• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
So I've decided that I'm officially going to mostlyretire from smash soon. I'm gonna go to NY with my friends, make one last vid with Gallo and Nox

It'll be great

F uck esports

You guys are like the best internet friends I've ever had I ****ing love all y'all. If it wasnt for this game I prolly would've killed myself by now
Yeah. I'm going to be your retirement match. I'm Brock Lesnar, you The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 30. I'm going to end the streak.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
it's fitting to compare smash retirements to pro wrestling retirements, because nobody ever retires in pro wrestling until they're dead

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
If it wasn't for PM, I wouldn't have gotten to know a considerable group of people I can easily call my closest friends.

If it wasn't for PM, I wouldn't have made a Smashboards account and met all you (mostly) fine folks.

If it wasn't for PM, I wouldn't have discovered there was a scene in my own hometown and made even more friends.

If it wasn't for PM, my love for Smash might've ceased to exist.

Thanks.

Now let's keep the ball rolling, shall we?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????

this was supposed to be in the launcher for what would've been the next version

sounds nice. bittersweet, in hindsight, but... uplifting. a good tune to listen to

D

Deleted member

Man, for what it's worth I hope you guys didn't just trash hundreds of hours of labor...

... I understand the legal front and the public image deal, it IS sticky business.

Wouldn't it be crazy if all the stuff you guys worked on, somehow just... leaked on the internet, and other modders picked it up? Haha, talk about crazy right? But I mean, it's not like info leaks from the dev team are uncommon, hell, it's even happened to Nintendo, and it... wouldn't be your fault you know? You wouldn't be responsible if... other people picked up from where you left off... independently.

Some people just REALLY wanna play as those characters. Haha. Right? It'd be a real pity for it all to just... go to waste.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Some people just REALLY wanna play as those characters. Haha. Right? It'd be a real pity for it all to just... go to waste.
That was really the only reason why I got into PM. A certain video got me hyped but now I feel empty.

...Like John Cena not having the WWE Championship.

...Or Roman Reigns not looking really really strong.

...Or being in a room full of anime/Melee nerds with no way out.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
Man, for what it's worth I hope you guys didn't just trash hundreds of hours of labor...

... I understand the legal front and the public image deal, it IS sticky business.

Wouldn't it be crazy if all the stuff you guys worked on, somehow just... leaked on the internet, and other modders picked it up? Haha, talk about crazy right? But I mean, it's not like info leaks from the dev team are uncommon, hell, it's even happened to Nintendo, and it... wouldn't be your fault you know? You wouldn't be responsible if... other people picked up from where you left off... independently.

Sometimes you just gotta let the "what if?"s be "what if?"s, man. :/

SunJester

Smash Ace
You guys are like the best internet friends I've ever had I ****ing love all y'all. If it wasnt for this game I prolly would've killed myself by now
Jesus, you too?

We're still here bro <3

****, everyone wants to keep going huh? Well **** it, lets do it until Nintendo really shuts us down.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
For almost a year now I've been incredibly excited for all the content that was rumoured to appear in 4.0. I saw the video leak of the two characters, the Knuckles tweet and the Strong Bad mess up on stream. All three of these things just served to hype me up more.

Today I was told that it was an impossibility for me to every experience playing as any of these characters; a character designed by the development team that I trusted most with competitive balance. I'm disappointed beyond reasonable words at this moment.

Not for one second did I worry about the continued meta of 3.6 becoming bad as a result of the halt of development after seeing this horrible announcement but I did get very depressed that we would never see this content. I'm personally very optimistic about the future of the game from a competitive standpoint, doesn't' change the fact that I'm still quite sad about this incident though.

At least I can see the possible (probable?) leak of the dev build as a silver lining on this situation. I'm usually pretty reserved about this kind of thing, but this happening would make this ****ty day at least somewhat less depressing for me. Either way I thank the PMDT for their work on this mod. I'll continue to host tournaments in my region for as long as I can.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I can't possibly understand the reasoning for PMDT disbanding if there's no C&D and PMDT isn't involved with wavedash games. I don't just let things go like that. I have to know- I refuse to stay blind. Surely there is a(n) (ex-)PMDT member who will say something.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I can't possibly understand the reasoning for PMDT disbanding if there's no C&D and PMDT isn't involved with wavedash games. I don't just let things go like that. I have to know- I refuse to stay blind. Surely there is a(n) (ex-)PMDT member who will say something.
That's how I feel. I don't want to let it go, as it is, it feels like an old friend has up and died without warning and all that's left is an emptiness in their wake. I need closure for my now deceased friend (Project M). Yeah, it's still available to play, but that sense of hype, of wonder at what the PMDT would eventually add, what they would do in the future kept us coming back. I need to know what actually happened, being left not knowing is probably the worst feeling right now.

D

Deleted member

It's like the Game Grumps breaking up all over again.

People just aren't gonna let this one go, are they?

This simply means it won't bode well for those Wavedash guys, especially now that rumor has spread.

No matter what the PMDT denies at this point, enough people will hold onto something the seem believable, that it will be the common thought among communities. In short, whatever the truth, this'll just be bad PR for the Wavedash guys, really bad PR in fact.

This is why silence on such matters is a terrible idea. You leave enough room for people to infer whatever they want, and oftentimes, this becomes more real than the truth to the majority.

Never underestimate the flow of information. What actually happened is never as poweful as what people believed happened. #everyconspiracytheoryever

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I'm hoping the community (and any stealth developers) take it upon themselves to fix any lingering bugs and give us the true Gold version we never got. I mean improving the game not adding new characters or anything ridiculous that deviates from the product we love.

And before people say that's disrespectful, to mod a mod of someone else's game, think about that train of logic please.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm hoping the community (and any stealth developers) take it upon themselves to fix any lingering bugs and give us the true Gold version we never got. I mean improving the game not adding new characters or anything ridiculous that deviates from the product we love.

And before people say that's disrespectful, to mod a mod of someone else's game, think about that train of logic please.
Literally everything is derivative work of another copy of a copy of a copy:

https://youtu.be/d9ryPC8bxqE

People who are "puritan" about this sorta stuff, are abso-****ing-lutely ********. PM also serves yet another case example of how copyright actually stifles creativity by turning everything into a zero sum game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I've never been into Project M competitively, but it's seriously depressing to see everything end so suddenly like this. Project M 4.0 was one of the few games I was seriously looking forward to.

I've been modding my copy of Brawl for years, and Project M was the sole reason I still kept playing even after Smash 4 landed.

Fare thee well, Project M.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I've never been into Project M competitively, but it's seriously depressing to see everything end so suddenly like this. Project M 4.0 was one of the few games I was seriously looking forward to.

I've been modding my copy of Brawl for years, and Project M was the sole reason I still kept playing even after Smash 4 landed.

Fare thee well, Project M.
Yeah, like, that's what HURTS the most. It ends just LIKE THAT. Out of no-where, even after some news of content being worked on as Alt's and such.

I played some P: M at times, and even brought it to a friends house to play it weeks back. Little did I know that would be one of the few times where I knew that P: M was 'safe' in my mind till now.

Also, the reason I even boot up Brawl regardless of SM4SH in place of 'go-to' game.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Hey. I know how you feel at the moment. The sudden sensation, filling your brain with both disbelief and sadness. It's something we all experienced In some point of our life.

Part of you dosen't want to believe it would happen and yet, at the same time, you fight within yourself to block it out. Or worse, wanting to forget and abandon because the news was too much for your own being to handle. We all had this moment one way or the other.

That's what is for me now. Something I cared for all my life upon knowing it's existence, pointed to as a a relief in my most dire moment, coop me into a stronger bond with someone I hold dear to me, has finally stopped.

PM is to me like a tree of massive knowledge and bountiful fruits. During it's time it started off small and frail. But as the day grew to nights and seasons turned years, this tree bacame stronger and bonded with the foundation it started with, giving us fruits of its capabilities and knowledge.

But as with all trees, no matter how long it seems to survive, it must eventually pass on.

Still never look at to what has happened to the growth of PM. Always look at what it has left behind during it's life. The boards, the forums, the exclusive tourneys, and most importantly, the friends we've made.

I love you guys. You were there when I couldn't find my way back home. It was because of PM I found everyone of you. Even with the tree of what brought us together being forever witherd from growing again, let's enjoy what keeps us together. Let's play some PM.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
If this is truly the end, I hope we can have some sort of sendoff at Genesis 3 even it's organized in hotel rooms.

We'll watch WWE Raw afterwards.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
I'm not going anywhere no matter what, but even with that said, ladies, gentlemen, and otherwise, it has been an honor spending time here with you all.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
no doubt something will come out eventually.

D

Deleted member

welp

Melee Falcon won't be too bad, I can still be a top player in my area without PM, he's who I started with anyways

wait

>darkrain lives in my region now
>****

D

Deleted member

It's bound to make a comeback somehow. Especially if the current dev build is leaked for others to work on.

Not to mention, the WiiU has been cracked already, and the modding scene for Smash 4 is on the horizon. Do you guys really believe people won't wanna declone DP and Lucina? Do you guys really believe people won't wanna readd Snake and IC? Do you guys really think people won't be wanting to make something like PM in Smash 4 especially after PM already set the precedent?

PM is part of something much bigger, and they acquired a large enough fanbase who is more than eager to keep the fire burning, even if they themselves don't hold the banner. Imo, PM is a huge leap forward in modding and showing what dedicated fans can do for simple passion and vision.

Don't forget that the PMDT themselves officially stated they had no plans for WiiU. But other people want to.

The fire was started, and this setback won't be enough to put it out.

There will be a comeback. It might take half a decade or so, but mark my words, you will see some sort of comback.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Wait, what?

Why is everyone acting like

we can't just

keep playing the game
It's not that we can't keep playing the game, it's that after charging forward with such a bang for so long...it just goes out with a whimper at the very end, with stuff shown off that we'll never actually get.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Wait, what?

Why is everyone acting like

we can't just

keep playing the game
On an informal level, and at locals, yes. But the future of PM tournaments is in extreme jeopardy right now. The scene has taken hits before but for the developers to not want to touch the game ever again like it was radioactive is going to make anyone who wanted to include PM in the future think very carefully.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It wasn't my primary game, yeah, but it's still saddening to see it go.

The most I can hope for is that Nintendo struck a deal with them; you know how notorious they are about keeping their developers under strict secrecy.

ilysm

sleepy
Pwnz0rz Man Pwnz0rz Man Comeback Kid Comeback Kid @Everyone who saw my first post: Listen, I understand that it's going to be tricky to continue forward without the dev team at the center of everything, holding everything down. But we haven't lost everything. The game isn't just over. It hasn't 'gone out with a whimper'; it hasn't gone out at all. It hasn't 'been a good run', the run isn't over yet. I'm not 'sad to see it go'; it hasn't gone anywhere yet. We don't have a continuous stream of updates and features, okay. We've still got top players. We've still got central community members. We've still got dedicated streams that, if I had to guess, are not going down without a fight. We have gathering places and email addresses and Youtube accounts. We have Smashboards. We have Reddit. We have Hitbox. We have the Ladder.

Also, nobody's stopping us from playing Project M.

Our community has always been regarded as one of the 'softest' ones of any Smash game. We've been reliant on devs and higher-ups to organize and inform us and humor our requests (and pestering) almost since the beginning of the game. Now we're not. How is that the end? How is that an impossible situation? I feel pretty confident saying Nintendo stopped caring about Melee at least eight years ago. I don't need to remind you of everything that community has accomplished. We've always claimed we're a 'real' game, we've always claimed we're a 'real' scene.

Now we've got a chance to show it.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
They'll have to try and stop us.
@Pinne Permanent solutions to temporary problems are never an option.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
ilysm ilysm I'm aware, but I was looking forward to the potential of playing as Knuckles so much. He was going to be my main, and now to know for absolute certain that it isn't going to happen, it's really depressing.

I probably should have specifically said the updates went out with a whimper, not the game itself, as the game still exists. My bad.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Never played it honestly since I live in Europe but I've always been interested. Too bad it ended.

If they're working on their original brawler project, I actually hope it's a full-on parody of Super Smash Bros.
Same exact mechanics (if legally possible of course) with exaggerated parodies of all Nintendo characters.
Something like a Fox with strong furry elements into it, or a Ridley-like character which is actually extremely big to the point of being barely playable. Call it Super Smashing Bros. or something.

D

Deleted member

Pwnz0rz Man Pwnz0rz Man Comeback Kid Comeback Kid @Everyone who saw my first post: Listen, I understand that it's going to be tricky to continue forward without the dev team at the center of everything, holding everything down. But we haven't lost everything. The game isn't just over. It hasn't 'gone out with a whimper'; it hasn't gone out at all. It hasn't 'been a good run', the run isn't over yet. I'm not 'sad to see it go'; it hasn't gone anywhere yet. We don't have a continuous stream of updates and features, okay. We've still got top players. We've still got central community members. We've still got dedicated streams that, if I had to guess, are not going down without a fight. We have gathering places and email addresses and Youtube accounts. We have Smashboards. We have Reddit. We have Hitbox. We have the Ladder.

Also, nobody's stopping us from playing Project M.

Our community has always been regarded as one of the 'softest' ones of any Smash game. We've been reliant on devs and higher-ups to organize and inform us almost since the beginning of the game. Now we're not. How is that the end? How is that an impossible situation? I feel pretty Nintendo stopped caring about Melee at least eight years ago. I don't need to remind you of everything that community has accomplished. We've always claimed we're a 'real' game, we've always claimed we're a 'real' scene.

Now we've got a chance to show it.
Agreed.

I still want those new characters and skins to be released SOMEHOW.

I didn't get 3.6 cause I was holding out for 4.0 which was rumored to come out this month.

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
I mean yes, we can still play the game, but with a lack of a website/social media/official download links, the game can't grow. This saddens me the most.

Last edited:

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
Agreed.

I still want those new characters and skins to be released SOMEHOW.

I didn't get 3.6 cause I was holding out for 4.0 which was rumored to come out this month.
Let's just get a 4.0 version to be released somehow and let it be the final perfect version. And somehow add Ridley, Lyn, Isaac and Knuckles via the clone engine.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
zen-bz- zen-bz- I have classes in a minute so I don't have time to say this more often, but I think it's untrue that the community can't grow now. We have difficulties, yes. Difficulties that Smash 64 and Melee and even Brawl all had and are having. What we do not have is anything actually stopping us from playing the game. I'm serious. As long as people can pick up a controller and start playing Project M, our game will be able to grow.

(This sounds like an 'uphill both ways' story now that I read it back but it's true and I think it means something): I played my first Project M tournament in the rain on the ground in an empty lot with a CRT and Wii under a tarp because the venue was locked and only eight or nine of us actually showed up. The TO's were nowhere to be found and the biweekly we were at had been going on without a hiccup for months at that point. Nobody knew what was going on. We didn't leave; we found a power outlet in the side of the building and unloaded our Wii and CRT and played in the parking lot. It started to rain, and we got out tarps from our cars and even a deflated kiddie pool from the trunk of someone's car and we covered the equipment and got wet, and dammit, we played Project M. This all sounds very theatrical but my point is this; that tournament was a disaster. It had everything going against it. But it was my first, and that absolute flop of a tournament in the middle of nowhere midwest brought a new player into the community: me. So that's why I don't believe you when you say we can't grow any longer. I love this game. I'm pretty sure everyone here loves this game. I'm going to continue being excited about Project M, and I'm going to continue talking about Project M in an excited tone of voice until my friends are sick of me, and I'm going to continue trying to teach anybody who will listen to me about every random little detail I know and continue to learn about this game. And as long as there's nothing stopping me from playing Project M, dammit, I'm going to play Project M.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
You guys are being way too presumptuous in believing that the leaked characters were being worked on all along and were close to ready for the next release. We have absolutely no confirmation on that.

They could have decided to cease all work on them after the leaks sapped their interest, which is a strong possibility, and changed focus on improving the characters we already have and the game as a whole.

The only thing we should even be assuming is more costumes and stages were on the way, anything else is purely speculation.

Top Bottom