• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
EDITEDIT: Oh, yes...a bit of constructive criticism, while I'm at it. Geno seems...OP. Just one of my stupid ideas, but, I think it would be best to nerf his specials a bit...I mean, 40% on fully charged Geno Blast?
Geno Blast isn't staying in my version of Geno for much longer, but I'm pretty sure Indigo likes it quite a bit.
I haven't done a lot of testing to figure out the potential interactions between my Specials and Fighter Geno's physics. Try out Cosmic Geno to judge Specials, it could be that Fighter's, being a faster character in general, might need to be nerfed.
I don't really think the physics have much to do with the move strength, especially one that you can't use while moving. The only special of yours that's nerfed on the port to Fighter Geno is Geno Boost, because he's not in the air nearly as long. However, I think that's balanced out by the fact that he rises much quicker.

I just found out something good! By changing all Trans values on all bones for an animation, you can get any character's animation to fit any model! So some of the older animations might work with the Ness/Lucas body shape. I'm going to try it out.
Awesome. Post your progress, maybe with some pictures?

Edit: Oh Douhneill - After thinking about it a bit, I've slightly changed my mind on the animation I was requesting. Can you make it so the split/charge point between animations is where Geno pulls his arms back? That'd also be where the first animation stalls for a while to charge.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
After thinking about it a bit, I've slightly changed my mind on the animation I was requesting. Can you make it so the split/charge point between animations is where Geno pulls his arms back? That'd also be where the first animation stalls for a while to charge.
Sure, I don't really see why not. But just so I know what kind of look I'm going for, he leans back, arms at the ready, pauses, then fires them forward? If that's right, all I really need to know is which attack this is supposed to be overwriting so that I know how many (and which) parts are supposed to be replaced.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Same as I said before, just:
Maybe make the first part of the animation be his SpecialLw, and the second part SpecialAirLw? Those are the two animations I'm going to be using, anyways.
It's replacing his DownB, and I'm not sure if I should make it usable in the air or not.

And yes, that's exactly what I'm going for. :)

IndigoFenix said:
I just found out something good! By changing all Trans values on all bones for an animation, you can get any character's animation to fit any model! So some of the older animations might work with the Ness/Lucas body shape. I'm going to try it out.
So does that mean that you could replace one of the current animations with, say, PK Freeze/Pulse?

If I'm correct in assuming that...you could try, for Geno Blast, using the character animation for PK Freeze. It seems like it'd look the best for that attack.

Oh, a couple things I've noticed with Cosmic Geno...it's definitely a good nerf compared to Fighter Geno's specials. The throws are also pretty well balanced, though the DThrow and FThrow look a bit...awkward.

Also, it might just be the PCS I'm using (having some trouble keeping track of both of them), but it seems that, during his dash attack, he moves a few feet further than he should, then teleports back a second later.

I've tried Cosmic Geno on a few level nine's (my brother just got back, I'll nag him into testing it with me.), and he seems to be performing more like he should. Exactly what is the timing for his FSmash's second hit? I can't find it...

Gonna nag my brother now, will edit post afterward.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Oh, a couple things I've noticed with Cosmic Geno...it's definitely a good nerf compared to Fighter Geno's specials. The throws are also pretty well balanced, though the DThrow and FThrow look a bit...awkward.
Um, what? They're exactly the same. EXACTLY. The only real difference would be the different angles in the aerial Geno Whirl (Mine falls fastest, with Geno.), the fact that Fighter Geno is in the air less after Geno Boosting, and that Geno Blast putting in Free-fall is more dangerous for Fighter Geno.

All of those make them actually worse.

marter

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys, here is a little something that will make things look a lot nicer. Once you follow the instructions in the .rar file I have provided, on your Character Selection screen, it will actually say "Geno" instead of "Toon Link". A picture of Geno will also appear where Toon Link would normally appear. (The place where you place your cursor on their face). Here it is:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7f0x5v

If you have any difficulty, don't hesitate to ask me, as I have gotten them all to work. Also, if anyone could take pictures of this, it would be great. If anyone else needs this done for any of your Custom Characters, PM me, and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Updated to include a working CSP and in-battle name.

Um, what? They're exactly the same. EXACTLY. The only real difference would be the different angles in the aerial Geno Whirl (Mine falls fastest, with Geno.), the fact that Fighter Geno is in the air less after Geno Boosting, and that Geno Blast putting in Free-fall is more dangerous for Fighter Geno.

All of those make them actually worse.
Uhm...maybe I didn't word that correctly..okay, scratch that, I definitely didn't word it correctly. I meant to say that the...how do I put it...It's somewhat harder for Cosmic Geno to land a hit with the specials. Only slightly, but still. So, yeah. Disregard my stupidity, pl0x. [/Ishouldreallystopmakingmyselflookstupidinfrontofsmartpeople]

IndigoFenix, I really think you should re-upload 1.2...as many people have said, the link is broken.

In my opinion...Cosmic Geno seems like it'd be around Kirby in terms of tier placement; somewhere around low A or high B. But then, I've never seen 1.2, only 1.18.

I can't really place Fighter Geno, because you say you'll be replacing Blast, and I'm eager to find out what'll be in its place...

I support both Geno's, and, if you want, I can try to help as much as possible...though that isn't much. What program do you use? BrawlBox? Ash?

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Eh, that's odd... I didn't try actually downloading it...
Anyway, here's version 1.2, this one should work.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/inzmyzzdimj/CosmicGenoVersion1.2.pac

The reason why it's harder to land Specials with Cosmic Geno is because most of his normal attacks have very little horizontal knockback growth. Both Geno Beam and Blast are easiest to use when the opponent is at a distance, preferably when they're off the stage, but because he has a hard time knocking opponents very far, there aren't many opportunities to use those. He was specifically made to be that way - I first designed the Specials and then built the rest of his moveset around ensuring that they wouldn't be overpowered.

O-Suchin

Smash Rookie
Texture-hackin', huh? Don't you need the home-brew channel for that? I'd do this in a heartbeat if I wasn't under the impression that doing so can result in "bricking."

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Texture-hackin', huh? Don't you need the home-brew channel for that? I'd do this in a heartbeat if I wasn't under the impression that doing so can result in "bricking."
Texture hacking? This is moveset hacking, we're making a whole new character here. Anyway, read up a bit on the whole 'bricking' issue - there's little to no evidence that Homebrew is in any way related to "bricking" - the only real brick problem comes from a particular upgrade from Nintendo, and it affects non-hacked systems just as much as hacked ones. There's a sticky about it on this board, you can read up on it there.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
No problem, I hope my instructions were clear enough.
Very. Now I just need to get around to making CSPs for him.

Also, I've got another surprise in that area....

Also, minor thing - The Toon Link picture in Group Records isn't changed. Nor is the Toon Link text and icon in Replays. *Goes to look for others*

Shadic said:
(You have a ridiculously long name, by the way.) Indigo and I both use Brawlbox and Project Smash Attacks.
Inorite. Just call me Shadow Kirby, Kirby, Idiot, whatever. I'll answer to nearly anything. And thanks.

O-Suchin said:
It CAN result in bricking, but if you know half a thing about what you're doing, there's a .05% chance or so of it.

O-Suchin

Smash Rookie
This looks really neat, I'm tempted to try it, but realistically speaking, a different Mario character would've most likely gotten in before him. But I can't say that with sheer confidence as I know about his fanbase.

grim mouser

Smash Journeyman
It won't brick you unless you do something very wrong or lose connection/power during a Wii update. Which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

My file includes a CSP.
I was referring to the picture that comes up when you select (Geno). That is, the picture that shows which costume you're using. I don't see anything like that in your file.

marter

Smash Apprentice
Re-Download it, I updated it to include a .tga for Toon Link.

Also, minor thing - The Toon Link picture in Group Records isn't changed. Nor is the Toon Link text and icon in Replays. *Goes to look for others*
I haven't found where those files are, but if someone does, I'll get them replaced.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
toonlink1_big = Use CUPASH-Mod
Actually, it's in:
common5_en -> sc_selcharacter_en -> char_bust_tex_lz77 -> MiscData[40] -> textures
If you want to use Brawlbox.

marter

Smash Apprentice
Actually, it's in:
common5_en -> sc_selcharacter_en -> char_bust_tex_lz77 -> MiscData[40] -> textures
I tried that, and it froze, however using CUPASH, worked fine. Did it work for you?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I tried it and it worked fine. Got my bestest buddy Sonicandtails to convert it into a png with proper transparency and whatnot, and it looks great.

marter

Smash Apprentice
Would you be able to send me the png, and then I can update the original file, and have it work without CUPASH?

marter

Smash Apprentice
So how would you actually place that on the character selection screen? Do you have to make a FitToonLink03.psc with that in it?
The instructions are included in the .rar. All you really do is replace the files in common5.pac, with the ones I included.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I've totally just got the in-battle portraits replaced. No idea where the text itself is, though. (That says "Toon Link" below the picture)

Now we just need the picture that appears under replays, which is recycled elsewhere, I believe.

marter

Smash Apprentice
I've totally just got the in-battle portraits replaced. No idea where the text itself is, though. (That says "Toon Link" below the picture)

Now we just need the picture that appears under replays, which is recycled elsewhere, I believe.
Where is that file stored?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
disc/info/portrite/

InfFace401-406 ...It was a pain to find which ones, as I've found no chart listing such.

So yeah, now we just gotta find that text.

Edit: Found it!

marter

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing the numbers will match up with the "MenSelchrFaceB" file, so all you need to do is look at that, to find out the numbers for in-battle portraits.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I know it matches with FitToonLinkXX with the exception that InfFace01 is FitToonLink00.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Douhneill, how's the animations going? I found something good: Reduce his upper arm's X scale to a small (non-zero) amount, shrink down the hand, and greatly enlarge one of his fingers' length. Makes for a nice hand-to-gunstick transformation.
I'm still working on figuring out how to make his hand detach for a true rocket punch. So far, I've managed to make it work, sort of, although there's a big spike thingy coming out of the back of his hand. It should be possible...

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
:( can you make the forest replace some other stage like rainbow cruise? Because I use BBrawl and although it's a great engine, those poopyheads raised the blast zone of Temple by a certain percent, and it apparently applies to the stage, too.

marter

Smash Apprentice
Shadic, I've figuered out how to replace "Toon Link" in battle, just give me a second to re-upload it. I'll work on trying for the other shortly.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
wtf, you got it working? I just replaced every friggin' .pac from from

SD:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\info2

That had Toon Link in it, and still can't get it to say Geno. :(

marter

Smash Apprentice
MenSelchrChrNmS.401 = info.pac -> MiscData[30] -> Textures(NW4R)-> MenSelchrChrNmS.401

This worked for me.

Top Bottom