• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
For the actual PSA character itself, you mean?
For whatever you're comfortable with, really. Moves, visuals, whatever. I made my own Geno movesets before Brawl was released (but I lost them xD). I can't offer much visually (other than quick photoshop mock-ups), but I'd love to be of some sort of use to this project.

Basically, call me the official taste-tester for all I care. xD

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
what level of multi-res did u use shadowbolt? cause I've been able to lower the res by double clicking where the numbers are and changing the level of the multi res XD hope this is a good tip

ps don't save any of mallow if this doesn't work for u.

and i just found out about this through a 1 minute tutorial XD

dude shadowbolt don't dis yourself, like Albert Einstein says "even the smartest of people make mistakes but they try again that is why they are so successful " ...

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
What would be really handy is people for animations. >_>
Well, my plan for when the model was finished was to do pretty much all of the basic animations, one by one.

But, unless we end up having a similar bone structure as another character and steal most of the animations for those for a while (or we have pretty much every animation simply be him in a T-pose), we're going to need to do a LOT of work before he'll even be playable.

Naturally, the first few alphas for animation are going to be specifically just movement. Walks, Runs, Standing, crouching, blocking, rolling, dodging, turning, tripping, jumps, double jumps, landing, ledge-grabbing, ladder climbing, and perhaps having your shield broken and such. Since there's so much to be done, and so much of that is necessary before we can even begin to do anything else, I'll be sure to work on it as soon as I can. Naturally, Shadic, you'd be the one to do the attacking animations, since you are the one who's actually making the attacks, so everyone else (so, so far, I think only me) would do the other animations like getting hit and such.

but I agree that we're going to need more than 2 people to do this in a rational amount of time, since there are a good few hundred animations to be done, and doing them isn't exactly the fastest thing ever.

*edit* btw, once the model importer is done, you can do the animations fairly easily using brawlbox. I mean, I was using it to do a bunch of animations on my SCHOOL COMPUTER, which is a monumental piece of crap. The playback wasn't full speed, so I had to do a LOT of fixing up, but I got things done.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I'd help with animations if I could.

... But I can't. x_x

I'll gladly stick around to give creative pointers, however.

@Senjen - Sadly, multires stops working like that if you applied and saved the changes already.

Tsuyoshio

Smash Journeyman
So wait if you can do models from blender is someone gunna do Geno like the real geno

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
shadowbolt u should at least post your Mallow model online who know's somebody might be able to fix your mistake ... tell what you've done and what needs to be added and what it is too be used for ....

i tried redoing mallow as well but yeah i suck at it haven't saved yet either XD...

here's what i got so far man i suck at it XD i need a tutorial to make him wish shadowbolt could help me needs help badly X3 ^^ -.-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47251013@N08/4351912955/

taunts for Geno nod his head, takes his hat off and pulls out a random item like a mushroom,star, and a flower.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Well, my pride got the best of me. I did the Mallow model over again, with a much lower poly count.

Thing is, my poor old computer *still* can't handle animation, or even texturing. So whoever thinks their computer can do the job, by all means step up to the plate. I'll hand the file off, and it'll officially no longer be my problem. (Note, you'll need Blender, as I've yet to add bones to the model, and two pieces were done rather sloppily - namely the Stick, and the soles of Mallow's boots.)

Take it or don't. Either way, I'm deleting this plague of my existence.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
can i see this version of mallow if its possible shadowbolt sorry for sending u so many messages i was trying to help :(

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
We aren't doing a vertex hack. We're too lazy to get around to doing that, so we're making an actual model from scratch. It's just that the past bit has been more Mallow than Geno, but it's all SMRPG, so it's cool.

As for animations, again, we can do that in Brawlbox much more easily once we have the model successfully imported. Everything after that is just time consuming.

joaopedrodsa

Smash Rookie
Indigo and shadic, I'm waiting to see Geno in Brawl a few years. I'm really glad to see how much progress you have done.
I'm not seen any recent post about Geno. Somebody know how the things are going?
I saw that Uncle0wnage did a great model, but i don't have seen anything after that.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Waiting for a model, and the model importer before I resume any work.

I scribbled down some ideas not too long ago. Some of it will be code hell, but there's definitely a lot a want changed before I'm willing to consider this "done."

...Although I do like the Backair. I've not had any idea about that..

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
We're all just doing other, currently doable projects while we wait. It kills time and helps us get better for when we actually can work on him.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I'm thinking of opening up development a little bit, once everything is up-and-running with the new model.

It'll save me a lot of time and effort, I'm sure a few of you guys could make better animations than I could, and it'll speed up development considerably. I'll probably still want some sort of veto power over stuff, but I'm pretty reasonable. :p

Here's some move ideas I came up with, that I mentioned earlier:

Jab: Finger Shot - Extend hand, bullets shoot out of fingers. Can hold the move, similar to Metaknight/Pit? Maybe sort of wave his arms up and down to get more of a "bullet spray."

Uair: Mostly the same as now, but perhaps makes a small explosion/burst out of his elbows, like a cannon-blast?

UpB: Turn into a small orb of light, able to move around, float, etc. Turning into the ball drops the current Geno body a short way before it disappears, with the lifeless doll acting somewhat like a Sonic spring, though it disappears faster. Orb of light lasts around 3 seconds, moves relatively fast. If his out of the orb, turns back into Geno, and takes extra damage/knockback. After the time ends, the light turns back into Geno, and you go into free-fall. (This will easily be the most difficult move to get working in PSA. May have to ask Eldiran or somebody for help with this, and change it up a bit to make it actually feasible.)

DownB: Geno Blast. Works like Pikachu's thunder, but has three blosts, one on Geno, two others close to him. Which order they come out in is random. The entire attack lasts arounds three seconds, and has a charge timed-effect before the move starts up, to determine damage similar to functionality already in-game.

SideB: Geno Whirl - Same basic idea as the current one, although having it be a real projectile that doesn't go through walls, and that can be reflected would be nice.

Dair: Shoots his Star Gun downward, with relatively short range, but it gives him a slight vertical boost.

Fair: A kick, perhaps similar to Lucas' Fair, but with a spin? (Not really sure about this attack.)

Nair: Probably something quite similar to Cosmic Geno's current Nair.

Bair: Kept, but change animation a bit?

Neutral B: Geno Beam! Extend the range on the attack a little bit, but weaken it. Use the Graphics for Lucario's Aura Storm, which would be pretty easy to get working.

Any comments?

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
heres a suggestion for taunts Geno nods his head, he takes his hat off and pulls out a random item like a flower, star, or a mushroom, geno's spins around then the sprit leaves his body then goes back in ...

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
The run will very likely end up being mostly taken from somebody else - I'm thinking Fox, or something. (Character scale isn't an issue, I should be able to fix that)

ChaosofST

Smash Cadet
The run will very likely end up being mostly taken from somebody else - I'm thinking Fox, or something. (Character scale isn't an issue, I should be able to fix that)
Do you still need animators for it? and also for the mallow I can do him as well if someone needs me too. I've put a recent project I've been making on hold till I can figure out how to had more quills to sonic.

joaopedrodsa

Smash Rookie
I have played a little with both projects, and i saw one thing that no make so much sense for me:

-Geno have the GenoBoost, that boost his attacks until it touch the ground.
-But it have GenoBeam and GenoFlash that is very weak if used in the air.

Thus the strategy of Geno seems a bit contradictory.
Then my suggestion is that the effect of GenoBoost should work for a short period of time, instead of functioning as the Geno is in the air, and this should launch the Geno up only if used in the air. On the other hand, if used on the floor, he should have a recharging system similar to GenoBeam. So GenoBoost can be used in several different ways to improve the player's strategy.
For example, the GenoBoost will work if Geno is trying to comeback to the platform, fighting with the opponent that is trying to stop him.
But to have a good effect the ability must be charged enough, forcing the player have to think in some moves to gain time. This will make the game Geno be very strategic, something fundamental in the Mario RPG.
I think the fact that Geno can use the GenoBoost without being launched up, will make the attack more strategic and useful rather than on being a source of predictable and repetitive combos.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm just trying to help.

Azurie

Smash Cadet
I think you should keep the current fair for Geno. It may not really fit Geno or anything, but its just fun to use and its a unique aerial in general.

Garrett223

Smash Cadet
Want me to make him actually cross his arms on his taunt? oh, and BTW, is there a whole spritesheet for your Play as Geno picture? and I thought replace the geno beam graphic with aura storm was a nice Idea

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
Alright, bones can now be added, so as soon as the .dae to .mld0 converter is up this will pick up again, right?

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Once Uncle0wnage gets back to us - otherwise, we'll have to find someone else to make another model.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Shadowbolt,
I saw the Mallow that you has done and it was very impressive. Can't you make a Geno? Even if we improve the model in the furture.

Tsuyoshio

Smash Journeyman
Waiting for a model, and the model importer before I resume any work.

I scribbled down some ideas not too long ago. Some of it will be code hell, but there's definitely a lot a want changed before I'm willing to consider this "done."

...Although I do like the Backair. I've not had any idea about that..
Theres already a way to import models look all over the model forum they have tons of methods even custom stuff

Top Bottom