• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Press Kit with 240+ pictures (Items not in Direct featured)

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
The Metal Box was in that batch of pictures.

I think the only thing missing from Brawl is the Party Ball, Fan, Cracker Launcher,

and by Melee's items: Barrel Cannon, Red Shell, Cloaking Device, Parasol, Flipper (though that was confirmed not to be in the game, but is a stage hazard in Balloon Trip),
also dragoon

LF2K

Floor Diver
The Curry is back, too. I saw it in one of GameXplain's slideshows with 3DS pictures.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
This is pretty boss I like the new items. Damn I can't wait for these games! Warm weather, lots of beers, and Smash Bros for 3ds summer can't come soon enough.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
For those curious, all items from Brawl except the Fan, the Party Ball and the Cracker Launcher are confirmed.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Musings:
  • The boomerang design is obviously based off the magical boomerang variant found in various Zelda games. Usually the magic boomerang just flies further and faster than the regular one, but in a couple games, it can also be controlled mid-flight. I wonder if there is any significance to the design chosen and if any of these additional properties will come into play.
  • I love all the returning items from the 64 game that I had forgotten about.
  • I assumed the crate design would vary depending on the theme of the stage, but we have a picture of Pikachu about to throw a futuristic-looking box at Samus on the Palutena's Temple stage. I wonder if you will be able to choose or specify the type in the Item Switch...
  • The Chain Chomp is a great idea for an Assist Trophy. It just seems to fit in with the concept perfectly.
  • The Bullet Bill is the biggest mystery for me. It is bundled in with the items, not the Assist Trophies, so I am curious as to what the specifics are. Is there going to be a stationary cannon that fires Bills out? A cannon you hold and carry around that fires Bills out? A single Bullet Bill you get to launch from your hands?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you mean the Spiny Shell, I have a feeling that much like in the Mario Kart series, it'll attack the leading player.
Many call it the Blue Shell, to be clear.

That said, I bet it explodes similar to Mario Kart 7.

Speaking of, I do wonder if every Item is on both versions or if we could see exclusives. Unrelated, I just want my poor Red Shell back. :(

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The funny thing about this though is if you've played many different Mario titles, you'd more likely call the following a Blue Shell...

But not the Mario Kart titles. They actually have Wings. I always called them Blue Shells in MK, rarely a Spiny Shell. But that's because I went by color.

I know Spiny Shell is the correct name, but eh. You get what I mean.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Musings:
  • The boomerang design is obviously based off the magical boomerang variant found in various Zelda games. Usually the magic boomerang just flies further and faster than the regular one, but in a couple games, it can also be controlled mid-flight. I wonder if there is any significance to the design chosen and if any of these additional properties will come into play.
I actually think the Smash boomerang is supposed to be the one from Super Mario 3D Land/World, but only because of how thick the white stripe is.

That said, the designs of the two boomerangs are shockingly similar...

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Anyone else feel like this was the picture dump that was supposed to be released after the direct instead of the actual picture dump we got after the direct? These all look far more focused on the new characters and don't reveal any new info, but that first batch of pictures just came out of left field with the new and returning items, pokemon, etc.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair, the new information was revealed at the right time. The new screenshots that we got today were more extras that focused on the characters who were revealed on the Smash Bros. Direct.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm just gonna say the surprised Pit behind ZSS pic is my favorite. Pit's expression reminds me of one of his expressions from KI:U. For some reason I can't get enough of Pit's new expressions, but considering his lack of expressions in Brawl, how could I not get enough of how much life expressions Pit has in this game? In other words, I want to see more of that angel's expressions.

EDIT: Now with the pic.

More Pit expressions plz. :p

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I actually think the Smash boomerang is supposed to be the one from Super Mario 3D Land/World, but only because of how thick the white stripe is.

That said, the designs of the two boomerangs are shockingly similar...
Nice catch. I completely forgot about the design of the 3D Land boomerang. I stand corrected.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Is it me or do the 3DS pics look a lot nicer in this batch? Also, the Wii U pics looked worse than the other ones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom