• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure if Ganondorf can become a clone of Captain Falcon, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for Krystal to be at least similar to Fox.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The most notable difference between Falco and Fox is their movements. Falco runs slower then Fox but has a higher jump. He's also slightly heavier then Fox.

This is discounting actual move differences.

The irony being that in their respective games (Assault/Command at least) Falco is usually faster, lighter, and all around isn't as "balanced" as Fox.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Yes, that is the focus of literally everyone, nobody thinks she should be another clone, everyone wants her with her staff.
I actually prefer if she still has some clone like aspects. Each Starfox team member should have some unique aspects, but share most of the special moves. The special moves are supposed to reflect their abilities in the Arwing. The blaster represents lasers, reflector represent barrel rolls, and the up special represents using a boost. The forward move should be differentiated, much like Mario and Luigi in Melee. Fox keeps the original, Falco gets some type of small bomb instead, Wolf uses a flip forward attack (referencing how he avoided the player in 64), and Krystal should use her staff. The staff should also be able to be retracted so she can put it away when she's not using it.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Krystal is one of my most wanted characters for Smash...but realistically, she had a better chance of being playable in Brawl than she does now. Star Fox Command for the DS was released during the time Brawl was in development (which is why Fox was redesigned to match his Command look), and Krystal played a large part in that game. Right now, the last Star Fox game to come out was the Star Fox 64 remake on 3DS, which Krystal had nothing to do with. She hasn't been in a game in 7 years.

I just can't imagine Sakurai adding a 4th character to represent a series that hasn't been very relevant lately, and I especially can't imagine him cutting Falco or Wolf (both who were in Star Fox 64 3D) for Krystal. I'm just a lot less optimistic she will be in this game than I was when Brawl was being developed. Maybe if a new Star Fox game had been revealed for the Wii U at E3 as many people had hoped, and she was in it...than it probably would have been a guarantee she's be in the new Smash Bros. But as the way things stand right now, her inclusion in the roster is very unlikely. She'll have another trophy in the game, and probably make another cameo appearance in a new Star Fox themed stage along with Slippy and Peppy...but that will be it.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
She is my most wanted character for this smash

She has so much potential with her move set

1983parrothead

Smash Cadet
People want Krystal because they want more female characters, more Star Fox characters, a bo staff user and a furry. Some fans might be secretly sexually-interested and / or want a wife like her much like JoshCube and Marin from Link's Awakening.

But Nintendo / Sakurai added Falco and Wolf instead, cause they are more prominent and more similar to Fox than Krystal. Fans also wanted more secondary characters and villains.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
People want Krystal because they want more female characters, more Star Fox characters, a bo staff user and a furry. Some fans might be secretly sexually-interested and / or want a wife like her much like JoshCube and Marin from Link's Awakening.

But Nintendo / Sakurai added Falco and Wolf instead, cause they are more prominent and more similar to Fox than Krystal. Fans also wanted more secondary characters and villains.
Wolf is more important but falco being more important is debatable, krystal has alot to offer and I hope she is the next star fox character for sure. I got wolf last time so hopefully they can finish off getting in all the cool star fox characters this time.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I really wanted Krystal in Brawl, but she didn't make it. I think she still has a chance for SSB4, although it is a little more discouraging this time about her making it into the game because she did not have a game after brawl was made, thus hindering her chances for redemption. Sakurai was surprised to see that she was popular among the poll request for brawl. Maybe that made him reconsider making her for SSB4. We can only hope he put her in now. [COLLAPSE=Krystal Melee Attacks]
This is what I would imagine what Krystal's melee attacks would look like [/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE=Krystal Fire Ball]
Her fire balls could possible work as a neutral special attack[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE=Krystal Ice Blast]
This ice attack could be her side special, maybe her down special. I would imagine it would work sort of like the Ice Climbers down special[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE=Krystal Rocket Jump]
The rocket jump would obviously be her up special[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE=Krystal Force Field]
The Force Field could be a consideration for her down special, but I wouldn't want it to be a move because it's not an attack, thus less interaction[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE=Krystal Super Quake]
I think her super quake could work as a better down special, or possibly make it an overwhelming final smash[/COLLAPSE] I would imagine her speed and weight to be similar to foxes. I think she would be a really fun character to play as!

grizby2

Smash Lord
I keep seeing the thread name as "Sakurai's finest" :awesome: but i bet im not the only one.

I don't see why krystal couldn't be a playable character. she seems to fit the billfor another starfox rep.
im not to crazy about having more than 3 reps, but as long as shes well made, then i'll have no objections.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I really wanted Krystal in Brawl, but she didn't make it. I think she still has a chance for SSB4, although it is a little more discouraging this time about her making it into the game because she did not have a game after brawl was made, thus hindering her chances for redemption. Sakurai was surprised to see that she was popular among the poll request for brawl. Maybe that made him reconsider making her for SSB4. We can only hope he put her in now.
Source?

Krystal has no chance this time around unfortunately.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Would you look at that, DarkKry inadvertently admitted that Krystal had a chance at all. That's real progress.

I'd put Krystal's chances at 46%. If there's technical based roster limitations she'll be one of the first dropped out in favor of new or under represented series.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
here is the source that I was referencing when I said that: http://krystalarchive.com/
Sorry I didn't reference it in my earlier post.

that source isn't credible at all. First of all, its a fansite. Second, they even posted that they had no source to back these claims up: "I’ve even heard that Sakurai expressed surprise at the numerous requests for her in Brawl, though I was unable to find the source." (if you ask me, they probably fabricated it)

Lastly, she was requested a resounding 3 times? Thats not really much to be chipper over considering the fact that Wolf was still chosen over her even after this poll (which was made early in development). It shows that Sakurai really has no interest in adding her to this game. If we go by the information found in the Brawl character file leaks, it doesn't seem like she was considered either.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say no need to be a jerk about it but I've been here long enough.

There's not a great deal of evidence for Krystal but there was NONE for the Wii Fit Trainer so it doesn't mean much in the end anyway.

I wonder if Kilik's moveset from Soul Calibur could be an inspiration.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I'd say no need to be a jerk about it but I've been here long enough.

There's not a great deal of evidence for Krystal but there was NONE for the Wii Fit Trainer so it doesn't mean much in the end anyway.

I wonder if Kilik's moveset from Soul Calibur could be an inspiration.

when have i ever been a jerk? i simply stated some factual information. Sometimes fans will take info that isn't properly sourced and run with it. We should always point out and correct false rumors. Just sayin.

D

Deleted member

that source isn't credible at all. First of all, its a fansite. Second, they even posted that they had no source to back these claims up: "I’ve even heard that Sakurai expressed surprise at the numerous requests for her in Brawl, though I was unable to find the source." (if you ask me, they probably fabricated it)

Lastly, she was requested a resounding 3 times? Thats not really much to be chipper over considering the fact that Wolf was still chosen over her even after this poll (which was made early in development). It shows that Sakurai really has no interest in adding her to this game. If we go by the information found in the Brawl character file leaks, it doesn't seem like she was considered either.
As much as I'm against Krystal's inclusion, I will have to say that that isn't a poll.
We actually have no information about Sakurai's poll for Brawl other than Sonic being #1, Saki having "many requests" (source: Saki's page on the DOJO), and Mega Man being the 2nd most requested 3rd Party character (recently stated by Sakurai).

And from user ChronoBound, who has followed Japanese speculation since October 2007 (seemingly inbetween Sonic's reveal and Dedede's reveal, due to Dedede being speculated on), we have learned that Wolf was one of the more requested/popular characters for Brawl there, far ahead of Krystal.
For a poll we know about, the old one from NSider (which IIRC, was run by Nintendo), Wolf and Krystal were pretty much neck and neck with a slight lead for Wolf.

So Wolf getting in over Krystal makes a whole lot of sense.

And even though I am anti-Krystal, I have to say that if there was a new Star Fox character in Smash 4, it will be her.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
As much as I'm against Krystal's inclusion, I will have to say that that isn't a poll.
We actually have no information about Sakurai's poll for Brawl other than Sonic being #1, Saki having "many requests" (source: Saki's page on the DOJO), and Mega Man being the 2nd most requested 3rd Party character (recently stated by Sakurai).

And from user ChronoBound, who has followed Japanese speculation since October 2007 (seemingly inbetween Sonic's reveal and Dedede's reveal, due to Dedede being speculated on), we have learned that Wolf was one of the more requested/popular characters for Brawl there, far ahead of Krystal.
For a poll we know about, the old one from NSider (which IIRC, was run by Nintendo), Wolf and Krystal were pretty much neck and neck with a slight lead for Wolf.

So Wolf getting in over Krystal makes a whole lot of sense.

And even though I am anti-Krystal, I have to say that if there was a new Star Fox character in Smash 4, it will be her.
that information about the "poll" didn't come from me. It came from the Krystal fansite someone used to source some inaccurate information about Sakurai's statement. I should have known that rest of the information about her "popularity" would inaccurate as well (or in this case, spun to make Krystal's chances look good)

Thank you for pointing all this out. I don't really see the point in claiming how oh-so-popular a character is using fake information. Wolf has actually been in the pre-gamecube games that sold alot of copies. Obviously people will recognize him more.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Indeed the NSider Forums were Nintendo-run. In fact, they used to be found at www.forum.nintendo.com. Besides that, ignoring fan speculation and the Brawl files, it should probably be mentioned that the idea of Krystal being in Smash was at least directly nodded to in one of Fox's secretive taunts in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I cannot recall the exact quote, but I am sure that many of you know the one I am referring to.

It might not be much, but it at least signals that she is on the Super Smash Bros. radar, if not considered a strong candidate in the developers' eyes. And if she does end up in Smash IV despite not even an attempt to put her in Brawl, this wouldn't be the first time the developers did such a thing after nodding to the idea in the previous game: Pitt's Melee trophy description ends with "Will he ever fight again?"

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Indeed the NSider Forums were Nintendo-run. In fact, they used to be found at www.forum.nintendo.com. Besides that, ignoring fan speculation and the Brawl files, it should probably be mentioned that the idea of Krystal being in Smash was at least directly nodded to in one of Fox's secretive taunts in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I cannot recall the exact quote, but I am sure that many of you know the one I am referring to.
isn't that always the case :/ Either source it or don't say it all. It doesn't do much for you argument.

It might not be much, but it at least signals that she is on the Super Smash Bros. radar, if not considered a strong candidate in the developers' eyes. And if she does end up in Smash IV despite not even an attempt to put her in Brawl, this wouldn't be the first time the developers did such a thing after nodding to the idea in the previous game: Pitt's Melee trophy description ends with "Will he ever fight again?"
there is no signal of anything. I've never heard the developers mention a thing about her. Shes barely requested in Japan. Same with Slippy and Leon apparently. There will be no 4th star fox rep. They're a flop series now with no new game.

D

Deleted member

The quote had been brought up multiple times in this thread already.

In one of the conversations during Falco's Smash Taunt, Fox points out that Falco is giving his all into the fight, to which Krystal points out that she finds it strange that she hasn't seen some of his opponents before, followed by Fox mentioning how "everyone is in on the fight". This is followed up by Peppy getting excited and claiming that he wants to join in the fight, which Slippy tells him he's too old to fight so the fight is his instead, which Krystal retorts with claiming she's the only one of the three than can pull through in such combat.

Direct quotation:

Fox: Looks like we made it to Corneria. Falco sure is a sticking it to 'em out there.
Krystal: Yes, but don't you find it... odd? I've never even seen some of his opponents before.
Fox: Well it is a brawl, after all. Everyone's in on the fight!
Peppy: That gives me itching for some action. I want in!
Slippy: No way! Old-timers like you ride the bench. This fight's mine!
Krystal: What are you two thinking? I'm the only one who can come through in a fight like this!

It honestly does not mean much. It's bravado on Krystal's part. Much like how Mr. Resetti sometimes calls out the brawlers and claims essentially that he will kick all their asses with ease.

And at the same time, Leon of Star Wolf wants to join in too, though for possibly other reasons (i.e. getting tortured by Wolf in combat).

That being said, Krystal's trophy description mentions her as a "valuable member in combat", though that also doesn't mean much, as it is probably referring to pilot combat.

EDIT:
Though if I'm going to be fair, at this point, Krystal's chance is a deadlocked 50/50. It really depends on whether or not Sakurai is willing to include a new Star Fox character.
And before someone like shortie starts ******** to me about how a blind hater like me shouldn't even be posting here, I'm back to my initial stance of indifference bordering on "would rather not have". I've chosen to not let the blind fanboys alter logical judgment.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
The quote had been brought up multiple times in this thread already.

In one of the conversations during Falco's Smash Taunt, Fox points out that Falco is giving his all into the fight, to which Krystal points out that she finds it strange that she hasn't seen some of his opponents before, followed by Fox mentioning how "everyone is in on the fight". This is followed up by Peppy getting excited and claiming that he wants to join in the fight, which Slippy tells him he's too old to fight so the fight is his instead, which Krystal retorts with claiming she's the only one of the three than can pull through in such combat.

Direct quotation:

Fox: Looks like we made it to Corneria. Falco sure is a sticking it to 'em out there.
Krystal: Yes, but don't you find it... odd? I've never even seen some of his opponents before.
Fox: Well it is a brawl, after all. Everyone's in on the fight!
Peppy: That gives me itching for some action. I want in!
Slippy: No way! Old-timers like you ride the bench. This fight's mine!
Krystal: What are you two thinking? I'm the only one who can come through in a fight like this!

It honestly does not mean much. It's bravado on Krystal's part. Much like how Mr. Resetti sometimes calls out the brawlers and claims essentially that he will kick all their ***** with ease.

And at the same time, Leon of Star Wolf wants to join in too, though for possibly other reasons (i.e. getting tortured by Wolf in combat).

That being said, Krystal's trophy description mentions her as a "valuable member in combat", though that also doesn't mean much, as it is probably referring to pilot combat.

EDIT:
Though if I'm going to be fair, at this point, Krystal's chance is a deadlocked 50/50. It really depends on whether or not Sakurai is willing to include a new Star Fox character.
And before someone like shortie starts *****ing to me about how a blind hater like me shouldn't even be posting here, I'm back to my initial stance of indifference bordering on "would rather not have". I've chosen to not let the blind fanboys alter logical judgment.

Multiple times? :surprised: People are really reaching for anything aren't they?

Yes. I agree. It seems as if fans, yet again, are looking too far into it. What does it really prove? Especially when two other characters have stated it as well.

Anyone who is 100% nuts over a character isn't going to see logic tbh. Why do you think some people were able to get away with posting unsourced information? If you see someone claiming some ridiculous things about Krystal's popularity, you point it out.

Everything i've said is pretty much from a realistic perspective.

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
Oi, she may not be absolutely in, but she's nowhere near out. She still stands a good chance of getting in, and adding her would finish her series entirely.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Finish the series? But what about Androssssssss?

(kidding of course. Putting him in as a playable character is completely ridiculous. Wouldn't mind seeing him as a boss battle, though...)

I do agree that, if Krystal got in, we'd never see any more Star Fox characters added in ever. Which would be totally fine.

D

Deleted member

I'm satisfied now, really.
And not because Krystal isn't in, but because Star Fox is fine with three characters at this point in time. And the three chosen couldn't be better picked.

As a 4th character, I wouldn't really care about Krystal. It may an overdose of Stawr Fawx, but not much to be upset with.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As a huge star fox fan I wont be satisfied till fox, wolf and krystal make it in.

:falco:

"What am I? Overcooked noodles?"

Really, I'd be fine with Krystal as long as other characters got in first.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
How disappointed would people be if she got in without her staff as a pretty straightforward clone character?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
How disappointed would people be if she got in without her staff as a pretty straightforward clone character?
I'd be glad to see that happen just to watch the huge amount of butthurt due to the staff not getting in.

Nobody cares about Krystal anyway, it's all about the stupid twig.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'd be glad to see that happen just to watch the huge amount of butthurt due to the staff not getting in.

Nobody cares about Krystal anyway, it's all about the stupid twig.

I think a fair number of people do care about Krystal herself at this point, but... yeah.

All I care about is the staff-based moveset. I'd be... annoyed, to say the least. Unless they just threw her in as an alt-costume and put very little work into it. Which, I know, most people here would rage against, but... eh.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I prefer for her to at least have the same basic moves (blaster, reflector, and fire based recovery) as the other Star Fox reps. I would not at all be disappointed if she did not have her staff.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Omg that would be awful, its bad enough falco feels samey to fox but not krystal :sadeyes:

:falco:

"What am I? Overcooked noodles?"

Really, I'd be fine with Krystal as long as other characters got in first.
Sry falco I like you in star fox alot but sakurai really needs to distinguish your moveset more and flesh it out more, then I might talk you up.

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
The thing that distinguishes Krystal is the staff. The others (aside from Fox) have only been in arwing and blaster games. Krystal is without a doubt the only one who can easily get rid of becoming a clone because of that important tool. She could still have clone-ish properties, such as a reflecting Down B. But the move would be better suited to her staff move, Quake.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm pretty sure most people who like Krystal, don't care about the staff. Sure, it's a plus but, like every other character's fan base, Krystal's fans just want to see her playable.

For someone who "hates" Krystal, you sure seem to love sticking around a thread dedicated to her ;)

Top Bottom