• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M is like melee?

BlackRoxas13

Smash Rookie
So a few days back, I started going full competitive mostly on melee and smash 4, sadly my melee disc doesn't work, so I downloaded and installed project m, a few questions I have, mostly about how the game feels. (My main is marth)
First of all, is project m supposed to have the same speed and fisics than melee?. I remember back when my melee worked, I used to do a lot of ken combos (if that's what you call it here) and in project m I feel a little clunky, I can't move as fast as melee and I can't do ken combos either, I feel the fisics changed, and so the speed.
Second, how do I wavedash effectively? I'm starting to wavedash a lot better, but I don't seem to know when to use it.
Now L-cancel, I really have to do L-cancel everytime I use a aerial right? If don't do that I'm gonna get rekt right?

:marthmelee::linkmelee::marth::link2::toonlink::sonic::lucas::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4falco::4fox::4shulk::4lucas::4darkpit::4zss::4link::4duckhunt:

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Warning Received
I'm posting without reading; PM was here, Ash is a Loser.

#ProjectMelee

BlackRoxas13

Smash Rookie
I'm posting without reading; PM was here, Ash is a Loser.

#ProjectMelee

When I said read post before coment, it was with the purpose for the people to not confuse my post with something else, but either way, thanks? I guess, nice peach combo gif btw :v

deadPhoenix

Smash Apprentice
PM is like Melee in the way that it uses similar physics and incorporates all of the advanced tech of Melee. However, it is a mod of Brawl, so it's not going to feel exactly like Melee.

I play both quite a bit, and I can tell you that once you get used to the movement in both they both feel smooth. They do, however, feel different, so don't expect a character in Melee to feel the same as in PM and vice versa.

As for wavedashing, I would say keep practicing until you have it down smooth! Once you can successfully wavedash consistently in training, take it to friendlies or tournament with friends or your local scene, heck, even Netplay if you'd like, and try to just incorporate it into your play whenever you can. If you force yourself to use it in game, it will start to become second nature to you, and a tool.

Hope this helps!

yttik

PM does feel quite different to Melee if you are playing the same character in both. I'd usually say you should switch between the two games regularly, as to not get too used to one of them, but you just said that your Melee disk doesn't work so I guess that's not an option.

Just keep practising your wavedashes, if you say you're getting better you'll have the hang of it soon enough. There's not really much to say on how you do them (it's literally just airdodge after a jump), but I would recommend trying out different buttons (X,Y, L and R) to see if one of them works better for you.

When to use wavedashing? A basic use for wavedashing is just a very quick dash away/ in to the opponent. It's good because if you were to dash, your only offensive options are dash attack, grab and jump, but if you wavedash you can do any grounded option, like smash attacks for example. Another use could be to use it in conjunction with dashdancing, to extend your dash dance range or make your movement even more jittery and fast. Marth goes ham with this, his dash dance range is already really long so if you can mix in random wavedashes into it you'll be golden. This might be scary at first, but you can wavedash backwards near the ledge to grab it super quickly. Learn to do this whenever you need to, ledgehogging is super important, never be afraid of the ledge. Marth has the 4th best wavedash in the game, you'll learn to love it.

You don't have to L cancel every attack, but it's easier imo to just get in the habit of pressing the button every time you land after an attack instead of memorising every character's auto cancel moves/ laggy moves. You'll get rekt if the opponent can punish the lag.

BlackRoxas13

Smash Rookie
Yes!, thank you all, I'll keep practicing wavedash and L-cancel, and hopefully get my melee disc repaired

:marthmelee:

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
RIP Melee disc. ;_;

PM has a different feel to it, but it's definitely worth sinking your teeth into. It's my favorite version of smash, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! And if you ever want someone to play with online, feel free to add me.

Top Bottom