally try to Spot-Dodge attacks that I'm uncertain about because I'm not as confident in my PS timing as others.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
In almost every case you don't even need to perfect shield things. The shield drop lag is naturally so low in Brawl that in almost every case you can shield normally and punish anything. Of course it never hurts to get that extra bit of time but it's probably not going to make or break you.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
If you have equated PSing with Parrying from SFIII and you know anything about Daigo, a SF legend, then you know that Daigo could probably PS everything: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pS5peqApgUA

guy above me said that in Brawl, normal shielding lag is pretty low. True. But PSing is better against projectiles, and you can easily punish aerials that autocancel with PS if your reflexes are on point like that.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Is this some kind of Joke?

I'll give you the truth and it also comes with why Brawl is flawed.

Normal Shielding is the same as Parrying in 3rd Strike - you can wow, so easily counter attack already.

Perfect Shield is more like Red Parry, which for those that don't know, simply was faster (but required different condition).

Who needs perfect shielding when normal shielding is enough to counter so many attacks? Brawl would be 1000 times better if the current Perfect Shielding was actually what the NORMAL shielding is.. while shielding normally would be much less effective.

UnicornTears

Smash Rookie
Who needs perfect shielding when normal shielding is enough to counter so many attacks?
Playing against a character with moves that are hard to punish like metaknight might require people to take advantage of power shielding. Even though lowering your shield might be fast, power shielding would be faster and allow for you to punish before they can attack again or shield your attack.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
I don't even feel capable of fighting my friend's Wolf unless I powershield, b/c otherwise the the neutral B "gayzer" and his uberjab and uber Fsmash will get me every game.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Is this some kind of Joke?

I'll give you the truth and it also comes with why Brawl is flawed.

Normal Shielding is the same as Parrying in 3rd Strike - you can wow, so easily counter attack already.

Perfect Shield is more like Red Parry, which for those that don't know, simply was faster (but required different condition).

Who needs perfect shielding when normal shielding is enough to counter so many attacks? Brawl would be 1000 times better if the current Perfect Shielding was actually what the NORMAL shielding is.. while shielding normally would be much less effective.
You haven't played enough Brawl. Perfect shielding allows you to a)stay stationary, and b) make an INSTANT counter attack. Simply shielding is (very often) not enough. You will get knocked back too far to make meaningful strikes and there is (in Brawl terms) a significant amount of lag on your part while doing this.

UnicornTears

Smash Rookie
You will get knocked back too far to make meaningful strikes and there is (in Brawl terms) a significant amount of lag on your part while doing this.
It's true, just shielding will move your character back a significant distance. This can put you out of range of a tilt or AAA combo. Power shielding does not move your character. It keeps you stationary to make an easy tilt, AAA combo, or quick smash attack.

Top Bottom