• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's WaveSurfing

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
I looked at this awhile back and it puzzled me as im a falco player and my wave dashes dont look this smooth and fluent. ALSO the distance PPMD gets on his wave dashes is ridiculous. I heard it was called a wavesurf but i cant find any tutorials on it can someone please tell me how to do this or link me to a tutorial

Around 2:20

Around 1:51

PLS HALP ME OUT

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashes can be different lengths. To make them longer you want the angle of your stick to be as close to horizontal as possible without actually being horizontal. Also wavelands can be even longer than wavedashes if done perfectly, and they are done with a perfectly horizontal angled air dodge as you land on the ground.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashes can be different lengths. To make them longer you want the angle of your stick to be as close to horizontal as possible without actually being horizontal. Also wavelands can be even longer than wavedashes if done perfectly, and they are done with a perfectly horizontal angled air dodge as you land on the ground.

I understand that however it seems as if he gets way more distance than any wavedash falco could ever have. Ive heard that he dashes before hand or something to lengthen the wavedash. but that doesnt explain how he easily switches direction and seems to have no problems wave dashing and dash dancing, what seems to be, at the same time.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
Yeah alternating dash animation with wavedashes is called wavesurfing. It's where Falco runs forward in his dash but then you wavedash to make him go super quick and/or allow you to react to things on like a really quick, constant check - up basis. You should go Dash -> Wavedash -> D-> WD etc.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Everyone can do that dash-wavedash thing. People who play chars with super high traction like Link and Ganon get good at it because it's the only way they can make their WD mean anything. I've never heard of it being called wavesurfing.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
Everyone can do that dash-wavedash thing. People who play chars with super high traction like Link and Ganon get good at it because it's the only way they can make their WD mean anything. I've never heard of it being called wavesurfing.
I can't seem to find the original video i heard about it in, but here's one that mentions it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH8FYFUDJhY

SHÈ

Smash Rookie
I think PPMD masters this part of the game (Fluid movement) better than any other player by far. Especially his marth

Top Bottom