• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

President Iwata Passes Away..

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
To think that everything that has been a huge part of our childhood was made possible up till now by this one man. Now, I feel that part of our childhood has died along with him. I never felt this emotional since Robin William's death. No matter what sort of times Nintendo went through, both good or bad, Iwata was always a good man at heart, through and through. Given to how last month's Nintendo E3 turned out, the reception is made even more painful considering it was Iwata's final one. Let us always keep him alive within our memories. :(

(Just listening to this makes want to continue from where I left off with Super Paper Mario)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Even the first one, as he help Sakurai with the original prototypes and the programming
Well, 64 was going to come out regardless. But Iwata was the one that brought Melee out of the depths of development hell and prevented Smash from being a single-entry series.

A tournament the size of Apex would be the perfect thank you for that.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
It would be amazing if Sakurai actually made Iwata Smash DLC to honor him. And no, I mean a real, fleshed out fighter. Not a Mii Fighter.
Actually, I can get behind this. Who's with me?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Here is an Iwata ribbon.

Let me know if you'd like one on your avatar.
I'm sorry for asking this, but we want to give respect to this wonderful man who made all of this possible. I want a ribbon too.

RIP Satoru Iwata, I hope you go directly to heaven.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, 64 was going to come out regardless. But Iwata was the one that brought Melee out of the depths of development hell and prevented Smash from being a single-entry series.
If Iwata didn't give a helping hand to Sakurai for 64, Smash 64 also wouldn't exist. After all, the earliest stages of development only had the both of them working on it during breaks, iirc.

A tournament the size of Apex would be the perfect thank you for that.
You think too small... especially since EVO 2015 was comfirmed to have more Smashers

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It would be amazing if Sakurai actually made Iwata Smash DLC to honor him. And no, I mean a real, fleshed out fighter. Not a Mii Fighter.
Actually, I can get behind this. Who's with me?
Yes, but for the sake of honoring his lost friend, he should make him free DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks for everything, Mr. Iwata. May you rest in piece and live on the heavens.

I can't believe this happened.

Pakky

Smash Hero
He worked on Pokemon Stadium?

Oh my god the tears.
That was one of the games that made me want to get into 3D modeling...damn it.

Okay i'm gonna stop reading what he worked on, the tears keep coming. Animal Crossing? All those hours trying to get bugs and bells was in part because of him? Oh my god.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I am honestly mindblown by this
Don't be. Playstation and Nintendo have a lot of crossover users and they generally respect each other.

While the fanboys fight, the companies come together as brothers in arms.

Also Major Neelson from Xbox posted as well.
image.jpg

Dat Xbox/Nintendo/Sony love.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's so touching to see so much support for this man going around.

I'm sure Nintendo is beaming with joy that a man they personally respected and loved has brought together many generations of gamers.

It was always his and their own motto as a company and a man.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Wow this is truly shocking news. You gave a lot to the Nintendo community and fanbase plus gaming in general. And only 55 years old too. R.I.P. Mr. Satoru Iwata. Thank you for everything.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Goodbye to Satoru Iwata, CEO of Nintendo. You truly were a legend of the industry. Without you, I would've never played some of my favorite childhood games. Thank you. May your soul be sent Directly to heaven. Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata.

D

Deleted member

He was a great man who was involved in many amazing games. He was involved in Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing.
Working with Hal, he was basically a mentor for Sakurai and helped produce the first Kirby game. He even helped Sakurai create the idea of Nintendo characters fighting against each other, in the wonderful franchise we know as Super Smash Bros. Hell, he even helped compress Gold and Silver for Game Freak so that Kanto could be added.
As President, he helped push many, many sales for Nintendo and made many great achievements; the DS and Wii helped Nintendo reach a monumental amount of sales for them and many feats for them.
His involvement and influence is everywhere for Nintendo. In fact, he helped give the name for Monolith's Xenoblade Chronicles series.
He was just a joy to see in Directs. He kept them fun, interesting, and informative. You can't help but smile every time he says that he will bring Nintendo news "Directly to you."
Now that he's gone, it's a massive shame. It's more troubling that Nintendo is in the middle of a transition phase without a leader...
Iwata, you are gone, but you will never be forgotten. You helped etch many things in Nintendo's history and helped create many great moments for us. Your legacy will live on forever.
May you rest in peace and my thoughts go to your friends and family and everyone at Nintendo. It won't be the same without you. Thank you for everything that you've done.

Top Bottom