• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

unknown522

Some guy
Your problem is probably the speed of your lasers. Try shooting as fast as possible when you jump.

For me, either control stick to jump + B, or clawing Y+B are best for me in terms of speed. I normally just slide Y -> B

:phone:

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Any tips on getting falcos dub lasers low? Mine suck *** I really wanna do it with x and not tgs control stick way. Please don't make me use control stick ;/

Try Y, to B and practice it for a while. I never use Y for anything, except for lhdl, because you can slide pretty EZ from y to B without risking hitting anything else

Also PP, you didn't look happy at all playing Falco last weekend. Serious question, do you still enjoy playing this character?

Also, how many of you guys did I end up playing at apex? I remember playing like 100 foxes but only like 4 Falco players lol

Edit: and thorn, I hope you name search cuz I hella wanna team with you at whatever tournament we're both at next lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
Any tips on getting falcos dub lasers low? Mine suck *** I really wanna do it with x and not tgs control stick way. Please don't make me use control stick ;/
LHDL height is determined by two factors:
1. How low you drop before jumping, and
2. How soon after jumping your laser.

Most people can't do low lasers that well because they do #2 too slowly.
I would just learn Y to B and rejoice with your vastly superior button.

Try Y, to B and practice it for a while. I never use Y for anything, except for lhdl, because you can slide pretty EZ from y to B without risking hitting anything else

Also PP, you didn't look happy at all playing Falco last weekend. Serious question, do you still enjoy playing this character?

Also, how many of you guys did I end up playing at apex? I remember playing like 100 foxes but only like 4 Falco players lol

Edit: and thorn, I hope you name search cuz I hella wanna team with you at whatever tournament we're both at next lol
We played, but I have to be honest, I lost a lot of respect when I realized you were just another noob scared of FoD. lol jk GGs

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
One of the reasons I hate up throwing peach (ESPECIALLY on dreamland) is that it's a pretty serious commitment to try to cover top platform. Can be pretty unsafe if she's saving her recovery tools. Now, maybe you were completely fine with her getting top platform and were just really playing for her to come down off the platform (I don't really remember) but idk, I can't play that patiently LOL.

I would have liked to have seen some bthrow maybe. Basically gives the height an up throw would have given you if she were 50-70% lower, which means she's not high enough to drift wherever she pleases expending no recovery tools in the process. If she wants top platform, she has to expend SOMETHING to get there. No clue how much it would have really helped tho.
Getting on the top platform and falling through with Uair or just Utilt'ing or even WD'ing/WL'ing off the top platform and (DJ) aerial'ing still covers Peach's top platform escapes really well. This is especially true because Marth can use the extended platform length to move and control Peach well.

Bthrow sometimes can lead to Bair so that's cool but I'm not sure if it would really do much difference since AR likes getting to a lower height before floating anyway. Good food for thought in terms of how low I want his floating options and floating over options.

PP- what is your favorite MU?

Falco- vs Fox

Marth- vs Fox or dittos I haven't decided

Yeah but I didn't at Apex. I don't wanna explain it lol but Falco is awesome.

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
PP- My favorite MUs:
Falco- Peach or Fox
Marth- vs Samus, ICs or dittos
Fox- Peach or Puff
Shiek- Ganondorf!!!!! :ganonmelee:
(I almost always JV 5 stock lvl 9 Ganondorf with Shiek)

JPenJr71121

Smash Rookie
2 questions:
Is Falco's dthrow-->shine escapable even if buffered?

And now something more MU specific: How do I deal with G&W's dash attack? It seems like shielding it gets me jabbed when I drop the shield. rolling forward (away) gets me dtilted or faired. and jumping gets me a bair. I need options.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Dthrow -> anything is really unreliable. They can tech in place, tech roll in either direction, or even just DI the lasers out of range at higher percents.

Just shield grab or dair OoS vs. G&W's dash attack. It's really laggy.

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
2 questions:
Is Falco's dthrow-->shine escapable even if buffered?

And now something more MU specific: How do I deal with G&W's dash attack? It seems like shielding it gets me jabbed when I drop the shield. rolling forward (away) gets me dtilted or faired. and jumping gets me a bair. I need options.
Dthrow to shine can be teched, but I believe it might be guaranteed on Fox.

JPenJr71121

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help. What's the best way to punnish a missed tech? (Or you play with people who refuse to see the benefit to teching LOL)

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
Seems to me like PP was just tired of losing to that b*tch peach. Don't worry, we'll get her.

Falco>>
Everyone has a least favorite MU, my least favorite is the ditto, because what I do can be done against me.

I believe Falco has a slight advantage against Peach (+1), while ICs are the closest (0/even).

G

genkaku

:falcomelee: Falco has a mediocre tech chase, really (low dash speed).

falco's dash speed is sufficient and his SHFFL is great. Also you can cover things that you can't quite reach with lasers.
stop spreading misinformation, voltz

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
And now something more MU specific: How do I deal with G&W's dash attack? It seems like shielding it gets me jabbed when I drop the shield.
shine out of shield

Dthrow to shine can be teched, but I believe it might be guaranteed on Fox.

definitely not guaranteed. Pretty sure Fox has a guaranteed shine on you actually LOL

while ICs are the closest (0/even).
why do you think that

falco's dash speed is sufficient and his SHFFL is great. Also you can cover things that you can't quite reach with lasers.
stop spreading misinformation, voltz
Yeah, falco definitely 0wns people on knock down. He might not be fox or falcon but he's still fast and has fast launching moves that can cover a wide distance, has lasers for things that are a little too far, and even if you're a little late and they put up their shield, you p00p on shields anyway

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
shine out of shield

definitely not guaranteed. Pretty sure Fox has a guaranteed shine on you actually LOL

why do you think that

Yeah, falco definitely 0wns people on knock down. He might not be fox or falcon but he's still fast and has fast launching moves that can cover a wide distance, has lasers for things that are a little too far, and even if you're a little late and they put up their shield, you p00p on shields anyway
Falco vs ICs is like that on the MU chart, and I agree. Nana is easy to kill.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
considering he still cites his games vs lvl 9 computers, i dont think that's a question he's prepared to answer...juuust sayin <_<

Nintendo 64

Smash Rookie
Some question about Falco

If i grab my opponent with a low percent, what should i do?
What's the best form of aproaching?
If i get dsmash by peach, what's the best di?

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
If i grab my opponent with a low percent, what should i do?
What's the best form of aproaching?
It depends on the character. However, with most characters, I'd up throw. It allows for a follow up with a dair/bair/nair at lower percents. I fthrow at higher percents because if they tech in place or behind you, you can usually make a read and get an fsmash punish.

There is no best form of approaching, but at any time, usually your best approach option is the safest yet most unexpected approach option. The downfall of most Falcos is predictability.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
If you're getting dsmashed by Peach, just DI down. It's the fastest way to end the game so you're no longer playing Falco vs. Peach in 2013.
Please don't purport your opinions of MUs to people who have legitimate questions about this game as if it's set in stone. It gives them the wrong idea.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I talk to him too much these days. I wouldn't be surprised if that post reminded you of him.

Bones0

Smash Legend
1. I was joking (at least half-joking).
2. I specified 2013, which I think should imply that the matchup just looks grim at this point in the metagame. It's always so difficult to imagine things ever changing from the status quo, but they always seem to. Strangely enough, a major flaw in human prediction is that we tend to predict the future to be much more similar to the present than it actually tends to be.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Falco does fine vs Peach I just scrubbed out at Apex.

He's faster than her and has an amazing projectile plus a good way to dodge her floats and reset the situation(falling/platform lasers.)

You just can't AC Bair or be stupid ever but Peach can be stupid sometimes. Falco is expected to control neutral more in the matchup and if you can't do that then don't play Falco in the matchup lol.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well it seemed like you had to play so airtight it's freaking ridiculous, one touch from Peach vs Falco and it can be hell for you. With Marth, he can at least escape those kinds of guaranteed setups so you'll play the neutral game a lot more and can easily do so because Marth's speed is fast and he has great range.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It does look grim, I agree. And yeah, after posting, I kind of thought about it being a joke. :\

oliman

Smash Journeyman
vs. peach isn't terrible. you play a character with 0 matchups that are stacked against you. stop acting like its impossible

Top Bottom