• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Roster Reveal - Roy!

GigasOverlord

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully this discovered clone engine is improved more and more as time goes on.

While 2 or 3 newcomers that are clone (ish) are nice, let's just say that getting greedy with a roster size expansion is never a bad thing! :shades:
I agree. We should sit on the hype that is Roy and the Clone Engine, then flip goddamn tables when they decide to be badass wizards and reveal something else extraordinary.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I agree. We should sit on the hype that is Roy and the Clone Engine, then flip goddamn tables when they decide to be badass wizards and reveal something else extraordinary.
All this wizardry is making Hogwarts jealous.

You know what that means=???

Black Mage confirmed for Project M!!!

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Hopefully this discovered clone engine is improved more and more as time goes on.

While 2 or 3 newcomers that are clone (ish) are nice, let's just say that getting greedy with a roster size expansion is never a bad thing! :shades:
I think they'll play their cards pretty conservatively when it comes to picking characters, though. Not only do they have to avoid getting slammed by Nintendo (which is way more likely now that they're actually able to add significant content), but they have to pick things that make perfect sense for their roster (and nothing less). It's just how they do things.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
If they make Pichu competitively viable, I will be very disappointed. If someone went to a Street Fighter board and suggested making Dan viable, she'd be laughed out.
Dan was viable to an extent in the Alpha series (I think SFA2) and in AE 2012, he can actually kinda play with the rest of the cast. At a national tournament last year, a Dan even got Top-8. And he's getting buffed in USF4.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Talk about his fast-fall and his sword system. Also talk about how they changed him a lot for PM. Focus on the dancing blade and the new aerials.
If that doesn't work, tell them that Roy comes from a superior Fire Emblem game lol.
No. Just No.
Roy's game was a huge step back from the Super Nintendo games.

Also New Mystery of the Emblem was so much better that it's not even fair.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think they'll play their cards pretty conservatively when it comes to picking characters, though. Not only do they have to avoid getting slammed by Nintendo (which is way more likely now that they're actually able to add significant content), but they have to pick things that make perfect sense for their roster (and nothing less). It's just how they do things.
Well the Melee characters and the Brawl characters are the top priority.

Also, I doubt Nintendo cares, seeing as how the Wii has been dead to them since like the beginning of 2012.

I mean, why would they care about or stop a non-profit mod of a game you have to buy on a console you have to buy in order to play it and own it=???

If Nintendo is gonna stop this fan mod, then they gotta stop several dozen mods and fan games first (like Pokémon Online).

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

Also, I doubt Nintendo cares, seeing as how the Wii has been dead to them since like the beginning of 2012.

I mean, why would they care about or stop a non-profit mod of a game you have to buy on a console you have to buy in order to play it and own it=???

If Nintendo is gonna stop this fan mod, then they gotta stop several dozen mods and fan games first (like Pokémon Online).
This is exactly what I was trying to say to this guy before. But he, and many others it seems, are all acting too paranoid to think logically about this.

Nintendo would only try hard to stop something like this if PMBR was trying to make a profit off of it, but they're not. It's Non-Profit. Therefore, it is harmless and seen as nothing short of fanwork. This applies even to modifications of games. If that wasn't a case, hardly any games would have any heavy mods to them, especially PC games with get extremely detailed mods that get lots more attention on a daily basis than Project: M does most of the time.

On a completely unrelated note, why the **** does anyone even want Pichu? He's seriously not worth another slot. Just give what very little is good about him to Pikachu and call it a day.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
We are not related to Nintendo in any way. They probably know about us by now though.

People do play Project M on the Wii and the Wii U, so I don't think it's much of a nuisance to them. It's like a free indie expansion to them.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord

Yeah, of course (so long as we're excluding irrelevant/non-competitive characters like Doc/YL/Pichu). After them, I meant.

I think it's more about SSB4 and Wii U/3DS sales. They wouldn't like people being able to go out, get a used version of their old system and game, and get something pretty similar to their new product. I spent about $70 the other day getting everything I needed to run P:M while I'm at college, and none of that money went to them since it was through a local used game store.

Then there's that whole Melee at Evo thing, although I don't know if the backlash is going to change later actions.

Pokemon's a little different, though. The PMBR has the potential now to include different franchises, even into the third-party realm when considering Mega Man. That could get a lot more messy because of how many different groups would then get involved.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
And EVO was free advertisement for the Smash series and we see how that almost went over. Nintendo's recent history in regards to its fans and any sort of media coverage is pretty bad.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Nintendo would only try hard to stop something like this if PMBR was trying to make a profit off of it, but they're not. It's Non-Profit. Therefore, it is harmless and seen as nothing short of fanwork. This applies even to modifications of games. If that wasn't a case, hardly any games would have any heavy mods to them, especially PC games with get extremely detailed mods that get lots more attention on a daily basis than Project: M does most of the time.

On a completely unrelated note, why the **** does anyone even want Pichu? He's seriously not worth another slot. Just give what very little is good about him to Pikachu and call it a day.
Legally they can do what they want, though; and as I said a second ago, some people might look to it as a cheap alternative of sorts. I don't really think it's paranoid.

Yeah, I don't see the charm to it either.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
People do play Project M on the Wii and the Wii U, so I don't think it's much of a nuisance to them. It's like a free indie expansion to them.
I really hope that they see it this way, and that P:M can push along as it likes with no worry, but I don't know. I hope someone in the PMBR is talking with Nintendo about this stuff so they can proceed seamlessly.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We are not related to Nintendo in any way. They probably know about us by now though.

Exactly. Aside from a few people emulating it, everyone needs a copy of Brawl and a Wii or Wii U, which all of that gains Nintendo money.

I know I was gonna sell my Wii after Brawl disappointed me and games like Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess had no replay value, but then Project M and other mods happened, so I am keeping this console forever, and honestly, even if Smash Wii U and 3DS are a disappointment to me, the mods will inevitably come and make those games great, which also makes Nintendo good money because I will buy a 3DS and Wii U (approximately $500-$600 in stuff) and 2 games totally about $100 for that. That's a lot of revenue right there.
Nintendo would only try hard to stop something like this if PMBR was trying to make a profit off of it, but they're not. It's Non-Profit. Therefore, it is harmless and seen as nothing short of fanwork.
Exactly.
Because Pichu has an opportunity for being an amazing playable character. He could be a true high risk/high reward character. It could have tons of combos and ability to kill early and just go totally bonkers offensively, or it could get KO'd in like 3 hits because it is super light.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Legally they can do what they want, though; and as I said a second ago, some people might look to it as a cheap alternative of sorts. I don't really think it's paranoid.

Yeah, I don't see the charm to it either.
Okay, first off, if people end up buying Brawl to play P:M, that's more money from Nintendo. Plus, Brawl still sells for 50 bucks new and about $44 used. Not really a "cheap" alternative. Granted, this is assuming you don't already have the game. I highly doubt a ton of people are going to NOT buy Smash 4 in favor of P:M, though. It'd make more sense to buy Smash 4 and try out P:M too.

And in regards to what Nintendo could do or could have done by now, Brawl hacking has never been a "hush-hush" thing for them. it's had tons of publicity ever since the days of Syntax Error, if anyone here remembers them. if Ninty really wanted to crack down on any kind of modification of Brawl that involved characters not owned by them or characters that weren't in Smash originally, they have a very easy method of doing it since they're all in one single place.

tl;dr: If it was really that big of a deal, why does KC:MM's BrawlVault still exist?

They could easily shut it and the whole site down and then throw their C&D and crack down on everything related to it. They've had plenty of years to do it but haven't done anything aside from System Updates tat may take the Homebrew stuff off the Wii or brick it completely, both of which have been rendered useless due to ways to either prevent it or work around it being made constantly. They've stopped doing those updates and are fully focused on the Wii U.

So...yeah. What exactly is everyone afraid of?

Because Pichu has an opportunity for being an amazing playable character. He could be a true high risk/high reward character. It could have tons of combos and ability to kill early and just go totally bonkers offensively, or it could get KO'd in like 3 hits because it is super light.
It's still just a baby Pikachu. It'll be too much like the thing anyway and there isn't much point or appeal to the character. There are so many more worthwhile choices than Pichu whose only trait that stands out is being adorable and self-mutilation.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
implying we can't make pichu an amazing character

oops
I don't doubt you can't make him amazing. You guys could make a damn monster character out of buttered toast, I'm sure.

I simply see no point or appeal in doing so since it's just Pichu. That's what I'm asking.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Okay, first off, if people end up buying Brawl to play P:M, that's more money from Nintendo. Plus, Brawl still sells for 50 bucks new and about $44 used. Not really a "cheap" alternative. Granted, this is assuming you don't already have the game. I highly doubt a ton of people are going to NOT buy Smash 4 in favor of P:M, though. It'd make more sense to buy Smash 4 and try out P:M too.

And in regards to what Nintendo could do or could have done by now, Brawl hacking has never been a "hush-hush" thing for them. it's had tons of publicity ever since the days of Syntax Error, if anyone here remembers them. if Ninty really wanted to crack down on any kind of modification of Brawl that involved characters not owned by them or characters that weren't in Smash originally, they have a very easy method of doing it since they're all in one single place.

tl;dr: If it was really that big of a deal, why does KC:MM's BrawlVault still exist?

They could easily shut it and the whole site down and then throw their C&D and crack down on everything related to it. They've had plenty of years to do it but haven't done anything aside from System Updates tat may take the Homebrew stuff off the Wii or brick it completely, both of which have been rendered useless due to ways to either prevent it or work around it being made constantly. They've stopped doing those updates and are fully focused on the Wii U.

So...yeah. What exactly is everyone afraid of?
I honestly think more people than not are going to do both if they get P:M around that time, as you say. The problem is that it's actually cheaper than that if you don't have the things already. When I said I spent $70, that was on literally everything minus a TV and GC controller (Wii, remote, game, SD card, etc). It wasn't hard to find stuff cheap, either. At that price, I'm worried.

I think the core of it is P:M's approach, which is awesome, but Nintendo could see it as a potential danger as of recently. They want things to be easy to set up, so that more people can play. I for one started playing in April with no knowledge, but now I can do a lot of editing to the game, through BV mostly. Now, with them stepping up their game more and more, things are going to escalate. People are going to spread word and it'll get played by more people, especially since Smash is already being talked about with SSB4.

I may be wrong, but it seems very possible to me that Nintendo will see any sort of character addition from a non-Smash game, especially if it's third-party, as something that challenges their product. In a way, I would agree with that, because it's really the biggest thing out there: you get to add the characters, which are the focus of the game, without removing other ones. Having Mega Man (as the most severe example) in P:M, considering how awesome it'd be, would make me less inclined to buy SSB4 (even though I will anyway).

So that's my worry. I don't mean to upset anyone and I appreciate your input, but it's something to consider IMO.
I don't doubt you can't make him amazing. You guys could make a damn monster character out of buttered toast, I'm sure.

I simply see no point or appeal in doing so since it's just Pichu. That's what I'm asking.
Yeah. There's gotta be something more iconic that can be risky like that.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Saving Page Spaaaaaaace

So that's my worry. I don't mean to upset anyone and I appreciate your input, but it's something to consider IMO.

Yeah. There's gotta be something more iconic that can be risky like that.
You're not upsetting anyone by bringing up a concern. That's nothing to be worried about. XD

I just find that there's to many "coulds" and "maybes" in everyone's worries without anything solid to back up those worries aside from what happened at EVO with Melee which in the grand scheme of things doesn't have a single thing to do with this. Especially since it's a completely different matter for a completely different game. But we've rambled off-topic long enough.

Back to Roy, I REALLY wanna see what the fourth backwards attack of Double-Edge Dance looks like and how it functions. D:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
You're not upsetting anyone by bringing up a concern. That's nothing to be worried about. XD

I just find that there's to many "coulds" and "maybes" in everyone's worries without anything solid to back up those worries aside from what happened at EVO with Melee which in the grand scheme of things doesn't have a single thing to do with this. Especially since it's a completely different matter for a completely different game. But we've rambled off-topic long enough.

Back to Roy, I REALLY wanna see what the fourth backwards attack of Double-Edge Dance looks like and how it functions. D:
I just wasn't sure if I was riling up some people is all. Glad I wasn't.

In terms of actual statements or anything, yeah, there's nothing. I'm really on the fence about it but figured it's best to play devil's advocate so people don't get too confident.

It wasn't in the video? I swore it was. Anyway, it looks like it's a great contribution to his game.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord

Because if you took the time to actually be good at Pichu he was an amazingly fun high risk high reward player and it'd be amazing to see what the PMBR could do with his character to make him viable without sacrificing what made him unique (yes, that includes his electric based attacks inflicting damage on himself)

Slashy

Smash Lord
Maybe they can just throw in Mewtwo, Roy in this round.

Then they can release afterwards Super Smash Bros. Project M EXTRA. Where they start balancing items, throw in more stages, and add Ridley, Micaiah, Krystal, and Tails to the roster.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
This is exactly what I was trying to say to this guy before. But he, and many others it seems, are all acting too paranoid to think logically about this.

Okay, first of all don't try and predict Nintendo. YOU CANT. **** they stopped people from making "lets play" videos without them gaining 100% of revenue. Do you know how little money there is to make in "let's play videos"? Also, they have ordered Cease and Desist on many non-profit games featuring nintendo worlds and characters.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I like how people say that Pichu shouldn't be remade because he's "not viable" when he's not even considered the worst character in Melee. Maybe there are other reasons for excluding him (or maybe not), but viability certainly shouldn't be one of them.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Okay, first of all don't try and predict Nintendo. YOU CANT. **** they stopped people from making "lets play" videos without them gaining 100% of revenue. Do you know how little money there is to make in "let's play videos"? Also, they have ordered Cease and Desist on many non-profit games featuring nintendo worlds and characters.
They stopped doing both of those ages ago and very quickly, I might add. Not valid. Not even worried.

Hi SiLeNtDo0m. ¦D

Vigilante

Smash Lord
The fourth edge dance attack is interesting. I want to see what people come up with. I gues smos tof you must have noticed by now that most edge-dance animation have been somewhat reworked to look different from Marth's for example.

Oniperson

Smash Cadet
Can't you guys just Beta out Roy to us for a little bit? Just a test drive before the full release:) We promise we wont do anything to hurt him, we'll return him in PERFECT condition.

We're ALL *DYING* over here! (I speak for everyone now I guess)

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Update: I found the guy that responded to me before (username SOJ) through initially contacting one of the other guys that worked on the video. After asking if he could confirm the whole multiple characters thing, he said he can't say. Screenshot is attached.

However, I heard from Nanobuds that "we can clone almost anyone we want", which means that projectiles probably aren't a limitation. He's a PMBR member for those that don't know. That thread is here:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=43364.390

Attachments

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
How to prevent a Nintendo Cease & Desist:

1. Start a donation drive to decide which character get's released in 2.6c.
2. Raise 90 million dollars for cancer research.
3. Nintendo can't touch you in fear of bad PR over shutting down a charity.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
How to prevent a Nintendo Cease & Desist:

1. Start a donation drive to decide which character get's released in 2.6c.
2. Raise 90 million dollars for cancer research.
3. Nintendo can't touch you in fear of bad PR over shutting down a charity.
Who should we write our checks to?

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I give Sonic a pass since he's so iconic and has a decent amount of his Sonic Battle moves, which I love. I honestly think he should have a more iconic moveset (which he's totally capable of), but it's what it is. Shadow would be tougher to do like that since he's not as classic as Sonic is. My main gripe with the Shadow PSAs is that his powers are really straightforward; Chaos Spear is like Pit's arrows, but faster/unable to be aimed; Chaos Control is just like Teleport; Chaos Blast is just an area move, etc. What's his catch?

There was instances of that in what are considered pretty bad Sonic games; Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06. We don't talk about those. haha

I don't blame you, honestly. If there were 2-3x more resources for P:M to put things together, why not? I just don't want a spot to be used over something better. I honestly hope they run some polls, but I sincerely doubt it.
You could say "what's the catch" to a lot of moves and characters in SSB, it depends on how you make the character play, and I'm not saying copy and paste from the pre-existing PSAs, you can do a lot of stuff with all his chaos powers, you can use your imagination too, I'm just saying he brings a lot of material to the table to put to unique use

I think he's somewhat iconic now, not nearly as much but damn if I've ever met a person who hasn't played Sonic Adventure 2 and loved it(except one of my friends), he was of enough importance to Sakurai to make him an Assist Trophy

And another big point was to make it easier for the PMBR:

It's important to recognize that obviously Roy shares a basic skeleton as Marth, which simplifies development for him exponentially. I've seen a lot of character suggestions, assumptions, and requests fly around that don't realize that making a character is more than just making a model and a tweaking some values - There's a couple hundred animations that need to be made... Which doesn't seem to be considered by most.
Shadow is the same basic skeleton as Sonic, and there's already a crap ton of animations for Shadow out there that could just be tweaked if it was even needed, honestly this should be enough of a reason right here, not even considering the fact of his popularity, you have to think on what's a reasonable thing to ask from them, making a character from scratch is too much

I quit Sonic after SA2, Heroes was crap and the rest looked worse and worse

I'm just saying I think the PMBR would get a lot less flak from hardcore Nintendo fanboys and SSB enthusiasts if they made AT's characters since they were already somewhat in the game, this is all assuming they'll even add someone in besides Roy, but I don't think it's bad to discuss, they HAD to know this would happen when they revealed Roy

I don't wanna argue about this anymore though, it's up to the PMBR, but it would be awesome to see some polls if they do decide to add another character

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they can just throw in Mewtwo, Roy in this round.

Then they can release afterwards Super Smash Bros. Project M EXTRA. Where they start balancing items, throw in more stages, and add Ridley, Micaiah, Krystal, and Tails to the roster.
Let's avoid bad fighting game practices, shall we? :p

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
You could say "what's the catch" to a lot of moves and characters in SSB, it depends on how you make the character play, and I'm not saying copy and paste from the pre-existing PSAs, you can do a lot of stuff with all his chaos powers, you can use your imagination too, I'm just saying he brings a lot of material to the table to put to unique use

I think he's somewhat iconic now, not nearly as much but damn if I've ever met a person who hasn't played Sonic Adventure 2 and loved it(except one of my friends), he was of enough importance to Sakurai to make him an Assist Trophy

And another big point was to make it easier for the PMBR:

Shadow is the same basic skeleton as Sonic, and there's already a crap ton of animations for Shadow out there that could just be tweaked if it was even needed, honestly this should be enough of a reason right here, not even considering the fact of his popularity, you have to think on what's a reasonable thing to ask from them, making a character from scratch is too much

I quit Sonic after SA2, Heroes was crap and the rest looked worse and worse

I'm just saying I think the PMBR would get a lot less flak from hardcore Nintendo fanboys and SSB enthusiasts if they made AT's characters since they were already somewhat in the game, this is all assuming they'll even add someone in besides Roy, but I don't think it's bad to discuss, they HAD to know this would happen when they revealed Roy

I don't wanna argue about this anymore though, it's up to the PMBR, but it would be awesome to see some polls if they do decide to add another character
In fairness, he does have a lot going for him vs. other choices. He is popular (especially from SA2), built on Sonic, and is an assist trophy. If they did Shadow after Mewtwo and the rest of the Brawl cast, I probably wouldn't be that upset. It's just that I think most of us would prefer originality over the past PSA movesets. If they manage to blow those out of the water (by a good amount), I'd be very interested, because I like him, too.

This kind of talk had to have been expected. It was already happening. haha

AFROofJUSTICE

Smash Cadet
Even though Pichu is one of my least favorite characters. I do see him having some interesting play style in PM (like I said in my previous post). But that is the only thing I can compliment him on. I really don't care if pichu doesn't make it.

I imagine PMBR is going to make Mewtwo and then pick really popular characters like Ridley, Krystal, or Shadow. I am guessing it depends on how popular the character is. I don't think we should have some kind of poll for who should be in PM because it could possibly get people upset about their favorite character not making it. I want to see what PMBR wants to put in.

Top Bottom