• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
:ivysaur::jigglypuff::lucas::pt::squirtle:

AND

Eliminate :wolf: but put his moveset onto :falco:'s. Then change :ike: for Chrome. And :snake:'s moveset is so unique that would be a pitty if we loose it... so I would replace him by Andy (from Advance Wars).

So, yes, In my opinion, :falcon::popo::ganondorf::falco::metaknight::gw::ness2::rob: should return in Smash 4. And of course, :pichumelee::roymelee::drmario::younglinkmelee: wouldn't come back. :mewtwomelee: is the only thing I'm not sure... I was a week ago... But now Greninja is in...

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
Actualy It Seems Like Nintendo Care That Much About Custom Movesets.
Marios Moveset is Still Mario's Moveset
Links Moveset is Still Link's Moveset
They About It For A Very Short Amount Of Time, And The "original Moves" Many Of Them Had fancy Presentations.
So I Don't Think They Will Affect The Roster Att All, But I May Be Wrong.
Btw A Character Can Always Be De-Cloned:
Lucas: Alot Of Magic Spells
Ganondorf: From All Of His Many Appearences
Falco: I Don't Know, Barrel Rool (not relly)
=D

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff? You can't cut anyone from the original 12!

Snake, (Sonic), R.O.B., Ike, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pokémon Trainer, (Lucario), Lucas, Wolf, Falco

I think these characters don't add anything new to Smash.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can understand Lucas, Wolf, and Falco not adding anything to Smash Bros. (even if I don't believe it), and maybe even Ike if you really stretch the definition, but I don't see how R.O.B., the Pokemon Trainer, and both of the game's third party characters don't add anything new to the franchise.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I can understand Lucas, Wolf, and Falco not adding anything to Smash Bros. (even if I don't believe it), and maybe even Ike if you really stretch the definition, but I don't see how R.O.B., the Pokemon Trainer, and both of the game's third party characters don't add anything new to the franchise.
Pokemon Trainer is likely by this point. But with ROB, yeah. And what do you mean "Both"?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Pokemon Trainer is likely by this point. But with ROB, yeah. And what do you mean "Both"?
Ove included both Snake and Sonic in their list of characters who didn't bring anything new to Smash Bros. I know that the Trainer's other two Pokemon are likely cut (either that, or Pokemon gets 7 or 8 individual characters, which seems implausible), but saying that the Pokemon Trainer didn't bring anything new to the game is nonsense.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Ove included both Snake and Sonic in their list of characters who didn't bring anything new to Smash Bros. I know that the Trainer's other two Pokemon are likely cut (either that, or Pokemon gets 7 or 8 individual characters, which seems implausible), but saying that the Pokemon Trainer didn't bring anything new to the game is nonsense.
Ah, okay. Was it a post? If so quote it.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff? You can't cut anyone from the original 12!

Snake, (Sonic), R.O.B., Ike, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pokémon Trainer, (Lucario), Lucas, Wolf, Falco

I think these characters don't add anything new to Smash.
Well... Excepting Falco and Lucas, every character in there has a unique moveset. I think we should not loose movesets like ROB's or Snake's...

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Among the Brawl roster, I feel like Snake, Ike, and Wolf or Falco are in the greatest danger of being cut. Squirtle and Ivysaur are all but confirmed cut at this point.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... Squirtle and Ivysaur are almost out. By the way, what do you guys think about Ice Climbers? I love them, but the hasn't been any refference to them as it has already been to Ness, Ct. Falcon or Wario.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... Squirtle and Ivysaur are almost out. By the way, what do you guys think about Ice Climbers? I love them, but the hasn't been any refference to them as it has already been to Ness, Ct. Falcon or Wario.
They're pretty popular, I highly doubt they're going anywhere. Probably unlockable.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actually they did get a reference. The Polar Bear is back.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
For sure I think Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are cut. I also think Jigglypuff, Ike, and possibly Wolf could be cut Other than them though, i would say everyone seems pretty safe.

Shroob

Sup?
For sure I think Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur are cut. I also think Jigglypuff, Ike, and possibly Wolf could be cut Other than them though, i would say everyone seems pretty safe.
Considering we only have 4 Pokemon reps at the moment, I think Jiggles is safe.

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
They brought back Toon Link, so I feel almost everyone is safe. I think Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone for sure, though, and there's a 50-50 chance for Snake. Everyone else has a pretty good shot of returning.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Considering we only have 4 Pokemon reps at the moment, I think Jiggles is safe.
But there's always Mewtwo. They could both be in, but I could also see Mewtwo getting in over Jiggly. There will be five Pokemon, no doubt. It's just a matter of it's Jiggly or Mewtwo.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Squirtle and Ivysaur are most likely gone, my money is on Ike being replaced by Chrom, and since we have seen literally nothing regarding Snake (odd considering how Brawl promoted him and how both Brawl and 4 promote Sonic) we can probably say good bye to him. Jiggly is another option due to lack of relevance in her own series, and if worst comes to pass, Falco and Wolf might be axed. Let's face it. Star Fox has not gotten any love in a while..

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am hoping wolf stays he is the only starfox character I like to play as, just change the final smash

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Ike is going to be replaced by Chrom, I think that's what most of us think. But the problem is what to do with Snake. He had mines, rockets, granades and some other gadgets I wouldn't remove from Smash. So... I guess Saku is going to replace Snake with an Advance Wars character. I think it could fit perfectly with most of Snake's moveset. And it is also a very loved franchise that should have representation in SSB.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
That's still getting representation.
I meant representation in the roster. Advance Wars is one of the most sucessful Nintendo series in terms of critics. Also, it could give more variety to the gameplay. And, if Snake is going out, an Advance Wars character could take his moveset. So... Why not?

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Hadn't see that! Oh, God, that gives me some hope!!
The Ice Climbers are already pretty much confirmed. Sakurai said in an interview that they had some trouble getting them to work on the 3DS, but looking at footage from Rosalina + Luma it's pretty clear that they've got it all working now. And aside from that, they already made the jump from Melee to Brawl, so I see no reason why they wouldn't make it again.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
As of right now, I think that :squirtle: :ivysaur::pt: and :snake: are gone. Charizard is solo, and I don't think the other two are that massively popular enough to stand on their own. Greninja pretty much seals Squirtle's fate. That on top of the fact that we still haven't seen :jigglypuff: or :mewtwomelee: and those two are sure fire gone. Snake is out IMO because his moveset is already being shipped around. Sheik's "new" grenade move is a reskinned snake grenade, and that steel diver gun, while not identical to Snake's rockets, are similar enough. Others on the chopping block include :ike::lucas: and :falco: OR :wolf:. Ike is in danger not only because Chrom could take his spot, but also because of the huge popularity of Roy in Japan, and the possibility that he could very well return. Lucas is in danger because he is a semi-clone, and unless he is overhauled, I think he goes before :ness2: ever will. I am feeling very strongly that one of the space animals could go. One of them needs a moveset overhaul and personally I think :wolf: should get it as he is the more differentiated of the two as is, as well as being the antagonist/rival character. In the end, most characters are safe, and :falcon::popo::metaknight::ness2::wario: were all but confirmed between the direct, the press photos after, and Sakurai's previous comments(regarding Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers. So in the end. if characters have to be cut it will be as follows, IMO.
Already Gone: :squirtle::ivysaur::pt::snake:
Likely Going: :ike: and :falco: OR :wolf:
Could be Cut if Necessary: :lucas:
Safe: :falcon::ganondorf::popo::jigglypuff::metaknight::gw::ness2::rob::wario:

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Really Ike would be cut if Chrom is infact confirmed.
Really, I think Ike could be cut, and then parts of his moveset could be in Chrom and a revived Roy.
But if a new FE character happens to be announced, and it tuns out to be Robin or Anna (I believe she has been in almost every FE, right?), then Ike is staying.

Shroob

Sup?
I just dunno about Falco. He's a two time veteran and while he could be cut, he wouldn't take much to de-clone imo. Give him an Arwing as a FS and if Wolf's cut, merge some of Wolf's stuff into him and he'll be good to go.

He's such a fan favorite and I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows that.

Why would Lucas be in trouble more than Ness?
Ness joined Smash Bros first, his game is localized, and he's more iconic.

I don't think Lucas will get the boot unless the size of the new roster isn't much bigger compared to Brawl.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
:ivysaur::jigglypuff::lucas::pt::squirtle:

AND

Eliminate :wolf: but put his moveset onto :falco:'s. Then change :ike: for Chrome. And :snake:'s moveset is so unique that would be a pitty if we loose it... so I would replace him by Andy (from Advance Wars).

So, yes, In my opinion, :falcon::popo::ganondorf::falco::metaknight::gw::ness2::rob: should return in Smash 4. And of course, :pichumelee::roymelee::drmario::younglinkmelee: wouldn't come back. :mewtwomelee: is the only thing I'm not sure... I was a week ago... But now Greninja is in...

GO.....LOOK....AT....THE...MEWTWO....THREAD

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm honestly surprised so many people still have cut heavy lists at this point. I said this in another thread but of every character whose ever been in the starting roster of a Smash game, there's now only 7 left (:falcon::ness2::popo::wario::metaknight::ike::lucas:) with the first 5 basically being confirmed in the Direct. We still have 3-4 months before the full roster is revealed and, given we got 9 characters in the span of four months and still have E3 yet to go, a lot of my doubts have been put to bed.

Last edited:

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
No way in a millions years that Roy is in and Ike is cut. If by any chance Ike isn't back neither is Roy. That would not make any sense.

My money is on Ike + Robin/The Tactician.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Thinking about it, the Direct might not have put as many characters in trouble as people (myself included) think.

For Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Mewtwo, the Pokemon franchise has gained two characters per Smash game depending on how you look at it (N64: Pikachu and Jigglypuff; Melee: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mewtwo; Brawl: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard), and even if you don't count the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon as separate characters, it still got two new characters in every instalment (even if there were two cuts in Brawl). Given that characters like Sheik and Zero Suit Samus weren't revealed at the same time as Zelda and Samus, and the development team seems hesitant to cut characters with unique movesets, it still seems possible that we'll see those characters make another appearance.

As for Snake, Sheik getting a grenade move doesn't seem to mean much, especially since it's her side-B attack as opposed to Snake's B move. Treating that as a sign that Snake's gone would be like saying that Fox is cut from Melee after Mario's reflecting cape was revealed. It seems highly likely that the two moves would act differently from each other.

Basically, it seems like it's a bit early to rule anybody out yet. That may be my sense of optimism talking, but I consider that to be a better mentality to have than being pessimistic and assuming that half of the Brawl newcomers have been cut due to incredibly vague reasons.

Top Bottom