• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro smashers diet

jugfingers

Smash Champion
I am interested in the diet of top smashers and their general lifestyle habits which may influence their performance in the game of smash.

anyone can post what they eat here but, if your not a top level smasher I don't really care, and neither does anyone else probably, but feel free to tell us anyways.

now alcohol is widely considered to be mango's kryptonite

but aside from getting gooned and having a terrible hangover, or being severly intoxicated I think that it possibly or even probably aids in his abilities due to its blood thinning properties which can aid in circulation and hence enhanced or easier finger movement.

I don't drink alcohol myself but I do recognize it's medicinal properties

anyways I think it is something that should be noted if you are a top smasher and you do drink.

so if you reply to this thread please be as comprehensive as possible Quantites that are consumed, what you feel your metabolism is, how well you do in school, sports you participate in, or general level of physical activity.
and if you can even go into detail about your habits as a child that would also be appreciated.

some players such as silentspectre or darkrain are unlikely to reply to this thread so if you know what they eat or their habits, if they practice king fu or yogic meditation, ingestion of plant based tryptamines.. please be so kind as to enlighten us.

Players that I am specifically interested in

Mango
Silentspectre
Zhu
Forward
Axe
DaShizwiz
Lambchops
Silentwolf
Darkrain
Lovage
M2k
PC Chris
Jman
Kage
Raynex
Cactuar
Colbol
Lucky
Dr PP
Amsah
Armada
Calle W
Jeapie
Eken
Cpt Jack
Bombsoldier
Aniki
Boss
Linguini

john!

Smash Hero
Three days before every tournament, I begin a strict regimen of TGI Fridays Bruschetta Chicken Pasta, French Winter Black Truffles, and Burgundian Pinot Noir. Also creamed corn.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Alright, I guess I'll go ahead and post my eating habits and stuff lol. Well, here goes!

First off, just for some generic information, I'm a Blaxican (half African American, half Mexican). I turned 19 years old on April 7th. I'm pretty tall and kinda slim. I'm about 6'0" and weigh somewhere around 160 lbs. I'm actually a pretty healthy guy (I think). I don't have any diagnosed diseases or allergies or anything like that.

Now as for my eating habits:

I don't really have a set time when I eat, I pretty much just eat whenever I'm hungry (which might not be the best idea, but it's never caused me any problems lol). Although, I do try my best to make sure that I don't eat too much or too little, and I try to have a balanced diet. These past few months, a typical day would probably be eating a bowl of cereal or something small when I get up, then probably some fast food (like from Wendy's or something) in the middle of the day, then whatever might be cooked by my sister/father at night (which is usually something more healthy. This is where I get in my vegetables for the day lol). I'm very flexible with my eating habits though. I can pretty much eat at any time and I'm not too picky (although I am picky at times).

I'm pretty sanitary. I absoultely hate drinking/eating after someone, or eating something that someone else has touched. I will still drink/eat it at times when I don't have any money and I'm starving/dehydrated, but I really hate doing it. I don't like getting myself dirty. I shower nearly every morning. I always try to keep my hands away from my face too, because I don't like spreading any dirt and stuff that might've gotten on my hands. Don't worry guys, I'm not like crazy or anything lol. I don't have to use some sort of cloth every time I touch something and stuff like that. I guess I'm just slightly more sanitary than most people, but it's honestly no big deal.

I don't smoke or drink alcohol, or anything related. I never have, and I plan to keep it that way for the rest of my life. My brother and sister's lives have been greatly affected by this, and I've learned from their mistakes.

Sadly, I don't get as much physical activity as I used to. Now, pretty much the only exercise I get is doing these little 15 minute exercises every night. I used to do karate with my father (my father is a Tang Soo Do instructor), and play racquetball, but all that stopped ever since I moved to Phoenix AZ (which was about 5 months ago). I'll find a way to get more physical activity soon enough lol. But basically, I'm not very strong, but I'm not scrawny either.

For school... I just graduated High School last year. Most of my grades were pretty much A's, B's, and C's. I did have the occasional D, but I grew up in kind of a crappy high school anyways, no offense lol. It was hard to find anyone who didn't have an F on their report card (most people were failing most their classes). Now I'm a freshman in college. Overall, I'm mostly just your average guy I think. With the exception that... I spend most of my time smashing lol. When I'm not at school or working, I'm most likely either smashing or doing something related (SWF, watching vids, etc.). At the least, I'll be playing some sort of video game (Pokemon, Stepmania).

Oh yeah, one other thing... I kinda have a crazy sleep schedule o.O

Most of the time, I don't go to sleep until around 4 or 5 AM. (gasp). Why am I up so early? Well... honestly I'm most likely just watching Melee vids or just reading a bunch of stuff here on Smashboards. I will usually wake up sometime around 1 or 2pm lmao! So... I get plenty of sleep, but just not at the right time haha.

This might sound kinda weird, but Melee is a major part of my life. It's pretty much my hobby. You know how some people play basketball as a hobby? Or people that like to draw? Or sing? Dance? etc... Honestly, I don't see Melee as any different. It's something that I love to do, and something that I want to become one of the best in the world at (maybe one day, THE best in the world). Some people tell me that I play too much, and I should find myself a hobby or something... But they just can't understand that Melee IS my hobby. It's no different from a singer who loves to sing, or an artist that loves to draw. I'm just a smasher who loves to smash (Melee to be exact :)).

...Sorry I got kinda off subject lol. Basically, as far as my diet goes:

I have somewhat of a balanced diet
I get plenty of sleep, although I stay up late and wake up late
I don't get much physical exercise (anymore)
I have decent grades in school
I never drink/smoke

I play Melee A LOT. If I'm not playing, I'm most likely either online reading/watching something relating to Melee, or thinking about it. I think about Melee a lot, which is how I (and I'm sure everyone) come up with new combos/strategies.

Before a tournament, I honestly have no changes in diet or anything like that. I don't do anything to prepare for a tournament other than just warm up by playing the game (and wear my lucky shoe shirt).

If anyone is wondering how I was able to get to the skill level that I'm at now... It was honestly just strait up PRACTICE. I've spent A LOT of time practicing Melee, it's ridiculous. Countless hours. I'm not that fast of a learner either, so I feel that I've had to spend more time practicing than most people. But I honestly don't mind. I love this game. I love all the friends that I've made through playing this game, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I'm gonna continue practicing my heart out until I become one of the best, or THE best. I also think that if I can do it... anyone can. I believe that through hard work and dedication, you can accomplish anything.

Sanu

Smash Champion
This is a stupid thread and you're dumb for making it

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Alright, I guess I'll go ahead and post my eating habits and stuff lol. Well, here goes!

First off, just for some generic information, I'm a Blaxican (half African American, half Mexican). I turned 19 years old on April 7th. I'm pretty tall and kinda slim. I'm about 6'0" and weigh somewhere around 160 lbs. I'm actually a pretty healthy guy (I think). I don't have any diagnosed diseases or allergies or anything like that.

Now as for my eating habits:

I don't really have a set time when I eat, I pretty much just eat whenever I'm hungry (which might not be the best idea, but it's never caused me any problems lol). Although, I do try my best to make sure that I don't eat too much or too little, and I try to have a balanced diet. These past few months, a typical day would probably be eating a bowl of cereal or something small when I get up, then probably some fast food (like from Wendy's or something) in the middle of the day, then whatever might be cooked by my sister/father at night (which is usually something more healthy. This is where I get in my vegetables for the day lol). I'm very flexible with my eating habits though. I can pretty much eat at any time and I'm not too picky (although I am picky at times).

I'm pretty sanitary. I absoultely hate drinking/eating after someone, or eating something that someone else has touched. I will still drink/eat it at times when I don't have any money and I'm starving/dehydrated, but I really hate doing it. I don't like getting myself dirty. I shower nearly every morning. I always try to keep my hands away from my face too, because I don't like spreading any dirt and stuff that might've gotten on my hands. Don't worry guys, I'm not like crazy or anything lol. I don't have to use some sort of cloth every time I touch something and stuff like that. I guess I'm just slightly more sanitary than most people, but it's honestly no big deal.

I don't smoke or drink alcohol, or anything related. I never have, and I plan to keep it that way for the rest of my life. My brother and sister's lives have been greatly affected by this, and I've learned from their mistakes.

Sadly, I don't get as much physical activity as I used to. Now, pretty much the only exercise I get is doing these little 15 minute exercises every night. I used to do karate with my father (my father is a Tang Soo Do instructor), and play racquetball, but all that stopped ever since I moved to Phoenix AZ (which was about 5 months ago). I'll find a way to get more physical activity soon enough lol. But basically, I'm not very strong, but I'm not scrawny either.

For school... I just graduated High School last year. Most of my grades were pretty much A's, B's, and C's. I did have the occasional D, but I grew up in kind of a crappy high school anyways, no offense lol. It was hard to find anyone who didn't have an F on their report card (most people were failing most their classes). Now I'm a freshman in college. Overall, I'm mostly just your average guy I think. With the exception that... I spend most of my time smashing lol. When I'm not at school or working, I'm most likely either smashing or doing something related (SWF, watching vids, etc.). At the least, I'll be playing some sort of video game (Pokemon, Stepmania).

Oh yeah, one other thing... I kinda have a crazy sleep schedule o.O

Most of the time, I don't go to sleep until around 4 or 5 AM. (gasp). Why am I up so early? Well... honestly I'm most likely just watching Melee vids or just reading a bunch of stuff here on Smashboards. I will usually wake up sometime around 1 or 2pm lmao! So... I get plenty of sleep, but just not at the right time haha.

This might sound kinda weird, but Melee is a major part of my life. It's pretty much my hobby. You know how some people play basketball as a hobby? Or people that like to draw? Or sing? Dance? etc... Honestly, I don't see Melee as any different. It's something that I love to do, and something that I want to become one of the best in the world at (maybe one day, THE best in the world). Some people tell me that I play too much, and I should find myself a hobby or something... But they just can't understand that Melee IS my hobby. It's no different from a singer who loves to sing, or an artist that loves to draw. I'm just a smasher who loves to smash (Melee to be exact :)).

...Sorry I got kinda off subject lol. Basically, as far as my diet goes:

I have somewhat of a balanced diet
I get plenty of sleep, although I stay up late and wake up late
I don't get much physical exercise (anymore)
I have decent grades in school
I never drink/smoke

I play Melee A LOT. If I'm not playing, I'm most likely either online reading/watching something relating to Melee, or thinking about it. I think about Melee a lot, which is how I (and I'm sure everyone) come up with new combos/strategies.

Before a tournament, I honestly have no changes in diet or anything like that. I don't do anything to prepare for a tournament other than just warm up by playing the game (and wear my lucky shoe shirt).

If anyone is wondering how I was able to get to the skill level that I'm at now... It was honestly just strait up PRACTICE. I've spent A LOT of time practicing Melee, it's ridiculous. Countless hours. I'm not that fast of a learner either, so I feel that I've had to spend more time practicing than most people. But I honestly don't mind. I love this game. I love all the friends that I've made through playing this game, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I'm gonna continue practicing my heart out until I become one of the best, or THE best. I also think that if I can do it... anyone can. I believe that through hard work and dedication, you can accomplish anything.

Thanks dude this was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Mango doesn't eat anything. He just drinks alcohol...
sounds like beans liquid diet of strong cider lol.

This is a stupid thread and you're dumb for making it
? ok hateropolus,

the reason I made this thread is because I used do be an exceptional athlete growing up in elementary school I would win cross country races by minutes(a wide margin), and win everything at track and field meets my parents took me hiking in the mountains and I was always fighting or playing sports, then in highschool I got into basketball/streetball and was really good, avg 30 a game 40 sometimes when I was beastin I was that kid that everyone looked up to because of how good I was at basketball pulling all that rucker **** at lunctime and whatever lol, and then during/after highschool got into drugs, started smoking insane amounts of weed and doing a variety of grimey streetdrugs, nutmeg, dxm, nitrous, etc, etc started eating really unhealthy and basically really fuked up my body and especially my nerves, had intense pain in various locations inside my body, I couldn't walk 100 meters without losing my breath etc

I used to be able to move my fingers really fast probably from the way I would practise dribbling a basketball (low dribble)

after I realized how badly my body and health had deteriorated I was involved in a really bad car accident a few years ago and was in the hospital for months unable to move and in a wheelchair for half a year.

anyways for the past few years I've been trying to recover my health, eating super healthy, biking everywhere, but mostly trying to increase my finger movement and nerve function which I have been fairly successfull with, I play a pretty technical fox, but I am nowhere near the finger movement I used to have although I think I will be able to fully recover in time I am interested in how really good technical players eat and live.

I realize that if you haven't done anything extremely detrimental to your health you can probably get away with eating slightly unhealthy food, because your organs are still in good enough shape to deal with unsound material entering your body,

but as axe pointed out and this is stuff I am specifically interested in he used to practice martial arts, which I think probably has helped his coordination/circulation/overall wellbeing
which is probably a factor in the amazing abilities he has in the game smash, as he said he practices a lot, but I would wager that a lot of people play just as much as him who aren't nearly as good, and these are the factors that I am looking for, just out of curiousity and interest and I'm sure other people would be interested to see this information as well.

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
yeah this thread is kinda ********

there's no miracle diet that will make you better at smash

eat whatever you want and play a lot imo

jugfingers

Smash Champion
yeah this thread is kinda ********

there's no miracle diet that will make you better at smash

eat whatever you want and play a lot imo
k first of all I don't want to know what pro's eat so I can go out and eat it and become pro....lol

I am fairly confident that my diet and my knowledge of eating for top athletic performance is far superior to any pro smasher, I am merely interested if they have any unusual eating habits
or physical activites that may be beneficial, because I am ****ing curious is that such a crime?

the negative attitude towards intellectual inquiry is your inner stupidity and ignorance expressing itself through text on the internet.

does anyone know if silentspectre practices some form of martial arts?

I have a very strong suspicion that he does, but it would be appreciated if someone could verify this.

that would actually be a good thread lol
"An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.”

-buddha

in other words, maybe you should make that thread if you feel it is a good idea, which it is.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Well, Im not a top level smasher, not really even that good. But the two things I do, is make sure to drink water, and STAY THE **** AWAY FROM MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SUGAR AND FAST FOOD. Seriously nothing makes me crash harder and makes my mind slow down more than large quantitys of fast food or sugar. And I play horribly after I crash, because im tired and my mind just wont be able to think at its full potential.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i dont have anything set in stone but i do better when i meditate the night before a tourny and eat a small breakfast. ya know, like a plum or something.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Not sure if this helps, but...

I once had a conversation with a person who does acupuncture for a living (that thing where they put a bunchload of needles all over your body to "unblock the body's energy flow"). She was all about being healthy and stuff like that.

Anyways, she pretty much ended up telling me that exercising regularly and being more physically active would actually help me to become a better Melee player. She said that being physically active helps your brain to function better (or something like that), so my reflexes will be sharpened and I will have much more mental and physical endurance.

Have you ever been to a tournament, then after like half of the day you start feeling sloppy, or maybe feeling like you just can't consistently do all the techskill that you normally do? Well, maybe my above paragraph is your answer.

Also just as a note, I normally do better in a tournament if I get a good night's sleep the night before, but I kinda thought that's pretty obvious lol.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
does anyone know if silentspectre practices some form of martial arts?

I have a very strong suspicion that he does, but it would be appreciated if someone could verify this.
i can't confirm or deny, but i know a guy who watched a video of SS getting chased by Germs dog, and in the beginning SS is doing this weird Swaying motion with his arms, and this guy i'm talking about says it looked a lot like a type or martial arts warm up thing. he knew more about it then me, and i wasn't really paying attention, but you're the second person i've known to think that SS does do some sort of martial arts.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
Not sure if this helps, but...

I once had a conversation with a person who does acupuncture for a living (that thing where they put a bunchload of needles all over your body to "unblock the body's energy flow"). She was all about being healthy and stuff like that.

Anyways, she pretty much ended up telling me that exercising regularly and being more physically active would actually help me to become a better Melee player. She said that being physically active helps your brain to function better (or something like that), so my reflexes will be sharpened and I will have much more mental and physical endurance.

Have you ever been to a tournament, then after like half of the day you start feeling sloppy, or maybe feeling like you just can't consistently do all the techskill that you normally do? Well, maybe my above paragraph is your answer.

Also just as a note, I normally do better in a tournament if I get a good night's sleep the night before, but I kinda thought that's pretty obvious lol.

Axe holdin down this thread, lol yea no doubt exercise is good for the cognitive function a quick google search will reveal a plethora of scientific data to back this up. I remember watching an interview with bobby Fischer where he was asked about his participation in sports and he replied that he didn't really play sports, but specfically played tennis to improve the circulation to his brain.

i can't confirm or deny, but i know a guy who watched a video of SS getting chased by Germs dog, and in the beginning SS is doing this weird Swaying motion with his arms, and this guy i'm talking about says it looked a lot like a type or martial arts warm up thing. he knew more about it then me, and i wasn't really paying attention, but you're the second person i've known to think that SS does do some sort of martial arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t75Dm0NWjk

I believe this is what your referring to, yea well we can certainly conclude from this video evidence that at the very least silentspectre is the type of dude to engage in some sort of esoteric arm swinging technique in a grass field while everyone else is sitting around lol.

I would bet money he practices some sort of martial arts but at this point that assertion is simply unconfirmed rumor.

I don't know the precise accuracy of this but
Kurtis aka Nekurbis told me at OC3 that jeff came up with the drop zone while under the influence of LSD.

i dont have anything set in stone but i do better when i meditate the night before a tourny and eat a small breakfast. ya know, like a plum or something.
aha nice

joeplicate

Smash Master
LOOOOL

this thread is amazing
jugfingers i can't tell if you're being serious or not, but it's funny either way

i'm a pretty active dood, i just picked up rock climbing again and i'm pretty into it
IMO exercise helps A LOT, eating healthy and not being a fat azz gets you in tune with your body, which helps with focus and many other things

seriously though, i think a very large part of smash is controlling your body's energy and applying it in the right places. call it chakra or something. it seems like being healthy puts more of your brainpower and resources under your control.

on a related note, as far as i can tell doing drugs (any drug) and playing smash isn't as good as going at it sober. weed, no good, alcohol, no good. i even drank a big cup of coffee this morning and i think i would've been better off and had better endurance if i didn't. being conscious is the best way to improve, IMO, because being healthy/sober removes all the external factors which can affect your game and turns it into a matter of will. :)

those are my thoughts on the matter anyways

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I have asked all those people on the list, and the results are pretty much the same.

The day before tournament, almost all of them meditate for 4 hours, then eat special smash-enhancing pills. The number of pills varies dependent on character choice and size of tournament.
Another trend I have seen is that almost all of the players are top martial artists, working out almost everyday.

Hope this helps

Top Bottom