• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project 64k+ / Kaillera+

Skrlx

Smash Champion
When is an admin going to change thread ownership T_T

ANYWAYS...

http://www.smashgalaxy.com/

might serve useful in the future

my question is: when's the beta gonna be released? :nifty:
no public beta is gonna be released and even then a closed beta is not a possibility

would be cool if this was combined with whatever Owata is using

save the image on your computer and then reupload it to an image hosting site cause mixi doesn't allow hotlinking

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
mmmm This guy is like Smasherx, o he make a totally useless thing or he make a thing that was created.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Erm, i think you mis understood me again.

By Fall through i ment i hope it works...like comes to be...falls through into reality.

Bad expression i suppose.

Either way i want this more then ANYONE :p

maybe not isai, he seems pretty excited too

Skrlx

Smash Champion
lack of development because i am currently in a MENTAL BLOCK

this is getting tough

OF COURSE, I'd have somebody help me out but he wants money which I don't have ;__;

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Well do you think this is going to be realistic to finish?

If the project is to big for one person (And i doubt anyone here is going to pay money to someone they dont know to do something they might not ever see) you should lemme know so i can take this off sticky and end the HYPE!

Dam, so close to a much better ladder system :(

MattNF

Smash Lord
Erm, i think you mis understood me again.

By Fall through i ment i hope it works...like comes to be...falls through into reality.

Bad expression i suppose.

Either way i want this more then ANYONE :p

maybe not isai, he seems pretty excited too
He didn't misunderstand you, "falls through" is a negative term.

The expression you're looking for is "follows through".

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
haha alright :(

I knew there was an issue somewhere, and its my English...or my typing at the very least xP

either way thanks I'll remember it so this wont happen again, and i definitely want this project to go ahead!

firo

Smash Ace
Development on a current version of emulinker is just too hard to tackle. I've been trying it for the past few years. The only hope is to start from the earlier Emulinker 1.02 source and work from there.

CyberMario

Settle It
3DS FC
3351-4726-1926
*Reads first page* = Hype!
*Reads second page* = HYPE!!
*Reads third page* = Pause...
*Reads fourth page* = *Hype crashes and burns*
*Reads fifth page* = We need the hype again. Gotta come through for us! We believe in you! D8

MattNF

Smash Lord
I remember near talking about a "4 player p2p" client he was working on like a year ago.

I bet this will end up with the same fate

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I hope not. But this is a sticky now...If Near wishes to remain that way we are gonna need an update about how things are going...if they are still going.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
if this actually works and gets off the ground and proves it has less instability and less desynch I will come back for sure. I cannot stress how frustrating it is to play on keyboard in lag, ppl who play console mainly whine about online lag/button delay but playing on keyboard in lag is an entirely different story.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Why don't you get on that then?

Oh wait- no one can.

You might as well say "Modern medical practices are HORRIBLE- we should drop them all and create new, better ones."

I mean, it's true that we can imagine improvements that could be made (OMFG IT NEVER DESYNCHS or OMFG WE CAN HEAL CANCER AT THE CLICK OF A BUTTON), but since this is the best we've ever had, and improvements are impossible at the moment, dealing with it seems to be the best recourse

firo

Smash Ace
I have thought about the future of smash64 online a fair amount, and I feel that what eventually should be done is pretty clear.

In order for smash64 online to progress, development has to take a different direction. First, it must move to a completely open source emulator. This would be Mupen64plus, as it is a cross-platform emulator that is still being developed and has a very detailed API.
http://www.emuwiki.com/index.php?title=Mupen64Plus_v2.0_Core_API_v1.0

edit: DO NOT click the "under construction" link at the top - apparently it is malicious and was put there by a spammer.

Mupen64++ was a start and was developed by a user okaygo - it was based on the old mupen64 emulator however, which is outdated, and although okaygo planned to release the source code once it went out of beta, work ceased and the source was lost. It still uses kaillera anyway though so there isn't much help there.

Kaillera is essentially an outdated technology. With the netcode completely separate from the emulator, there really isn't much to improve on as far as I can tell. The server checks to see if every packet is sent and received correctly. If a few packets are not sent, received, or are corrupted, the system fails. The netcode implementation in Mupen64plus would need to be integrated with the emulator and allow it to correct for lag, corrupted packets, and savestates. Since the community is not big enough to have servers around the country, the emulator should allow for local hosting so that one player can act as a host that the other three can connect to. Instead of a kaillera server, communication can just take place on an IRC chat of some sort that can be used as a lobby to look for available games.

Implementing all of this would actually not be as difficult as it sounds. Modifying Mupen64plus, especially with all the documentation it has, would only take an experienced coder or two to work on it for a few weeks or so. The hard part is just finding someone with the dedication/knowledge/time to work on it.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Nothing is impossible. So stop thinking like that, and comparing Kaillera to something as important like medical pratices is just pure ignorance. Of course no would drop medical pratices no matter how bad it is. All that matters is that it got the job done. Unlike Kaillera where we can drop and improve and wouldn't need to worry about something as crucial as death rate. We'll be a'ight.

Your acting as if we're getting rid of kaillera in the process of making it better, and we're not.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
With all due respect, korrupshen, firo knows what he is talking about.

I have absolutely no idea how kaillera functions and what oddities govern its makeup, but if firo says it, it must hold some merit.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
(CONTINUED)

If we're planning on sitting our lazy ***** down thinking, HEY! Imma just sit here and ***** till someone comes on along to work on the project.

THATS GONNA GET US NO WHERE.

Life Lesson
If you want something done you gotta do it yourself

*on mobile*

Top Bottom