• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: M Smash Boards Migration And You

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Dear the PMBR, AlphaZealot, the P:M community, and everyone else involved with the movement of P:M to Smash Boards

Moving over to Smash Boards with its own forums is a massive push for the Project:M expansion into a more mainstream audience, but I'm afraid it's slowed down some of Smash Mods' perks.

The biggest one that comes to mind is the clarity of the announcements and the ease of access to them, and commenting on them. That will be much less significant if everyone P:M update fix is hidden somewhere behind two or three clicks from the Smash Boards home page.
The ease of access to the IRC isn't there any more. It used to be literally one click from any page on Smash Mods then you're there to ask a quick question or see what other Smashers are up to.
Bug reporting is less obvious now, and at the moment I literally can't seem to find the thread for it if there is one.
The last one that comes to mind, and the one that personally hurts the most, is the removal of the P:M specific workshop.
P:M is a game that in so many areas is separate from Brawl. At the core a lot of modding is similar, but so many stages, for example, need to be P:M specific. Things like character color changes that come default with P:M and aren't from Brawl force people to have to make the P:M version, and often they end up only making a P:M version. I know I'll have a severe bias to this, but my HUD thread was made for P:M. If I posted it onto the BrawlslashP:M Workshop place, only so many would be able to download it, and in the end the Brawl/P:M mix up of textures and coding could mess up a lot.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4006/pmworkshop.png

I know Smash Mods wasn't perfect, and, once again, going to Smash Boards is a huge step in the right direction, but I hope that there's still hope to fix a few of these things before people get too settled in.
Thanks for reading.

I hope I posted this in the right place.

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
I agree man. Between the IRC and my habit of checking the Twitter feed and news page, I feel like I am using 2 websites now. I am posting on the forums of SWF but for everything else im on the smods site. Its a little weird, but I'm sure after everything is done these things will be accomodated, somehow.

Maybe someone should make a stickied thread with a link to the IRC.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
IRC is linked on the Project M website.

Ham. You said almost exactly what I was going to say. I had a lot more. But on the subjects you covered you got them perfect.
I'm more upset that these forums are a cluster of everything.
I wish there was a clear "Help", "Announcements", and characters. I would like more as you suggested but the PMBR probably won't do that for whatever reason.

:phone:

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
IRC is linked on the Project M website.

Ham. You said almost exactly what I was going to say. I had a lot more. But on the subjects you covered you got them perfect.
I'm more upset that these forums are a cluster of everything.
I wish there was a clear "Help", "Announcements", and characters. I would like more as you suggested but the PMBR probably won't do that for whatever reason.

You seem pretty upset about the forum transition. I've seen your other posts on the subject. Just remember, small amenities aside, this is all about community. I don't mind where I'm discussing as long as its with you gaiz :embarrass:

:V ELBOW DAZE SAYS BE HAPPY.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I'm just upset everything's so clustered now. :T That's really important to new users who need help. Now that everything's all shoved into a tiny little space threads will just be skipped over and ignored.
Like my Onett Camera Issue thread. It was fixed. But I was worried I was ignored and my favorite stage would be flawed.
I've calmed down now.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
For some reason I just think it would've been easier to just have a few redirect links from here that lead to the smashmod page. Just my 2 cents, but everything looked and felt better over there imo. /shrug

DvarakElt

Smash Apprentice
Project:M workshop would be appriciated. It's nice to have a place where all the mods are geared towards not affecting a game's balance and generally working with the competitive aspects of a game with out wading through various model imports and hitbox alterations which are incompattible with the spirit of Project:M

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
That's nice to know. My fears are now put to rest.
Even if nothing changed from the current layout we'll know it wasn't for lack of trying. :p

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
We need a Workshop, Bug Report, and a Suggestions (Non-character) sub-area. That is it.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
A Project M Workshop would be much appreciated, since it had enough niche uses to warrant getting its own separate forum on Smashmods in the first place.

Plus, since P:M is being treated as its "own game" now, with its own discussion forum and character forums just like Brawl and Melee, it should get its own workshop just like the other two have.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Why exactly? The only difference between Brawl and Project M is stages. Does that warrant a whole new section? P:Minty, Maritime, Mars all benefit vBrawl as well. HUDs can be semi-universal as well.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Why exactly? The only difference between Brawl and Project M is stages. Does that warrant a whole new section? P:Minty, Maritime, Mars all benefit vBrawl as well. HUDs can be semi-universal as well.

I'm not 100% sure, but i think they have two very different coding structures.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
lol What are you guys talking about? Nothing in the workshop has any GCT edits except for Shun_One's request only (for that reason) version of his CSS.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Why do people keep saying this? The forums are directly under the current Project M forum (redirects to smashboards + applications to PMBR)
Because the sites layout is pretty wonky, and people are naturally directed to clicking on the P:M, then going to forum.
Smash Mods' layout doesn't have good conveyance.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
First time here and everything seems so cluttered. I'll get used to it. I guess the only reason I'll be going back to Smash Mods is SD Remix.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
You don't really believe this to be the case, do you?

They are totally different games...
Dude. You read my post totally out of context. I was talking about having a P:M workshop seperate to vBrawl.

Most things that make this a totally different game are in the code set which we can't touch.
We edit the HUD which is similar If not the same and could be used in vBrawl. SSS can be used in vBrawl. Characters don't have edited bones so they can be used in vBrawl.
The stages are the only thing that we mess with that are exclusive to P:M. All their changed collisions and what not.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
So basically user error.
I'm sure that's what Microsoft is saying about Windows 8 too, doesn't change the fact it blows chucks for many people to do the most basic things.

Project M is following the art of ergonomics in how the game is designed and by having all the forums under one roof as well. Doesn't mean this can't be improved upon and it should be.

I've been saying forever Smashboards needs a front page and most of these issues will be solved.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Last I used the dropbox and pressed forum it took me to the forum, then I used the flow thing up above (below the banner in white) to get to the main page of the forum.

EDIT: Also pressing the banner takes you to the forum with all the sub forums.
No offense... But why are you having a hard time with this?

Top Bottom