• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pressure is a terrible ability - Spire is a n00b lol

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Plus and Minus are the worst abilities ever. Pressure seems to be only useful if you are stalling for something and want to deplete your foe's PP. I don't think there is ever a situation like that.

Ice!

Smash Apprentice
I think that Dusknoir should definitely have levitate, I mean why does Gengar have it? I'm aware that he can float but he's mainly on the ground, Gengar should swap abilities with Dusknoir.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
If only there were alternatives to Pressure, but balanced...How about Interference (Dialga, Palkia, legendary birds): "Prevents the opponent from raising stats..."

Actually, that's a little cheeky. Still, while I find the blanket Pressure thing rather uncool, I was under the impression that it is intended to make capturing legendary monsters difficult.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
So you guys think pressure is bad because it's usually on the wrong pokemon?

lol?

Instead of saying the ability is terrible, just say that Nintendo is terrible at picking pokemon/ability combinations.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
It is not a bad ability it is just there are better ones out there. Stall pokemon actually can use it. It is overused though. They need to come up with new and better abilities and least give some of the pressure users a secondary ability.

In game though pressure is amazing. Full Restore PPstalling for the win. I love having Giratina stall out Cynthia's Lucario.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
It is not a bad ability it is just there are better ones out there. Stall pokemon actually can use it. It is overused though. They need to come up with new and better abilities and least give some of the pressure users a secondary ability.

In game though pressure is amazing. Full Restore PPstalling for the win. I love having Giratina stall out Cynthia's Lucario.
How else are you supposed to beat it, huh? HUH????!??? :p

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
Pressure isn't that bad. I agree most of the legendaries should have received other abilities. It sounds cool when it says "Dusknoir is applying pressure." ow w/e the exact phrase is.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Pressure is annoying, at the best of times like if you were EV training against against a Pokemon with it (Haxing Spiritomb or something) but in a real battle online or something, I'm sure it's virtually useless.

Serene Grace = Best Ability. Dunsparce > You.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Togekiss can have Serene Grace.

I suppose a Dunsparce riding a Togekiss would work too.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
I'm not so sure that Pressure's so useless. On some Pokemon, it is near useless (Deoxys, Moltres, etc), but it's really much more suited to the highly defensive Pokemon like Giratina. He cripples a physical attacker like Groudon or Metagross with Will-O-Wisp, and their most powerful attacks not only do very little but don't last long - a PP maxed Stone Edge only lasts four turns. It's even worse with a low PP move in a double battle against two Pokemon with Pressure, since then they last two turns. And for any Blizzard user that is not a good thing.

WouW

Smash Lord
Trace Porygon2 with Wonder Guard > Trace Porygon2 with Drizzle or Magic Guard.
It's just that Shedinja sucks so much statwise to balance out its ridiculous ability.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'm not so sure that Pressure's so useless. On some Pokemon, it is near useless (Deoxys, Moltres, etc), but it's really much more suited to the highly defensive Pokemon like Giratina. He cripples a physical attacker like Groudon or Metagross with Will-O-Wisp, and their most powerful attacks not only do very little but don't last long - a PP maxed Stone Edge only lasts four turns. It's even worse with a low PP move in a double battle against two Pokemon with Pressure, since then they last two turns. And for any Blizzard user that is not a good thing.
Moltres is actually one of them that has quite a good use for Pressure. Where do you get your facts from?

EDIT: Wonder Guard Porygon2 IS pretty amazing, but I'm pretty sure that there's only one or two workable sets that can obtain Wonder Guard and force Shedinja to switch back out, which is quite saddening. :(

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Moltres is actually one of them that has quite a good use for Pressure. Where do you get your facts from?

EDIT: Wonder Guard Porygon2 IS pretty amazing, but I'm pretty sure that there's only one or two workable sets that can obtain Wonder Guard and force Shedinja to switch back out, which is quite saddening. :(
Because of a 4x weakness to Rock-type attacks and Stealth Rock. You can pretty much OHKO him with Stone Edge or maybe Rock Slide, and with 50% of your health stripped away by SR, you really won't need a low-PP high-powered attack to finish him off. :dizzy:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Articuno is much better suited for PP stalling, it has better defensive stats.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Because of a 4x weakness to Rock-type attacks and Stealth Rock. You can pretty much OHKO him with Stone Edge or maybe Rock Slide, and with 50% of your health stripped away by SR, you really won't need a low-PP high-powered attack to finish him off. :dizzy:
Put it on a team with a spinner and don't bring it out against something that will likely be carrying a rock-type move. Tada! You've officially just solved both of those problems. Also, as long as it misses even once (which, let's be honest, isn't too rare), Moltres can still PP stall Stone Edge. And very few common things even find a need to carry Rock Slide, so I'm not even going to discuss that one.

Articuno is much better suited for PP stalling, it has better defensive stats.
But on the other side, it has an extra weakness, less resistances, and a lower speed. And as long as you can hide behind a sub, your defenses aren't needed quite as much. Also, Moltres typically packs more of a punch with its flamethrower than Articuno does with its ice beam, thanks to Moltres' higher Special Attack stat. This means that Moltres has an easier time at killing the things that it can't necessarily PP stall, which I find to be quite essential when considering the stalling utility of a Pokemon.

I dunno. Just my thoughts on that matter.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hm... that's a good point. However, in their respective tiers, Articuno is a better PP staller. Can we agree on that?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Oh goodness...if talking about their respective tiers, then hell yes I can agree on that. >.<

Top Bottom