• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be interesting to incorperrate a mixture of staff-play and gun-play into her moveset to kindof mesh her appearances. Make her standards moves more staff/melee-based and her specials more gun/range-based. For example, her normal AAA would just be a standard combo. Her Tilts or Smashes could add elemental effects and such, like FSmash is a staff attack with a freeze chance or the FTilt could spray a slow icy mist in the weapon trail that lingers a bit and causes damage over time. Then you have her Specials (mostly from Assault) such as her FSpecial would be the Gatling gun: after its out you can repeatedly press B to continuously shoot until it overheats, or a neutral B that throws a grenade or shoots off a Sniper Rifle (to differentiate her gun entirely from the other 3 SF characters) which could have a longer and quicker firing range but has an extremely long reload between shots. Her DSmash could do a somewhat tricky move where she jumps diagonally back into the air and fires a Homing Launcher shot diagonally down forward, or it could simply be just a Barrier which unlike the others' reflective shields it could simply just absorb the projectile and dissipate. Her USmash could simply be a Jetpack, but it rises on its own and allows only for horizontal movement during and cannot be canceled.

For the FS, it could be something like the Demon Launcher or something like that one bomb in Assault that you set and it shoots rainbow colored rockets into the air that come back down and assault the entire area.
I do really like your ideas, it is possible for Krystal to use other weapons along with her staff which would be interesting, however, I feel that the weapons you listed: Grenades, Sniper Rifle, Gatling gun, Homing Launcher, ect. should be apart of Wolf's moveset. Even though Wolf first appeared in Star Fox 64, Star Fox Assault was when he got a much bigger role in the series. Thus, why I think the weapons from Star Fox Assault fit him better (especially since he was the best character in multiplayer).
I've seen people assume that Wolf was implemented late in Brawls development process since he wasn't a part of the Subspace Emissary story line. I suppose if the Developers had more time they could have given Wolf a different moveset in Brawl.
One thing I wonder is if Sakurai ever considered Krystal for Brawl, but chose Wolf instead because Krystal's Development process would take longer due to her having a unique moveset.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Theres an ongoing trend of them mashing new characters in at the last moment as clones because of lack of time. Either they need to step it the **** up or management needs to stop rushing them. Likely both.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Theres an ongoing trend of them mashing new characters in at the last moment as clones because of lack of time. Either they need to step it the **** up or management needs to stop rushing them. Likely both.
I don't know if it can be helped...but, yeah all possible effort should be put in to smash

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai were to replace one of the 2 Stafox reps with Krystal, who would you choose?
Falco or Wolf?
The Krystal haters aren't too fond of this question, but whatever...

I would cut Falco and here's why:
-Wolf is a villain
-Wolf's moveset differs more from Fox's than Falco
-Wolf was originally intended for Melee
-Krystal role on the Star Fox team is just as important as Falco's (I'm not going to judge whether her role on the team is more or less important than Falco's assuming Command is non-cannon)
-Krystal and Falco are both Blue (we wouldn't want to overload the roster with blue characters :troll:)

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Krystal could have a great unique moveset using her staff, the Gatling Gun the Grenades, the Homing Launcher, and her Final Smash could be something involving the Krazoa Spirits. She was teased for the next game in one of Falco's Lylat Cruise secret taunts, as evidenced by this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcGc2YiHms

thats not evidence. Far from it >_>

It's never too late for Krystal!!!
I'd say it is. She missed the ship in Brawl. With no new game, its looking pretty grim.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pit got in Brawl and before Brawl, there wasn't a new Kid Icarus for 21 years
Sakurai typically designates a specific spot on the roster for retro characters, they wouldn't have to meet the same standards a character like Krystal would.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sakurai typically designates a specific spot on the roster for retro characters, they wouldn't have to meet the same standards a character like Krystal would.

True, but Krystal was the most popular female character in the West for Smash Bros voting, but for some odd reason she didn't get in, I have a gut feeling that Falco will be cut and replaced by Krystal in SSB4, Wolf will still be in, just with a modified moveset, because Smash needs more Baddies

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
True, but Krystal was the most popular female character in the West for Smash Bros voting

Source for this voting please?

but for some odd reason she didn't get in I have a gut feeling that Falco will be cut and replaced by Krystal in SSB4, Wolf will still be in, just with a modified moveset, because Smash needs more Baddies

You seem to be a bit... misinformed. Like you seem to think she was guaranteed to be in Brawl?

Ridley was far more popular in the west and more important to Metroid than Krystal is to Starfox. And yet he still was made a boss only in Brawl. Being "popular" in the west does not guarantee them to be in.

I would also like to point out that Krystal is barely requested in japan (the game is made there) which does indeed lower her chances. And if you couple this with Star Fox's recent sales being less than stellar. Chances for more reps for the series in general are unlikely. Star Fox's latest release (Star Fox 64 3D) is a remake of an iconic game that does NOT include her but includes Falco and Wolf. Right now shes is not a relevant or important enough Nintendo character that should be added (or replacing anyone really) in Smash Bros. These are plenty of reasons why the odds are against her. I don't see them adding any secondary characters this time around. Especially when you look at Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, or Megaman. All these newcomers are main characters of their own game and add a new series. Not to mention they contributed a lot to Nintendo. Krystal does not fit any of these criteria. Point blank. Shes not gonna be in.

And "smash needs more baddies"? Usually i hear the female version of that phrase.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
:mad:

Source for this voting please?

You seem to be a bit... misinformed. Like you seem to think she was guaranteed to be in Brawl?

Ridley was far more popular in the west and more important to Metroid than Krystal is to Starfox. And yet he still was made a boss only in Brawl. Being "popular" in the west does not guarantee them to be in.

I would also like to point out that Krystal is barely requested in japan (the game is made there) which does indeed lower her chances. And if you couple this with Star Fox's recent sales being less than stellar. Chances for more reps for the series in general are unlikely. Star Fox's latest release (Star Fox 64 3D) is a remake of an iconic game that does NOT include her but includes Falco and Wolf. Right now shes is not a relevant or important enough Nintendo character that should be added (or replacing anyone really) in Smash Bros. These are plenty of reasons why the odds are against her. I don't see them adding any secondary characters this time around. Especially when you look at Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, or Megaman. All these newcomers are main characters of their own game and add a new series. Not to mention they contributed a lot to Nintendo. Krystal does not fit any of these criteria. Point blank. Shes not gonna be in.

And "smash needs more baddies"? Usually i hear the female version of that phrase.
Yeah, but Smash Bros is a sausage fest, and Krystal would fill the female character slot nicely, YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT A UNPOPULAR CHARACTER TRY THE WII FIT TRAINER, SHE WASN'T EVEN AN AFTERTHOUGHT UNTIL SHE WAS ANNOUNCED FOR SSB4, MOST PEOPLE WANTED TOM NOOK OR KK SLIDER BUT NO, WE GOT A CHARACTER THAT BARELY ANYONE WANTED, AND HOW ABOUT ROB, HOW MANY PEOPLE WANTED HIM IN BRAWL.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
True, but Krystal was the most popular female character in the West for Smash Bros voting, but for some odd reason she didn't get in, I have a gut feeling that Falco will be cut and replaced by Krystal in SSB4, Wolf will still be in, just with a modified moveset, because Smash needs more Baddies
Perhaps it could be because one: the west, and two, because female characters don't get any special consideration, they're treated the same as male characters. Sure Krystal could've made it in, but she didn't, and since then her series has, other than a remake, done nothing. If Falco didn't get cut when Krystal was at her peak, and when several other clones did, he's not going to get replaced now. He wasn't even on the chopping block like most other veteran clones, Sakurai clearly wanted him included.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Yeah, but Smash Bros is a sausage fest, and Krystal would fill the female character slot nicely, YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT A UNPOPULAR CHARACTER TRY THE WII FIT TRAINER, SHE WASN'T EVEN AN AFTERTHOUGHT UNTIL SHE WAS ANNOUNCED FOR SSB4, MOST PEOPLE WANTED TOM NOOK OR KK SLIDER BUT NO, WE GOT A CHARACTER THAT BARELY ANYONE WANTED, AND HOW ABOUT ROB, HOW MANY PEOPLE WANTED HIM IN BRAWL.
To be fair, R.O.B. and Wii Fit Trainer are special cases. R.O.B. is a retro character, while in both the case of both R.O.B. and Wii Fit Trainer, Sakurai chose them to be surprise characters, he likes to add a surprise character or two. He brings back franchises by putting a surprise character from it, as well as some other content in relation them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
ROB and WFT might have been surprising characters, but they weren't chosen solely for the shock value of their inclusion. WFT is the representative of a hugely succesful Nintendo series and ROB was an integral part of Nintendo's history.

Krystal can't claim anything close to this, and the idea of a "female slot" is as ridiculous as any other designated "slot" other than perhaps retro. People think Sakurai has a lot more fairly-arbitrary categories than he really does.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Perhaps it could be because one: the west, and two, because female characters don't get any special consideration, they're treated the same as male characters. Sure Krystal could've made it in, but she didn't, and since then her series has, other than a remake, done nothing. If Falco didn't get cut when Krystal was at her peak, and when several other clones did, he's not going to get replaced now. He wasn't even on the chopping block like most other veteran clones, Sakurai clearly wanted him included.

I thought Sakurai wanted less clones, but with the return of Toon Link, I am really questioning Sakurai's logic, Well maybe Krystal could be West exclusive DLC, that's a fair compromise, GUESS WHAT SMASH SELLS MORE IN THE WEST 8,236,703 sales in the West vs 2.52 million in Japan, I added the American and European sales together, All of these numbers are from VGCHARTZ.com

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Krystal will be the ULTIMATE surprise newcomer!!!

When she is revealed we'll all check the Smash Bros. website to see her face and She'll be like "SURPRISE!!!" and we'll be like "YAY KRYSTAL!!!!"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I thought Sakurai wanted less clones, but with the return of Toon Link, I am really questioning Sakurai's logic,
Yet you didn't question his logic when Falco returned in Brawl? People that listen to Sakurai's words and ignore his actions are fairly misguided anyway.

Well maybe Krystal could be West exclusive DLC, that's a fair compromise,
Why not add a character more popular in both the west and the east? That's even more fair, more people get what they want.

GUESS WHAT SMASH SELLS MORE IN THE WEST 8,236,703 sales in the West vs 2.52 million in Japan, I added the American and European sales together, All of these numbers are from VGCHARTZ.com
VGChartz is rarely correct. Even if it is though, it's pretty clear Sakurai prioritizes the east above the west.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace

Smash Bros is a "sausage fest" because in general there are very few Nintendo games where a female is the main character. Unlike other fighting games like "Dead or Alive" where they can adjust the male-to-female ratio by simply creating characters, with Smash bros they have to make this game of allstars by taking existing characters from Nintendo series. Its unfortunate but thats how life is.

Yes its true that Wii Fit Trainer was barely requested but she has other things to back her up. Like relevancy and being the main character of one of the best selling Wii games helps.

I'm just surprised they haven't added Dixie Kong given she has starred in her own games and is popular.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Yet you didn't question his logic when Falco returned in Brawl? People that listen to Sakurai's words and ignore his actions are fairly misguided anyway.

[quote="N3ON, post: 15912763, member: 85415]
Why not add a character more popular in both the west and the east? That's even more fair, more people get what they want.

[quote="N3ON, post: 15912763, member: 85415] VGChartz is rarely correct. Even if it is though, it's pretty clear Sakurai prioritizes the east above the west.
I was 9 years old when Brawl came out, I didn't even have any type of game console back then, hell I didn't even have a PC back then.
I said West EXCLUSIVE meaning she is only available in places like Canada or The US
Well Sakurai is like most Japanese people, too nationalistic and too prideful about his own country to consider the fact that Smash sells more in the West, it's a bad business strategy, if you ask me

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was 9 years old when Brawl came out, I didn't even have any type of game console back then, hell I didn't even have a PC back then.
And that prevented you from retroactively thinking about it... why?

I said West EXCLUSIVE meaning she is only available in places like Canada or The US

Well Sakurai is like most Japanese people, too nationalistic and too prideful about his own country to consider the fact that Smash sells more in the West, it's a bad business strategy, if you ask me
Yeah. That's why Smash sells so poorly, right? :rolleyes:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't classify Krystal as a character who sells the game, however, the Inclusion of the Wii Fit Trainer does make me question if Sakurai is trying to tap in to the casual gamers. Among the popular character choices for newcomers this time around I think Krystal is one of the most recognizable, of course not as recognizable as Mario or Link, but I'd be willing to say more so than Ridley.
Sakurai does not prioritize Japan anymore, and even so the roster is not based solely on his decision, but on the development team as well even though he may have a great impact on the roster.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hmmm... It seems whenever the news gets quiet this thread flares up.

Krystal: Forever Controversial

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Krystal wasn't in, would it be a dealbreaker for you? Simultaneously, if Krystal was in, would it be a deal sealer?

What if Krystal got in over Wolf?

No. No.

And I'd be ticked but not enough to sway me from buying the game.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
If Krystal wasn't in, would it be a dealbreaker for you? Simultaneously, if Krystal was in, would it be a deal sealer?

I'm buying the game no matter what, but if Krystal got in it would be all the better.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

No on the first question. I want her in, but not THAT badly.

And on the second question, also no. I'm buying the game no matter who gets in at this point.

And on the final question, I'd be rather angry.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

I'd be grateful if we forget about the trainwreck that became the Star Fox series. The more we back away from it the better.

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
Although I would like Krystal playable, I see no reason for them putting in a fourth Star Fox character. I honestly think the chances of Krystal being put in are pretty slim.

I would like to be proven wrong on this, but I see no evidence as to why she would be a playable character.

Top Bottom