• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I guess it's worth a try sometimes. No downside to it.
True, but Nintendo ignoring their loyal fanbase is just plain moronic, Sony listened to fan feedback, and look what happened, the PS4 is printing money for them and annihilating the Wii U in sales, Nintendo has forgotten who made them what they are, the fans and the consumers, we can very well unmake them, Nintendo needs to get their heads out of their butts, and open up their ears, if they want their next console to succeed

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
True, but Nintendo ignoring their loyal fanbase is just plain moronic, Sony listened to fan feedback, and look what happened, the PS4 is printing money for them and annihilating the Wii U in sales, Nintendo has forgotten who made them what they are, the fans and the consumers, we can very well unmake them, Nintendo needs to get their heads out of their butts, and open up their ears, if they want their next console to succeed
dear god are you kidding me Nintendo listens way more then sony and Microsoft. there not like rockstar who does the good stuff on next gen and atleast dlc is cheaper!

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
dear god are you kidding me Nintendo listens way more then sony and Microsoft. there not like rockstar who does the good stuff on next gen and atleast dlc is cheaper!

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Here's something to think about--and probably something to clear up a little mystery many people might have with the Wii U Orbital Gate Stage:

Anyone notice how there are only three arwings for the Wii U Orbital Gate stage? Well, I'm going to make the assumption that NONE of the codecs will have Krystal in them (at least for this stage).

There's a potential reason.

Look back to the Lylat Cruise stage's codecs. Compare Fox and Falco's speaking models to that of Slippy, Peppy, and Krystal. They're A LOT different. They're much more detailed. This is because they're FIGHTERS. Slippy, Peppy, and Krystal use their created trophy models--mainly ripped directly from Assault. Fox and Falco however use their SMASH models. The same goes for Wolf too, if you compared his codec model to that of the other Star Wolf models.

So...

Let's jump into the Orbital Gate stage.

Hypothetically, what if Krystal was revealed on the codec, or was included in the codec, and had a model with unusually higher detail than Slippy and Peppy, much like Fox and Falco? It would be too obvious to assume that she may be a fighter in Sm4sh.

It is for THIS VERY REASON why Krystal MIGHT not appear in the codec. It is to keep her a secret either as a Wii U transferable, OR as DLC in the future.

Her model would be HIGHER QUALITY than Slippy and Peppy, thus making it too obvious.

By NOT including her, they're NOT giving us the opportunity to see this difference. Let me be the first to tell you that they would be MUCH different. Fox and Falco were already much different than Slippy and Peppy shown within the 50 fact extravaganza video.

Now, some might say "oh, well doesn't that make it more obvious that she could be in if they didn't include her in the codec?"

No. It does not.

First of all, it would probably make some people assume that she was completely written out of the series. This is BS, given the Krystal trophy in SSB4 on the 3DS. By the way, that is a home console rendition of Krystal on the 3DS trophy, which we already established as strange given the PotD by Sakurai last New Year's week with Saria's trophy.

However, the main point is:

If she's not included in the codec, we will NOT be able to know specifically what her status in SSB4 is. Ergo, we would not be able to say "she's disconfirmed" OR "she's confirmed". THAT'S the point. It's to leave us in the dark to create the highest probability of surprise.

On the other hand, if she wasn't included on the codec AND was never confirmed/disconfirmed, she would have been completely ignored.

Those are the only two options presented by this situation.

Judging how there are three apparent arwings, this whole situation could very well be the case.

Some might say it's too early to call. However, if you have seen GameXplain's playthrough of the Orbital Gate stage, you'll see what I'm talking about. The three arwing thing is like a THEME. There are three arwings that appear CONSTANTLY throughout the stage. No more than three.

As for the Lylat Cruise stage, there's a bunch or arwings on different flight paths.

The three arwings on the Orbital Gate stage, almost thematically, fly in a uniform manner. That's what is making me think that only Fox, Falco, Slippy, and Peppy (due to the Great Fox) will be the only ones to appear in the codec (that is, unless Star Wolf or anything extraneous appears within the codec itself).

I just wish GameXplain had enough time to run down the Orbital Gate codecs. That way we'd know for sure one way or the other.

Last edited:

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman
Here's something to think about--and probably something to clear up a little mystery many people might have with the Wii U Orbital Gate Stage:

Anyone notice how there are only three arwings for the Wii U Orbital Gate stage? Well, I'm going to make the assumption that NONE of the codecs will have Krystal in them (at least for this stage). The Lylat Cruise stage, however, will be have the exact same codecs it had in Brawl.

Look back to the Lylat Cruise stage's codecs. Compare Fox and Falco's speaking models to that of Slippy, Peppy, and Krystal. They're A LOT different. They're much more detailed. This is because they're FIGHTERS. Slippy, Peppy, and Krystal use their created trophy models--mainly ripped directly from Assault. Fox and Falco however use their SMASH models. The same goes for Wolf too, if you compared his codec model to that of the other Star Wolf models.

So...

Hypothetically, what if Krystal was revealed on the codec, or was included in the codec, and had a model with unusually higher detail than Slippy and Peppy, much like Fox and Falco? It would be too obvious to assume that she may be a fighter in Sm4sh.

It is for THIS VERY REASON why Krystal MIGHT not appear in the codec. It is to keep her a secret either as a Wii U transferable, OR as DLC in the future.

Her model would be HIGHER QUALITY than Slippy and Peppy, thus making it too obvious.

By NOT including her, they're not giving us the opportunity to see this difference. Let me be the first to tell you that they would be MUCH different. Fox and Falco were already much different than Slippy and Peppy shown within the 50 fact extravaganza video.

Now, some might say "oh, well doesn't that make it more obvious that she could be in if they didn't include her in the codec?"

No. It does not.

First of all, it would probably make some people assume that she was completely written out of the series. This is BS, given the Krystal trophy in SSB4 on the 3DS. By the way, that is a home console rendition of Krystal on the 3DS trophy, which we already established as strange given the PotD by Sakurai last New Year's Eve with Saria's trophy.

If she's not included in the codec, we will NOT be able to know specifically what her status in SSB4 is. Ergo, we would not be able to say "she's disconfirmed" OR "she's confirmed". THAT'S the point. It's to leave us in the dark to create the highest probability of surprise.

On the other hand, if she wasn't included on the codec AND was never confirmed/disconfirmed, she would have been completely ignored.

Judging how there are three apparent arwings, this could very well be the case.

Some might say it's too early to call. However, if you have seen GameXplain's playthrough of the Orbital Gate stage, you'll see what I'm talking about. The three arwing thing is like a THEME. There are three arwings that appear CONSTANTLY throughout the stage. No more than three.

As for the Lylat Cruise stage, there's a bunch or arwings on different flight paths.

The three arwings on the Orbital Gate stage, almost thematically, fly in a uniform manner. That's what is making me think that only Fox, Falco, Slippy, and Peppy (due to the Great Fox) will be the only ones to appear in the codec (that is, unless Star Wolf or anything extraneous appears within the codec itself).

I just wish GameXplain had enough time to run down the Orbital Gate codecs. That way we'd know for sure one way or the other.
I never thought about that or even noticed that the models were higher or lower quality, but I'm glad you pointed this out. I kinda wonder if we can still believe in the brawls codecs when they all talked about wanting to fight...hmm Krystal may be going places or like you also pointed out ignored which just doesn't make sense :/
Orbital Gate (Star Fox Assault Stage!!!!)

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Anyone notice how there are only three arwings for the Wii U Orbital Gate stage? Well, I'm going to make the assumption that NONE of the codecs will have Krystal in them (at least for this stage). The Lylat Cruise stage, however, will be have the exact same codecs it had in Brawl.

So...

By NOT including her, they're not giving us the opportunity to see this difference. Let me be the first to tell you that they would be MUCH different. Fox and Falco were already much different than Slippy and Peppy shown within the 50 fact extravaganza video.

No. It does not.

First of all, it would probably make some people assume that she was completely written out of the series. This is BS, given the Krystal trophy in SSB4 on the 3DS. By the way, that is a home console rendition of Krystal on the 3DS trophy, which we already established as strange given the PotD by Sakurai last New Year's Eve with Saria's trophy.

Judging how there are three apparent arwings, this could very well be the case.

Well assuming she'd be command based like Fox and Falco she'd stick out like a sore thumb compared to the assault based slippy and peppy, It sounds weird to say but let's just hope she won't be any more than a trophy

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
What no phoenix wright? Jk I never thought about that or even noticed that the models were higher or lower quality, but I'm glad you pointed this out. I kinda wonder if we can still believe in the brawls codecs when they all talked about wanting to fight...hmm Krystal may be going places or like you also pointed out ignored which just doesn't make sense :/
Orbital Gate (Star Fox Assault Stage!!!!)

Well, I don't think she's ignored.

We have her trophy already in Smash 4 in the 3DS verison.

Why not use that model in the Wii U Orbital Gate stage codec, since even Peppy and Slippy are using their Assault models?

I wonder...

The differences between models are like night and day, especially if you're keen on model differences between Assault and Command, as @ TheDarkKnightNoivern TheDarkKnightNoivern pointed out.

By the way...

Both Slippy and Peppy DON'T have Assault model trophies on Sm4sh 3DS. HOWEVER, they're using Assault models on the Sm4sh Wii U. This probably means they have Assault trophies on the Wii U version.

Instead, on the 3DS version, Slippy and Peppy use HANDHELD trophies (models from Star Fox 64 3D). This PotD established that this was normal:

However, above, Krystal DIDN'T have a handheld trophy (hers would have been from Command). Her model came from Assault. It was strange, given what Sakurai said above: "the 3DS trophies will be mainly from handheld games". Krystal's wasn't.

Besides...

Why avoid Command in general for trophy models from Star Fox? We already know why.

It's because Nintendo bases the FIGHTER models off of Command.

In the past, I've stated why it would have been bad news for Krystal if her trophy DID come from Command. It would have CONFLICTED with her potential fighter trophy, model-wise.

And now, because of what I said in the above post, we're at a crossroad. An interesting one, at that.

Do the math. Why do YOU think Krystal's Assault model was used on the 3DS version as a trophy, given that we now know that Slippy and Peppy's Assault model trophies are probably on the Wii U version instead?

Would there really be two different Assault-based Krystal trophies? This would be odd. They could have used different models for her: one from Command for the 3DS, and one from Assault on the Wii U.

After all, they presumably GAVE this treatment to Slippy and Peppy: their models on the 3DS version came from Star Fox 64 3D, and their Wii U models appear to come from Assault. This treatment matches up with what Sakurai established in the PotD above.

Why wouldn't Krystal follow this pattern?

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

So...

By NOT including her, they're NOT giving us the opportunity to see this difference. Let me be the first to tell you that they would be MUCH different. Fox and Falco were already much different than Slippy and Peppy shown within the 50 fact extravaganza video.

No. It does not.

First of all, it would probably make some people assume that she was completely written out of the series. This is BS, given the Krystal trophy in SSB4 on the 3DS. By the way, that is a home console rendition of Krystal on the 3DS trophy, which we already established as strange given the PotD by Sakurai last New Year's week with Saria's trophy.

Judging how there are three apparent arwings, this whole situation could very well be the case.

Yeah I noticed they used their smash modules too. I've actually been waiting for someone to post the codecs for Lylat Cruise and Orbital Gate.

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
With all that you said @ TheRandomCities4 TheRandomCities4 , you made such a good point and it makes a lot of sense. it would explain so much. but I'm not getting my hopes up though.. x) fortunately, the wii u version is right around the corner and maybe, there will be a Wii u Smash direct that goes further into detail about data transferring and maybe more info on dlc. :) Maybe that's why they didn't cover it too much in the 50 fact thingy cause they want to hold if until a direct? :D

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I want to say that Krystal is too "new" and that older Starfox characters should take priority over her, but she's been around since the Gamecube era and she has appeared multiple times since then.

Krystal has always been the awkward 6th wheel in the Starfox team who's only purpose is to be Fox's love interest. I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world if she was added. If lots of people really want Krystal to be in Smash I'll definitely support her as a new addition to the game.

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
I want to say that Krystal is too "new" and that older Starfox characters should take priority over her, but she's been around since the Gamecube era and she has appeared multiple times since then.

Krystal has always been the awkward 6th wheel in the Starfox team who's only purpose is to be Fox's love interest. I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world if she was added. If lots of people really want Krystal to be in Smash I'll definitely support her as a new addition to the game.
You do make a good point. :) I'm really hoping the new Star Fox will give her a spotlight and develop her better as a character. ^^ Like, If ground missions make a return, they should make Krystal be the specialists in ground missions rather than Fox only. I feel like that could help. ^-^ especially since co-op missions are a thing maybe-

Fox & Falco on arwing missions
Fox & Slippy with landmaster missions
Fox & Krystal with on foot
Fox & whoever when it comes to the new mechanics. :) Or just choose whoever you want on any missions if they want to give us players freedom and more replay value xD

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine

yes however where talking about sakurai here....since he loves to add females speaking of which after playing the 3ds version the whole weekend I can say if krystal is added she'll be op since most female fighters are (No offense)

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

The main issue a lot of people have with Krystal is her character, or should I say her lack thereof. Truthfully, she hasn't had much in the way of "character" within the Star Fox series. However, Star Fox as a whole series has not been focused on character per se. This goes for most of the Star Fox characters.

Instead, Star Fox has been a series where the character interaction has been almost completely regulated by the story or situation instead of the character. This is why a lot of people have had issues with Star Fox characters getting in Smash Brothers, including Krystal. In fact, I can only think of one genuine character interaction in the entire series! This interaction was between Fox and Wolf, where Fox was on top of Wolf's Wolfen after defeating the Aparoid-infected General Pepper on Corneria in Star Fox: Assault. Even then, Fox was just on the receiving end of the conversation. From that, it was more a look into Wolf's character than Fox's. Pretty much everything else in the series has just been interaction about the missions, or anything related to the story.

Fox however has prevailed the "character interest gap" for two reasons:
  1. We have the opportunity to envelop ourselves within his character because we have the opportunity to play as him throughout the series.
  2. He has a larger historical base established in the Star Fox series than the other characters. For instance, we know more about his past and upbringing than the others, so we have a higher probability of associating and relating ourselves with him.
Falco and Wolf have also prevailed the "character interest gap" mainly by their Smash Brothers inclusions. Lots of people might assume Smash inclusions don't mean much in the way of the character, but I disagree. It allows us the opportunity to play as these characters, which as I've said before allows us to wonder more about that character. Wonder brings a sort of enjoyment, if you will. Or, at least wonder brings an opportunity to enjoy, for that matter. Familiarity through understanding, or at least through the wonder thereof, is the key to that enjoyment. This is why many people want Wolf back--because he has been established as "familiar" in Smash Brothers. People are used to him.

However, if we restrict characters within given parameters (like some of the other Star Fox characters within the series including Krystal), we restrict our want to wonder about these characters. Ergo, we restrict the opportunity to enjoy these characters. By "we" in this paragraph, I'm mainly referring to developers because they have the control on where the series goes (I'll elaborate more on this in a bit). However, "we" includes us video game players too. For instance, many of the restrictions, or "precautions", people have regarding Krystal resulted from the stigmas attached to her.

The people who can circumvent these restrictions are the people who can create opportunities to enjoy these characters with their imagination. This enjoyment results from their imaginative creations outside the given medium of the Star Fox series, which by the way isn't excluded to people who share these imaginative creations (hell, these experiences could even be kept within their own heads). In short, these are basically the people who are more open-minded, at least in particular areas. And that's good, more power to them. However, the reality is that's not for everyone.

There are more people out there who are practical. In this sense, they require a physical medium to experience these characters. These are the people who would most likely see Krystal as a character who has little to offer to Smash Brothers because of how little she has to offer in Star Fox. However, these people need to realize that the stigmas revolving Krystal (such as her "ruining" Star Fox due to being included in a game that deviated from the original play style, etcetera) mean absolutely nothing. Instead, it is the developers who restrict characters within the physical medium, not the characters themselves. The character has no control over the developer. In reality, Miyamoto restricted Krystal from her original intentional character. She was supposed to be a fully involved character in her original game Dinosaur Planet, and was instead shoved into a crystal and a "damsel in distress" trope in Star Fox: Adventures. We have no one to blame but the man behind the decisions, Miyamoto himself.

Taking all of the above into account, we should look to the future about what these characters can bring to Smash, instead of what they may "destroy" by being included in Smash. The latter mentality only tends to cause a lot more stress.

In the end, I think the real thing that attracts so many people to Star Fox is the emanating personality from the series, as well as the design of the characters and the universe that they exist in. From this, we derive that the series itself has an incredible amount of potential due to its possible source material. And that's why so many people support Krystal for Smash too--they see the source potential she can bring instead of what she has brought to the series.

I fully believe that Star Fox as a series needs to innovate by expanding upon what it has already created instead of trying to constantly create new things. I feel that many of us Star Fox fans have nothing to go off of, because we're constantly trying to focus on what is currently being created. All of the source potential that revolves within Star Fox has yet to be explored. It's both exciting and nerve wracking. Unfortunately, given Myamoto's track record with Star Fox, I don't think he will EVER explore this source material. He keeps on trying to build more source material than exploring what has been established.

I mean, it has gotten to the point where we can genuinely ask the question "what the hell IS Star Fox?" We know so much about it, yet we know so little about it too. There is a lot in Star Fox that is left for interpretation, which doesn't work well because there are a lot more people out there who take a practical approach.

I kinda feel like this should be a message spread around the whole Star Fox community...

It's just a different perspective that hopefully proves to be interesting to some.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The main issue a lot of people have with Krystal is her character, or should I say her lack thereof. Truthfully, she hasn't had much in the way of "character" within the Star Fox series. However, Star Fox as a whole series has not been focused on character per se. This goes for most of the Star Fox characters.

Instead, Star Fox has been a series where the character interaction has been almost completely regulated by the story or situation instead of the character. This is why a lot of people have had issues with Star Fox characters getting in Smash Brothers, including Krystal. In fact, I can only think of one genuine character interaction in the entire series! This interaction was between Fox and Wolf, where Fox was on top of Wolf's Wolfen after defeating the Aparoid-infected General Pepper on Corneria in Star Fox: Assault. Even then, Fox was just on the receiving end of the conversation. From that, it was more a look into Wolf's character than Fox's. Pretty much everything else in the series has just been interaction about the missions, or anything related to the story.

Fox however has prevailed the "character interest gap" for two reasons:
  1. We have the opportunity to envelop ourselves within his character because we have the opportunity to play as him throughout the series.
  2. He has a larger historical base established in the Star Fox series than the other characters. For instance, we know more about his past and upbringing than the others, so we have a higher probability of associating and relating ourselves with him.
Falco and Wolf have prevailed the "character interest gap" mainly by their Smash Brothers inclusions. Lots of people might assume Smash inclusions don't mean much in the way of the character, but I disagree. It allows us the opportunity to play as these characters, which as I've said before allows us to wonder more about that character. Wonder brings a sort of enjoyment, if you will. Or, at least wonder brings an opportunity to enjoy, for that matter. Familiarity through understanding, or at least through the wonder thereof, is the key to that enjoyment. This is why many people want Wolf back--because he has been established as "familiar" in Smash Brothers. People are used to him.

However, if we restrict characters within given parameters (like some of the other Star Fox characters within the series including Krystal), we restrict our want to wonder about these characters. Ergo, we restrict the opportunity to enjoy these characters. By "we" in this paragraph, I'm mainly referring to developers because they have the control on where the series goes (I'll elaborate more on this in a bit). However, "we" includes us video game players too. For instance, many of the restrictions, or "precautions", people have regarding Krystal resulted from the stigmas attached to her.

The people who can circumvent these restrictions are the people who can create opportunities to enjoy these characters with their imagination. This enjoyment results from their imaginative creations outside the given medium of the Star Fox series, which by the way isn't excluded to people who share these imaginative creations (hell, these experiences could even be kept within their own heads). In short, these are basically the people who are more open-minded, at least in particular areas. And that's good, more power to them. However, the reality is that's not for everyone.

There are more people out there who are practical. In this sense, they require a physical medium to experience these characters. These are the people who would most likely see Krystal as a character who has little to offer to Smash Brothers because of how little she has to offer in Star Fox. However, these people need to realize that the stigmas revolving Krystal (such as her "ruining" Star Fox due to being included in a game that deviated from the original play style, etcetera) mean absolutely nothing. Instead, it is the developers who restrict characters within the physical medium, not the characters themselves. The character has no control over the developer. In reality, Miyamoto restricted Krystal from her original intentional character. She was supposed to be a fully involved character in her original game Dinosaur Planet, and was instead shoved into a crystal and a "damsel in distress" trope in Star Fox: Adventures. We have no one to blame but the man behind the decisions, Miyamoto himself.

Taking all of the above into account, we should look to the future about what these characters can bring to Smash, instead of what they may "destroy" by being included in Smash. The latter mentality only tends to cause a lot more stress.

In the end, I think the real thing that attracts so many people to Star Fox is the emanating personality from the series, as well as the design of the characters and the universe that they exist in. From this, we derive that the series itself has an incredible amount of potential due to its possible source material. And that's why so many people support Krystal for Smash too--they see the source potential she can bring instead of what she has brought to the series.

I fully believe that Star Fox as a series needs to innovate by expanding upon what it has already created instead of trying to constantly create new things. I feel that many of us Star Fox fans have nothing to go off of, because we're constantly trying to focus on what is currently being created. All of the source potential that revolves within Star Fox has yet to be explored. It's both exciting and nerve wracking. Unfortunately, given Myamoto's track record with Star Fox, I don't think he will EVER explore this source material. He keeps on trying to build more source material than exploring what has been established.

I mean, it has gotten to the point where we can genuinely ask the question "what the hell IS Star Fox?" We know so much about it, yet we know so little about it too.
Miyamoto is just like most Nintendo employees, stubborn and arrogant, he refuses to change his ways even though those ways aren't always working, He thinks that the industry is what it was when the SNES and N64 came out, even though games with good gameplay are dragged down by weak stories

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Miyamoto is just like most Nintendo employees, stubborn and arrogant, he refuses to change his ways even though those ways aren't always working, He thinks that the industry is what it was when the SNES and N64 came out, even though games with good gameplay are dragged down by weak stories
I'm not necessarily as perturbed by the weak stories as I am by the lack of genuine character interactions. Other than that, I agree. I just don't think simply painting Miyamoto in a negative light is the right way to go about it.

Instead, I think we as fans should focus our discussion on the possibilities of Star Fox instead of its faults. I think we should recognize the faults, but not let the faults consume us. If we let the faults consume us, we'll probably continue to fight and bicker about what's "wrong" with the series, which gets us nowhere as a community.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm not necessarily as perturbed by the weak stories as I am by the lack of genuine character interactions. Other than that, I agree. I just don't think simply painting Miyamoto in a negative light is the right way to go about it.

Instead, I think we as fans should focus our discussion on the possibilities of Star Fox instead of its faults. I think we should recognize the faults, but not let the faults consume us. If we let the faults consume us, we'll probably continue to fight and bicker about what's "wrong" with it, which gets us nowhere as a community.
The series does have so much potential, Retro Studios or PlatinumGames, would be the best developer choices for Star Fox in the future, I think Hideo Kojima is the better developer than Miyamoto, Hideo adapts to changes in the industry, Kojima isn't stubborn, his Metal Gear games have been around since the NES, and as consoles advanced, and game stories advanced, Kojima adapted the Metal Gear franchise to match the trends

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
The series does have so much potential, Retro Studios or PlatinumGames, would be the best choices, I think Hideo Kojima is the better developer than Miyamoto, Hideo adapts to changes in the industry, Kojima isn't stubborn, his Metal Gear games have been around since the NES, and as consoles advanced, and game stories advanced, Kojima adapted the Metal Gear franchise to match the trends
Yeah.

If you think about it, the Star Fox series hasn't adapted well at all to the evolving games media. It's sort of stagnated.

I guess this explains why the series hasn't been selling well.

I just wish Miyamoto realized that he doesn't have to use Star Fox to innovate new gaming technology for it to be a success. He could just explore the lore already established in a genuine manner. Innovate from within the game, not from without.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Yeah.

If you think about it, the Star Fox series hasn't adapted well at all to the evolving games media. It's sort of stagnated.

I guess this explains why the series hasn't been selling well.

I just wish Miyamoto realized that he doesn't have to use Star Fox to innovate new gaming technology for it to be a success. He could just explore the lore already established in a genuine manner. Innovate from within the game, not from without.
Exactly, Bethesda did that with Fallout 3, it was both faithful to the lore of the first two games, and added to it, They added new features that rejuvenated the series, such as VATS, and as for Miyamoto, unfortunately as I said, he's too stubborn and too set in his ways, Honestly, I'd like a Star Fox game with Mass Effect-esque on foot sections, some squad based elements like in the Tom Clancy games, and some RPG elements, like upgrading Arwings

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Exactly, Bethesda did that with Fallout 3, it was both faithful to the lore of the first two games, and added to it, They added new features that rejuvenated the series, such as VATS, and as for Miyamoto, unfortunately as I said, he's too stubborn and too set in his ways, Honestly, I'd like a Star Fox game with Mass Effect-esque on foot sections, some squad based elements like in the Tom Clancy games, and some RPG elements, like upgrading Arwings
Precisely.

And then, from the things you've mentioned, you can continue to add within the game as games media evolves.

Let the technology develop as the hardware, but don't make the software entirely dependent on the success of the hardware technology, per se.

I have a bad feeling in my gut that this next Star Fox game will be all about the hardware revolving the game rather than what is in the game...

After all, why has it taken 7 years to develop the new Star Fox? It seems to me they're trying to use new technology to reintroduce the series...

Hopefully that's not the only focus--but I feel that's a pipe dream.

Time will tell.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Can you post the vid of the Orbital Gate conversations, TheRandomCities4? I can't find them to see it myself. But if Orbital Gate is suppose to be a Star Fox Assault stage, how comes Krystal isn't in the team conversations? Is Star Wolf in any of them as well by any chance?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Can you post the vid of the Orbital Gate conversations, TheRandomCities4? I can't find them to see it myself. But if Orbital Gate is suppose to be a Star Fox Assault stage, how comes Krystal isn't in the team conversations? Is Star Wolf in any of them as well by any chance?
It doesn't exist yet. I was making a prediction based off of what has been shown so far on the stage within GameXplain's gameplay of the stage. No one has managed to execute the Orbital Gate stage codecs, as far to our knowledge. We saw a glimpse on the 50 fact extravaganza video.

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07

Instead, I think we as fans should focus our discussion on the possibilities of Star Fox instead of its faults. I think we should recognize the faults, but not let the faults consume us. If we let the faults consume us, we'll probably continue to fight and bicker about what's "wrong" with the series, which gets us nowhere as a community.
It almost feels the same way with some of the other franchises that Nintendo has like Metroid or Zelda to some degree. Besides, if you look closely, Starfox, Metroid and Zelda are the only franchises from Nintendo that has a canonical approach in story wise(exception of Command which had 9 different endings). As for Miyamoto, when he included Krystal to be the "damsel in distress" in Adventures, people need to realize in a technical way that she díd played a central part of the story and that's when Fox realizes that there's more than just saving Sauria. So yes in a way, she is a important character and that has gone on in other games like Assault and Command. That is why she has established herself as a character in the SF series who has appeared in 3 games so far just like Wolf. Miyamoto and every one else at Nintendo are aware that there's a fanbase on her who like her and think of her as a welcome addition (even me) to the series. There are those who hate her for stupid reasons which leaves me baffled to a certain degree. Anyway, like it or not, you can bet that she'll be sticking around in the series and with Starfox Wii U on the horizon for next year, it's a safe bet she'll be back in it and appear in some way in SSB4 such as in the codec for the Orbital Gate Assault stage and most likely as a DLC character for a newcomer.
Since Sakurai is likely aware that SF Wii U is coming out, he could probably play along with Miyamoto and go with some Starfox related content for SSB4 later on for DLC characters. As I said before, just because a character is a trophy doesn't mean that he or she can't be a playable character. Also as I previously said, if Miyamoto and everyone else at Nintendo wanted to killed off Krystal, they would have done that a long time ago. But they haven't and I don't think that it's going to happen at all. Otherwise, we would not have seen her at all in neither in the codecs from Brawl and a trophy with her once again from the 3DS version of SSB4. It shows because of what they díd to include her in those games goes to prove that she's still part of the series.
Which is why no matter what happens, I will continúe to show my support for her in and out of Smash Bros and the Starfox series and all of us Starfox fans should do the same thing.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, we do expect Wolf to get in as DLC first, then Krystal. .
Speak for yourself. I think Wolf and Lucas are cut. And I don't care how you slice it, we aren't getting two SF characters as DLC. Unless one is a Lucina tier clone. I mean, it would be nice, but it's just really not that likely.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Speak for yourself. I think Wolf and Lucas are cut. And I don't care how you slice it, we aren't getting two SF characters as DLC. Unless one is a Lucina tier clone. I mean, it would be nice, but it's just really not that likely.
Well you never know. Let's not jump to conclusions here. It could be very possible that both Wolf and Krystal can make it in as DLC. I believe that the game can handle 4 or 5 more characters.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well you never know. Let's not jump to conclusions here. It could be very possible that both Wolf and Krystal can make it in as DLC. I believe that the game can handle 4 or 5 more characters.
Sure it can, but there are a plethora of smaller franchises, cut characters and newcomers from existing franchises that are definite candidates for newcomers.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sure it can, but there are a plethora of smaller franchises, cut characters and newcomers from existing franchises that are definite candidates for newcomers.
Exactly, not to mention potential third party DLC, such as Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil or Ryu from Ninja Gaiden or Street Fighter

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
So I just had dinner at a local Chinese restaurant today. Here's what my fortune displayed:

I had a good chortle inside the restaurant after reading this, especially with Sm4sh in mind. No doubt I got a few strange looks, but I didn't care.

The hype and speculation train never ends. Onward, towards DLC! Or transferable characters!

...or at least some clarity about some things. That would be nice.

Lets go, Krystal.

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
So I just had dinner at a local Chinese restaurant today. Here's what my fortune displayed:

I had a good chortle inside the restaurant after reading this, especially with Sm4sh in mind. No doubt I got a few strange looks, but I didn't care.

The hype and speculation train never ends. Onward, towards DLC! Or transferable characters!

...or at least some clarity about some things. That would be nice.

Lets go, Krystal.
Wow. Now that's some really good fortune there. Very impressive. Man this is like one big roller coaster where it never ends and so many possibilities that can occur in every way. Because of that, I have a very good feeling that having Krystal as a playable DLC character will work in our favor and that we finally get our star blue vixen to join the roster. BTW, I found this online so that we continue our support for her. ^^

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Guys I know this is off topic but what you do think of this Smash roster for a Smash fan game I want to start working on
The roster is mostly the same as, Smash 4, but no ROB, Dr.Mario, Lucina, or Dark Pit,
These are the newcomers, Impa, Krystal, K Rool, Rundas, Samurai Goroh, Leon Kennedy, Travis Touchdown, Simon Belmont

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Guys I know this is off topic but what you do think of this Smash roster for a Smash fan game I want to start working on
The roster is mostly the same as, Smash 4, but no ROB, Dr.Mario, Lucina, or Dark Pit,
These are the newcomers, Impa, Krystal, K Rool, Rundas, Samurai Goroh, Leon Kennedy, Travis Touchdown, Simon Belmont
I'd say it'd be better to get a working demo first before worrying about characters. So many fan projects get stuck at the "what will the final game look like" stage they forget to actually start.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm getting overexcited about the direct tomorrow. I'm hoping/thinking/believing that the end of the direct shows off Smash a little bit, and yes, Wolf and Krystal DLC are in my predictions for it.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Probably just gonna get Duck Hunt's trailer tomorrow. I'm actually more interested in what Sakurai has to say about it though--for instance, is it the last trailer, or not? He went out of his way to tell us "we're nearing the bottom of newcomer trailers" before Robin's trailer. That would have been 4 trailers ago, if Duck Hunt is shown tomorrow (Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt). He should say "oh, that's the last trailer." Or something like that.

I guess all I want is some rest, which can only be brought by clarity.

For better or for worse, DLC will never let me hear the end of it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Off topic question myself, do you think there will be an actual character reveal trailer for Mewtwo and possible future DLC characters as well? Or is it to redundant?
Depends on how expensive those sweet-ass trailers are to make. I'm guessing quite as they didn't make a dedicated intro movie.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Probably just gonna get Duck Hunt's trailer tomorrow. I'm actually more interested in what Sakurai has to say about it though--for instance, is it the last trailer, or not? He went out of his way to tell us "we're nearing the bottom of newcomer trailers" before Robin's trailer. That would have been 4 trailers ago, if Duck Hunt is shown tomorrow (Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt). He should say "oh, that's the last trailer." Or something like that.

I guess all I want is some rest, which can only be brought by clarity.

For better or for worse, DLC will never let me hear the end of it.
Yeah, I doubt we'll get any further DLC announcements. It seems a little too soon for that.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Off topic question myself, do you think there will be an actual character reveal trailer for Mewtwo and possible future DLC characters as well? Or is it to redundant?
Perhaps, I mean we're getting a DHD and we already know about him. I would say it's very possible. Maybe they'll go like, less cinematic and more information on DLC packs or something?

Top Bottom