• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Problems with mindset...

rofljont

Smash Apprentice
I seem to place inconsistently at tournaments, placing closer to fifth or 33rd and I'm not talking in between, literally 5th, 33rd or last. I think this is a problem with my mindset. Either I'm confident, too confident or sometimes angry at myself for teams or a winners bracket loss that can change my mindset altogether.

Can someone tell me, preferably someone who places consistently in tournaments (doesn't need to be winning tournaments) how you keep the same mindset play well and not underestimate opponents. To play at your absolute best ?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Personally, I can keep a stable mind if I focus more on opponents. As I sit there and think of myself, I start changing too much from consistency... But I just analyze what is going on over there, and I am too preoccupied to worry about myself.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Friendlies really help me keep my focus in between matches. Also, if you lose a match during a set, dont take it too hard. Just keep going and keep your cool. You wont make a comeback if your all frustrated. Take a deep breath and most importantly, dont think you dont have a chance.

-Ran

Smash Master
Some of it might come down to overthinking your opponent, or not realizing the level of opponent you are going against. The person you might have lost in the first round, might be the second best player there.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
This is sort of an empty answer, but it may just be a matter of experience. I can't quite tell from your post how many tournaments you've participated in, but once you get enough under your belt, you'll be able to just deal with these problems straight-up, that is, by simply quashing them.

Uh, so good luck :)

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Brawl is chess.

Don't focus on approaching.

Focus on how you can stay on the edge of your opponent's range without being hit by them, and how you can best punish them for attempting to hit you. Use your shield, and never hit their shield. Keep track of options, and get them into situations with less options and capitalize on it.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I think one thing that helps the top people place a lot is that they figure out their opponent in the span of less than a minute.

I watched Tyrant play WarpStatus after Warp beat Teba and MikeHAZE, and Tyrant lost his first stock with Warp being at 34% or something. Warp didn't HIT Tyrant except for once from that point in the match until he had like 100% damage his last stock.(If I remember correctly)

I have seen lotsa other matches where they seem to be going even that first stock, and then all of a sudden, it becomes a 2 stock win for one of the people. The best players alter their playstyles mid game to figure out their opponent.

I think that is holding me back from getting better, as when I play, a lot of the time I don't think.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I have seen lotsa other matches where they seem to be going even that first stock, and then all of a sudden, it becomes a 2 stock win for one of the people.
Like this?

I've been placing 5th these last few tourneys, losing to the same people over and over again... But that's going to change this saturday (next tourney), I'm gonna make sure I take one of the top 3! I'm pumped and my kirby needs butts to kick! :embarrass

cybergeko

Smash Rookie
Personally, I can keep a stable mind if I focus more on opponents. As I sit there and think of myself, I start changing too much from consistency... But I just analyze what is going on over there, and I am too preoccupied to worry about myself.
this is a good thing to do in tournaments or even when your playing friendlys its how ( i think) all professionals that lose tournament finals keep they're cools

Top Bottom