• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Preferred Stage Movement

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
As I'm learning to incorporate Dance Trotting into my WFT play, I wanted to know what everyone thinks about their preferred method of stage mobility/attack options. Basically, what's your neutral game?

Dance Trotting
Perfect Pivot Setups
Short Hop Air Dodge
Sliding Pivots
Run Turn Around Cancel
SH Header Cancel
Header Feint Setups
SH Sun Salutation Cancels into anything
Empty Hops
Run up Shield
Etc.

Personally, I keep a zoning heavy playstyle, so I generally do a lot of SH SS Cancels across the stage into more SS cancels as I jump around my opponent to make them shield, and then immediately grab them to put myself in the advantage state. Or I'll just stop charging and empty hop and/or purposely charge backwards so that the opponent thinks that they can approach, then cancel directly into a Bair or whatever aerial hits their angle. It's pretty effective against rushdown characters.

What about you guys? Feel free to mention any movement options/setups I left out.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Walking and Crawling.
Both of which were left out.

I think Rtacc is the funnest way to move and the best tool we have against spacing, but it's also really scary and puts opponents on edge which can make reads difficult.

Walking and crawling is so basic you can almost see players trying to figure out what you're going to do next, but the difference in her movement here and her burst options means they either won't be able to react in time or will try to stop you before hand giving you things to hard punish.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I play depending on the opponents character and their playstyle, namely the playstyle, if they try to space me out, I'll counter by shooting headers and SSs at them.

Plus, I move around the stage using mainly running, I don't dance trot a lot, and I don't dash-dance, as I personally haven't found a use for it, SS Cancels I use though, I use them a lot.

Last edited:

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
RAR > SH > Airdodge > Bair. Can be a nice kill option if you conditionned your opponent with grab during the set (usually they spotdodge and take the hit of the Bair before I land on the ground)

When the opponent is on the ledge:
-SH Header torward the stage to cover a jump getup (can sometimes spike with it). If he didn't jump, I can punish a normal get up with a Bair right before I land.
- Header Cancel > Back hit of Fair. That way the ball can cover normal getup while you read a roll (I think someone already said that in another thread)

When edge guarding:
- Header Cancel > Header (on the ball). I just really like the trajectory.

In neutral:
- SH > B-reverse SS > Jump out of SS > (...)
- SH > Header > SS > Jump out of SS > (...)
mixing those two with and without B-reverse to create an opening for a potential semi-charged SS to rack up damage.

Of course, Header Cancel shenanigans between all that.

Top Bottom