• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Calgary, AB

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
ENTRY FEES? INCENTIVES FOR LEVI TO PLAY LIKE A GOD? I love it.
I dunno a good team mate for pikachu, Sid and I tried: fox & pika, Samus & pika, and c falcon & pika. we didn't do so well in the red deer tournament. Marth is like peach in teams, he goes with anything. I thought C falcon was like that too, untill Sid and I teamed up. =]

Ermine

Smash Ace
It's like grade 8 all over again...

Also

"The telephone number above rings straight to my cell phone from a Calgary area code and I accept calls 24 hours a day...even from total strangers...so if you find yourself having nightmares at 4 in the morning and waking up in a cold sweat because you're not sure whether you can counterpick Rainbow Cruise at the next bi-weekly or not, have no fear! Just give me a ring and I'll roll haphazardly out of bed to answer your call. Maybe. "

That was hilarious... X_X...

Also can someone let me know how the picking works... first stage is random... then loser choses then loser if it goes that far picks again?

Also what are the stages you can pick after you lost?

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
MLG says that at the beginning of a set each player gets to ban a stage that is not neutral nor is it already banned.

After that they may call double blind picks [pretty much no one does this stuff btw].

The first match is a randomly chosen stage from the neutral stages, and If one of the players doesn't like it I hear they're allowed to call for a redo or some stupid shit, no one does that either.

Anyways loser of the first match then tells the other person the stage they are going to pick, then go back to the character menu, then the winner of the last match changes characters accordingly, followed by the loser changing characters.

Bam! second match starts.

Pretty much do the same thing for the third match.

If dave's stupid rule is on you can not counter pick a stage that has already been played, or for a lighter version: [I think] you can't counter pick a stage you had already won on.

We aren't MLG and MLG doesn't even support ssbm anymore :3
If these don't sound right: Randall has some "may or may not be updated recently Pro Impact Rules" it includes stages, but for a general idea, here's phanna's stage diagram

The top half means 1v1, the bottom means 2v2. Green is neutral meaning it is on the random list, yellow is counterpickable, and red is banned.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Confirmed!

I think you'll be surpised at what a little money can do to motivate people... Glad to hear you're taking a good cut, Randall. Well... not you, personaly. It's all for the good of the Smash community in the end, right?

Randall getting that new, super-powerful video card for his computer is for the good of the Smash community... right? ;)

kithkin

Smash Champion
aw ****, now i'll never get to win one, john will have too much reason to ditto me.

oh well i'll get ditto practice other than levi.

aswell as lose more money than I already am.

kithkin

Smash Champion
wait what?

edit: my above post and the losing of money was refering to me not being capable of saving money and not having a job.

but still, what?

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
BUT WILL HE PLAY MARIO? good question.

Are people coming to my house tomorrow? Brad keeps telling me Riley is having birthday party of smash or something, but I haven't heard of it, nor has Riley mentioned it to me. I don't think it should be a problem if people come, but I'd like to know. Again, I never heard anything about it.

kithkin

Smash Champion
arrg we never said brathdart party, i just said i'm coming over tommorow and we need to figure out whats happening.

also sorry if i get pissed at someone real soon, im in a not so great mood.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Pecunia non olet

So, second doesn't get anything? Hmm... :ohwell:
These are small tournaments and I toyed around with a few different numbers. When you get right down to it, an $80 pot already only awards the winner $40. If I went with like a 75/25 for the pot, that's 10 bucks for second place and any higher and you really start cutting into the remaining 30 for the winner. I mean, transportation costs to get to and from the tournament is probably about 15 dollars anyway, never mind the cost of all the goodies that people occasionally bring. I don't want this tournament to cost the players anymore than it already does.

And remember, these numbers are working based on the assumption that we have a full 16-player tournament. Usually (at least what was usual in the past), we had quite a bit less, between 10 and 12. Even if I divided the main pot in HALF (which would be clearly unfair to the winner), then both first and second place would still only get like 12 bucks in a ten-person tournament. I suppose we could refund the entry fee to the runner-up, but really, what's the point?

The main thing I should clarify is that before the entry fee, these tournaments had nothing to do with the money or the prizes. And if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to keep it that way; "winner takes all" is just easier for me to do mathematically as well.

Besides, second place does reward you in the form of 50 Silver PICs. My most recent fear with implementing entry fees at all was that doing so would effectively replace PICs and all the work I put into setting those up. :psycho: We'll see how it pans out...

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I feel alot better betting my PICs away than my actual coinage.
PICs have thier place, no matter the other rewards.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
That reminds me, I CHALLANGE ALL OF YOU TO THOSE 5 **** MONEY MATCHES. They can take place at my house, tomorrow. Or at the biweekly, maybe.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
PIC Money Matches will be extremely easy to do at the next bi-weekly. If I come up with the initiative to drive south tomorrow, maybe they'll be just as easy then.

In the interim, be sure not to challenge any old Spanish guys with expendable children to a 5 **** money match or else you might end up with an awful lot of child support payments to make in the much-nearer-future-than-you-thought.

kithkin

Smash Champion
hahaha levi, you already know i accept. and in such respect, i challenge chad to a 20 silver pic money match. (set perferably, but match if not)

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
In the interim, be sure not to challenge any old Spanish guys with expendable children to a 5 **** money match or else you might end up with an awful lot of child support payments to make in the much-nearer-future-than-you-thought.
I had to do a Google search to find out what you meant by that. I guess it's a good thing I'm not familiar with alot of racial slurs.

Lets just call them PICs for now, eh? Everyone knows you mean the silver ones, cuz you're not prying away my hard-earned Goldies!

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Well I wanted it to be pronounced Spice, but I dunno you guys all seem to be down for ****, but since it's pic now, the alternative would be pronounced something like "pike," which sounds kinda like "pie." Can we pronounce PIC as pie?

Wait what about pronouncing it as "spike"? I kinda like that idea.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
CCSC Roster Updated!

www.proimpact.ca/roster/

Alright, so I added all the Calgary profiles that have been submitted so far as well as updated the results so now we FINALLY have updated standings after a long hiatus of living with the results of one tournament. :)

The main thing that's missing from the profiles right now is the main character pictures, of which I believe only my profile has one. I intend to do a few of them tomorrow as well as begin adding some of the smashers from the other provinces.

Also, this is what we'll be seeing at the bi-weeklies:

It's mostly straightforward. The boxes in the bottom left you can use to tally the losses for longers sets as you go and add the number on the line beside it. 2 signatures and you're good to go.

You can take a few copies home as you see fit, or even print it off. A computer's not always handy when you're smashing so having these on-hand allows you to keep track of PIC Money Matches to be entered online later. Or bring completed forms to the next bi-weekly; whateva!

What's on the horizon at proimpact.ca...

• With any luck, the website will be officially ported to the actual www.proimpact.ca domain name by....uhmmm...next Monday? Yes, the Monday after the bi-weekly. Maybe.
  • More integration with other Central Canada smashers including Lethbridge folks and even the community from Winnipeg. Odds are this may actually ultimately evolve into a message board interface, but we'll see.
  • nealdt's tia tournament archive (located here) will have Pro Impact BI-WEEKLY Smash added to its roster and previous tournament results will be added to both the archive and proimpact.ca as well.
  • The highlight reels and Pro Impact Players-produced videos will be going up in the media section pretty soon.

kithkin

Smash Champion
that forms looking sweet randall.

edit i should have a bunch of updates to my profile soon for the roster. (its looking awesome by the way)

xpiritflare

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah. I won't be making it to your house for the smashhing today Levi <_< (as if you hadn't noticed) ... I woke up too late to bother hehe.

Randall, I noticed there isn't a 'no preference' option or something like that for controller slots in making the profile. That's what I would've used, cause honestly, I don't mind what slot I'm in.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
The reason for that is because your port preference ultimately defines the color palette that the profile is written in, but I'll make a note of that. This is still a very early version of the roster as a whole and there's lots of little bugs like that to work out.

For example, M pointed out to me that I completely ignored Roy! :) Roy wasn't on ANY of the character select lists in the versions of the form that most of you have filled out. Poor guy really does get shafted.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Guys the next biweekly is on Easter Sunday, I can't make it, nor can Riley.

FUCK, DOUBLE POST! The stupid pikachu is making my browser lag >=[

Top Bottom