• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PROJECT - Is it just me or do our PSA guides suck?

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
First off, let me thank the people who made all of the PSA guides we have. They've led to plenty successful characters, and they've been a great help overall.

With that out of the way, I have to say, they suck. Of course, I don't mean it as harsh as it sounds; they work pretty ok, except for certain things that stand out. For example, I realized that a lot of new information keeps getting shoved to the side because people don't see them unless they ask (which also grants they are actually answered.) Smash Attacks is a great program, and there are plenty of possibilities that it opens for us. The only issue is that aside from the handful that figure out things for us on a regular--undoubtedly handling their own business--there's not much to go to for help. Of course, we're still finding things out, but it would be better if we had a guide that updated often with everything. I have not only found myself looking across the site for guides and explanations, but I've stumbled upon things I would not have figured out had I not read ahead in the threads that discuss PSA.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that I think we need a compilation on everything that can help that is open to updating all the time. As I am making this proposal, I am open to doing so, but would like to hear other thoughts on the subject, as not to offend anyone who may be making (or have) their own guide, or feel this isn't necessary. If I do end up making such a thread, as a precaution to make sure I continue to update, I'm sure my friend (who will go unnamed until he posts in this topic) will be sure to call me and tell me to move my lazy *** over to the workshop and update the thread ASAP or else there'll be fisticuffs involved. But I digress.

In short: We need a better PSA thread with MOAR INFO PLOX that updates constantly, and will be sure to answer all questions rather than leaving people confused, and I just might be the guy to do it. If this thread offends anyone in any way, feel free to lock, delete, or do whatever.

Pinutk

Smash Cadet
I kinda agree to this, I REALLY want to get into making real PSA's the reason I say real is because I made a Wolf PSA which made him faster while a real PSA would be actually editing moves

shanus

Smash Hero
The best way to use PSA is truly to just design a project and keep on testing and learning the ropes. That is what most of us did

Eldiran

Smash Lord
There is one actually very good thread for PSA info, which is the PSA list thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246651

It contains tons of useful info and is kept up to date by leafgreen. It is more of a reference, though, than a guide.

I do agree that tutorials and walkthrough-type guides are lacking. Someone did post some video guides: http://kittycorp.freecp.net/index.php?topic=3722.0
But I don't know if they're any good; I haven't watched 'em. So, yeah... better guides would be nice.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
The best way to use PSA is truly to just design a project and keep on testing and learning the ropes. That is what most of us did
Of course, this is very true. But there are certain things that help that effort. For example, I tried PSA for a week the week it came out. While this is surely not a long time, I have to say, I got plenty of headaches (and other ailments that won't be described) trying to figure things out. A few months later, I came to take another jab at Shanoa, and this time I'm determined, yes--but also, the community has furthered the knowledge of Smash Attacks. So, you know, the forerunners who figured everything out and started at square one? They're always much appreciated. The smaller people who have ideas and don't know where to start, myself included? Let's help boost them to square three rather than leave them in the dust with no explanation.

There is one actually very good thread for PSA info, which is the PSA list thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246651

It contains tons of useful info and is kept up to date by leafgreen. It is more of a reference, though, than a guide.

I do agree that tutorials and walkthrough-type guides are lacking. Someone did post some video guides: http://kittycorp.freecp.net/index.php?topic=3722.0
But I don't know if they're any good; I haven't watched 'em. So, yeah... better guides would be nice.
Hell yeah, PSA List thread, shizzle mcMuffin's so cash. Though there's stuff posted within the thread (like the toggle to get rid of sticking to the edge so you can roll off the stage, and the "attach graphic effect to all bones" thing) that I think people would love to see, and no offense to the Leafgreen, but they're not on the first page! Understandable, because where would they really go? But that's why we need a thread like what I have put on the table.

Otherwise who would make such awesome PROJECTS like a Captain Falcon that shoots his flaming body outline at you? (Which actually sounds kinda cool.)

And yeah, WackaAlpaca needs more lovin'.

Doval

Smash Lord
While this is true, there's no reason why a newcomer should have to re-figure out everything that took the first PSA users much head-banging and trial and error to discover. The ideal situation is for the newcomer to be able to get up to speed quickly and then proceed to discover new things, rather than waste time discovering things that have already been found.

The PSA List thread is fantastic but it assumes the player is already familiar with PSA. The Official PSA Guide is obviously grossly out of date; I mean its info is from what, like 3-5 days after PSA's release?

We really do need a "Start here" kind of guide that explains the basic functionality of the program in detail, stuff like "what's an event and what are these random numbers," so the person can then go on and take full advantage of the PSA List thread.

Ideally it should be a Wiki so any knowledgeable person can contribute and we can flesh out every event we know in detail. I think eventually we'll have too many events to sift through in the List thread.

D

Deleted member

I already said just before I put the announcement in the title of my guide topic that I'm fine with anyone making a new official guide, but then everybody was like meh.
people usually are too lazy to do things themselves.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
@ Duval: Indeed. But I think

@ The Paprika Killer: Then I suppose I'll be that one person who isn't lazy!...after my nap.

But seriously, I am perfectly willing to go ahead with this. All I need is people telling me what to add if I don't add it.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I would be up to making a guide.

I could just edit PK's and start another topic. Though I'd need permission from PK.

EDIT: OR YOU CAN DO IT DIAMOND xD

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Theres almost no purpose in making a big complicated PSA guide for newbies, as its hard to do anything meaningful with PSA even with effort. What is needed is a reference guide for all the commands.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
I would be up to making a guide.

I could just edit PK's and start another topic. Though I'd need permission from PK.

EDIT: OR YOU CAN DO IT DIAMOND xD
Well, PK has already given permission, so go for it if I don't start it first.

I totally could and would do this.

I gots experience.
Same to you.

Pretty much, whoever feels like making a guide, have at. Just be sure to update often (or when you can!) If no one makes one, I'll post something this weekend. However, I'm gonna need people to look over it, I'm not really sure where I should start. If any one could give me (and any one else who may want to make a thread!) ideas here, that'd be cool.

And please, don't simply say "You should look at XXX's guide." If specific information is posted, we can make a more effective guide for the community.

Oh, sorry, didn't respond to Dant. We should make sure to have a thorough library of all commands and terms, sorted by what they do.

NNID
Budget_Player
So it ISN'T just that I'm too stupid to figure this out!

Seriously, we need a "guide for absolute noobs" on PSA around here or something... Well maybe not, but it would sure help me. :V

TBH, I looked at PK's guide and I couldn't make heads or tails of it or what to do with it. I really couldn't.

Plaid02

Smash Apprentice
So it ISN'T just that I'm too stupid to figure this out!

Seriously, we need a "guide for absolute noobs" on PSA around here or something... Well maybe not, but it would sure help me. :V

TBH, I looked at PK's guide and I couldn't make heads or tails of it or what to do with it. I really couldn't.
^ This.

10agreements

Top Bottom