• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Online Matchmaking Thread (Wii)

Rags

Smash Ace
Well guys I'll train a bit, since I can't join rooms and people can't join mine. It's all good though

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Hm for some reason I don't even see you online!
edit: nvm see you!!
edit2: and so my join begins..

Last edited:

Halfminded

Smash Journeyman
That would be a no, haven't been able to join any games for 3 days. Anyone know whats up with the servers?
Thamauturge linked to this: http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/board42-kreativitaet/mkw-server-project-english/51254-wiimmfi-server/

By which from what I can read, the server manager found issues with the actual physical server hardware, and had to order a new one. It came in, but then he came down with an eye infection and is currently unable to install it. Says he will get on it as soon as he is all better.

Last edited:

ofna01

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1134-9609-8501
Thamauturge linked to this: http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/board42-kreativitaet/mkw-server-project-english/51254-wiimmfi-server/

By which from what I can read, the server manager found issues with the actual physical server hardware, and had to order a new one. It came in, but then he came down with an eye infection and is currently unable to install it. Says he will get on it as soon as he is all better.
Well, good as an excuse as any. Hope he gets better soon!

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Until the servers are reliable, meaning until the server manager gets better, I'd like to take this time to ask people how well they function in button lag.

For me, button isn't too big a deal for me as long as I play a few matches under a consistent button lag. But online, my edgeguarding still suffers, but I am getting better.

Button lag affects my kirby and zss the most. My zss style s more of a reaction-based kind, and as such, I have almost completely neglected to play zss online. As for kirby, it just takes a whole lot of online practice to play my kirby online just like how I play kirby in person. I'm getting there, but I've just been sticking to samus and lucario simce button lag punishes my use these characters in almost no way.

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
Until the servers are reliable, meaning until the server manager gets better, I'd like to take this time to ask people how well they function in button lag.

For me, button isn't too big a deal for me as long as I play a few matches under a consistent button lag. But online, my edgeguarding still suffers, but I am getting better.

Button lag affects my kirby and zss the most. My zss style s more of a reaction-based kind, and as such, I have almost completely neglected to play zss online. As for kirby, it just takes a whole lot of online practice to play my kirby online just like how I play kirby in person. I'm getting there, but I've just been sticking to samus and lucario simce button lag punishes my use these characters in almost no way.
Interesting question. It used to heavily affect me, but its not so bad when both people have a good connection. If that is the case, the lag is similar to the HDTV input lag at the student lounge at my college (yes, the input lag is THAT bad even with component cables). Since I played a lot in there, even with the lag, I am no stranger that button input lag.

It definitely affects my Falco more than Captain Falcon though. It used to be a hard adjustment for my Captain Falcon, but eventually I got the movement down pretty solid.

Paradoxium

Smash Master

Yea the lag has a big affect on me, but I find that ok. Really the only reason I play on wifi is because of the lag. The lag forces you to play on solid reads rather than reactions, It helps me play the game in a different way. I play in real life and go to a few tournaments here are there, so I am always switching between wifi and real life so my irl timing doesn't messed up. And i have to say wifi has allowed me to better manipulate my opponents and have much better reads.

But sometimes I hate playing wifi because it gives certain characters huge advantages aka Sonic, Mario, Link, Ivysaur, ect.

TheKmanOfSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5443-8100

I've played Brawl wi-fi for years, so I'm extremely used to even the worst of lag. I just pretend I'm playing offline and I make it happen.

The trick is trusting your reads and also your muscle memory rather than solely reacting to what you see on the screen. If you rely solely on what you're seeing on the screen, you'll always falter because your inputs and the visual cues don't line up properly. But if you just trust your reads, then you can respond prematurely to "beat the lag" and make it seem as if you reacted normally like you would offline. And if you trust your muscle memory, then you can get the same timings for combos and conversions that you would get offline without the visual delay messing you up.

I've recently started to play more reactively on wi-fi and I've had some good results so far. Too bad the servers are too busted for me to continue playing >.>

Rags

Smash Ace
that's what hurts me a LOT. I can't really do anything BUT make reads with Bowser since I can't react, that or resort to frame traps. Just can't react like how I want to which really hurts bowser since he doesn't really have combos so much as followups that you have to look out for and react. So if I'm always making reads, I'm just constantly gambling on what you'll do next. I mean it's still a good way to work on them while I play, but siiigh... haha

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
My entire style is focused on reads when it comes to Wi-Fi. I always flub my tech online for some reason, but offline I rarely do. Online is good for reads and gaining experience in MUs, thats my personal opinion.

Can't wait for the wiimmfi dude to fix up the server. Less lag? Me gusta.

Halfminded

Smash Journeyman
I find the nature of Wifi lag helpful to the improvement of my pattern recognition/punish game. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm a defensive player, but landing combo starters gets a lot easier the faster I can identify attack or movement patterns.
I think the lag also makes me think more ahead in combos, so that I can account for jank trajectories that slip out.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I still need to play both of them lol, hopefully when the servers are up I can do that. I haven't faced @ Paradoxium Paradoxium since like april
Last time I played him I got bodied. But I have improved fairly drastically since then. Pika may be fast and he may want my lunch money, but he can't have it. I'm trying to eat too!

Rags

Smash Ace
So you guys mean to say I've been playing just about all the good people coming into this thread? I'm only just a newbie! Well @ JDavisR (NIX) JDavisR (NIX) , might as well play you too. Consider this a MM, but minus the first M. Who do you consider your main/best?

JDavisR (NIX)

Smash Lord
NNID
Robertson1
3DS FC
2337-4618-3776
So you guys mean to say I've been playing just about all the good people coming into this thread? I'm only just a newbie! Well @ JDavisR (NIX) JDavisR (NIX) , might as well play you too. Consider this a MM, but minus the first M. Who do you consider your main/best?
My main/ best character is falco and I doubt you've played just about all the good players here, apparently I'm just really good or something lol

Rags

Smash Ace
I doubt it too, though everyone I've played they're like "hey you're really good!" I'm not good by any means, but can't hurt to play the really good people. I'm surprised by how much different smash is from the other fighters I've played. I wish I had gotten into it sooner, I feel like what I've learned from other fighters I have to un-learn just to improve in this. It's been a journey... :p

Top Bottom