• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Yeah, poor, poor Ness. Well, at least Lucas is, in my eyes, a worthy successor.

And another thing I just noticed:

Claus is just Lucas' name scrambled. C-L-A-U-S . . . L-U-C-A-S . . . both contain the letters A-C-L-S-U.

Yes, I know. I'm slow.

Insurance Salesman

Smash Apprentice
Ness, how I'm going to miss you.

"We gather here today in memory of a great smasher, a great boy and most of all, a great friend."

*sniff*

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'm not counting Ness out just yet. I could see Lucas being a "Luigi-fied clone" of Ness, since he seems to have several unique moves and no yo-yo, though I agree that the odds are now greatly against him.

Shadowplusle

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking a second ago.

what were to happen if Ness was revealed tomorrow?

I think everyone would feel bad for thinking he was out, including my self.

i think it would be hilarious

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking a second ago.

what were to happen if Ness was revealed tomorrow?

I think everyone would feel bad for thinking he was out, including my self.

i think it would be hilarious
I do have a feeling we might get a character update tomorrow. We've had music, Game mode/Subspace, items, Assist Trophy, and special moves this week. The only other things I can think of other than a character are a Pokemon or a non-Subspace related game mode.

We had a mind-blowing game mode (Stage Builder) last week, and a Pokemon would be rather lame (though they've ended weeks in a lame way before). In fact, mark my words, we're getting a character update or a Pokemon tomorrow. My guesses for a character?

Chuck Falcon
Ridley
Krystal
or Captain Olimar

See ya tomorrow!

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I still think Ness will be in Brawl.

Lucas and Ness' movesets aren't as similar as some people are claiming. Yeah their specials are mostly the same, but Sakurai said that Lucas' standard moves were all different from Ness', and he even threw in a few smashes and a tether recovery to prove it. Which means that Ness and Lucas only actually share three moves in common: PK Fire, PK Thunder, and Psi Magnet. In Melee, Mario and Luigi (two completely unique characters) share more moves than Lucas and Ness do now.
Speaking of Mario and Luigi, that's what I'd like to compare Ness and Lucas to. Outside of smash bros, Luigi is almost always very similar if not identical to Mario. So in smash bros, Luigi was given a moveset that had a lot of moves in common with Mario, to reflect that similarity. He was then tweaked to avoid redundancy; his fireballs goes straight instead of bouncing, he can slide like crazy when he does his tornado, and his up special has a mandatory sweet spot.
Now look at Lucas and Ness. In their respective Earthbound games, they both have near-identical roles from what I've heard. Same powers, same equipment, same stats. So it makes sense that in smash bros their movesets would reflect this similarity. Thus, they share a few signature special moves and have similar size and mass (from what I can tell). And to avoid redundancy, the standard moves are changed and the specials are tweaked. PK Fire goes straight instead of down (and appears to act differently when it hits), Psi Magnet appears in front instead of everywhere, etc...

Basically, it seems that Brawl still has room for Ness' moveset, which despite sharing three moves with Lucas is still otherwise unique. Perhaps this seems a little stubborn to still assert that Ness will return, but heck, if Wiseguy can pretend that Marth won't come back even in the face of all the evidence, then I can still believe that all unique movesets will return.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Lucas and Ness' movesets aren't as similar as some people are claiming. Yeah their specials are mostly the same, but Sakurai said that Lucas' standard moves were all different from Ness', and he even threw in a few smashes and a tether recovery to prove it. Which means that Ness and Lucas only actually share three moves in common: PK Fire, PK Thunder, and Psi Magnet. In Melee, Mario and Luigi (two completely unique characters) share more moves than Lucas and Ness do now.
Speaking of Mario and Luigi, that's what I'd like to compare Ness and Lucas to. Outside of smash bros, Luigi is almost always very similar if not identical to Mario. So in smash bros, Luigi was given a moveset that had a lot of moves in common with Mario, to reflect that similarity. He was then tweaked to avoid redundancy; his fireballs goes straight instead of bouncing, he can slide like crazy when he does his tornado, and his up special has a mandatory sweet spot.
Now look at Lucas and Ness. In their respective Earthbound games, they both have near-identical roles from what I've heard. Same powers, same equipment, same stats. So it makes sense that in smash bros their movesets would reflect this similarity. Thus, they share a few signature special moves and have similar size and mass (from what I can tell). And to avoid redundancy, the standard moves are changed and the specials are tweaked. PK Fire goes straight instead of down (and appears to act differently when it hits), Psi Magnet appears in front instead of everywhere, etc...

Basically, it seems that Brawl still has room for Ness' moveset, which despite sharing three moves with Lucas is still otherwise unique. Perhaps this seems a little stubborn to still assert that Ness will return, but heck, if Wiseguy can pretend that Marth won't come back even in the face of all the evidence, then I can still believe that all unique movesets will return.
You made quite a good post on that but to begin with Claus has more of sakurai's interest to start with :chuckle:.
And his moveset is quite the same (Maybe not the A Attacks but still...) Do you want to play as what essentially is lucas with a cap on ? I Don't really see Any of this especially when brawl isn't melee 2.0 and there are no "Cloneish"Characters this time X:.

Kirby_M@ster

Smash Ace
Looks like a list of confirmed characters plus a bunch of popular ones with 'PROBABLE' slapped under them.

I think you should provide some evidence as to WHY you think they are probable...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You made quite a good post on that but to begin with Claus has more of sakurai's interest to start with :chuckle:.
And his moveset is quite the same (Maybe not the A Attacks but still...) Do you want to play as what essentially is lucas with a cap on ? I Don't really see Any of this especially when brawl isn't melee 2.0 and there are no "Cloneish"Characters this time X:.
Considering there are more A moves than B moves, that means that the majority of Ness's moves are different than Lucas's. People don't mind playing with Mario wearing a green outfit, so why should this be any different. They only share 3 moves so far, and 2 of those 3 moves even behave differently.

I'm not saying I think Ness will be in, but calling them clones based on 3 shared moves is completely rediculous.

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman

Sonic Wave said:
Considering there are more A moves than B moves, that means that the majority of Ness's moves are different than Lucas's. People don't mind playing with Mario wearing a green outfit, so why should this be any different. They only share 3 moves so far, and 2 of those 3 moves even behave differently.

I'm not saying I think Ness will be in, but calling them clones based on 3 shared moves is completely rediculous.
Nice to see some people agree with me ;)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

The stages are:

1) Denial: The initial stage: "It can't be happening. Ness can't be deconfirmed."

2) Anger: "Why NESS? It's not fair!" (either referring to God, Sakurai, or anybody perceived, rightly or wrongly, as "responsible")

3) Bargaining: "Just let Ness be an alternate costume."

4) Depression: "I'm so sad, why bother this stupid game?"

5) Acceptance: "It's going to be OK."

;) Sorry, I guess that was a cheap shot - espcessially considering my own habit of grasping at straws (ie: Marth). Yes, it is possible that Ness could return, but the Sakurai's choice of words seems to point to the character being gone.

There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar.

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
I do have a feeling we might get a character update tomorrow. We've had music, Game mode/Subspace, items, Assist Trophy, and special moves this week. The only other things I can think of other than a character are a Pokemon or a non-Subspace related game mode.

We had a mind-blowing game mode (Stage Builder) last week, and a Pokemon would be rather lame (though they've ended weeks in a lame way before). In fact, mark my words, we're getting a character update or a Pokemon tomorrow. My guesses for a character?

Chuck Falcon
Ridley
Krystal
or Captain Olimar

See ya tomorrow!
Ok, so I was wrong. I forgot about stage updates, at least its related to Ridley! :laugh:

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Hey Wiseguy, why haven't you put Marth on your list yet.

You could at least put him as highly probable if you're still uncomfortable putting him as a shoe-in.

BTW I don't care if Ness makes it in or not, but some arguements against his incusion are better than others.

Shadowplusle

Smash Journeyman
Dr. Kawashima could be amazing. just imagine if he pulls out a calculator on you.:laugh:

Anyway, i still wish for Ness to be in the gam,e but true his chances seem to be kind of low, but nonetheless, the movesets differ in a lot of ways. i really liked the argument about mario and lugi VS Ness and lucas, but if you think about it, they haven't confirmed luigi yet, so for all we know he might not be in it either. *Cough* Luigi's in brawl *Cough* But still ness should not be excluded from the game.

slightly dissapointed by today's update, really hoping for a character. luckily with no school on monday, i can get some sleep and enjoy the update at the same time.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
The stages are:

1) Denial: The initial stage: "It can't be happening. Ness can't be deconfirmed."

2) Anger: "Why NESS? It's not fair!" (either referring to God, Sakurai, or anybody perceived, rightly or wrongly, as "responsible")

3) Bargaining: "Just let Ness be an alternate costume."

4) Depression: "I'm so sad, why bother this stupid game?"

5) Acceptance: "It's going to be OK."

;) Sorry, I guess that was a cheap shot - espcessially considering my own habit of grasping at straws (ie: Marth).
Well, I was sort of asking for it, considering the state of popular opinion regarding Ness these days. But hey, at least you were funny about it. All is forgiven.

Yes, it is possible that Ness could return, but the Sakurai's choice of words seems to point to the character being gone.
Yeah, it's kind of hard to ignore what 'the Sakurai' said. But I wouldn't say that the words ONLY point to him being gone. I think they point more towards Sakurai trying to avoid confirming or denying Ness' place in Brawl.

Imagine if you were trying to only MENTION a veteran character without giving a yes or no to their playable status in Brawl. What words would you use? You could say: "Luigi, a character who made appearances in the previous smash bros games," or "Ganondorf, a character who was playable in the last smash bros game," or perhaps you could say "Ness, [a character] who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now".
Really, almost any way you try and say it it comes out sounding like a character got cut in the transition from one smash bros to the next. So I'm not going to try and analyze what Sakurai said too much, and instead focus on whether or not I think Lucas looks like a Ness replacement. And I don't think Lucas looks like a replacement for Ness any more than I think Luigi looks like a replacement for Mario (or Ike looks like a replacement for Marth. Zing!).

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
ATTENTION ALL:

For those of you with a GamePro subscription, you have recieved (or will recieve soon) your new December 2007 edition of the magazine.

I wish to direct your attention to page number 137 of said magazine.

Now look in the top right corner of that page. See the "An All-Star Brawl" letter?

THAT'S MINE!

I read through the whole leter, glanced at the name, and was about to move on to the last cople pages... Then I did a double take... That was my letter. I had completely forgotten that I sent them that thing.

Wow...just wow.

Also, just as a treat (and to prove it's mine), here is the un-edited version that I sent to them.

***NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE***

Letter was sent on August 14th. It is out-dated.
[/end note]

Dear GamePro Editors:

As I know you are all aware, December 3rd has been announced as the official release date for the next edition of the Smash Brothers series. Over the course of the last two years, many hundreds of thousands of fans have speculated and predicted and estimated and all other manner of things about who will be considered “worthy” to appear in the game. There are, of course, the fan favorites, that is to say characters who are considered to be guaranteed slots, such as Diddy Kong, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Midna. And, like yin to yang, there are those who are considered so outrageous that they have no chance in…well, you get the idea, such as Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, and Viewtiful Joe. And, although there is nothing wrong with speculation as it creates hype and hype creates sales, these hopefuls are nothing but that…speculation from the fans.

I want an insider’s (or, as the case may be, several insiders) opinion. As the editors of such an important magazine to the gaming community, you guys are more knowledgeable about the games than most (I didn’t say all) of the gaming community put together. So GamePro editors, I offer a challenge to you.

I challenge you all (as a group) to come up with a list of forty characters that you believe to be the most likely Smash Brothers final roster, that is to say the complete roster with all hidden characters revealed. The most commonly accepted (and expected) number of characters in the final roster is forty, so we’ll use that as the maximum allowed characters in this challenge. There could be more, there could be less…but, for this challenge, there are only forty. Simple, right? Don’t forget to follow all of Sakurai’s rules, at least one character from Melee will not be returning, and to include all of the confirmed (as of today’s date, August 14th) characters as well. Also, keep in mind that it is very likely that (if you decide to include this letter in an edition of the magazine [I‘m not holding my breath]) at least one more character will be confirmed before this letter is published, so don’t forget to include them in the roster as well. Once you have what you (as a group) believe to be the most reasonable list of characters for Brawl’s final roster, put it up for the fans to see (either in the magazine or on the website.)

Naturally, I’m not expecting you to know the full roster anymore than we, the Smash community, do (simply because Nintendo is so tight-lipped about it,) nor am I expecting you to predict it with 100% accuracy…but, your opinions on the matter could help put several fights and wars across the internet to rest…and, who knows, maybe even stir up a few new ones.

Sincerely yours,
Ferro De Lupe
(aka Casey W****** from Tecumseh, Oklahoma)

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Ok seriously i'm sorry to bring this up again but add Claus to the list.
1.)Mother deserves 2 reps , It's a cult-hit in japan and very popular as to the fact lucas and claus are.
2.)Claus scored very high on the poll's.
3.)Very unique moveset.
4.)His competition...R.I.P. Ness.
5.)His role in mother 3 is very big to the storyline.
6.)Sakurai has shown LOTS Of interest into him and lucas.
7.)The idea of putting in Claus and Lucas could help a potential world-wide release for mother's international market now that we have Smashbros :Looks at what marth and roy did for FE In america: That's saying a lot.
8.)Kawashima is less deserving than claus will ever be in a billion years , There are a lot of people less deserving there than claus.
9.)Sakurai has shown interest into mother 3.
10.)He has PRA (Popularity role attacks.) Sakurai likes him , Fan's want him...And might i mention mother is more popular in japan than F-zero is ? And heck it has some well popularity here so i think that you should @_@ At least consider claus onto the main roster.
Anyhow those are my thoughts on it :p.

slisenberg

Smash Cadet
Alright, I totally disagree with your pick for kawashima. It doesn't make sense that a real person would make it into a game to me (not to mention that he didn't originate in video games), but that's ok. My main gripe is not the reasoning for kawashima itself, but the fact that you continually misspelled "exhibit". change it please :(

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
I still believe in Ness. It's not like I lose something over it...

By the way, Wiseguy, who is Soinc and why is he in your list?

Top Bottom