• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

unknown522

Some guy
I wish so hard. I'm a single working man, if I had a dog I would feel constantly guilty about leaving it home alone all the time and I can't do that. Once I have a more stable situation, I will be acquiring a corgi puppy asap.
corgi puppies all day!

or a cross-breed of corgi + 'X' (where 'X' is something like a Lab, collie, etc)

Don't worry about it. I'm biased. I also don't think I've seen the first or third ones, just the second one. So I can be changed.
you have to go watch IKM 2.

I think I'mma go watch it right now

Bones0

Smash Legend
Bones0, if you have him in the shield and you're close enough, you know he's going to FH out so why not just try to get the grab? Also maybe move away and laser? I dunno, If I knew that exact situation I could probably give a better idea :S
I was referring to situations when he is too far to SHFFL, so grab certainly wouldn't work. I grab all the time when they are close enough though.

Oh yeah, I forgot, but if you're pretty sure he's gonna full jump AT you with a dair or nair (which you can probably confirm on reaction actually), just utilt him out of it lol
I always trade with utilts. :c
Will try and see what I come up with because I feel like this should work... I might just be utilting too late or something.

Okay so im fighting a decent ganon and im approaching right? i SHL and move towards him and he is trying to powershield the lasers. So i grab him, then what would be the best throw? Up to dair? what do you guys think? thanks in advance:awesome:
Ideally you should try to land on top of him with the last laser (or if he is actually GOOD at powershielding, empty hop). That way, even if he's shielding, you can link right into shine shield pressure. I don't like grabbing Ganon much, but when I do I usually fthrow him off stage to edge guard or uthrowing to force him to land on a platform which can give you a shine-waveland opportunity.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
if you're gonna throw ganon, throw us up, but don't try to follow it directly. we will uair instantly, and you will probably look foolish. uthrow us for the bad position, and then hit us later because we're afraid of being above you (ie, shine us after the uair we will probably do and make us look foolish instead)

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
Ideally you should try to land on top of him with the last laser (or if he is actually GOOD at powershielding, empty hop). That way, even if he's shielding, you can link right into shine shield pressure. I don't like grabbing Ganon much, but when I do I usually fthrow him off stage to edge guard or uthrowing to force him to land on a platform which can give you a shine-waveland opportunity.
Thanks Bones0, i appreciate it!:awesome:

Armada

Smash Lord
Lightsyde: "Kevin had a very convincing (and epic) Pound 5 win over Armada and has been sick (to some degree) at the last two nationals; this is not a john"

It's true that he has been sick but the important thing to remember is if that excuse work the same way for every person. How many was takeing anything away anything from PPs victory against Hbox at Pound V when he was REALLY sick? It maybe was a few but clearly not as many that use this excuse for PP or people johning about Mango not being on point/in shape. Did this people took away anything from SS victory against me or Hbox when he ***** me at Apex (tbh I would not have a chance against Hbox anyway and me change char next time prove that even more). I think you understand my point. Yeah being sick sucks but A LOT of factors sucks but you have to deal with everything as good as you can.

"I think a lot of people who are still unconvinced about Armada being the best are waiting for a tournament where he doesn't SD twice a match or a tournament where he's been really playing and seems to be at his best. This day may never come though, so who knows"

When is the waiting enough? 1 more national or maybe even 5? The thing you and many other have to realize is that both players playing their absolutly best and still people that have now seen their favorite lose admit that will not happen is many cases. People only admit Mango playing really good if he wins by a good margin (if they are Mango fanboys) but this can we use against everyone cause playing on point and look like you are much better is a combination of one player on point and one playing a bit worse (or being a worse player). So in this case me/Hbox can't win cause we have not that many fanboys. It's about time that people in this community man up and give people credit instead of trying to find excuses why someone would/should/could won.

I know I have been useing myself a lot in this post but it only is cause I know the true story from myself you know. Many people didn't even noticed that I was sick at Pound IV or Apex 2010 and Im not trying to use that as a excuse AT ALL. I lost both of this tournaments cause I was worse then my opponents in those sets and from those matches I learned a lot and improved more. Another important thing to remember is that everyone online don't know the truth about Mango/me/PP exc. If we lose we were a bit behind and need to practice more it is THAT simple so stop use arguments around it and if you lose you should lose

Veetaak: Yeah I agree that playing against them twice a year sucks BUT it seems weird to use that as a excuse right now cause that did not happend after Genesis 1 for example (not saying you have changed your opinion just pointing out this to try to give something to people so they understand more easily).

Last thing I have to say is that I did NOT wrote this post so many people can give me cred cause that's not what this post was about and I don't actually care if people think Im the best or not. Im writeing this post to people that have hard to belive in theirselfs and doubt their abillity (this can be in any situation in life) cause I know many people think way to much about what other people think and a lot of those johns could doing the situation even worse for those people. No one can change everyones opinion and that's why the only opinion that truley matters is your own. That's why I came back to USA so many times cause in my opinion I could prove so much more and tbh I don't think it matters how many times anyone win cause haters still gonna hate.

PP: Your are awesome looking forward to play against you again

People that doubt on their own abillity don't cause haters gonna hate no matter what

Well I have been saying enough now :p

Battlecow

Play to Win
Armada: You're absolutely right, but you should realize that almost everyone agrees with you and has stopped johning for mango/PP. Whether we're rooting for you or not, 95% of smashboards acknowledges that you're the champ, even if we hope that changes at the next national.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Armada: I agree with the points you are making and I completely appreciate the frustration. I guess if anything, I'm more prone to sight Kevin's sickness because he's from my state so I've seen him play A LOT and it's very obvious to me when he's not playing up to par.

I say this in comparison to where I've only gotten to see you at a handful of nationals and videos so it's difficult for me (and likely a lot of other American players) to gauge when you aren't playing up to par. I was actually unaware that you were sick at either of those tournaments. The fact that most people can't tell as readily is a testament to what you're talking about is required of a top level player.

And it is hard to say when or if that scenario that I had mentioned will ever happen. Because the top players get to play each other SO rarely, we are forced to observe situational factors and try to discern how much of a difference they made. It's not fair to you (or Hbox or whoever) that it happens and I made a point to say that part of it might even be my spacies bias. I'm sure it's very frustrating to arrive to a tournament and have to play Mango and him not having practiced and it somehow invalidating your win before it ever comes.

And like I was saying before, "who is the best?" may be a question for speculation if we're waiting for ideal circumstances. Mogwai is correct when he says that you are the person to beat right now if you want to be considered the best though.

leffen

Smash Champion
Anyone who can honestly say right now that "Armada isn't the best" is plainly just WRONG.

However, that is not to say that you cannot say that "I believe Mango/PP/Hbox have a chance of winning next time they face because A, B and C".
The fact still stands that Armada has not only beat the other players in the "top 4" (ar/mango/pp/hbox) TWICE in a set after losing to them, but he has 3-0'd them all once during either of the last 2 tournaments in the US he attended.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Anyone who can honestly say right now that "Armada isn't the best" is plainly just WRONG.

However, that is not to say that you cannot say that "I believe Mango/PP/Hbox have a chance of winning next time they face because A, B and C".
The fact still stands that Armada has not only beat the other players in the "top 4" (ar/mango/pp/hbox) TWICE in a set after losing to them, but he has 3-0'd them all once during either of the last 2 tournaments in the US he attended.
he hasn't ever 3-0'd pp iirc

but you're point still stands imo

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I got a question can you just laser before you go to the platform.

Because i dont want to get off the platform too oftent.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I got a question can you just laser before you go to the platform.

Because i dont want to get off the platform too oftent.
no. it's considered a best practice to not just laser before you go to the platform.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
You wouldn't pay as much attention if the opponent is overly predictable to the point of you not having to guess where they are going to tech/DI. In this instance you would probably focus more on how you would maximize punishment during the combo. In a sense I guess you are paying attention to their habits, but I definitely wouldn't think that it would take as much effort as reading someone who mixes up their DI and techs frequently.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i remember at genesis 2, zoler told me armada assumed he had like no fan boys, or hardly any, and didn't think he would get cheered on by anybody in grand finals

im sure he changed his mind after people picked him up and chanted his name

but he still thinks he doesnt have 'that many fanboys'?!

are you crazy armada?! you are considered the best in the world by MANY, you are the most ridiculous peach known to man

how can you 'have not that many fanboys'?!?!?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Ok then i was just curios
wait no PLEASE don't take me seriously.

your question was worded such that i don't actually know what you meant, which i thought was funny, so I made a joking reply to it.

please rephrase your question more explicitly so that I (or someone smarter than I) can give you a real answer.

Composeur

Smash Ace
Alexander, stop trolling. He needs to know that it's bads to go to the place when shooting laser.

Armada

Smash Lord
t3h Icy: Okay that's true but I put it in a comparison with Mango and then I falls a bit short :p

trahh: I guess I jused the wrong words. I know I have a lot of fanboys. And it makes me proud that people like my work. And on stage after Genesis 2 finals was maybe the best moment of my life and a lot of fanboys was a REALLY huge part of that.

When I said "not many fanboys" I was more talking about if we compare me/Mango for example. Like I said I have many but Mango has way more.

But yeah I have a lot of fans and I appreciate every single one of them <3

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i remember at genesis 2, zoler told me armada assumed he had like no fan boys, or hardly any, and didn't think he would get cheered on by anybody in grand finals

im sure he changed his mind after people picked him up and chanted his name

but he still thinks he doesnt have 'that many fanboys'?!

are you crazy armada?! you are considered the best in the world by MANY, you are the most ridiculous peach known to man

how can you 'have not that many fanboys'?!?!?
Armada plays like the biggest ***** *** ***** in the world. It confuses me how he has fans to begin with.

More power to him, though. Even if I hate how he plays, I can't disrespect the Guy.

:phone:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
f***

You get Fox to shield and you know he's going to FH OoS before you can initiate shield pressure. What are some good ways of shutting that down?
Spacing closer to him so you can punish his jump. Alternatively, you could space slightly farther away and FH yourself and intercept Fox's FH and punish him. You could also DJ double laser into him or onto a side/top platform(depending on your timing and his timing and stage and positioning, etc) if you wanted to be snazzy and set up pressure/combos that way.

Lightsyde: "Kevin had a very convincing (and epic) Pound 5 win over Armada and has been sick (to some degree) at the last two nationals; this is not a john"

It's true that he has been sick but the important thing to remember is if that excuse work the same way for every person. How many was takeing anything away anything from PPs victory against Hbox at Pound V when he was REALLY sick? It maybe was a few but clearly not as many that use this excuse for PP or people johning about Mango not being on point/in shape. Did this people took away anything from SS victory against me or Hbox when he ***** me at Apex (tbh I would not have a chance against Hbox anyway and me change char next time prove that even more). I think you understand my point. Yeah being sick sucks but A LOT of factors sucks but you have to deal with everything as good as you can.

"I think a lot of people who are still unconvinced about Armada being the best are waiting for a tournament where he doesn't SD twice a match or a tournament where he's been really playing and seems to be at his best. This day may never come though, so who knows"

When is the waiting enough? 1 more national or maybe even 5? The thing you and many other have to realize is that both players playing their absolutly best and still people that have now seen their favorite lose admit that will not happen is many cases. People only admit Mango playing really good if he wins by a good margin (if they are Mango fanboys) but this can we use against everyone cause playing on point and look like you are much better is a combination of one player on point and one playing a bit worse (or being a worse player). So in this case me/Hbox can't win cause we have not that many fanboys. It's about time that people in this community man up and give people credit instead of trying to find excuses why someone would/should/could won.

I know I have been useing myself a lot in this post but it only is cause I know the true story from myself you know. Many people didn't even noticed that I was sick at Pound IV or Apex 2010 and Im not trying to use that as a excuse AT ALL. I lost both of this tournaments cause I was worse then my opponents in those sets and from those matches I learned a lot and improved more. Another important thing to remember is that everyone online don't know the truth about Mango/me/PP exc. If we lose we were a bit behind and need to practice more it is THAT simple so stop use arguments around it and if you lose you should lose

Veetaak: Yeah I agree that playing against them twice a year sucks BUT it seems weird to use that as a excuse right now cause that did not happend after Genesis 1 for example (not saying you have changed your opinion just pointing out this to try to give something to people so they understand more easily).

Last thing I have to say is that I did NOT wrote this post so many people can give me cred cause that's not what this post was about and I don't actually care if people think Im the best or not. Im writeing this post to people that have hard to belive in theirselfs and doubt their abillity (this can be in any situation in life) cause I know many people think way to much about what other people think and a lot of those johns could doing the situation even worse for those people. No one can change everyones opinion and that's why the only opinion that truley matters is your own. That's why I came back to USA so many times cause in my opinion I could prove so much more and tbh I don't think it matters how many times anyone win cause haters still gonna hate.

PP: Your are awesome looking forward to play against you again

People that doubt on their own abillity don't cause haters gonna hate no matter what

Well I have been saying enough now :p
k

PP, do you take DI and tech habits into account when you're comboing? If so, how so? If not, why not? If it's a mix of the two, then explain please.
Well as people have already responded to you, I always take those things into account when comboing haha. I do this either by manipulating their DI on my own through spacing(closer means I won't be running and also might smash while farther means I will be running or spacing a smash or tilt) or through timing(someone may hit the tech button too early and I can super delay my dair to make them miss it and continue comboing) or through move conditioning(I usually Nair so they DI out to avoid being spiked, but this time I Dair to Dsmash so they get ***** for DI'ing out and get caught by surprise). Platforms, stage positioning, percent, stage control and current location, matchup, player, who is winning the game/set, everything could really be abused when forcing someone to DI or tech a certain way in combos.

I also remember what they do and try to cover that option next time if I didn't get it at first lol, but that's obvious.

t3h Icy: Okay that's true but I put it in a comparison with Mango and then I falls a bit short :p

trahh: I guess I jused the wrong words. I know I have a lot of fanboys. And it makes me proud that people like my work. And on stage after Genesis 2 finals was maybe the best moment of my life and a lot of fanboys was a REALLY huge part of that.

When I said "not many fanboys" I was more talking about if we compare me/Mango for example. Like I said I have many but Mango has way more.

But yeah I have a lot of fans and I appreciate every single one of them <3
ima start charging you rent rofl

SO FALCO GUYS

F***

One of Falco's weaknesses that isn't commonly discussed is that Falco doesn't have much protection from attacks directly above him. This is because his uptilt only tends to cover one side of him and doesn't really avoid all trades, and his Uair has a similar problem except it's slower to come out and the first hit is completely SDI'able. So, what are some ways this weakness can be attacked, and in what ways can this weakness be minimized/used to our advantage?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's his weakness?? Normally every character this is above another one is pretty bad to begin with. You can probably just dair them anyways lol.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
lol, PP so serious.

but regarding Falco's weakness from above... uhhh, I dunno man, a lot of characters would ****ing kill to have Falco's utilt for defensive purposes. I know that it trades with some ****, but most of them are slow and come from characters where you need to be asking yourself what you're doing that's allowing Captain Falcon/Ganon/Link to get enough free time above you to get a dair out by the time it needs to be out to trade with your utilt. I think usmash is underutilized for defensive forward and above hits, but it is laggier, so you need to be sure you're going to catch people with it as opposed to utilt that you can just kinda throw out there in a lot of situations.

Niko45

Smash Master
I'd say the answer is camp under a platform in all seriousness.

More situationally obviously CC, utilt, uair, anticipating and jump shining before they get the move out.

Most characters suck at attacking from above so this helps.

But you know all this PP you're just trying to get back on topic lol

Top Bottom